Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

centre back too is a closed shop and presumably Morrissey only got the run because walsh got injured, i'll spew if we send out the same back 7 as last year come championship they're not good enough, haven't seen much of tomas ryan yet

Haha! And agreed. Corner back especially is where we need to see more players tried. And 6. At least we're forced to change up on the wings with the Kilmallock lads out. Would prefer King tried corner back. Even if two subs are used at midfield come championship, I don't fancy king to be one of the four players used at midfield (Browne, Ryan, ryan, dodge, paudie, lynch). Plenty of change in the front 9 though, good to see. Similarly don't expect A Breen to be featuring come championship but he is a player with a lot of potential.

Fingers crossed none of the injuries are serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Team lined out as follows:

Quaid, Condon, McCarthy, Hickey, Allis, McNamara, D Morrissey, King, Ryan, D Breen, Moran, Lynch, T O'Brien, Begley, A Breen

Breen injured early after winning a few puckouts, possibly his knee. Dodge replaced him (sporting a fine yellow helmet)
    T Morrissey, Browne and Dowling all came on, O'Brien, Moran and A Breen

Lynch was worth the admission alone, lovely flicks and surging runs. I think half forward is the ideal position for him as well. Dan Morrissey also showed well at wing back marking Kevin Moran. King and Allis mixed good and bad, King covers some amount of ground. Begley is an interesting experiment at 14 - he is a big man, broke a lot of ball that came in and also fought hard to stop Waterford clearing, but we have better hurlers to put at full-forward without sacrificing ball winning ability.

Felt we played better hurling throughout but were very wasteful with shots for points. Umpire manning the white flag at the town end added a bit of comedy, taking his time toddling up to signal a wide/point on a few occasions and struggling to maintain his balance. Fairly cold, slushy conditions underfoot and a miserable shower in the middle of the second half as the icing on the cake. We fielded our championship fullback line for the entire match and learned nothing new in this area.

Lynch is such a talent, I don't want to hype him up too much but he has real class. You don't want it to go to his head or anything, and plenty of young talents haven't made it at the highest level, but he is a special hurler. I really think he is good enough to start this year.

I wanted to see King tried at midfield, specifically for the reason you said, he covers a lot of ground. But I suppose how you utilise it is also important.

One thing about the corner-backs, he's been playing Seanie O'Brien back there in the challenge matches and he's college-tied, so what other options do we have now that Carmody & Dempsey are gone? There's King, but he obviously wanted him in midfield.

centre back too is a closed shop and presumably Morrissey only got the run because walsh got injured, i'll spew if we send out the same back 7 as last year come championship they're not good enough, haven't seen much of tomas ryan yet

It was Allis that came into the team because of the injury though, Condon had been named at half-back. Interesting in itself that it's Condon rather than Hickey (or Walsh) who is being tried in that line. I'm a fan of Hickey further out the field, but Condon could be a good centre-back, I think.

Good to hear that Dan did well though, hopefully he can put his hand up. Otherwise, there's the possibility of Quaid, if the rumours about Murphy starting in the league are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Looking at the Waterford team loads young guys with not much experience.

Anyone at the match know how Pa Walsh went?

WATERFORD: Stephen O’Keeffe; Mark McNulty, Shane Fives, Noel Connors; Gavin O’Brien, Austin Gleeson, Pa Walsh; Martin O’Neill, Shane O’Sullivan; Kevin Moran, Thomas Connors, Donie Breathnach; Brian O’Halloran, Jake Dillon, Michael Kearney.

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Looking at the Waterford team loads young guys with not much experience.

Anyone at the match know how Pa Walsh went?

WATERFORD: Stephen O’Keeffe; Mark McNulty, Shane Fives, Noel Connors; Gavin O’Brien, Austin Gleeson, Pa Walsh; Martin O’Neill, Shane O’Sullivan; Kevin Moran, Thomas Connors, Donie Breathnach; Brian O’Halloran, Jake Dillon, Michael Kearney.

Someone posted in the Waterford thread about it, mentioned Walsh.

Certainly a lot less experienced than the team we had out, a very callow half-back line in particular. With the team we had out, you'd have expected us to win, if just because of the experience of our backline... a good few newer players up front alright.

I've seen a couple of people in different places praise Limerick's defence, saying that we are a strong, physical side, etc. And we are but I don't think for a top-level county, we lack a dominant half-back line. Even when Limerick were poor, we always had a great half-back line with the likes of Foley and Geary and Moran and Lawlor, even the likes of Dinny Moloney and Seamus Hickey when they played there.

We've had nice hurlers at wing-back in recent years, but I think they lack physical power and aerial ability compared to some, bar obviously Wayne Mac. I've probably said this a lot, but I really want to see a half-back line where each member expects to win his own ball most of the time. Kilkenny built their team around an unbelievable back line.

But they also have to be mobile and able to defend, that day down in Páirc Úi Caoimh still bothers me... Cork found it way too easy to pick up space between our half-back and full-back lines and Harnedy ended up getting a goal because of it, but Lehane & him also got a rake of points. We need to be able to deal with that better.

If we can add that, I'll be confident for the year ahead I think, because I think that Lynch and Morrissey will make a huge impact up front. If we can be a bit more clinical going for goals against big teams, that would be another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Very weak aerially in the half back line, can't fault them at all for work rate, and luckily Browne and Ryan provide excellent support because we'd be very badly exposed but for our midfield duo.

I remember tearing my hair out four or five years ago during a Limerick v Clare game in the minor championship; every single time when a puck out was taken the Limerick man would lead with the hurley while the Clare man he was marking attacked the dropping ball with his hand. The Limerick lads just wouldn't try to catch the damn sliotar!

So the outcome was always either Clare won clear possession as their player caught the ball; or a 50/50 was presented to both teams from the breaking ball after the Limerick man batted the ball down. I came away from that game feeling that there were serious mistakes being made in underage coaching in the county.

Gavin had a less than vintage year by his standards last year, but was back to an excellent standard in the semi and has been very consistent for years. Wayne is solid at 6 if not the quintessential classy and dominant centre back, he dominates on the wing though. I'd have full confidence in both on the wings. Paudie is a great player but i'd like him used back at midfield again. I'd love to see hickey, Morrissey or Quaid, or even condon getting a run at 6 and maybe taking over that spot. Either that or leave wayne where he is and add one of the above or Tom Ryan on the wing.

We only need to add one player to the line and have five highly rated players as options to add in. It's not a bad position to be in.

Very weak aerially in the half back line, can't fault them at all for work rate, and luckily Browne and Ryan provide excellent support because we'd be very badly exposed but for our midfield duo.

I remember tearing my hair out four or five years ago during a Limerick v Clare game in the minor championship; every single time when a puck out was taken the Limerick man would lead with the hurley while the Clare man he was marking attacked the dropping ball with his hand. The Limerick lads just wouldn't try to catch the damn sliotar!

So the outcome was always either Clare won clear possession as their player caught the ball; or a 50/50 was presented to both teams from the breaking ball after the Limerick man batted the ball down. I came away from that game feeling that there were serious mistakes being made in underage coaching in the county.

It was one of the things that infuriated me about John Allen. He put Brian Geary to centre-forward, who we all know is a fine fielder of the ball, but then obviously had him under instructions to bat everything down. Made everything a lottery and against good teams, they'd have their midfield dropping deep and would sweep up a lot against us. I mean, I understand you can't win every single thing in the air, but at least try.

But a lot of the recent minor teams are strong in that area, Colin Ryan against Tipp last year was one of the best displays of fielding I've ever seen in hurling... he caught everything, in all directions. Can't wait for him to be involved with the senior team. Lynch and Morrissey are decent in that regard too.

As for the half-back line, none of them are dominant in the air. Wayne is a big man but that's not his strongest asset either. Paudie is just not really a defensive wing-back at all... a nice distributor and great for long-range scoring but he's never going to physically dominate an opponent. Gavin is an interesting one, wonderfully gifted hurler and well able to catch a ball but is he capable of going toe-to-toe with someone like the Bonner Maher? Not sure.

It's why I wanted Hickey to go to the half-back line, he's very strong in the air. So is Nicky Quaid, who is safe as a house under a high ball. It was also the reason I've been calling for the likes of Cathal Mc, Diarmuid Byrnes, etc. to be given a go; you have to have half-backs who can win high ball. Even Breen tried back there would be good. Hopefully Ryan & Morrissey get given plenty of chances anyway.

Up front, we're potentially in a very good position. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Dowling, Hannon and Mulcahy are 3 of the best forwards in the country. Maybe Hannon has to go on a bit longer run of form to prove it, but there's no doubting his talent. Then you've got Downes, who I think is potentially one of the best, but he had a poor year. It's his decision-making more than anything that lets him down, he has all the natural assets... maybe finding his best position is also a problem. And now we've got Cian Lynch... who is pure quality. He is young, very young, but Hannon & Dowling both showed what they could do first year out of minor (so did Mulcahy actually, our best forward against Cork in 2010 I'd say), Lynch is possibly even better than both. That leaves one position up for grabs with Breen, Dodge, Tobin and Morrissey all good options. Possibly even the other Breen and Reidy too. And if any of the first 5 are out of form, like Downes was last year, we should have more options this year. It's just about facilitating those forwards to get the best out of them... hopefully TJ can do that.

Tighten up the backs and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Lynch is such a talent, I don't want to hype him up too much but he has real class. You don't want it to go to his head or anything, and plenty of young talents haven't made it at the highest level, but he is a special hurler. I really think he is good enough to start this year.

I wanted to see King tried at midfield, specifically for the reason you said, he covers a lot of ground. But I suppose how you utilise it is also important.

One thing about the corner-backs, he's been playing Seanie O'Brien back there in the challenge matches and he's college-tied, so what other options do we have now that Carmody & Dempsey are gone? There's King, but he obviously wanted him in midfield.

It was Allis that came into the team because of the injury though, Condon had been named at half-back. Interesting in itself that it's Condon rather than Hickey (or Walsh) who is being tried in that line. I'm a fan of Hickey further out the field, but Condon could be a good centre-back, I think.

Good to hear that Dan did well though, hopefully he can put his hand up. Otherwise, there's the possibility of Quaid, if the rumours about Murphy starting in the league are true.

Reasonable outing on Saturday, with the experience you would expect them to win, good to at least get another game, would hope to see someone new tried in the full back line next day, think we can afford to experiment against UCC, would like to see Dan Morrissey tried at no. 6 and someone given game time at 3 in place of Richie with a new corner back, anyone know the story with Tom Ryan, seems to have slipped down the pecking order? Was on the bench but didn't make an appearance against waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Colin Ryan is an excellent prospect, brilliant fielder of the ball. Will be a year or two before we see him on the senior panel, but he can and has played in a number of positions.

I would share the worries raised above regarding the half-back line (and, without intending to harp on about it, the cover we have for the full-back line). Wayne Mac is a solid centre-back: I think it is over-stated how much he carries the ball, he actually delivers quite good, low ball into the forwards on a regular basis. As a stopper in the middle of defence, he is too inclined to dive in with the shoulder, throw himself in with a haymaker, rather than stand his opponent up. The most obvious example of this was against KK last year, but even against Waterford the other day, this trait was still plain to see. Despite his physicality, he is not a dominant player in the air. However he has great pace for a player at 6 and he saved GOM and POB's blushes on numerous occasions last year with covering runs.

Hickey at 6 has been talked about for years, aerially he is very strong and he would maintain great athleticism at the centre of defence, but if people complain about Wayne taking too much out of the ball at centre-back then Hickey will cause them wojus headaches. I watch Séamus going off on long solo runs through my hands at this stage. Hickey has also never been a great striker of the ball imo. I would leave him at corner-back unless it is absolutely necessary to move him.

I am hoping by the time GOM & POB are available there will be serious competition for the wing-back spots - POB is not a half-back imo and would be better coming on as a midfielder/half-forward when a game has opened up as he is an excellent striker of a ball and has been very dependable over the years to score a "manufactured score" when we need one. He would not have the same engine for midfield though as others on the panel. GOM has played half-forward mostly for Kilmallock lately but won't be picked there for Limerick with the other players available in those lines. He has owned the number 7 jersey for years now and I think having a battle for that spot with himself and Morrissey/Tomas Ryan will be a big boost this year.

What I don't know is whether or not TJ is happy with McNamara at centre-back. If he is, then there is the comfort that he will be forced to use different wing-backs through the League: Morrissey, Tom Ryan, Allis, Tom Condon may all get looked at for 5 & 7. If he is not happy, then in the ideal world Wayne moves to 5 and at max two players that have been identified already get proper runs at the position over the coming months - Quaid may or may not get his opportunity, Morrissey might get a shot although it could be too early yet for him. Dodge would be another very good option for the position, but that only pushes settling on a long-term solution further down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Tom Ryan was never really favourite of tj as last year showed

Only played him when he has to v cork and despite having good game didn't start v cats

Wayne mac certainly starter in June just like Paudie and gavin are

Tj loyal certain core players and it's clear as day by selection so early even
    He won't change come June much imo

Only played him when he has to v cork and despite having good game didn't start v cats

Anything new to add?

And actually, if you'd paid attention in detail to the season you'd have seen Ryan was a favourite of TJ.

Anything new to add?

And actually, if you'd paid attention in detail to the season you'd have seen Ryan was a favourite of TJ.

If you can debate points please do so and avoid cherry picking please

I asked you numerous questions regards limerick before you choose to ignore as your loyal devotes tj Ryan fan club does no wrong
    Rather than add few comments here to my posts will you debate them please

This thread some not all and you in particular just cause you don't like what been said want people shut up

I'm sorry now but it's opinion forum I give my opinion and be fair I always debate and points

Fair enough you don't agree my views just put me on ignore then
    Just my opinion but it's good have different views as other wise you would have just no view questioning tactic set up this group

Ill ask you again please
    Who in your opinion is tactical mastermind in this set up???

You fail to answer that with respect ,

What do you make martin kiely column saying limerick should get divine inspiration from man above???

Do you belive in divine inspiration for limerick hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

I think his hand is going to be forced by the fact that neither POB & GOM will be available for the league. He may go back to GOM but I would be surprised and disappointed if he went back to both. There will be ample opportunity this time for players to put themselves in the shop window, whereas last year by the time everything had calmed after the dual-manager saga etc there were only a certain number of proven players. I'll continue being optimistic on this front regarding TJ for the time being, although I understand where you are coming from.

Tom Ryan was on the bench against WD on Saturday I think and was unused. I don't know if he had an injury problems preventing him getting a run out, but I think he would have more to offer than Allis who played 5. Allis is a conundrum, all of the attributes of being a fine hurler, but it hasn't worked out for him at senior.

I think his hand is going to be forced by the fact that neither POB & GOM will be available for the league. He may go back to GOM but I would be surprised and disappointed if he went back to both. There will be ample opportunity this time for players to put themselves in the shop window, whereas last year by the time everything had calmed after the dual-manager saga etc there were only a certain number of proven players. I'll continue being optimistic on this front regarding TJ for the time being, although I understand where you are coming from.

Tom Ryan was on the bench against WD on Saturday I think and was unused. I don't know if he had an injury problems preventing him getting a run out, but I think he would have more to offer than Allis who played 5. Allis is a conundrum, all of the attributes of being a fine hurler, but it hasn't worked out for him at senior.

That's good post be fair

People think I'm zones in on tj not at all

Just management selection as even some here even said at times very questionable

If you can debate points please do so and avoid cherry picking please

I asked you numerous questions regards limerick before you choose to ignore as your loyal devotes tj Ryan fan club does no wrong
    Rather than add few comments here to my posts will you debate them please

This thread some not all and you in particular just cause you don't like what been said want people shut up

I'm sorry now but it's opinion forum I give my opinion and be fair I always debate and points

Fair enough you don't agree my views just put me on ignore then
    Just my opinion but it's good have different views as other wise you would have just no view questioning tactic set up this group

Ill ask you again please
    Who in your opinion is tactical mastermind in this set up???

You fail to answer that with respect ,

What do you make martin kiely column saying limerick should get divine inspiration from man above???

Do you belive in divine inspiration for limerick hurling
    Sorry, but trying to bring up the Martin Kiely example as an example of anything about limerick hurling is daft imo! it was an off the cuff remark he made about seeing it on top of croagh Patrick! Also mentioned the bouncers, should garryspillane be held up as relying on divine inspiration, plenty here are questioning the panel, performances with well thought out reservations, not relying on cliches about TJ having favourites and relying on heart and passion etc.

Allis looked great against tipp in john Allen's first year, showed great pace and looked at home in the Munster championship, doesn't seem to have progressed since then though, it's a make or break year for him this year with the minors starting to come through, was impressed with tom Ryan's cameos last year and he deserves game time as a viable alternative at wing back, would be a Shame to see his progress stalled...

ASR v Hamilton game moved from 1.30pm to 3pm as pitch is unplayable at present.

Edit; Charleville on standby for 3pm throw in if Mallow still unplayable.

Thinkstoomuch:

My post was short because you're repeating what you've already written many times.

I've answered you on your "tactical mastermind" question. Limerick have not been shown up tactically under TJ, and style and tactics improved out of all proportion once O'Grady left. Cork on the other hand have been exposed tactically a few times now under JBM. TJ, Beary and co have had half a season in charge and it went far better than expected.

Martin Kiely is an ignoramus and I put no meas in anything he says. Even so, why are you banging on about a throwaway comment from a local journalist. No one answered because no cared.

Tom Ryan got a lot of game time in midfield for the league then was dropped for good reasons. TJ brought him back into the fold when he took over, which shows the regard he had for Ryan.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Sorry, but trying to bring up the Martin Kiely example as an example of anything about limerick hurling is daft imo! it was an off the cuff remark he made about seeing it on top of croagh Patrick! Also mentioned the bouncers, should garryspillane be held up as relying on divine inspiration, plenty here are questioning the panel, performances with well thought out reservations, not relying on cliches about TJ having favourites and relying on heart and passion etc.

I have respect you and others as ye actually admit he's not king made out be

Other poster here fast criticism me yet when question again chooses ignore any points I make as he simply can't answer them but takes cover as usual but due a n odd remark few weeks again

As for kiely I'm not sure be honest as nothing surprises me with some in their attitude

Ollie moran was moaning about limerick got no luck v kilkkenny
    It would have been travesty if kilkkenny lost that game imo

My point has always been tj has great quality regards heart passion but no tactic mastermind within the back room team to react to game flow and adapt changes as necessary

• Advertisement

Allis looked great against tipp in john Allen's first year, showed great pace and looked at home in the Munster championship, doesn't seem to have progressed since then though, it's a make or break year for him this year with the minors starting to come through, was impressed with tom Ryan's cameos last year and he deserves game time as a viable alternative at wing back, would be a Shame to see his progress stalled...

Agree on Allis, expected more from him last year. Ryan is a wing back/mid but was pressed into service at half forward last year, needs must. He's in contention to start at wing back I think. Otherwise I'd like to see him used an impact sub in midfield with 15 or 20 to go, he's capable of having an impact on games and would be a good replacement for Jimbob I think. I'm talking about him in terms of being an impact sub at midfield because I don't expect the Browne/J Ryan starting partnership will or should be broken up.

Thinkstoomuch:

My post was short because you're repeating what you've already written many times.

I've answered you on your "tactical mastermind" question. Limerick have not been shown up tactically under TJ, and style and tactics improved out of all proportion once O'Grady left. Cork on the other hand have been exposed tactically a few times now under JBM. TJ, Beary and co have had half a season in charge and it went far better than expected.

Martin Kiely is an ignoramus and I put no meas in anything he says. Even so, why are you banging on about a throwaway comment from a local journalist. No one answered because no cared.

Tom Ryan got a lot of game time in midfield for the league then was dropped for good reasons. TJ brought him back into the fold when he took over, which shows the regard he had for Ryan.
    I totally agree regards jbm but he has added new selector time will tell

However as proven twice cork have I'm munsteer not been exposed by limerick tactically and if cork met again would win as way beat cork is sweeper but tj won't do that and limerick direct style suit cork as tj teams has no real pace at half back

Sorry now but ye didn't do well last year

Did ye not losses two games imo tactics out thought

Beary shown up at big games with na pisraaugh

Davy Clarke imo not great coach

Ye have added no tactical nous at al
    all as for kiely top journalists most time, I understand you don't know like him being pro county board man and tj man you don't like anyone challenges your view or goes unpopular road with respect

Kiely has had some outrageous articles attacking players down the years. I dislike him for that. He talks a lot of nonsense. He's also a dreadful writer.

Agree to disagree on Limerick v Cork, I fully expect we will beat cork in the coming season if we play them. Time will tell.

Kiely; good broadcaster, but dodgy journalist at times, a little too fond of citing unnamed sources for my liking, the back page can read more like a gossip column at times. But in fairness to the man, he does write some good stuff at times. I enjoyed his response to Oliver Mann's bizarre attack on him when he was re-elected. Mann is a clown, his behaviour last year that led to Donal O'Grady walking away was utterly ridiculous, he pretty much slandered O'Grady (and TJ) and started f**king about with trying to involve mediators instead of just putting his hands up and apologising to O'Grady for lying.

Main thing about Kiely; he is by no means a mouthpiece for the general feelings amongst Limerick GAA people.

Kiely has had some outrageous articles attacking players down the years. I dislike him for that. He talks a lot of nonsense. He's also a dreadful writer.

Agree to disagree on Limerick v Cork, I fully expect we will beat cork in the coming season if we play them. Time will tell.
    He's challenged views

Obviously your county board man can do no wrong players he criticism were valid and when questioned tj last strike was cotrrect

Those that don't like him are does that live in a bubble of unfounded optimisation that refuse to accept reality or gravity of situation

Tj record v cork is played three lost three as sole manager one former great said me when draw was being done let's hope cork get limerick as there so predictable under Ryan as night follows day and tj doesn't take advice really he likes control things he's way

We'll agree disagree but when ye don't win all Ireland again this year I'll look forward to your reasoning behind it as you clearly and correctly said players there in limerick

If limerick don't win imo it's failing management
    And they won't win the all Ireland under this management team imo
    But just be clear I fully belive all Ireland in limerick senior hurling playing talent wise
    I have no doubt bout that

I'm a county board man and if limerick fail to win the all Ireland it will be because of TJ's tactical failure...

:D

Colin Ryan is an excellent prospect, brilliant fielder of the ball. Will be a year or two before we see him on the senior panel, but he can and has played in a number of positions.

I would share the worries raised above regarding the half-back line (and, without intending to harp on about it, the cover we have for the full-back line). Wayne Mac is a solid centre-back: I think it is over-stated how much he carries the ball, he actually delivers quite good, low ball into the forwards on a regular basis. As a stopper in the middle of defence, he is too inclined to dive in with the shoulder, throw himself in with a haymaker, rather than stand his opponent up. The most obvious example of this was against KK last year, but even against Waterford the other day, this trait was still plain to see. Despite his physicality, he is not a dominant player in the air. However he has great pace for a player at 6 and he saved GOM and POB's blushes on numerous occasions last year with covering runs.

Hickey at 6 has been talked about for years, aerially he is very strong and he would maintain great athleticism at the centre of defence, but if people complain about Wayne taking too much out of the ball at centre-back then Hickey will cause them wojus headaches. I watch Séamus going off on long solo runs through my hands at this stage. Hickey has also never been a great striker of the ball imo. I would leave him at corner-back unless it is absolutely necessary to move him.

I am hoping by the time GOM & POB are available there will be serious competition for the wing-back spots - POB is not a half-back imo and would be better coming on as a midfielder/half-forward when a game has opened up as he is an excellent striker of a ball and has been very dependable over the years to score a "manufactured score" when we need one. He would not have the same engine for midfield though as others on the panel. GOM has played half-forward mostly for Kilmallock lately but won't be picked there for Limerick with the other players available in those lines. He has owned the number 7 jersey for years now and I think having a battle for that spot with himself and Morrissey/Tomas Ryan will be a big boost this year.

What I don't know is whether or not TJ is happy with McNamara at centre-back. If he is, then there is the comfort that he will be forced to use different wing-backs through the League: Morrissey, Tom Ryan, Allis, Tom Condon may all get looked at for 5 & 7. If he is not happy, then in the ideal world Wayne moves to 5 and at max two players that have been identified already get proper runs at the position over the coming months - Quaid may or may not get his opportunity, Morrissey might get a shot although it could be too early yet for him. Dodge would be another very good option for the position, but that only pushes settling on a long-term solution further down the road.

Purely looking at strengthening the aerial side of things, I wouldn't say Allis is the answer. Not even sure about Condon in that regard, good hurler and could flourish higher up the pitch but he's not a powerhouse in the air either.

He's never had a game where he's looked as good as he did that day and it's a pity.

Kiely; good broadcaster, but dodgy journalist at times, a little too fond of citing unnamed sources for my liking, the back page can read more like a gossip column at times. But in fairness to the man, he does write some good stuff at times. I enjoyed his response to Oliver Mann's bizarre attack on him when he was re-elected. Mann is a clown, his behaviour last year that led to Donal O'Grady walking away was utterly ridiculous, he pretty much slandered O'Grady (and TJ) and started f**king about with trying to involve mediators instead of just putting his hands up and apologising to O'Grady for lying.

Main thing about Kiely; he is by no means a mouthpiece for the general feelings amongst Limerick GAA people.

I have no time for Kiely. Or Mann. If you were to actually read every one of his articles, his opinions change like the wind. He's always had favourites and does take sides, while slagging off some people, but the minute they come to prominence, he tries to curry favour once again. At times, he tries to be controversial but whether he believes all he writes, I'm not sure.

Poor journalist imo, no time for him anymore... I'm sure he comes out with good ones every now and then but he's lost all credibility imo.

Ard Scoil and Hammies level at 4 apiece in the Harty Cup Quarter Final. Threw in at 3pm.

Ard Scoil beat them by 13 last year, was a bit of a freak score, looks like it's going to be very tight this year.

0-7 to 0-6 in favour of ASR.

• Advertisement

Are lynch and casey playing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement