Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I'd agree once your good enough and right temperament but more importantly played right position you are fine at any age

Breen is a grafter but never was close to a forward. Kilkenney proved that last year

Moran was just good at best never delivered big games
    Doing it for ahane is fine but huge step to inter county
    Morrissey will benefit from declan Fitzgerald coaching at ul and quality and Corbett in limerick under twenty one that he'll lack at senior so he'll be fine

It's gas the way the limerick management made such an incredible turnaround in limericks season with a massive change in style after the corkman left despite their lack of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

It's gas the way the limerick management made such an incredible turnaround in limericks season with a massive change in style after the corkman left despite their lack of quality.

I think you know as many here said I belive huge talent in limerick. I see minors under twenty one club games limerick etc

Problem is old school coaching and no tactical mastermind

Incredible turn around I don't think so
    Yes neat tipp well done them
    Cork beat ye
    WExford can't judge
    And Kilkenney won
    No incredible turn around
    Its gas in likes yourself celebrate moral victories like glorified triumphs

What do make kiely view on limerick need bit divine inspiration from the gods?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

No I meant the older. I'm a fan of Morrissey, but is he ready to start at full forward at senior intercounty level, I don't think so yet. He's versatile though and I could see him chipping in from the corner. Even O'Donnell didn't start for clare straight out of minor (granted he went on to have a massive impact) at the end of the year.

Started v Waterford first league game, started v Waterford first championship game. And to be honest, I still don't believe he is an outstanding player though he has a great record at nabbing goals.

The only way you can say whether Morrissey or Lynch will be good enough is to try them now, and even with that Austin Gleeson played his second game in the league against Dublin in the relegation playoff and was miles off the pace. Wouldn't have started him myself v Cork only for the fact that we had so many missing, and then he came out and played a blinder hitting 1-2.

Think ye should be really giving them every chance, if it achieves nothing else you;d hope it would at least give someone like kick Downes a kick up the arse who is surely capable of much better than he showed against Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/depleted-limerick-hurlers-to-return-to-action-1-6519651

So, in addition to the Kilmallock lads and Tobin, we're without Hannon, Murphy, Reidy and Seanie O'Brien as they're college-tied.

It's a bit unfortunate for those hoping to see Quaid trialled at centre-back, because he has to go in goal now. I had Hannon & Murphy in my team above, so I suppose I'd go for Hickey or Wayne at centre-back, and move Downes to centre-forward with David Breen or someone coming in at wing-forward. It might end up being Fitzgibbon, but I'd rather Lynch was put in among a strong half-forward line and see how he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Started v Waterford first league game, started v Waterford first championship game. And to be honest, I still don't believe he is an outstanding player though he has a great record at nabbing goals.

The only way you can say whether Morrissey or Lynch will be good enough is to try them now, and even with that Austin Gleeson played his second game in the league against Dublin in the relegation playoff and was miles off the pace. Wouldn't have started him myself v Cork only for the fact that we had so many missing, and then he came out and played a blinder hitting 1-2.

Think ye should be really giving them every chance, if it achieves nothing else you;d hope it would at least give someone like kick Downes a kick up the arse who is surely capable of much better than he showed against Wexford.
    Team that I'd try out considering absenses, trying to keep sone experience in amongst newcomers:

Quaid
    King McCarthy Walsh
    McNamara Morrissey T. Ryan
    Allis fitzgibbon
    Lynch O'Grady Downes
    A. Breen Dowling Morrissey

Bring on Begley, Tom O'brien and swap in some of the experienced players for other first trainers, eg, condon on for McNamara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Well lads
    Travelling up saturday from Waterford to the match in Kilmallock just wondering is there a stand there?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

IanVW wrote: »
    Well lads
    Travelling up saturday from Waterford to the match in Kilmallock just wondering is there a stand there?

Thanks in advance

There's a stand for standing, and there's covered seating on the far side but views not the best

Morrissey scored 1-2 from corner forward in a challenge against Mary I last night.

Cian Lynch & Pa Begley debuts apparently. Losing 0-4 to 0-1 after 10 mins.

Starting team named was:
    Quaid
    Walsh McCarthy Hickey
    Morrissey McNamara Condon
    Ryan King
    D. Breen Moran Lynch
    T O'Brien Begley A. Breen

But Allis actually started in place of Walsh... I'd say either Condon went back to the corner with Allis at half-back, or King moved back and Allis went midfield. Allis has been playing centre-back in the challenges, so I'd say he did.

Not the most inspiring team tbh, I'd prefer to see Tom Morrissey than any of the full-forward line that started. And really don't see the point of starting Niall Moran...

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Starting team named was:
    Quaid
    Walsh McCarthy Hickey
    Morrissey McNamara Condon
    Ryan King
    D. Breen Moran Lynch
    T O'Brien Begley A. Breen

But Allis actually started in place of Walsh... I'd say either Condon went back to the corner with Allis at half-back, or King moved back and Allis went midfield. Allis has been playing centre-back in the challenges, so I'd say he did.

Not the most inspiring team tbh, I'd prefer to see Tom Morrissey than any of the full-forward line that started. And really don't see the point of starting Niall Moran...

Agree on Morrissey and Moran. Couldn't go. Appreciate comments/reports of anyone attending.

I'm following on twitter while watching the Munster game, Jake Dillon has just scored a goal. 1-5 to 0-3 down, Limerick have hit a lot of wides apparently.

Were 7 points down, but Adrian Breen scored a goal on the stroke of half-time.

1-8 to 1-7 in favour of Waterford.

1-9 apiece now

Limerick goal, 2-10 to 1-9.

2-11 to 1-12

2-12 to 1-13 with 5 mins to go.

Dodgy and Dowling add a couple of points, 4 up!

We win by a goal, 2-15 to 1-15. Play the winners of UCC and Kerry. First time since 2006 that we beat intercounty opposition in this competition.

Good stuff, I suppose. Results don't really matter though, it's how much we learn from it, hopefully someone ventured down to watch.

Thought it was on tomorrow FFS would definitely have gone. Not too impressed with selections/performances so far

• Advertisement

Thought it was on tomorrow FFS would definitely have gone. Not too impressed with selections/performances so far

So did I tbh.

UCC beat Kerry 2-23 to 2-14. Could make the final yet.

On twitter, it was said that Lynch, Morrissey and Begley were all good on their debuts. The 2nd goal apparently bounced off Begley and trickled over the line.

Report from the leader:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-hurlers-beat-waterford-in-opening-game-of-2015-1-6527849

1-2 for Adrian Breen, 0-3 for Cian Lynch, Morrissey came on and got 0-2 (0-1 from a free). Tommy O'Brien and Dodge also got 2 points.

Breen injured after 10 minutes, Dodge came on for him. Both Tommy O'Brien and Moran also picked up injuries. Downes, Tom Ryan, John Fitzgibbon those not involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Team lined out as follows:

Quaid, Condon, McCarthy, Hickey, Allis, McNamara, D Morrissey, King, Ryan, D Breen, Moran, Lynch, T O'Brien, Begley, A Breen

Breen injured early after winning a few puckouts, possibly his knee. Dodge replaced him (sporting a fine yellow helmet)
    T Morrissey, Browne and Dowling all came on, O'Brien, Moran and A Breen

Lynch was worth the admission alone, lovely flicks and surging runs. I think half forward is the ideal position for him as well. Dan Morrissey also showed well at wing back marking Kevin Moran. King and Allis mixed good and bad, King covers some amount of ground. Begley is an interesting experiment at 14 - he is a big man, broke a lot of ball that came in and also fought hard to stop Waterford clearing, but we have better hurlers to put at full-forward without sacrificing ball winning ability.

Felt we played better hurling throughout but were very wasteful with shots for points. Umpire manning the white flag at the town end added a bit of comedy, taking his time toddling up to signal a wide/point on a few occasions and struggling to maintain his balance. Fairly cold, slushy conditions underfoot and a miserable shower in the middle of the second half as the icing on the cake. We fielded our championship fullback line for the entire match and learned nothing new in this area.

Quaid, Condon, McCarthy, Hickey, Allis, McNamara, D Morrissey, King, Ryan, D Breen, Moran, Lynch, T O'Brien, Begley, A Breen

Breen injured early after winning a few puckouts, possibly his knee. Dodge replaced him (sporting a fine yellow helmet)

Lynch was worth the admission alone, lovely flicks and surging runs. I think half forward is the ideal position for him as well. Dan Morrissey also showed well at wing back marking Kevin Moran. King and Allis mixed good and bad, King covers some amount of ground. Begley is an interesting experiment at 14 - he is a big man, broke a lot of ball that came in and also fought hard to stop Waterford clearing, but we have better hurlers to put at full-forward without sacrificing ball winning ability.

Felt we played better hurling throughout but were very wasteful with shots for points. Umpire manning the white flag at the town end added a bit of comedy, taking his time toddling up to signal a wide/point on a few occasions and struggling to maintain his balance. Fairly cold, slushy conditions underfoot and a miserable shower in the middle of the second half as the icing on the cake. We fielded our championship fullback line for the entire match and learned nothing new in this area.

I'm huge fan and always advocated. Adrian Breen got run sounds he was good

How did he do pleas??

Niall moran couldn't even score from play in challenge game, selection begs all belief imo

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Adrian Breen didn't see much of the ball but still notched up 1-2, got an excellent point from out near the corner when it looked like we had over-elaborated on one opportunity and pulled on a ball broken by Begley just before half-time to get our first goal. What I like about Breen is he seems to get on the scoreboard even when he's not doing well. Worth persisting with but I don't think he'll start in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

As the squad goes, I think it's fair to say lack of new faces in the backs is worrying.
    I suppose when the Waterford Crystal & AI Club finishes we might see Kevin O'Donnell, Richie English and the likes added.
    I have heard TJ plans to keep the squad open and fluid, players who have been dropped will be given the chance again to prove themselves further down the road. Kinda odd way to go about it, would rather have seen someone like that (Dempsey for example) start when Walsh got injured in warm up.

I don't mind Niall Moran being on the squad but I wouldn't want him on match day 26 come May.
    Think King will benefit from an early run of games. Last year he was thrown into the deep end at corner back versus Galway.
    I do like Adrian Breen, think he would be a useful sub option if you need a goal. Great speed to burn and hopefully he can improve his short grip.

UCC will be another test, they'll be flying fit with the college calendar of games coming up.

centre back too is a closed shop and presumably Morrissey only got the run because walsh got injured, i'll spew if we send out the same back 7 as last year come championship they're not good enough, haven't seen much of tomas ryan yet

• Advertisement

francozola wrote: »
    As the squad goes, I think it's fair to say lack of new faces in the backs is worrying.
    I suppose when the Waterford Crystal & AI Club finishes we might see Kevin O'Donnell, Richie English and the likes added.
    I have heard TJ plans to keep the squad open and fluid, players who have been dropped will be given the chance again to prove themselves further down the road. Kinda odd way to go about it, would rather have seen someone like that (Dempsey for example) start when Walsh got injured in warm up.

I don't mind Niall Moran being on the squad but I wouldn't want him on match day 26 come May.
    Think King will benefit from an early run of games. Last year he was thrown into the deep end at corner back versus Galway.
    I do like Adrian Breen, think he would be a useful sub option if you need a goal. Great speed to burn and hopefully he can improve his short grip.

UCC will be another test, they'll be flying fit with the college calendar of games coming up.
    Ucc won't have much interest in this imo

Thry put strong team but still rested some for cork canon Michael o brien game and imo took it more seriously over tribute to canon

They are focused on fitzgoibbion only and limerick will beat them
    Beating limerick or any inter county team not their priority

Cit exceptional today in mulchay is friends with jbm and landers so he would put strong team out help cork give them a test

Cunningham has nothing gain putting strong team out v limerick so imo he'll mix team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement