Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Yeah, id only make 2 definite changes, goals and half back. After that its pick on form, make changes at midfield on 45mins and have a bench. Lynch and morrissey def give us bench options, plus lynch is a completely different style of player. Use the league to give fellas a run to boost their confidence and find best positions.

Hennessey
    walsh
    Richie
    Hickey
    T Ryan
    Wayne
    GOM
    Jimbob
    Browne
    DOG
    Hannon
    Breen
    Mul
    Dowling
    Downes

POB
    Cian
    Morrissey x2
    ALTC
    Condon
    And any other fella who puts his hand up during league/remainder of club AI is a good bench option.

Anyway, match next weekend so team will tell a lot.

I would say a lot will be learned from this weekend challenge game playing dublin

Dublin are heavy training at moment and treating challenge games serious enough from what I am told so good test for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I see that back page man's sources tell him Aaron Murphy may be in line for a promotion and maybe that means Quaid will be released outfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That team does look good, but as much as I want to see Downes at 11, I think Hannon has to stay there. He has so much talent and only really started excelling on his return to that position.

I would have liked to see Hickey move to the half-back line to see more of his hurling and add a bit of an aerial presence, but as you say, having sold ourselves a bit short, he's likely to remain inside. He's a super corner-back, but I think he's even better further out the field tbh- his engine and work rate are serious. But Stephen Walsh is a pretty solid operator, he's not on the same level as Hickey, but he can do a job, I suppose. So I think it'd be harsh to say he's good enough.

I'd like to see Paudie solely as a midfielder this year, we'll see how things go there. And I think Cathal King is better as a corner-back or midfielder than as a half-back. But I like half-backs to be powerful in the air and I'm not sure he brings that like some of the competition... but he has loads of pace and no little skill, I think he could be a great midfield option in the Paul Browne mould.

I'm not 100% convinced that Adrian Breen or Reidy are at top Championship standard, going off league performances in the past. Maybe they are, but I wouldn't have them ahead of the other Breen or Morrissey anyway.

I feel Downes is the more likely to cause trouble at centre-forward. He's a stronger, more powerful runner, more likely to shrug off challenges and break through for a goal chance than Hannon who will draw a foul further out. I agree that Hannon improved after the move to centre-forward this year, but I'm not sold that that was all down to a positional change.

I think corner-back actually suits Hickey perfectly. He's had one of the best seasons I've seen from any player in a green jersey last year, marked a few danger men out of the game. I think our full-back line would be weakened severely without him.

Dublin won challenge in limerick by a few points yesterday
    More importantly tom morrisey was outstanding at full forward
    He should get game time in the league
    Dublin were impressI'vehad young old team i hear also good work out both teams

Dublin won challenge in limerick by a few points yesterday
    More importantly tom morrisey was outstanding at full forward
    He should get game time in the league
    Dublin were impressI'vehad young old team i hear also good work out both teams

Were you there TTM, by all accounts Reidy was another had a good game? Be interesting to see if both Lynch and Morrissey can make it onto the starting team in their first year in. A good few players fighting for places in the forwards, which is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Were you there TTM, by all accounts Reidy was another had a good game? Be interesting to see if both Lynch and Morrissey can make it onto the starting team in their first year in. A good few players fighting for places in the forwards, which is excellent.

This time of year it's what it's all about - resting the elder lemons and letting youth have its fling

Come championship it would be a very exceptional 19yr old would make it onto starting team - Cian Lynch if he continues to improve could be the one - although I have to say he was slightly anonymous with 21s last year - having said that every year make a huge difference at his age

Anyone know why John McGrath didn't start for UL at weekend ? Think I heard he was called into Tipp panel too ?

Surprised to see only one Limerick hurler starting for UL.

N20 wrote: »
    Anyone know why John McGrath didn't start for UL at weekend ? Think I heard he was called into Tipp panel too ?

May been but wasn't on tipp team beat WExford today I'm challenge

This time of year it's what it's all about - resting the elder lemons and letting youth have its fling

Come championship it would be a very exceptional 19yr old would make it onto starting team - Cian Lynch if he continues to improve could be the one - although I have to say he was slightly anonymous with 21s last year - having said that every year make a huge difference at his age

Depends on each individual be honest no set rule
    Brian cocoran was just nineteenth when 92 won young hurling year and all star corner back

Glesson last year was immense
    Lot clare all ireland winners were not long after nineteen
    Michael own played world cup at eighteen
    Martina hingus won Wimbledon at sixteen

Lot Laois hurling team few at eighteen played
    Once environment right and surrounded by expierence and played in right position it can be done

Morrisey is simply ahead of lynch at moment yes different positions but morrisey can play half forward also

He's awesome everything asked do this year
    I'm not surprised said he'd be brilliant this year
    I was told he was brillant yesterday

No was st cork ul

But know lad at it who gave me full report today
    Reidy did stand out and was good yes
    The team was a few new face also and full back line was poor at times I heard

Lynch played as far I'm aware was good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 West_Forward

Remember lads Limerick minors were beaten by Kk in the Ire final and ard scoil and doon both lost to two kilkenny schools. So when limericks finest met kk finest we lost on 3 occasions.

So how people can say 4 or 5 of these minors should be on the squad is beyond me.

How of the Galway and Waterford players that contested the 2013 final made championship debuts last year? 1 Austin Gleeson.

and this idea having players on a squad for development is rubbish too. Pick the 30 best and let them go hammer and thong at it in training.

Remember lads Limerick minors were beaten by Kk in the Ire final and ard scoil and doon both lost to two kilkenny schools. So when limericks finest met kk finest we lost on 3 occasions.

So how people can say 4 or 5 of these minors should be on the squad is beyond me.

How of the Galway and Waterford players that contested the 2013 final made championship debuts last year? 1 Austin Gleeson.

and this idea having players on a squad for development is rubbish too. Pick the 30 best and let them go hammer and thong at it in training.

You need to judge everything on its merit
    If you know anything regards limerick minors and what went on week up Kilkenney game you know nothing do lack talent but one man in management
    Morrissey was outstanding all year minors outstanding for Ul v ucc league fresher final outstanding minors final for ahane
    I excuse all players from blame in all ireland final

Morrisey done all asked him
    You don't just not play lad he's team lost in judge on performance
    Players can be exceptional beaten teams

Like example seamus hickey was all star limerick team lost twice as deserves it one hundred per cent

Just heard there that limerick hurlers seamus hickey, fitzgoibbion and Thomas o brien all ran laps today part of world record done I'n limerick today for relay marathon thing for charity
    It was broken I think

Tremendous credit to them in doing charity work and they deserve immense credit for that be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 7 West_Forward

A freshers final is light years away from inter county stuff, club minor? haha. Please don't judge players until they've actually delivered regularly. Takes 2/3 to make the step from underage to senior.

Tom has loads of talent like many others on the team but do they have the fight, the hunger etc to make it at the top remains unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Morissey had an excellent 2014 all round at all levels, including for Ahane seniors, excellent prospect and worthy of his place on the panel. You can't judge things like fight/hunger until you throw them in to the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

2. Stephen Bennett came on against Wexford, and but for injury hed have been the first one thrown in last year. We also had 2 lads in Dunford and Bourke who were only in their second year out of minor, a minor team that was hammered by Tipp. Patrick Curran, Shane Bennett and Colm Roche (scored 3 points in the all Ireland final you mentioned) were three of the best on the team but were all still minor last year.

Limerick need forwards, and from what I saw of the minors they had 6 forwards who could score from anywhere. Exceptional talent. Of their current forwards, Id say they've two max three that could do that. One Lynch and Morrissey will start come championship, and the other will be an impact sub at least provided they stay fit.

I heard today Kilkenny have 5 minors on the current training panel, not sure how big the panel is right now.

A freshers final is light years away from inter county stuff, club minor? haha. Please don't judge players until they've actually delivered regularly. Takes 2/3 to make the step from underage to senior.

Tom has loads of talent like many others on the team but do they have the fight, the hunger etc to make it at the top remains unknown.
    Look your obviously no idea what your talking about
    You choose to ignore the points I raised
    I'd be with respect wasting my time debating with you

Many of the current Clare team were thrown in straight out of minor. Of course it's only for exceptional players but a few of the limerick minors of the last few years are exceptional. I think a couple of them are at least up to being brought on as subs expected to have an impact, and maybe one will start.

There was 21 championship in Tipp today so presume he didn't start as a result of that

The likes of Noel McGrath and Joe Canning have stepped up alright, there are odd very talented individuals who made that transition from minor to senior straight away -

I'm sure Tom Morrissey has heaps of talent but not at that stage yet - on fire for club minor final, but I agree with you west a world away from senior inter county championship - I don't think he scored in fresher league final from what I remember

in any case it's not a debate about him in particular - in general minors won't walk into inter county set ups and make a significant impact come championship - unless it's a very average team

Great debate about tights on Cork forum, but it's all thongs over here. 😄😄😄😄😄

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

No was st cork ul

But know lad at it who gave me full report today
    Reidy did stand out and was good yes
    The team was a few new face also and full back line was poor at times I heard

Lynch played as far I'm aware was good
    Very early in the year but encouraging to see Reidy playing well, had a good outing for LIT aswell, looking at the team against Dublin it looked like seanie o'brien was at corner back? If so interesting experiment, were light on corner backs at the moment with Dempsey and Carmody gone...

• Advertisement

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Very early in the year but encouraging to see Reidy playing well, had a good outing for LIT aswell, looking at the team against Dublin it looked like seanie o'brien was at corner back? If so interesting experiment, were light on corner backs at the moment with Dempsey and Carmody gone...

Interesting also to see Condon used at wing-back. I feel the half-back line might suit him well, would add a bit of bite to the line also. Who would replace him in the corner is the question. Also who is the back-up full-back to Richie, Tom would surely be one of the fore-runners for this.

Interesting also to see Condon used at wing-back. I feel the half-back line might suit him well, would add a bit of bite to the line also. Who would replace him in the corner is the question. Also who is the back-up full-back to Richie, Tom would surely be one of the fore-runners for this.

O'Loughlin had a few full back outings in last year's league, but Condon has to be the one to cover full back if anything happens Richie. God forbid as we look light on full back line cover now. Interesting Condon moved out to half back, would have thought it'd be hickey moved out if it were either of them. Prob reading too much into it at this stage. Next week might tell a bit more, last year we saw dodge at half forward for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

As I mentioned previously, played his best hurling at half back for Ard Scoil so maybe there's something in it alright.

http://m.limerickleader.ie/news/martin-kiely-column-this-can-be-limerick-s-year-1-6512190

I'm a huge fan of kiely I don't always agree with him but I admire he's bold willingness to take on unpopular views and challenge things and I mentioned him cork thread many times

I must add the huge sea change in he's attuide regards limerick senior hurling based imo on not much significant I wonder and it's a sad sad day for sports journalism if so the Mann outburst has mellowed him a bit

He's entitled to he's views
    He this time last year had said after o grady he really questions who provides tactical nous
    Now he correct mentioned it here imo that you won't win with out it but imo who provides it

Kiely on said in an article last year,think was early in the year none management back room team gave him confidence tactical wise in he wanted proven selector added

Yet after two losses and one real win he's on side limerick turned a corner of course moral victory has be included v Kilkenney
    Remember he took the clare game in the waterford crystal at the bridge serious last year in he's articles he correctly Said certain things you took from game but here he is now saying that maybe limerick may get help from gods and he went Croach patrick and left plack limerick all ireland champions 2015

I'm sorry now but such nonsense praying for divine inspiration to win an all ireland . From the higher power as he said
    It just doesn't actually surprise me in limerick hurling
    Would that attuide survive in munster rubgy no
    Paul o connell control the controllables

That like cork going down ballispittle moving statue pray all ireland success in football.
    I'm religious myself to a point but would I pray cork football, no, in cork made correct choices wouldn't need to pray

Brazils praying for world cup victory didn't do them much good this year did it

Limerick thought forty years anniversary would bring Liam back, there still waiting

I had huge time for him but after that nonsense I fear Mann outburst has bust he's bubble and he' mellowed when he's bold open honest views were breath fresh air

If it did influence him and I say if, just my opinion it imo is a sad day for sports journalism that county boards dictate pace journalists in gaa

This was he's piece in august after being beaten by Kilkenney
    Now I feel too much put in to performance as I said many times but if people believe it fair enough
    What strikes me here in august he said management made few mistakes and emotions clouded them and must be ruthless next year

Now my point is clear
    Nothing has changed since August to now in terms one single management new face selection wise being added so I don't see how belive gone to this level of all ireland champions, limerick year when if you look at panel ruthless call he called for no emotions is imo not there when niall moran plays on panel and some other still there

Yes he brought in lynch and morrissey, so credit due but backs will be the same start v clare and imo he got it wrong
    People say moran brings experience

I'm sorry but now limerick doesn't need expierence when o mahony, riche mac, o grady, and ryan, hickey have it and leadership etc

Mark Carmody is not half forward but he's was awesome for Ul as sub v cork saturday and showed sensational pace and balance feet with skill that Michael flatley be proud of
    Imo should be in panel as cover at corner back with such skills in

There around six strange calls on the panel,a few here even had concerns.
    No new tactical selection shake up so imo if kiely believed in prayers fair enough he's belive but imo he will need have rosaries beads out every night to get limerick close to even final even imo based on lack fresh management voice and statements intent by panel named in its about more continuity and bar two additional names imo very little change

Would brian Cody entertain such talk???rely on powers above give us that push over the line
    Would kerry or Kilkenney media do such talk

Only time Cody entertains religious talk was he's wonderful wonderful interview with gay Byrne on the meaning of life
    Cody is religious but on field play he Control the controllable
    I am disappointed that kiely lost he's realistic and bold open approach in imo there is no significant factor for him to change that view from August to January and I could be wrong but imo he's changed since the words by limerick county board
    If you wanted to look at challenge games they played three, won one v WExford lost to cork and dublin so no real change you could say here
    Yes challenge were trying out players but imo cork game showed tactical naivety again imo even though was just a challenge

I can't see how those fears regards limerick management from a huge under twenty one defeat with some people who had them are gone in suddenly think he's it when two defeats last year
    This moral victory loss to kilkenny imo will actually be looked back on in years to come as the worst thing happened limerick senior hurling imo
    Ireland rubgy got to one point to the world champions Australia in 91 and brave brave display
    Following year remember reading at time we were going to challenge the old five nations
    We imo got the wooden spoon as only games we could actually win back then was Wales in Cardiff but in Dublin Wales beat us
    That aussie game was a one off just like Kilkenney limerick will prove to be
    Ireland had a chance two year ago beat all blacks but didn't win and didn't actually win grand slam last year
    If we went on all black display we should won as we're second best team in the world according to some
    Every game must be judged on its merits
    Steve Staunton went in he's start career had moral victory loss to Germany in soccer and should drawn
    The rest is history he was great great I mean really great player but was a poor poor managers
    One game means nothing imo

Cody will learn so much if limerick play them again, limerick management proved with the panel name it's learned not much from last year

Limerick relying on a higher power for guidance from the gods
    Id be embarrassed in cork if anyone said that to me

As for limerick minors he imo like many made huge huge error in he failed to distinguish between coach and manger as he said daly with minors is great manager
    Problem is clear as day imo limerick minors have two managers in Leo and Anthony but no coach

Balance and dynamic is all wrong
    Normally kiely is realist I just my opinion get feeling he has gone out he's way to be positive as may feel with board and he's relationship with tj who mentioned in paper himself before wasn't great he feels such views may be deemed negative he could be kept at a distance regards limerick hurling

Any view kiely had said before imo had valid reasons and journalists should not been seen as having agenda just as questions hard questions
    If limerick loose and kiely suddenly changes wind imo regards management again then I wouldn't regarding he's views with same value as before as I don't belive in running with the Hare and chasing with the hound attuide in going with the order of the day so to speak just to please people and just my opinion but I fear this could be the case

http://m.limerickleader.ie/news/martin-kiely-column-looking-forward-to-another-gaa-year-1-5815278

This was at the start of last year lot realisim
    But they then had least manager then won an all ireland
    Now they don't imo
    Look at dublin back room team it's ten times better imo than limerick
    Proven proven coaches

Kiely imo brilliant writer, imo it's a shame he seemed imo to loose the ethos that made him different to read than others as he challenged things and stuck to he's guns as imo very optimistic and I just can't see the reality in it as clare are huge ask then tippeary next and also limerick don't do expectation and hype will, limerick expects that imo based on history the time they don't deliver
    They won't come under the radar next this year
    To deal with expectations you must add something new to give you the edge to rise the level again, imo they have not done that

If limerick for example had added Paul kinnerks then you could say fair point limerick will win all ireland this year
    But nothing has changed really from last year and limerick imo building too too much significant in to the Kilkenney game that the monsoon weather that people neglect to realise had huge huge bearing on the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

If anyone can help me out on some club info

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057357984

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Anyone care to share the team from the dub game?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Whatever else is true or not anyone reading kielys writing has to remember that he is not an impartial observer.
    He has been in the thick of the rows there at times.
    're limericks minor players I am told limerick turned up for a challenge with Ul recently with 15 players and had to play with 14 until half time.
    Only one player from the last two minor teams was there
    That makes no sense to me.
    It's not too many they have in its too few.
    an absolute ton of the Clare senior squad made championship debuts as 18 and 19 year olds

Whatever else is true or not anyone reading kielys writing has to remember that he is not an impartial observer.
    He has been in the thick of the rows there at times.
    're limericks minor players I am told limerick turned up for a challenge with Ul recently with 15 players and had to play with 14 until half time.
    Only one player from the last two minor teams was there
    That makes no sense to me.
    It's not too many they have in its too few.
    an absolute ton of the Clare senior squad made championship debuts as 18 and 19 year olds

Valid points but just been thick rows should not go against him in maybe he was one few speak for change
    I can't speak for Ul game but the nenagh challenge they had a full set

I can assure you nothing like that happened when Wallis was there
    If it happened since more reflection current management not having their house in order imo

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Valid points but just been thick rows should not go against him in maybe he was one few speak for change
    I can't speak for Ul game but the nenagh challenge they had a full set

I can assure you nothing like that happened when Wallis was there
    If it happened since more reflection current management not having their house in order imo
    Correct be if I'm wrong but I think the 14 turning up for a challenge reference was in regards to limerick seniors not minors I think...after the disaster with the 3 in a row u21s coming into senior hopefully the minors coming into seniors will be more successful, helps that TJ was on the senior team at that time so may have a view in what was done wrong then so as not to repeat it...

• Advertisement

Correct be if I'm wrong but I think the 14 turning up for a challenge reference was in regards to limerick seniors not minors I think...after the disaster with the 3 in a row u21s coming into senior hopefully the minors coming into seniors will be more successful, helps that TJ was on the senior team at that time so may have a view in what was done wrong then so as not to repeat it...

He said minors challenge he was talking about I think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement