Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Given the quality of youngsters we've been producing of late cant argue that he wasnt doing a good job imo, so therefore he is a loss, potentially a big loss if we replace hime with some total muppet which would be standard form for us.

Get kinnerk to double up the hurling and football?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Given the quality of youngsters we've been producing of late cant argue that he wasnt doing a good job imo, so therefore he is a loss, potentially a big loss if we replace hime with some total muppet which would be standard form for us.

Get kinnerk to double up the hurling and football?
    Agree on the first point, the second would be ideal if it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Not all underage success leads to senior success but no success at all at underage is a sure guarantee that you will never succeed at senior.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Although Kerry won no minor football for 20 years before this year, but still won 6 seniors - I take your point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Club draws for 2015

Senior Hurling
    Group 1. Kilmallock, Ahane, South Liberties, Murroe Boher, Effin, Patrickswell
    Group 2. Na Piarsaigh, Doon, Ballybrown, Adare, Bruff and Croom

Intermediate Hurling
    Group 1. Mungret, Cappamore, Feenagh-Kilmeedy, Knockaderry, Caherline and St Kieran
    Group 2. Glenroe, Kildimo-Pallaskenry, Hospital-Herbertstown, Newcastle West, Claughaun and Feohanagh/Castlemahon

Senior Football
    Group 1. Ballylanders, Pallasgreen, St Mary's Sean Finns, St Patrick's, Dromcollogher Broadford and Monaleen
    Group 2. Newcastlewest, Fr Caseys, Adare, St Kieran's, Ballysteen and Na Piarsaigh.

Intermediate Football
    Group 1. Claughaun, Feohanagh/Castlemahon, St. Senans, Mountcollins, Hospital Herbertstown and Bruff
    Group 2. Oola, Mungret, Galbally, Cappamore, Athea and Glin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Board decided that all heads needed to roll for the failure to win the minor title, and some were adamant on that. I won't sugar coat it; in a nutshell Wallace is paying the price for the mistakes of Brian Ryan. I've spoken to about 10 of the lads on the panel, were not happy at all with the management overall but spoke highly of Wallace and McDonagh. Mixed feelings on Cregan; they said all he did was moan and complain and constantly criticise, they say he spent the Galway game complaining despite the fact we were always comfortable. They had some bad feelings towards Brian Ryan, I'd say more but it would be boards.ie's door the solicitors letter would arrive on and not mine...

The management team did screw it up this year, but even had they done everything right that is still no guarantee we'd have beaten Kilkenny. But holding the management team responsible in its entirety is a big mistake, but that's just the way our board do things I guess.

Anyone know who won the chairman's vote?

Mann won comfortably. (207-95)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Pandiani wrote: »
    Club draws for 2015

Senior Hurling
    Group 1. Kilmallock, Ahane, South Liberties, Murroe Boher, Effin, Patrickswell
    Group 2. Na Piarsaigh, Doon, Ballybrown, Adare, Bruff and Croom

Intermediate Hurling
    Group 1. Mungret, Cappamore, Feenagh-Kilmeedy, Knockaderry, Caherline and St Kieran
    Group 2. Glenroe, Kildimo-Pallaskenry, Hospital-Herbertstown, Newcastle West, Claughaun and Feohanagh/Castlemahon

Senior Football
    Group 1. Ballylanders, Pallasgreen, St Mary's Sean Finns, St Patrick's, Dromcollogher Broadford and Monaleen
    Group 2. Newcastlewest, Fr Caseys, Adare, St Kieran's, Ballysteen and Na Piarsaigh.

Intermediate Football
    Group 1. Claughaun, Feohanagh/Castlemahon, St. Senans, Mountcollins, Hospital Herbertstown and Bruff
    Group 2. Oola, Mungret, Galbally, Cappamore, Athea and Glin.

Both promoted teams in the one group in senior, that's a good thing in some ways, at least one will survive. Probably between the 2 of them & Ballybrown for relegation; hard to see beyond NaP, Doon and Adare for qualification. In the other group, you'd imagine Kilmallock, Ahane and Patrickswell to qualify... South Liberties to go down, I reckon.

Group 1 of the football is ridiculously hard! The two finalists from this year + Drom and Monaleen. Na Piarsaigh have got an alright group... they could come last, none of those teams are pushovers, but you wouldn't write off a quarter-final place either. You'd imagine Casey's & NCW will come through anyway.

Pallasgreen or Adare for relegation, I reckon.

From a K/P point of view, Glenroe are a strong intermediate team, probably should have gone up this year. Feoghanagh/Castlemahon are just promoted but I reckon they'll be quite strong, have some very talented players. H/H will fancy their chances going back up, but maybe we could sneak ahead of the others. Injuries permitting though, always a big factor at that level. Mungret to finally go up? Knockaderry should come out of that group too.

As for intermediate football... don't know a huge amount about those teams, but Mungret, St. Senan's, Galbally would look the strongest. Glin to go on another run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What's going on here lads?

• Advertisement

What's going on here lads?

Clare won't give up home advantage in the football, Cusack Park too small to hold the hurling.

Happened with Tipp this year (Limerick footballers didn't give up home advantage... got beaten handily anyway :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Clare won't give up home advantage in the football, Cusack Park too small to hold the hurling.

Happened with Tipp this year (Limerick footballers didn't give up home advantage... got beaten handily anyway :()

I thought it was both hurling :o

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Agree on the first point, the second would be ideal if it's possible.
    Would be great to see Kinnerk involved in a director of coaching role, especially 'coaching the coaches', we've only been really competitive for 2 or 3 years at minor, the focus needs to continue in producing good teams/players and the aim should be to get to croke park for the minors at least once every 3 years or so, only by getting players used to getting out of Munster and playing at croker will this hoodoo of playing at croker for limerick teams be broken...

Jerry Wallace replaced by Anthony Daly...

I've huge respect for Daly; but whether he's the right man for this job I'm not so sure. Bit of a Hollywood appointment that one I'd say.

Bit of a Hollywood appointment that one I'd say.

More like a Martinstown appointment I'd say :D

Will certainly grab the attention, that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

ugggh. That doesnt sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Jerry Wallace replaced by Anthony Daly...

I've huge respect for Daly; but whether he's the right man for this job I'm not so sure. Bit of a Hollywood appointment that one I'd say.
    Replacing wallis as minor trainer or underage director? Or both? Bit ridiculous if true, we need a young hungry ambitious coach with progressive ideas, don't think Dalo is any of that really, not what is needed at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Iecrawfc wrote: »
    Replacing wallis as minor trainer or underage director? Or both? Bit ridiculous if true, we need a young hungry ambitious coach with progressive ideas, don't think Dalo is any of that really, not what is needed at all

i think he is doing both , in other words a direct replacement. players will have no problem working with the guy very easy to get on with i am told and in fairness did get the best out of the clare/dublin teams he took charge of and very much over achieved , boxed well above there weight

on the down side some of the results over the years were hit and miss shipping up some very heavy defeats along the way , the likes of john minogue would have been ideal for this type of roll ,in fact i could think of 5 or 6 candidates from clare that would have relevant experience ahead of daly in this field

It is time for Limerick to trust their own. TJ is senior manager by default though he is by far the best man for the job. There are plenty of knowledgeable coaches in Limerick who understand Limericks way far better than any import. At the end of the day they ( the imports) all go home to their own counties and don't give a fig what happens in the county they leave once they have the expenses in the back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

It is time for Limerick to trust their own. TJ is senior manager by default though he is by far the best man for the job. There are plenty of knowledgeable coaches in Limerick who understand Limericks way far better than any import. At the end of the day they ( the imports) all go home to their own counties and don't give a fig what happens in the county they leave once they have the expenses in the back pocket.

Limerick havent won an all ireland at minor, under 21 or senior with a limerick manager since 1987.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

shockframe wrote: »
    Limerick havent won an all ireland at minor, under 21 or senior with a limerick manager since 1987.

And they haven't won an all Ireland at minor or senior with an outside manager ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Does 3 AIs at u21 with a Cork manager mean you never let one of your own near a team again?

Cu Baire wrote: »
    And they haven't won an all Ireland at minor or senior with an outside manager ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Does 3 AIs at u21 with a Cork manager mean you never let one of your own near a team again?

No it doesn't but its this chest beating slamming pint glasses on a table nonsense that Limerick is a hurling superpower that must hand the managerial keys over to pure hurling Limerick men and Limerick men alone who will get us back to traditional Limerick values (the ones that served us so well post-3 in a row 21's) that people inside Limerick and indeed outsiders espouse when they don't have an utter clue about how the county works.

We have already had three (Count em) three PR disasters with managers this year and yet people from outside the county are telling us to have faith that people will act for the good of Limerick hurling. ZombieHanalei's take on the minor hurling setup is as good an example of how things operate in the county as you'll get.

We havent had a top Limerck manager at senior since Tom Ryan. Before anyone mentions TJ that is nowhere near conslusive for now.The saving grace possibly is that Beary and Cronin are fine additions. O'Grady arrived in 2010 with perhaps the most shambolic setup of an inter county side since the late 80s and made a huge impact along with Wallace in bringing some badly needed respectability and direction.

That our most successful coaches in recent times are from Cork (Keane, Fitzgerald, Allen, O'Grady, Wallace) doesn't bother me in the slightest. They were successful with Limerick. If a Limerickman was a proven success I'd be the first to get them on board if I had my way.Kinnerk for instance.I'd have high hopes for the 21s this year too by the way.

Whether the best man is from Carrigkerry and Carrick On Shannon doesnt concern me in the slightest but theres all talk about fellas being in Limerick for the lavish expenses. Are outside managers/selectors surviving in other counties through love of the game?

FWIW Joe Mcgrath of Down as trainer was a major influence in the build up to 1973.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

No it doesn't but its this chest beating slamming pint glasses on a table nonsense that Limerick is a hurling superpower that must hand the managerial keys over to pure hurling Limerick men and Limerick men alone who will get us back to traditional Limerick values (the ones that served us so well post-3 in a row 21's) that people inside Limerick and indeed outsiders espouse when they don't have an utter clue about how the county works.

We have already had three (Count em) three PR disasters with managers this year and yet people from outside the county are telling us to have faith that people will act for the good of Limerick hurling. ZombieHanalei's take on the minor hurling setup is as good an example of how things operate in the county as you'll get.

We havent had a top Limerck manager at senior since Tom Ryan. Before anyone mentions TJ that is nowhere near conslusive for now.The saving grace possibly is that Beary and Cronin are fine additions. O'Grady arrived in 2010 with perhaps the most shambolic setup of an inter county side since the late 80s and made a huge impact along with Wallace in bringing some badly needed respectability and direction.

That our most successful coaches in recent times are from Cork (Keane, Fitzgerald, Allen, O'Grady, Wallace) doesn't bother me in the slightest. They were successful with Limerick. If a Limerickman was a proven success I'd be the first to get them on board if I had my way.Kinnerk for instance.I'd have high hopes for the 21s this year too by the way.

Whether the best man is from Carrigkerry and Carrick On Shannon doesnt concern me in the slightest but theres all talk about fellas being in Limerick for the lavish expenses. Are outside managers/selectors surviving in other counties through love of the game?

FWIW Joe Mcgrath of Down as trainer was a major influence in the build up to 1973.
    Brilliantly Said I agree with most of that

I wouldn't have a problem with the outsiders as such but I do feel the way we choose managers is flawed and I'd prefer a return to the pre 2011 method.

Our board go to the bother of assembling a committee to make a shortlist and make a recommendation on the best candidate but this has largely been for show, the board were pulling the strings all along.

They went after O'Grady at the end of 2010, and got their man.
    O'Grady made it clear from the outset it was a one year deal, but the board kept seeking an extension; O'Grady played along until the team exited the championship, and stepped down once his one year agreement was up.
    Board continued to persist, O'Grady stood firm. Eventually I'm told they settled on O'Grady's recommendation; I can't confirm this but I'm led to believe he recommended TJ Ryan first and Ciaran Carey second.

This didn't satisfy some so they asked again; O'Grady recommended Allen if they weren't willing to take on Ryan or Carey.

When the appointment was originally made in 2010 that O'Grady's selectors were chosen for him; Carey, Ryan and Pat Heffernan, and you may vaguely recall talk that O'Grady was brought in to put something in place after the 2010 disaster, that it was always a one year deal, and that at the end of the year one of those three selectors would take the managerial position for 2011. The idea was that O'Grady would come in and at the end of the year make a recommendation on which one of the three he felt would be the best placed to take the top job.

O'Grady kept his word, did his year and made his recommendation at the end. The board deviated from that agreement, and continued to pursue him despite him making it clear from the outset it was a one year deal.

At the end of 2012, I am led to believe an enquiry was made to O'Grady again as some weren't fully convinced by Allen, but he had enough support so that his position wasn't under any major threat, and he was happy enough to give it another year.

Fast forward to the end of 2013, Allen steps down. Again, the board decide to pursue O'Grady, I've heard conflicting stories on whether he or Liam Sheedy was the first choice, but either way it didn't matter as Liam Sheedy left them in no doubt that the only county he was willing to manage is Tipperary. I've been told Sheedy was merely a smokescreen to call O'Grady's bluff, but I find that very hard to believe, I can only imagine interest in Sheedy to have been genuine.

But they kept badgering O'Grady over and over again. Eventually O'Grady stated he might be willing to, but again only for one year. Negotiations went on and eventually it was decided to try and force O'Grady's hand, so they approached Ger Cunningham, and their treatment of him was pretty damn lousy. They used him as a pawn in their bid to hurry O'Grady's decision, but they led him to believe their interest was genuine to the point that Cunningham resigned his post in the Cork set up. He was only ever an absolute last resort, they were willing to actually appoint him but not unless they were absolutely 100% certain O'Grady wouldn't come back.

O'Grady is supposed to have reminded them at an early stage "What about the fact you ignored my reccomendation at the end of 2011?" and that is supposedly why TJ's name was always hanging about as an option for the job last September, I'm led to believe that when they approached DO'G he actually recommended TJ again. After much more discussion and debate and haggling the DO'G/TJR emerged as a compromise.

Kept those with the Donal O'Grady infatuation happy.
    Kept Donal O'Grady happy because he only wanted 1 year and he got to work with a man he enjoyed a good working relationship with previously and if all went well he could leave at the end of 2014 knowing TJ was ready.
    Kept those with doubts over TJ's lack of experience happy.
    Kept the ever increasing element of those who wanted a Limerick man in charge happy.

Unfortunately they by and large fell out of love with O'Grady as the league went on which led to the public (false) statement that DO'G and TJR apologised for the league performance, this was a calculated move, some wanted O'Grady gone and they knew exactly how to make him walk. And he was right to, the carry on from the board was beyond juvenile.

Went off on a major tangent there, long story short, it's not the outside managers I have an issue with, it's how our board behave that is the issue. They crave attention, they are power mad. They have discarded with the minor management in it's entirety (which was akin to chopping off the head of a patient that merely needed minor facial reconstruction surgery; odd analogy, but point being; some elements of that backroom team were well worth retaining). They harshly relieved the under 21 management of their duties for losing to a team that would trouble most senior sides, but the Ciaran Carey ; county board dynamic is a whole other can of worms, and now they replaced a highly effective man in Jerry Wallace with a hollywood big name appointment. Daly could be just as effective, but there really was no need to dismiss Wallace, it shouldn't have happened.

All I'll say is, thank feck things are settled on the senior panel/management front otherwise I'd be like an antichrist right now!

Rant over :o

I'd say this; the fact that we put in a respectable championship campaign should not mask over the fact that the carry on of our board after the Galway game (league quarter final) was absolutely disgraceful.

Oliver Mann should have lost his position over that debacle alone, but instead he is comfortably returned with 70% of the floor voting for him.

Some good posts recently.

Getting Daly on board is big news, he is a huge name in hurling, probably a bigger media name than Wallace. But Wallace was doing a great job, everyone speaks highly of him... our underage structures are good atm. Wallace didn't get to attend to every single young hurler in Limerick obviously, but he put structures in place, implemented drills and other coaches were able to great work under his direction. Now there's no saying this won't continue, it might, but it just seems a bit silly to let someone who is clearly an asset go. I don't know what kind of money he was in but I can't imagine Daly is on less.

I like Daly, I would have liked him as Limerick manager when Allen left. But as an underage director? Better than Wallace? It's very hard to know, but he's been with Dublin so long and there was Clare before that, when did he last manage young hurlers. The only person I would have replaced Wallace with would be Paul Kinnerk, who is probably the foremost person in that category at the country atm.

I just hope he can have a similar effect on our footballers (I believe he can tbh, but he's working with a lower base, it's a much tougher task).

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Some good posts recently.

Getting Daly on board is big news, he is a huge name in hurling, probably a bigger media name than Wallace. But Wallace was doing a great job, everyone speaks highly of him... our underage structures are good atm. Wallace didn't get to attend to every single young hurler in Limerick obviously, but he put structures in place, implemented drills and other coaches were able to great work under his direction. Now there's no saying this won't continue, it might, but it just seems a bit silly to let someone who is clearly an asset go. I don't know what kind of money he was in but I can't imagine Daly is on less.

I like Daly, I would have liked him as Limerick manager when Allen left. But as an underage director? Better than Wallace? It's very hard to know, but he's been with Dublin so long and there was Clare before that, when did he last manage young hurlers. The only person I would have replaced Wallace with would be Paul Kinnerk, who is probably the foremost person in that category at the country atm.

I just hope he can have a similar effect on our footballers (I believe he can tbh, but he's working with a lower base, it's a much tougher task).

You'd have to wonder though what Kinnerk must be thinking following the last 3 years or so of Limerick hurling appointments. Does he really want to go near it. He acted very fast when the rot appeared to set in with Clare.

Underage performance has been good yes but Limerick hurling management is like a poisoned chalice.

You'd have to wonder though what Kinnerk must be thinking following the last 3 years or so of Limerick hurling appointments. Does he really want to go near it. He acted very fast when the rot appeared to set in with Clare.

Underage performance has been good yes but Limerick hurling management is like a poisoned chalice.

It's hard to know tbh... When he started working in Clare, I don't think he could have expected as much success as he's had there (maybe he did, I don't know).

The Limerick county board seem to have a sort of scattergun approach atm. It can be hard to see the logic in their actions... take Brian Ryan for example. He should never have been let near the minor management job tbh, Joe Quaid or Shane Fitzgibbon were the logical choices at the time. They gave Ryan the job... but then just discard him this year after backing him to the hilt? I know there were all sorts of things going on, but they happened last year too! And now dumping out Wallace... obviously Daly had been in the works for a while. It's weird.

As for Kinnerk himself, I don't know what he's thinking. To be honest, given what he's already achieved by the age of 30 or 31... he is hot property. Any county would love to have him on board. He is a Limerickman (I know he has Clare links too, but he plays for a Limerick club, has played intercounty for Limerick and has up along), I would imagine he's willing to give it a go. Even if things were to go sour, I doubt his reputation would be sullied. Look at Wallace, for example, I don't think he's come out of it badly at all- only the board have. Maybe it's not worth the hassle, but I doubt Kinnerk is doing the football with thoughts of winning All-Irelands (maybe he is!), I'd say it's just to help out his own county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I wouldn't have a problem with the outsiders as such but I do feel the way we choose managers is flawed and I'd prefer a return to the pre 2011 method.

Our board go to the bother of assembling a committee to make a shortlist and make a recommendation on the best candidate but this has largely been for show, the board were pulling the strings all along.

They went after O'Grady at the end of 2010, and got their man.
    O'Grady made it clear from the outset it was a one year deal, but the board kept seeking an extension; O'Grady played along until the team exited the championship, and stepped down once his one year agreement was up.
    Board continued to persist, O'Grady stood firm. Eventually I'm told they settled on O'Grady's recommendation; I can't confirm this but I'm led to believe he recommended TJ Ryan first and Ciaran Carey second.

This didn't satisfy some so they asked again; O'Grady recommended Allen if they weren't willing to take on Ryan or Carey.

When the appointment was originally made in 2010 that O'Grady's selectors were chosen for him; Carey, Ryan and Pat Heffernan, and you may vaguely recall talk that O'Grady was brought in to put something in place after the 2010 disaster, that it was always a one year deal, and that at the end of the year one of those three selectors would take the managerial position for 2011. The idea was that O'Grady would come in and at the end of the year make a recommendation on which one of the three he felt would be the best placed to take the top job.

O'Grady kept his word, did his year and made his recommendation at the end. The board deviated from that agreement, and continued to pursue him despite him making it clear from the outset it was a one year deal.

At the end of 2012, I am led to believe an enquiry was made to O'Grady again as some weren't fully convinced by Allen, but he had enough support so that his position wasn't under any major threat, and he was happy enough to give it another year.

Fast forward to the end of 2013, Allen steps down. Again, the board decide to pursue O'Grady, I've heard conflicting stories on whether he or Liam Sheedy was the first choice, but either way it didn't matter as Liam Sheedy left them in no doubt that the only county he was willing to manage is Tipperary. I've been told Sheedy was merely a smokescreen to call O'Grady's bluff, but I find that very hard to believe, I can only imagine interest in Sheedy to have been genuine.

But they kept badgering O'Grady over and over again. Eventually O'Grady stated he might be willing to, but again only for one year. Negotiations went on and eventually it was decided to try and force O'Grady's hand, so they approached Ger Cunningham, and their treatment of him was pretty damn lousy. They used him as a pawn in their bid to hurry O'Grady's decision, but they led him to believe their interest was genuine to the point that Cunningham resigned his post in the Cork set up. He was only ever an absolute last resort, they were willing to actually appoint him but not unless they were absolutely 100% certain O'Grady wouldn't come back.

O'Grady is supposed to have reminded them at an early stage "What about the fact you ignored my reccomendation at the end of 2011?" and that is supposedly why TJ's name was always hanging about as an option for the job last September, I'm led to believe that when they approached DO'G he actually recommended TJ again. After much more discussion and debate and haggling the DO'G/TJR emerged as a compromise.

Kept those with the Donal O'Grady infatuation happy.
    Kept Donal O'Grady happy because he only wanted 1 year and he got to work with a man he enjoyed a good working relationship with previously and if all went well he could leave at the end of 2014 knowing TJ was ready.
    Kept those with doubts over TJ's lack of experience happy.
    Kept the ever increasing element of those who wanted a Limerick man in charge happy.

Unfortunately they by and large fell out of love with O'Grady as the league went on which led to the public (false) statement that DO'G and TJR apologised for the league performance, this was a calculated move, some wanted O'Grady gone and they knew exactly how to make him walk. And he was right to, the carry on from the board was beyond juvenile.

Went off on a major tangent there, long story short, it's not the outside managers I have an issue with, it's how our board behave that is the issue. They crave attention, they are power mad. They have discarded with the minor management in it's entirety (which was akin to chopping off the head of a patient that merely needed minor facial reconstruction surgery; odd analogy, but point being; some elements of that backroom team were well worth retaining). They harshly relieved the under 21 management of their duties for losing to a team that would trouble most senior sides, but the Ciaran Carey ; county board dynamic is a whole other can of worms, and now they replaced a highly effective man in Jerry Wallace with a hollywood big name appointment. Daly could be just as effective, but there really was no need to dismiss Wallace, it shouldn't have happened.

All I'll say is, thank feck things are settled on the senior panel/management front otherwise I'd be like an antichrist right now!

Rant over :o

Reads like a spy thriller with twists and turns. Still it is our county board! Hard to know what to believe but if that did happen with Cunningham its disgraceful.

• Advertisement

We havent had a top Limerck manager at senior since Tom Ryan.

First no one is telling Limerick what to do. The GAA is based on the parish and from there to the county and no one but no one who is not from the county will have the same zeal and passion as the native for his own. There is more to managing and coaching than knowing a set of drills, there is pride in the jersey and no outsider be thatan outsider in Kilkenny or Kerry will ever have the passion for the county as a native Kilkenny or Kerry born man or woman and that too applies to Limerick. Where are the native Limerick Coaches going to get the experience if they are passed over from minor to senior within their own counties. I would also beg to differ that Tom Ryan was the last truly able native born Limerick Manager. Ritchie Bennis did no bad Job at all while TJ did more and a lot more than was expected of him last year especially allowing the starting point he had to come from. Rather than paying all these outsiders Limerick might very well do a lot better in the long term if they invested the outlay in the promoting of coaching within the county.
    When did the last outsider coach or manage Kilkenny Cork or Tipp the three most successful hurling counties. It may have happened but I doubt it and that is a lot of the reason behind their success. Not all coaches and managers in these counties were successful in-fact some were dire but they were given the chance because they had the zeal and passion to begin with. They were born with it and that cannot apply to an outsider..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement