Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Didnt make it in today regrettably. what a performance.

Im sure plenty will say that they only won because cratloe were tired but not really true, they came back into it from 15 mins on and were the better team from there on. They should have pushed on when 4 up in 2nd half but messed up same as sars got a man sent off and let them back in.

Agree with the players mentioned firball yeah, costelloe was excellent. Was bryan sull 7 from 7 on shooting or did he hit a few wides? 7 from 7 from midfield would be a fairly exceptional performance.

He hit won a bit wayward at the end, but it didn't actually go wide, dropped short. Unbelievable accuracy, he was almost nonchalant for some of them.

Graeme Mulcahy in full flight is a wonderful hurler, few forwards in the game better than him. Skilful, quick, intelligent, works unbelievably hard. His hooking and block, in addition to his accuracy make him a top class forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

No question about it, Limerick club hurling is best in Munster at the moment. I'd have possibly feared for Kilmallock today had it been v Thurles. Need to get the AI now, Na Piarsaigh threw 2 away to inferior teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Great win today. Great for kilmallock and great for limerick hurling. When nap were beaten in county final a lot of people including myself thought some other county would win Munster. So glad I was wrong. What a game. Still plenty to work on which is great too. Cratloe could have had another few goals which is worrying going forward but the scoring from the kilmallock lads was exhibition stuff at times. Felt gom with all his experience was foolish to get involved when already on a yellow but these things happen from time to time I suppose. Overall though a great day for limerick with kildimo winning also. Congrats to both teams and best of luck going forward.

I know the Kilmallock supporters and players were very very confident ahead of today. I doubted them, but they were obviously justified in their belief that they would win. Definitely the better team once they got over the early barrage. Cratloe always had a goal threat, but Kilmallock had a gameplan and the players to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

There shooting from range was a joy to watch

• Advertisement

Barry hennessey made a couple of great saves but made 2 errors as well, will stand to him, little doubt he's the best shot stopper in the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Barry hennessey made a couple of great saves but made 2 errors as well, will stand to him, little doubt he's the best shot stopper in the county.
    I'd nearly give that accolade to Brian Murray to be honest, though Hennessey not too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

great game to watch as a neutral ( of sorts) today one of the games of the year fair play to kilmallock a great opportunity now to win an all ireland club with the galway championship all over the place and with the favorable draw of portaferry waiting for them in febuary , provided they keep there eye on the ball for that one they should be looking at a day out in croker on paddies day in my opinion it will probably be against the leinster champions and ,most likely ballyhale

great game to watch as a neutral ( of sorts) today one of the games of the year fair play to kilmallock a great opportunity now to win an all ireland club with the galway championship all over the place and with the favorable draw of portaferry waiting for them in febuary , provided they keep there eye on the ball for that one they should be looking at a day out in croker on paddies day in my opinion it will probably be against the leinster champions and ,most likely ballyhale

I'd agree, most likely Ballyhale, certainly beatable but Kilmallock would have to up by upwards of 20% and tighten the defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Fantastic win for Kilmallock yesterday. They all played with huge commitment. However, their defence will need to improve as Cratloe had a crazy amount of goal chances. It was a strange one as regard perfomances. Alot of players didnt have their best game and in fact played quite poorly but Bryan O Sullivan, Jake Mulcahy and Graeme Mulcahy were outstanding! As good an exhibition of shooting from 2 midfielders that I have ever seen.

Don't want to sound too harsh as it was a fantastic game and a credit to both sets of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

What age is Jake Mulcahy.

Orizio wrote: »
    What age is Jake Mulcahy.

About 22,23

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Yeah he would be 22/23.
    I dunno does he start on the UCC Fitz team, can't remember him playing U21 for Limerick either :confused:
    Seems the move out the field has helped him, certainly possesses the strength and power to play there.

Must say, Kilmallock's aerial dominance was a real sight to marvel at yesterday. Hennessy's puckouts were brilliant but the fielding of Mulcahy, Egan and O'Brien provided the platform for simple scores that kept the game close despite being outplayed. With each outing Barry looks a better option than Nickie in goals. I think GOM to half forward line instead of Breen and Nickie to half back could be a plan.

I suppose without trying them out at IC county level we will never know but I presume we will see a good few more Kilmallock lads drafted in for next year based on this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

I do not think that Nickie Quaid would have been caught for the last goal or possibly the 2nd either.
    Barry Hennessy is a fine keeper and made some great saves yesterday again but probably has a bit to learn about controlling his goal area.

The Kilmallock players will not be available for the early league games so that could hinder the chances of some of them getting a run on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Jake mulchay 22 at most I'd imagine u21 limerick 2013 last year on the panel with robbie Egan, mark o loughlin and Kevin o donnell Kilmallock on panel under tj Ryan also
    He played in a lot of trial challenge games.

Graduated from ucc this summer like conor lehane.
    I don't think there still at ucc unless there doing more Education as both got there degrees.

Cu Baire wrote: »
    I do not think that Nickie Quaid would have been caught for the last goal or possibly the 2nd either.
    Barry Hennessy is a fine keeper and made some great saves yesterday again but probably has a bit to learn about controlling his goal area.

The Kilmallock players will not be available for the early league games so that could hinder the chances of some of them getting a run on the team.

I agree with this. While Hennessy is no doubt a good goalkeeper and had a decent game overall, he made a couple of glaring mistakes - last goal trying to rise the ball in front of the square, also got half blocked down when had plenty of time to clear the ball - resulted in a point - could have been worse. He will be there or there abouts with Limerick but still not 100% convinced he is as good as Nicky or Murphy.

Kevin O Donnell, Jake Mulcahy, Bryan O Sullivan, Robert Egan (if can improve speed) and Eoin Ryan are the players that I think should be tried next year. Maybe O' Loughlins also but don't think they are quite up to it. Very good club players mind.

I know there's 2 Bryan O'Sullivan's... which was the one who captained the strike team? And who played in 2009?

Jake Mulcahy was on U-21 panels but never really got a run for whatever reason. I always found it surprising because he's been a clinical scorer at club level for years.

Eoin Ryan has been in and around county panels before, but never made it... he'd be a different type of forward, but I'm not sure he's anywhere near the same class as Downes, Dowling, Mulcahy or Tobin. Egan... I'd have had big hopes for him, but he was poor yesterday and bar his undoubted aerial prowess and strength, not sure he has what it takes for intercounty hurling. Worth giving a go though, he's versatile too.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I know there's 2 Bryan O'Sullivan's... which was the one who captained the strike team? And who played in 2009?

Jake Mulcahy was on U-21 panels but never really got a run for whatever reason. I always found it surprising because he's been a clinical scorer at club level for years.

Eoin Ryan has been in and around county panels before, but never made it... he'd be a different type of forward, but I'm not sure he's anywhere near the same class as Downes, Dowling, Mulcahy or Tobin. Egan... I'd have had big hopes for him, but he was poor yesterday and bar his undoubted aerial prowess and strength, not sure he has what it takes for intercounty hurling. Worth giving a go though, he's versatile too.

Not sure as regards the two Bryan O Sullivan's but the Bryan O Sullivan that played midfield yesterday captained the team when alot of Limerick players were on strike. He also played with UCC.

Cu Baire wrote: »

Agree with that, but in fairness to hennessey he hasnt come up against too many forwards of the calibre of McGrath and yesterdays game will stand to him. The big wind up clearances need to go too - he done the same against sars and was lucky, cant imagine the sparrow isnt going to work on it between here and Feb. Think yesterday could be the push he needs to be a better all rounder no doubt he's an excellent shot stopper.

Not sure too many of the kilmallock players can go from good club to county players but there still developing and are young enough.

• Advertisement

O Sullivan's problem is he is fairly inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Agree with that, but in fairness to hennessey he hasnt come up against too many forwards of the calibre of McGrath and yesterdays game will stand to him. The big wind up clearances need to go too - he done the same against sars and was lucky, cant imagine the sparrow isnt going to work on it between here and Feb. Think yesterday could be the push he needs to be a better all rounder no doubt he's an excellent shot stopper.

Exactly. Not trying to be hard on him as he definitely has potential to be Limerick's first choice keeper in the future but probably not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Na P were the highest represented on the limerick panel last year, I'd expect that to swing to Kilmallock now. Jake Mulcahy, O'Donnell, O'Sullivan, Mark O'Loughlin, and Hennessy have all surely put themselves in the frame for the limerick squad. Of course if they end up playing into March they mightn't have the league opportunity to stake a claim for a starting place, but there are very few spots up for grabs anyway. I hope they go on and win it out, they're more than capable of it.

They'll have a few in the squad i suppose but KO'D is the only one id see solving a problem area for us, and even then there's no room for him to prove himself with county. (obviously ye all know i want hennessey in goal at this stage)

See the sparrow said in paper at weekend that both GOM and POB can be guilty of over training, something offered up in the wake of poor performances on here previously.

They'll have a few in the squad i suppose but KO'D is the only one id see solving a problem area for us, and even then there's no room for him to prove himself with county. (obviously ye all know i want hennessey in goal at this stage)

See the sparrow said in paper at weekend that both GOM and POB can be guilty of over training, something offered up in the wake of poor performances on here previously.

Interesting. Non vintage seasons from both. Hopefully the panel is a bit deeper this year, they'll hardly need to be pressed back into service until the end of the league at the earliest. Will be interesting to see is GOM tried at wing forward on his return, I expect he'll stay in his spot at wing back.

I'd see Morrissey, Hickey and Tom Ryan as being ahead of KOD to shore up the half back line. Mightn't be a much time for a player from Kilmallock to force their way in before championship but if they're standing out in training they can force their way in, even as the summer progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

None of the players mentioned have the compliment of bite stomach for battle with hurling for limerick bar Kevin o donnell.
    The rest lack one quality either hurling or aggression in their hurling.

Jake mulchay is a fine club hurler but won't have the bite for senior elite hurling.
    Eoin Ryan is not up to elite level was poor Sunday
    The loughlin at three and six have been at the heart of a team that in two games conceded six goals and but for a poor touch of Cratloe who had little hurling done over football the week before, misses at least three more.
    Sullivan isn't up to elite level.
    Tj will bring in these lad's but in truth you must look at who they beat.
    I said all year in cork thread sarsfields were an average cork side, yet ye took extra time to win it.
    Cratloe were only at eighty per cent due to dualism yet the same scenario. Kilmallock are struggling to put away teams, yet people think a fresh ballyhale with around six intercounty kilkenny elite players,the greatest of all time in at least four if they get to the final Kilmallock are certainly capable beating who just have a lot of good but limited club players Imo is incorrect and no better team like kilkenny team to prove that.

Now sarsfields forwards in cork I said all year cork thread are just average, fraggie great servants but legs are gone,Tadhg o Murphy very average hurler, Cian mac also limited mobility just look at the scores ye conceded

Ye should pray ballyhale don't win, as they if they meet ye will crucify that full back line in king henry who imo will retire wants he swansong like Brian o driscoll this year winning six nation, henry always speak of he's club he owes them everything their is huge focus in club to win all ireland for him

Now keep mind the huge defence problems ye have and think what will cha fitzpatrick, fennellly and tj Reid and shefflin do to this weak Kilmallock defence
    Those four are not like ye met so far bar tired Cratloe forwards being an exceptional like sarsfields forwards and in fact Reid shefflin and fennellly are a cut above Cratloe forwards in what they achieved so who will stop them

This was as mcgrath Cratloe manager said today and clear as day to many, once Cratloe went to extra time there were out on their feet,only one winner.
    Third game in three weeks, and twice extra time only one winner

Kilmallock performance is not being judged at face value.
    Good win but in truth once it went to extra time only one winner.
    Look at the game again, mcgrath collins could not close down Kilmallock.

Cratloe had no hurling done up to only last week due to football, third game in winter conditions in three weeks, intercounty players would struggle with that but club players invariably find it too much.

Since the munster started they had four games between football and hurling to Kilmallock two.

If Kilmallock were as good as the limerick response is making them out to be why didn't they win in normal time.
    This is similar to cork v limerick munster final 2013,limerick won with extra man but struggled for an hour to do so

The talk after was full of poise, Guile, pace etc etc.
    I said clare would win as there was glaring problems with the team.
    The hype clouded that as limerick just Could not accept they had problems in the team.

It's the same with Kilmallock.
    They will hammer the northern team and hype will go on and on for this is the all ireland finally.
    But if it's ballyhale huge problems ye have in defence.

Gavin o mahony and o brien have to start at half back to hold tj Reid and cha fitzpatrick and fennellly.
    A huge ask but with o donnell they could but tj Reid is unplayable at times.

Who marks henry inside????
    Ye have no one.
    Cussen a poor poor hurler causes loughin huge problem.
    Shefflin will destroy him with High ball.

Now If you take o mahony out of half forward where he's limited to be fair fennellly the other brother will dominate centre back.
    In fact fennellly probably dominate him anyway as o mahony is not a natural forward.
    Eoin Ryan, mulchay wont have the bite for him.

Kilmallock have too many problems with two few options to fill.

Ghraham mulchay outstanding hurler Is lethal but joey holden will mark him and he may get points a few he won't get goals though.
    Bryan sullivan had brilliant day last day will he do it again seven points unlikey.
    Paudie o brien four points but again he's needed as a back.

Kilmallock are stuck between a rock and hard place
    They have no forwards bar mulchay, so much three defenders in outstanding and real limerick senior talent in two years paddy loughlin, Gavin o mahony and o brien play as forwards but doing so yere defence is porous.
    So the choice is put the two lad's back shore up the defence but they wont score enough or win ball up front then.

They could have a slim chance if they played a sweeper but that won't happen and no chance as Kilmallock will play direct limerick style,live off moral victory of kilkenny defeat thinking direct style we can beat ballyhale, in truth it's meat and Drink to these boys.

The bookies have Kilmallock second favourite as ye are in all ireland final as opponent is poor.
    But if ballyhale get Kilmallock in wide open Croke Park this defence is going to leak goals and a lot to be brutally honest.
    They had Bruff 1/3 look what happened.
    Yere best beat would be to struggle v the opponents in semi to the dampen enthusim but ye will win handy as the hype will go in to over drive especially limerick team in all ireland in paddy days of all days,the green colour link and shamrock and all of that and people will dream of destiny and fate etc for limerick hurling.
    Unfortunately ballyhale will win the game of hurling and as schools, minors, seniors proved last year kilkenny know how to handle limerick hurling too well.and kilkenny teams don't dream of faith there the captains of their own soul,they just have too much talent for Kilmallock imo and should they meet Kilmallock will do well to keep it competive.

TTM there is no hype regarding kilmallock, no one xpects them to beat ballyhale, everyone has commended them on winning a munster that was pretty unlikeky when they got thrashed by Na P in the first round. I saw them play Granagh/Ball and to come from there to a munster is a great achievement. They've got plenty of bottle and a good coach imo. Well done to them.

Interesting. Non vintage seasons from both. Hopefully the panel is a bit deeper this year, they'll hardly need to be pressed back into service until the end of the league at the earliest. Will be interesting to see is GOM tried at wing forward on his return, I expect he'll stay in his spot at wing back.

I'd see Morrissey, Hickey and Tom Ryan as being ahead of KOD to shore up the half back line. Mightn't be a much time for a player from Kilmallock to force their way in before championship but if they're standing out in training they can force their way in, even as the summer progresses.

Yeah agree on the 3 you named ahead of him, think hickey has to move out who fills the corner back role is the big question I think. Dempsey doesnt appear to be on the radar. Condon and Walsh were poor enough at times last year, I honestly dont know who id throw in there. suppose we'll know in 6 or 7 weeks time what a squad looks like.

Yeah agree on the 3 you named ahead of him, think hickey has to move out who fills the corner back role is the big question I think. Dempsey doesnt appear to be on the radar. Condon and Walsh were poor enough at times last year, I honestly dont know who id throw in there. suppose we'll know in 6 or 7 weeks time what a squad looks like.

It surely has to be Dempsey. When TJ was U-21 manager, Dempsey was our best player by a mile. Him and Carmody dominated while we were getting overrun. He's just quality.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It surely has to be Dempsey. When TJ was U-21 manager, Dempsey was our best player by a mile. Him and Carmody dominated while we were getting overrun. He's just quality.

I agree. Being captain of LIT should really put him in view too. It would be strange if a captain of a strong Fitzgibbon team wasn't making his county team, or at least given strong opportunity.

I'd add that given dempsey's experience playing midfield for Na P and LIT he is well placed to fulfil the same role as hickey did this year following a player out the field if needs be. Not saying he is as good as Hickey but then only maybe Cahill from Tipp or Murphy from kk are as good as Hickey at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement