Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Rightwing wrote: »
    I agree with all of that apart from Cork football bit. Not sure the players are there.

Happy new year to you and all on the limerick thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Anytime for the game tommorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Happy new year to you and all on the limerick thread

Same to yourself, and everyone else.

Anytime for the game tommorrow?

Two thirty martsinetown jp place

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Anyone have Limerick team lads ? From today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

N20 wrote: »

TTM on the Cork thread should have it.
    Heard a high scoring game between 2 mainly second string sides.
    Cork won by 6/7 points I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

N20 wrote: »

From another site:

Limerick: Aaron Murphy, Conor McEniry, Tony McMahon, Alan Dempsey, Mark Carmody, Conor Allis, Barry O'Connell, David Reidy, Seanie O'Brien, John Fitzgibbon, William Hickey, Tommy Quaid, Willie Griffin, Pa Begley, Kevin O'Brien. Sub: Cian Lynch for Reidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

From another site:

Limerick: Aaron Murphy, Conor McEniry, Tony McMahon, Alan Dempsey, Mark Carmody, Conor Allis, Barry O'Connell, David Reidy, Seanie O'Brien, John Fitzgibbon, William Hickey, Tommy Quaid, Willie Griffin, Pa Begley, Kevin O'Brien. Sub: Cian Lynch for Reidy.

Is McEniry from Bruff? And McMahon from Pallasgreen?

Wouldn't be hugely familiar with them, the rest have regularly been fringe players. You'd just wonder if there's much point in playing some players who realistically aren't going to be good enough for the Championship... but yeah, it's such a makeshift side, you couldn't read anything into that. Delighted for Willie Griffin and Barry O'Connell that they havae been given a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Limerick hurling panel for the league:

PANEL: David Breen, Shane Dowling, Kevin Downes, Cathal King, Adrian Breen (all Na Piarsaigh); Gavin O’Mahony, Graeme Mulcahy, Paudie O’Brien, Barry Hennessy (all Kilmallock), Declan Hannon, John Fitzgibbon, Wayne McNamara (all Adare), Niall Moran, Daniel Morrissey, Tom Morrissey (all Ahane), Thomas O’Brien, Cian Lynch, Seanie O’Brien (all Patrickswell), Seamus Hickey and Seanie Tobin (both Murroe-Boher), Patrick Begley (Mungret), Tom Ryan (South Liberties), David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca), Nickie Quaid (Effin), Tom Condon (Knockaderry), Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), James Ryan (Garryspillane), Paul Browne (Bruff), Donal O’Grady (Granagh-Ballingarry), Aaron Murphy (Hospital-Herbertstown), Stephen Walsh (Glenroe), Conor Allis (Croom).

Article from Limerick Leader here: http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/new-limerick-senior-hurling-panel-unveiled-1-6506653

Tom Morrissey and Cian Lynch will be exciting inclusions for the league and some may be surprised at the exclusion of Kevin O'Brien but he should make his way back into the squad throughout the league campaign. Great target man but I honestly think that everyone that has been raving about him on here is judging opinion from that one Limerick under 21 game last year. Go to all the P'well matches and you might see a few reasons why he is not on the panel...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Colemania wrote: »
    Limerick hurling panel for the league:

PANEL: David Breen, Shane Dowling, Kevin Downes, Cathal King, Adrian Breen (all Na Piarsaigh); Gavin O’Mahony, Graeme Mulcahy, Paudie O’Brien, Barry Hennessy (all Kilmallock), Declan Hannon, John Fitzgibbon, Wayne McNamara (all Adare), Niall Moran, Daniel Morrissey, Tom Morrissey (all Ahane), Thomas O’Brien, Cian Lynch, Seanie O’Brien (all Patrickswell), Seamus Hickey and Seanie Tobin (both Murroe-Boher), Patrick Begley (Mungret), Tom Ryan (South Liberties), David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca), Nickie Quaid (Effin), Tom Condon (Knockaderry), Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), James Ryan (Garryspillane), Paul Browne (Bruff), Donal O’Grady (Granagh-Ballingarry), Aaron Murphy (Hospital-Herbertstown), Stephen Walsh (Glenroe), Conor Allis (Croom).

Article from Limerick Leader here: http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/new-limerick-senior-hurling-panel-unveiled-1-6506653

No Alan Dempsey or any players from Doon!! Very surprised with that.

• Advertisement

Fairly uninspiring, though in fairness I think Lynch and morrissey were the two younger players everyone wanted to see involved. Half back looks like its still going to be the same 3 in the long run, unless ryan and morrissey have good leagues and hickey is moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

dcrosskid wrote: »
    No Alan Dempsey or any players from Doon!! Very surprised with that.

Yes very surprised that a) Alan Dempsey and Mark Carmody have been culled and b) no Richie English or Barry o'Connell included, obviously haven't seen how these players have looked but suggests that TJ is happy with the defense which is a worry! Surely Dempsey will come back into reckoning if he has a good fitzgibbon...good to see Cian Lynch and Tom Morrissey in, they are the two that could make an impact straight from the minor team, morrissey's goal getting may be invaluable in the summer if he gets a few in the league...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Yes very surprised that a) Alan Dempsey and Mark Carmody have been culled and b) no Richie English or Barry o'Connell included, obviously haven't seen how these players have looked but suggests that TJ is happy with the defense which is a worry! Surely Dempsey will come back into reckoning if he has a good fitzgibbon...good to see Cian Lynch and Tom Morrissey in, they are the two that could make an impact straight from the minor team, morrissey's goal getting may be invaluable in the summer if he gets a few in the league...

Lads which morrissey was half back for the u-21's this year? Is the the morrissey in the panel him or the FF from the minors?

Lads which morrissey was half back for the u-21's this year? Is the the morrissey in the panel him or the FF from the minors?

Dan Morrissey half back for 21s, brother Tom full forward for minors. Dan was on the panel last year and Tom is brought in now.

I said this all along tj doesn't or simply won't do much change simply in he's dna as coach against ruthless bold change

Just look at niall moran on the panel again

In fairness was never great begin with big big games yer he's carried again

Ask yere selves would Cody do that

No no he would not
    Limerick have visions beating Kilkenney
    I guarantee people there will be around twelve last year team starting this year as league panel be honest is good but poor in other areas

O Donnell kilmallock deserves call up yet overlooked for hennesy???

Morrisey fully deserved it good call like lynch also

Ronan isn't there but that's no fault tj simply ronan is being kept from senior by people close him to prevent burn out which fair enough

Even in game cork last week yes just challenge bit said cork thread showed again tj non tactical astuteness full back was all respect to lad was just being destroyed yet tj left him there didn't even try making a change

Limerick dream of all ireland is distance dream as this squad shows not talent is problem it's tj is stuck certainly type player and will not change and too too loyal to player he played with

Even now league huge worries for limerick and WExford will pose huge threat to ye in the league huge threat as I hear there targeting that game and fully belive they can get a result

I have criticsed tj many times I'n management not as player and many here felt it was harsh
    It wasn't as seen by this panel that even some said here is unspiring as I didn't wait this panel there's plenty indication last year tj is old school and too loyal to certain core player and he will live off last year like I said he would in one point loss Kilkenney worst thing ever happened limerick in tj thinks just slight improvement is needed on last year when fact remain huge improvement is actually needed imo

Hugely worrying imo panel picked

Curious also that Begley played FF v Cork and I only know him as aFB for the U-21's, along with the selection of morissey looks like we are looking for a target man at FF does that push dowling to the corner, and Downes as a half forward only.

Two morrisey Dan also

Tom full forward with minors got five points v cork devasting form ul fresher's and club has it all

He's lucky I'n under declan Fitzgerald he'll get good coaching at ul and limerick under twenty one with quIilty as won't get it imo in senior

Curious also that Begley played FF v Cork and I only know him as aFB for the U-21's, along with the selection of morissey looks like we are looking for a target man at FF does that push dowling to the corner, and Downes as a half forward only.

Cahalane had he's measure though he's okay but nothing great
    He's brother ex dual limerick star coached Mary I football sunday lad got goals in 2007 v Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

John Galvin retired today. What a warrior for Limerick GAA, may he enjoy his retirement.

It'll still haunt me how he was never recognised for his heroics in the Munster final of 2010 with an All-Star (as meaningless as they are now really, it's still good to be noted), behind Michael Dara of all people. Galvin would have made any team in the country in his prime, and sadly the cruciate injury robbed us of his last good year or two.

A true legend.

Yeah Brians brother

Not surprising cahalane had his measure when Begley is a FB himself.

Looking at the squad we havent unearthed a corner back from what i see which means hickey will stay in FB line. Wayne mac looks nailed on at CB then. Does selection of 3 keepers given any hope Nicky will be moved outfield? The guys who get chances at half back need to come up trumps i.e morrissey, tomas ryan, cathal king (possibly nicky), I dont have much faith in Kingwhich means Ryan and Morrissey need to come good in league. Corner back, half back are crucial spots for league. Midfield will be fine as long as the two incumbents are rested. The FF expt is also interesting one we'd all hope that morrissey can step up, would be our best option.

To further display my own ignorance what positions do the O'Briens for the well play, up to standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

To further display my own ignorance what positions do the O'Briens for the well play, up to standard?

Both can play from midfield to full forward line. Best positions at the moment would be Seanie in midfield or possibly half forward and Thomas as half forward also. Wasted in the full forward line for club and county.

Seanie's best games down the years had actually been in the half back line for ard scoil and club but he was pushed up the field as years went on.

EDIT: Regarding your comment about up to standard.....if Seanie hits form he'll be a great addition to the panel as he has a lot of energy and skill and is quite nippy. Can be wasteful and hotheaded at times but on form he really stands out. Outshone Tony Kelly for LIT quite a few times.

Thomas is also quite fast and skillful but can fade out of games. Needs strengthening also.

Both can play from midfield to full forward line. Best positions at the moment would be Seanie in midfield or possibly half forward and Thomas as half forward also. Wasted in the full forward line for club and county.

Seanie's best games down the years had actually been in the half back line for ard scoil and club but he was pushed up the field as years went on.

EDIT: Regarding your comment about up to standard.....if Seanie hits form he'll be a great addition to the panel as he has a lot of energy and skill and is quite nippy. Can be wasteful and hotheaded at times but on form he really stands out. Outshone Tony Kelly for LIT quite a few times.

Thomas is also quite fast and skillful but can fade out of games. Needs strengthening also.

Thanks, at least there's a few new players to look at in the league, the non selection of dempsay when we appear to be stuck for a CB appears to be the major omission.

Think seanie was very good for LIT in the fitzgibbon against UL before being sent off for striking his p'well teammate Carmody! Whether he can do a job half back but we seem to have a lot of midfielders on the panel so doubt he'd nail down a spot there...

Yeah Brians brother

Not surprising cahalane had his measure when Begley is a FB himself.

Looking at the squad we havent unearthed a corner back from what i see which means hickey will stay in FB line. Wayne mac looks nailed on at CB then. Does selection of 3 keepers given any hope Nicky will be moved outfield? The guys who get chances at half back need to come up trumps i.e morrissey, tomas ryan, cathal king (possibly nicky), I dont have much faith in Kingwhich means Ryan and Morrissey need to come good in league. Corner back, half back are crucial spots for league. Midfield will be fine as long as the two incumbents are rested. The FF expt is also interesting one we'd all hope that morrissey can step up, would be our best option.

Totally agree
    But it's not surprise to tj who played him out position in he's probably thinking I myself was full back converted full forward he'll do that role

Begley fine full back but not forward but Mccarthy English better full backs

English should been there

Guarantee you paddy, o mahony mccnamara and o brien at least two them start again
    Even ex kilmallock manager said o brien and o mahony performance had dropped last year

They were haunted wet slow day v Kilkenney if Kilkenney had weather of all ireland finals that half back back line be exposed real lack of pace but you see management won't see that as far they concerned bounce ball cost them v Kilkenney and ex greats like ollie moran don't help in saying it was injustice more or less limerick lost fully deserved win
    I'm sorry now but Kilkenney fully deserved that win.
    Limerick were at their limit couldn't win, Kilkenney all ireland finals in dry weather went up another ten per cent

Surprised at the need to announce a final panel now, normally the noises are that it's a panel for the league or a training panel and options are open for players to be added. The word on this panel is that this is it and good luck and thanks to those that didn't make it. The leader does mention four more of the minors that aren't considered as they're still in school, might suggest they'll be added after the leaving finishes.

Very surprised and disappointed to see Dempsey dropped. I genuinely considered him a strong candidate for a starting place. Surprised about Carmody too, he's better than some on the panel. Who are the back up corner back options ahead of these guys? Walsh -anyone else? I'd rate those two better and as good as King, respectively. Doesn't suggest there'll be much change in our full backs from last year, so Hickey will stay in the corner and Wayne at 6... Meh. Maybe Ryan or Morrissey could break in on the wing.

Don't get Begley being used as a full forward, hasn't he always been a back? Would have thought we are well stocked with ff options in Dowling, Downes, Moran and Breen.

Surprised at the need to announce a final panel now, normally the noises are that it's a panel for the league or a training panel and options are open for players to be added. The word on this panel is that this is it and good luck and thanks to those that didn't make it. The leader does mention four more of the minors that aren't considered as they're still in school, might suggest they'll be added after the leaving finishes.

Very surprised and disappointed to see Dempsey dropped. I genuinely considered him a strong candidate for a starting place. Surprised about Carmody too, he's better than some on the panel. Who are the back up corner back options ahead of these guys? Walsh -anyone else? I'd rate those two better and as good as King, respectively. Doesn't suggest there'll be much change in our full backs from last year, so Hickey will stay in the corner and Wayne at 6... Meh. Maybe Ryan or Morrissey could break in on the wing.

Don't get Begley being used as a full forward, hasn't he always been a back? Would have thought we are well stocked with ff options in Dowling, Downes, Moran and Breen.

Would you now is it fair to ask have concerns regards tj ryan in manager picks the panel??
    I asked this question before here that who provides tactical nous in this management set up??
    Lynch likely be added after leaving on extended panel but not this early
    Still with Ard scoil also

Would agree totally that post huge concerns going forward in clear as day he's set on certain style of player and wont change and certainly style of play also
    Davy of course will talk up limerick etc but I'd say look at this panel he has no fears of limerick as he'll know exactly what he will face in that game

John Galvin retired today. What a warrior for Limerick GAA, may he enjoy his retirement.

It'll still haunt me how he was never recognised for his heroics in the Munster final with an All-Star (as meaningless as they are now really, it's still good to be noted), behind Michael Dara of all people. Galvin would have made any team in the country in his prime, and sadly the cruciate injury robbed us of his last good year or two.

A true legend.

A gentleman and a warrior when need was greatest he was absolutely the man

Certainly imo id rate him just ahead Nicholas murphy in he stood up to o se kerry and on better teams more in him

Any county would been lucky have to him
    Best luck to him in the retirement

Would agree totally that post huge concerns going forward in clear as day he's set on certain style of player and wont change and certainly style of play also
    Davy of course will talk up limerick etc but I'd say look at this panel he has no fears of limerick as he'll know exactly what he will face in that game

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that TJ is set on a certain 'style' of player, I can't really see a theme running through who he has culled and who he has kept on? Cian lynch is a different player from Pat Begley, same as Tom Morrissey is different again...it looks like he's brought Begley in as a different type of ff like his brother, perhaps as a plan b off the bench, whether he's able to be as adaptable remains to be seen...
    Also there were never going to be wholesale changes to the panel, a lot of the minors are stil in school and is probably too early for them, yes there are a few that could be brought in but nobody breaking down the door that he has ignored because he's set on a certain style of player?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that TJ is set on a certain 'style' of player, I can't really see a theme running through who he has culled and who he has kept on? Cian lynch is a different player from Pat Begley, same as Tom Morrissey is different again...it looks like he's brought Begley in as a different type of ff like his brother, perhaps as a plan b off the bench, whether he's able to be as adaptable remains to be seen...
    Also there were never going to be wholesale changes to the panel, a lot of the minors are stil in school and is probably too early for them, yes there are a few that could be brought in but nobody breaking down the door that he has ignored because he's set on a certain style of player?

Yeah thats true to an extent, big concern is the backs,wouldnt have minded seeing another back added to panel, maybe english, coleman or KOD but maybe ALTC is a cert to come in once leaving is finished. Article says tobin is out so with mulcahy out too we need a CF, presumably cian will get nod but would prefer him at half myself or in a free role.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement