Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Correct be if I'm wrong but I think the 14 turning up for a challenge reference was in regards to limerick seniors not minors I think...after the disaster with the 3 in a row u21s coming into senior hopefully the minors coming into seniors will be more successful, helps that TJ was on the senior team at that time so may have a view in what was done wrong then so as not to repeat it...

You are correct Mehapoy
    The current limerick minor management are well able to organise challenge games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 West_Forward

N20 wrote: »
    The likes of Noel McGrath and Joe Canning have stepped up alright, there are odd very talented individuals who made that transition from minor to senior straight away -

I'm sure Tom Morrissey has heaps of talent but not at that stage yet - on fire for club minor final, but I agree with you west a world away from senior inter county championship - I don't think he scored in fresher league final from what I remember

in any case it's not a debate about him in particular - in general minors won't walk into inter county set ups and make a significant impact come championship - unless it's a very average team

Great debate about tights on Cork forum, but it's all thongs over here. 😄😄😄😄😄

Joe Canning didn't play his first year out of minor neither did Henry Shefflin. Give these lads a chance to develop handing them token places on the squad won't help. Look at Kilkenny most lads are 20/21 coming on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

no Shefflin didn't if i remember i think he was only a sub at minor was also only a sub for the leinster under 21 defeat to offaly in 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

He said minors challenge he was talking about I think

No I said that limerick brought 15 players to a challenge match despite only using 1 player from the last two minor teams. Seems crazy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

This time of year it's what it's all about - resting the elder lemons and letting youth have its fling

Come championship it would be a very exceptional 19yr old would make it onto starting team - Cian Lynch if he continues to improve could be the one - although I have to say he was slightly anonymous with 21s last year - having said that every year make a huge difference at his age

You must try and understand where lynch was coming from in that game before you judge lynch had actually limited training with the team due to minors and leaving cert commitment

Also as I correctly said and was proven right limerick would loose that quite easily because tom ryan manager was involved in the set up and he's old school approach out dated

• Advertisement

Great to see Cian Lynch step up and carry on the Carey legacy - you can't beat breeding

Looking forward to seeing more of him on bigger stage I was always a huge fan of Ciaran

It's like Ritchie Hogan and DJ

Can't see the merit of retaining Niall Moran when younger players need to be developed

JBM bit the bullet with the cork elder statesmen and TJ should too

Some statement to make in four are different positions type player

Carry was awesomeness half back but dj was just in league of he's own as a hurler in fairness

Cian lynch is tremendous prospect but he's playing different positions than hogan

Ciaran Carey was half back
    Dj Carey you will find was actually a forward

There's huge difference between riche hogan and dj and ciaran Carey and cian lynch

That's unlogic and unfair comparison imo

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

You must try and understand where lynch was coming from in that game before you judge lynch had actually limited training with the team due to minors and leaving cert commitment

Also as I correctly said and was proven right limerick would loose that quite easily because tom ryan manager was involved in the set up and he's old school approach out dated
    Well that May or may not have been a factor but the fact that they were up against one of the best u21 teams in the history of the championship may have something to do with it too! It's not all about the sidelines you know...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Well that May or may not have been a factor but the fact that they were up against one of the best u21 teams in the history of the championship may have something to do with it too! It's not all about the sidelines you know...

No team would beaten clare I agree but no excuse like in cork case for inept woeful sub standard performance

Look at tipperary that pushed clare to extra time and couldn't be faulted at all at all

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Carry was awesomeness half back but dj was just in league of he's own as a hurler in fairness

Cian lynch is tremendous prospect but he's playing different positions than hogan

There's huge difference between riche hogan and dj and ciaran Carey and cian lynch

What an utterly condescending patronising post. You are either unwilling or incapable of understanding N20s post, this is not the first time.

Where did Ciaran Carey start his intercounty career?

Cu Baire wrote: »
    What an utterly condescending patronising post. You are either unwilling or incapable of understanding N20s post, this is not the first time.

Where did Ciaran Carey start his intercounty career?
    Look it's clear as day as been said on cork thread you don't actually debate points but if anyone looks at your style you clearly go out of your way to dismiss posts without providing fact
    You accused post cork thread as insulting by another poster yet as you do when question you ignore the point

Where did ciaran Carey actually play most of he's hurling and was he as good as dj as a forward????
    It's ridiculous for you to suggest he's in the same league as him as a forward

An awesome half back though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Look it's clear as day as been said on cork thread you don't actually debate points but if anyone looks at your style you clearly go out of your way to dismiss posts without providing fact
    You accused post cork thread as insulting by another poster yet as you do when question you ignore the point

Where did ciaran Carey actually play most of he's hurling and was he as good as dj as a forward????
    It's ridiculous for you to suggest he's in the same league as him as a forward

An awesome half back though

He never said Ciaran Carey was a forward, the only comparison was the family relation, you're talking nonsense.

He never said Ciaran Carey was a forward, the only comparison was the family relation, you're talking nonsense.

He made connection bout family yes but be fair was not clarified

Even aside from position I think it's unfair to compare hogan and Carey to Carey and lynch

Carey did play outside backs for limerick but best position was half back

In fact he also won county title as goal keeper with the club but wasn't all star keeper etc

Huge game for kilmallock sunday should beat the ulster team imo though handy enough

Kilmallock played clare weekend in Fitzgerald park and lost heavily in challenge
    Clare had strong team but interchange a lot
    This won't matter for weekend though kilmallock will win even without mahony

Ballyhale is the huge concern

Interesting to see what limerick team starts kilmallock saturday v Waterford in crystal cup

Imo they should start a shadow team as league opener waterford very close and wouldn't want to show their hand

Limerick though should be beating waterford handy in the league opener as waterford are in imo total dissary

Morrisey should start both this week and in February imo he deserves a chance and I think he's well up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

It doesn't surprise me this is 'unlogic' to you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd be shocked if Limerick put out a strongest available team, what would be the point? If we're not going to try players in the Waterford Crystal Cup, when are we ever going to try them? I don't care whether we win or lose tbh, I'd like to go on a bit of run, get a few games under the belt but if we put a 2nd team against a Waterford 1st team, I wouldn't expect to win. But I imagine Waterford will have a mixed-up team too.

Something like:
    Murphy
    Walsh McCarthy Condon
    Ryan Quaid Morrissey
    King Browne
    Lynch Hannon Downes
    A. Breen Morrissey Dowling

That has 6 or so regulars, and the rest are all going to be fighting for starting places.

It doesn't surprise me this is 'unlogic' to you

From actually personal insult to me cork thread you go with this but thanks better than yours previous post on me

Debate the point is all you got to do and when your point purely posting wise are challenge try debate it no need go off topic please
    You will find as many agree my posts have logic and imo that what you don't like as you haven't backed up your reasoning with such logic

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if Limerick put out a strongest available team, what would be the point? If we're not going to try players in the Waterford Crystal Cup, when are we ever going to try them? I don't care whether we win or lose tbh, I'd like to go on a bit of run, get a few games under the belt but if we put a 2nd team against a Waterford 1st team, I wouldn't expect to win. But I imagine Waterford will have a mixed-up team too.

Something like:
    Murphy
    Walsh McCarthy Condon
    Ryan Quaid Morrissey
    King Browne
    Lynch Hannon Downes

That has 6 or so regulars, and the rest are all going to be fighting for starting places.

That's a fine team bar imo king midfield and Quaid
    I'd have hickey centre back with james ryan midfield for the game
    Quaid imo is not centre back at this level

From actually personal insult to me cork thread you go with this but thanks better than yours previous post on me

Debate the point is all you got to do and when your point purely posting wise are challenge try debate it no need go off topic please
    You will find as many agree my posts have logic and imo that what you don't like as you haven't backed up your reasoning with such logic

I have to admit I don't really understand that

the point I was making which others seemed to understand but seemed unlogic to you is that

Cian Lynch is Ciaran Carey's nephew - Ciarans sister Valarie is his mother and his Dad Sean Lynch actually hails from Loughmore - Castleiney in Tipp, a club akin to Newtown of old in Cork where they overachieve hugely in terms of their pick and the size of their parish

He's the stamp of him on the pitch, and it's great to see him carrying on the family tradition of representing Limerick with such style and skill

Similarly Richie Hogan and DJ Carey are cousins - I have to say I don't know who their mothers are, you'll have to forgive me that one - but again Richie carrying on the family legacy for Kilkenny

seems perfectly logic to me

I have to admit I don't really understand that

the point I was making which others seemed to understand but seemed unlogic to you is that

Cian Lynch is Ciaran Carey's nephew - Ciarans sister Valarie is his mother and his Dad Sean Lynch actually hails from Loughmore - Castleiney in Tipp, a club akin to Newtown of old in Cork where they overachieve hugely in terms of their pick and the size of their parish

He's the stamp of him on the pitch, and it's great to see him carrying on the family tradition of representing Limerick with such style and skill

Similarly Richie Hogan and DJ Carey are cousins - I have to say I don't know who their mothers are, you'll have to forgive me that one - but again Richie carrying on the family legacy for Kilkenny

seems perfectly logic to me
    Now yes fair play that's logic but you did not be fair say that ist time

You are correct in regards the rest but Newtown won all ireland club team recently

Dj mother Is maura and dj second cousin to riche hogan
    Dj young son real talent with Kilkenney under seventeen this year with john power sons

I didn't need know their mothers names etc
    I was making point regards hurling what they achieved

Now yes fair play that's logic but you did not be fair say that ist time

You are correct in regards the rest but Newtown won all ireland club team recently

Dj mother Is maura and dj second cousin to riche hogan
    Dj young son real talent with Kilkenney under seventeen this year with john power sons

I didn't need know their mothers names etc
    I was making point regards hurling what they achieved

I accept your apology

was Maura a Bergin or a Langton ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

The panel named strikes me as a panel to win 1B as opposed to a panel that is in any way nailed on as a championship panel. If a player is 27+ and has yet to make a significant impact on the first team then I feel he should be moved on, one or two in that category were indeed cut but one or two still remain.

Some are disappointed with Niall Moran still being included, however it has to be said he put in a few very good performances for Ahane in the club championship, he was about as influential as I have ever seen him in the Adare game and stood out any time I saw him (barring Ahane's demolition at the hands of Na Piarsaigh although to be fair to him he did alright that day too).

This is very much a squad for right now, with topping 1B in mind. While I desperately wish to get out of that division I'd be a small bit fearful that a lack of new faces runs the risk of things stagnating, so I'm hopeful that Lynch and Morissey will feature, not only because I feel they will freshen things up a little and give us new options and depth, but because I feel they are actually good enough to become an active part of a matchday 20. We should have no fear of throwing 19 year olds into the team, it didn't do any harm to Hannon, Downes or Dowling. If they're good enough, they're old enough.

It's a squad that gives me confidence of winning 1B, but makes me a little nervous come championship time.

That's a fine team bar imo king midfield and Quaid
    I'd have hickey centre back with james ryan midfield for the game
    Quaid imo is not centre back at this level

Thing is, we know what Hickey can do... any outfield position bar maybe full-back or in the full-forward line and he'll do a good job in the Championship. I wouldn't mind him centre-back, but I don't see him standing there. Same with Jim-Bob, he's a consistent performer who we know what we can do... there's very little point in playing the same midfield partnership in a WCC game.

Quaid dominated at midfield in the club championship this year, he has done so at centre-back in the past. Apparently he has said himself that he thinks he is too slow for intercounty hurling... I think centre-back is the one position he could survive. He's worth a go. Wayne Mac did a good job last year but he's better on the wing and Quaid has that bit of class about him. Maybe he's not good enough, but he's never had a chance to prove himself and I'd like to see him given a chance.

As for King at midfield, I think TJ himself favours David Reidy in that position.... and we have the likes of Tom Ryan, Allis, Seanie O'Brien, Lynch, Hickey, Fitzgibbon all who could do a job there. But as I said, this match doesn't really matter, I think King excels when given a roaming role as he'd be allowed in midfield. I'm not sure he has the physicality for wing-back, but he has the pace and stamina for midfield. Is he a top intercounty hurler? Maybe not, but he's someone who could inject something from the bench.

The panel named strikes me as a panel to win 1B as opposed to a panel that is in any way nailed on as a championship panel. If a player is 27+ and has yet to make a significant impact on the first team then I feel he should be moved on, one or two in that category were indeed cut but one or two still remain.

Some are disappointed with Niall Moran still being included, however it has to be said he put in a few very good performances for Ahane in the club championship, he was about as influential as I have ever seen him in the Adare game and stood out any time I saw him (barring Ahane's demolition at the hands of Na Piarsaigh although to be fair to him he did alright that day too).

This is very much a squad for right now, with topping 1B in mind. While I desperately wish to get out of that division I'd be a small bit fearful that a lack of new faces runs the risk of things stagnating, so I'm hopeful that Lynch and Morissey will feature, not only because I feel they will freshen things up a little and give us new options and depth, but because I feel they are actually good enough to become an active part of a matchday 20. We should have no fear of throwing 19 year olds into the team, it didn't do any harm to Hannon, Downes or Dowling. If they're good enough, they're old enough.

It's a squad that gives me confidence of winning 1B, but makes me a little nervous come championship time.

It really does depend in how much faith TJ has in newcomers, and how willing he is to change things if they aren't working. The onus is now on him.

That's a very good assessment of where we're at.

Something like:
    Murphy
    Walsh McCarthy Condon
    Ryan Quaid Morrissey
    King Browne
    Lynch Hannon Downes

That's pretty much a first choice full back line, not what we need to put out this game. It's a line we need to try players in, especially in the corners I think. I'd have King corner back. Na P use him to man mark opposition danger men and I think he's well down the pecking order for midfield. If he's to have an impact it's in the corner I think. And he's no hickey but he is a pacey skilful player in the same mould.

Also, it would have to be dowling full and Morrissey corner forward for me. I think Morrissey can play in the corner, and dowling now owns the 14 jersey. After dowling we have downes, Moran, and Breen -I don't see the point in playing Morrissey or even begley full forward when those four should be ahead of them.

No reason we shouldn't put out as strong a team as available for the next waterford game. That doesn't mean an expected championship 15 but whoever's going well in training and pushing for a place. I'd really like to see the half back line Fireball selected above, I think each of these three could break in.

That's pretty much a first choice full back line, not what we need to put out this game. It's a line we need to try players in, especially in the corners I think. I'd have King corner back. Na P use him to man mark opposition danger men and I think he's well down the pecking order for midfield. If he's to have an impact it's in the corner I think. And he's no hickey but he is a pacey skilful player in the same mould.

Also, it would have to be dowling full and Morrissey corner forward for me. I think Morrissey can play in the corner, and dowling now owns the 14 jersey. After dowling we have downes, Moran, and Breen -I don't see the point in playing Morrissey or even begley full forward when those four should be ahead of them.

No reason we shouldn't put out as strong a team as available for the next waterford game. That doesn't mean an expected championship 15 but whoever's going well in training and pushing for a place. I'd really like to see the half back line Fireball selected above, I think each of these three could break in.

I wouldn't be against King at corner-back, he's talented there, but he had a bit of a torrid time in one game last year. I do think we need to mix continuity with newcomers, as in I'd keep either Condon or McCarthy instead for a bit of solidity, although we probably need to know who our backup full-back is. I presume it's Condon, although I thought it'd be English this year. Interesting that Seanie O'Brien has been tried in the backs, interested to see how that pans out.

Don't have a problem with moving Morrissey to the corner, he's a versatile player who can do damage from a number of positions but I wouldn't agree that he's behind Moran & Breen for full-forward; Morrissey is a goalscorer as his record proves and I believe he can step up. Breen at half-forward or half-back for me, not sure about Moran tbh, but definitely not ahead of Morrissey at 14 imo.

Unless you meant Adrian Breen? But no, I'd put him in the corner and have Morrissey ahead of him at full-forward.

I accept your apology

was Maura a Bergin or a Langton ?

I never apologied nothing to apologise for unlike you sir that actually should with respect for you're disgracefull remark on cork thread now towards me in fairness, you of course choose to ignore just like in regards topic your proven to be incorrect with

Your welcome in regards me providing info regards dj, I'll provide you information any time in future you want info just ask, I'll give you my knowledge that you don't know

Unless you meant Adrian Breen? But no, I'd put him in the corner and have Morrissey ahead of him at full-forward.

If he gets a run and games he'll be terrific I'm Breen highely rated in ucc wonderful hurler
    I'd agree morrisey is full forward or half no way is he corner forward he'd be lost there and it's unfair ask on him

Must be centrally involved not boxed I'n

No I meant the older. I'm a fan of Morrissey, but is he ready to start at full forward at senior intercounty level, I don't think so yet. He's versatile though and I could see him chipping in from the corner. Even O'Donnell didn't start for clare straight out of minor (granted he went on to have a massive impact) at the end of the year.

No I meant the older. I'm a fan of Morrissey, but is he ready to start at full forward at senior intercounty level, I don't think so yet. He's versatile though and I could see him chipping in from the corner. Even O'Donnell didn't start for clare straight out of minor (granted he went on to have a massive impact) at the end of the year.

Shane O'Donnell was a good goalscorer at minor level, but I would say he was no more outstanding at that level than Morrissey, the Lynches or Nash.

Austin Gleeson stepped up right away last year, as did Tony Kelly and Colm Galvin in 2012; and they also called upon the likes of Seadna Morey & Aaron Cunningham in the panel. I think Conor Lehane and Darren Sweetnam were called on just out of minor, so were Hannon & Dowling.

I'm not saying he should definitely start in the Championship, but in a Waterford Crystal game, he's definitely worth a shot, he's excelled at every level he's played at this year, I think he's good enough. He just has a knack for scoring that excels what Moran & Breen have in that position.

• Advertisement

Shane O'Donnell was a good goalscorer at minor level, but I would say he was no more outstanding at that level than Morrissey, the Lynches or Nash.

Austin Gleeson stepped up right away last year, as did Tony Kelly and Colm Galvin in 2012; and they also called upon the likes of Seadna Morey & Aaron Cunningham in the panel. I think Conor Lehane and Darren Sweetnam were called on just out of minor, so were Hannon & Dowling.

I'm not saying he should definitely start in the Championship, but in a Waterford Crystal game, he's definitely worth a shot, he's excelled at every level he's played at this year, I think he's good enough. He just has a knack for scoring that excels what Moran & Breen have in that position.
    I'd agree once your good enough and right temperament but more importantly played right position you are fine at any age

Breen is a grafter but never was close to a forward. Kilkenney proved that last year

Moran was just good at best never delivered big games
    Doing it for ahane is fine but huge step to inter county
    Morrissey will benefit from declan Fitzgerald coaching at ul and quality and Corbett in limerick under twenty one that he'll lack at senior so he'll be fine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement