Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Are lynch and casey playing?

No idea, only following on twitter. Haven't seen any mention of any players yet. Maybe they'll mention at half-time.

Ard Scoil lead by a point at the break, 0-8 to 0-7.

I tweeted Jerome O'Connell, but he didn't reply, but clearly Ronan Lynch is playing anyway, just scored a goal.

1-10 to 0-10.

Ard Scoil have now scored 1-3 without reply. 1-13 to 0-10.

Goal for the Hammies. 1-14 to 1-10.

1-16 to 1-11 final score, Ard Scoil through to the semi-final vs Rochestown. Think they had the wind in the 2nd half, looks like they made good use of it. Had a bit of a purple patch where they scored 1-4 without reply.

• Advertisement

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/champions-ardscoil-ris-book-harty-cup-semi-final-spot-1-6530330

So both Lynch & Casey did play, scoring a goal and 0-3 from play respectively. By all accounts, Ronan Lynch had a huge influence on the game when he moved to midfield and was the best player on the pitch.

Very impressive scoring from Mackey though, 0-5 from play, he'll be an important player for the minors this year, you'd think. Gillane also got 0-4, and has played senior for the Well... selection issues aside, it does show how talented the minors last year were that he, Dylan Dawson and Barry Murphy couldn't get a game up front. We are blessed for talent at the moment.

This year's minors are unlikely to be as strong, but I suppose it is good news that some of those players are working with a good coach and winning games... it can't hurt. I'd expect Hogan, Houlihan, Grimes, Mackey, Casey, Boylan, Mulcahy and Ryan all to be involved in the panel. Not quite as star-studded as last year or the year before, but still plenty of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Fireball07 wrote: »
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/champions-ardscoil-ris-book-harty-cup-semi-final-spot-1-6530330

So both Lynch & Casey did play, scoring a goal and 0-3 from play respectively. By all accounts, Ronan Lynch had a huge influence on the game when he moved to midfield and was the best player on the pitch.

Very impressive scoring from Mackey though, 0-5 from play, he'll be an important player for the minors this year, you'd think. Gillane also got 0-4, and has played senior for the Well... selection issues aside, it does show how talented the minors last year were that he, Dylan Dawson and Barry Murphy couldn't get a game up front. We are blessed for talent at the moment.

This year's minors are unlikely to be as strong, but I suppose it is good news that some of those players are working with a good coach and winning games... it can't hurt. I'd expect Hogan, Houlihan, Grimes, Mackey, Casey, Boylan, Mulcahy and Ryan all to be involved in the panel. Not quite as star-studded as last year or the year before, but still plenty of quality.

Heard from reliable source tom morrisey was outstanding around five points play in ul freshers challenge v clare under twenty one tonight

Outstanding player

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

There's not the same star quality of minor player this year alright, hopefully they can get an even, balanced team with paddy o' loughlin, Flanagan and Casey to provide experience and something extra...getting over Cork at the semi stage would be the key achievement, from there you wouldn't know what could happen but that's the big one, Cork would have a good team this year aswell judging by Harty results etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Mehapoy wrote: »
    There's not the same star quality of minor player this year alright, hopefully they can get an even, balanced team with paddy o' loughlin, Flanagan and Casey to provide experience and something extra...getting over Cork at the semi stage would be the key achievement, from there you wouldn't know what could happen but that's the big one, Cork would have a good team this year aswell judging by Harty results etc.

Cork will be favourites to progress further.

Heard from reliable source tom morrisey was outstanding around five points play in ul freshers challenge v clare under twenty one tonight

Outstanding player

Aye, he's class alright. Improved a lot in the last 12 months too.

• Advertisement

Mehapoy wrote: »

McNamara
    Hogan O'Loughlin Doran
    Carroll Byrnes McSweeney
    Flanagan Grimes
    Dillon Murphy Mackey
    Lonergan O'Connell Casey

That might be a very rough outline of what the team might look like. Flanagan might be used up front, but we have a good few talented forwards and he has such a good engine that I could see him being used around the middle of the field. If someone like Peadar Collins or Luke Doran can get a hold of the full-back jersey, and do a good job, it might free up Paddy O'Loughlin to move out the field.

I don't know how the management plan to utilise some of the players, so that's mostly guesswork, Barry Murphy might be preferred closer to goal, but I think he could do a good job at 11. Byrnes would be a solid centre-back. Whelan of Doon might get in at corner-back, likewise Brian Ryan could get in in a few positions, then you've got Boylan, Collins, Andrews, Broderick, Hackett, Houlihan and O'Brien who all featured in this year's minor final and were involved in the U-17 setup this year. A few players all make a late push too.

Considering 6 or 7 of those players I named will be playing senior for their clubs next year and making it onto the pitch, that is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Mainly for TTM.

I think it's fair to say most people on here would have concerns about the year ahead with our management and have some reservations.

I'd have to disagree when you say if Limerick beat KK it would have been the wrong result. The turning point in that game was down to naïvety at a crucial stage. We were two points up and Donal O'Grady gave away an outrageous needless foul under the Hogan stand and was very lucky to see yellow. Result was ball lobbed in and a goal resulted. Once Kk got the 2 point lead they defended with their lives and deservedly won. Many feel the rain cost us that day (I'd agree) but you have the opposite opinion which is fair enough.

I'll openly admit you know far more about Limerick players than I do but I feel you're very disingenuous dismissing our style. Yes we play 15 on 15 but its far from hip and whip stuff. Last year we played some intelligent hurling in the backs - getting the ball to the man in space - and yes we did hit some silly long balls at times - high balls into small forwards against Tipp for instance - but by and large they were trying to do the right thing getting quick ball into our forwards.

All managers get it wrong at times, look at Davy last year with Clare leaving Jack Browne (I think) inside when he was on a yellow and in big trouble and then got sent off. Let's not forget Clare were badly beaten by Cork in 2013 in Munster and despite being the far better team in the drawn all Ireland needed a hail Mary point from under the Cusack stand by a cornerback. Small margins decide games sometimes but good managers learn from mistakes which Davy did.

I think TJ is learning in the way he's trying out guys in positions which many felt underperformed last year (half backs) but we had no tried and trusted replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 celticcc1

Any idea of the score/teams from last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 celticcc1

UL v Clare U21s

• Registered Users Posts: 7 West_Forward

McNamara
    Hogan O'Loughlin Doran
    Carroll Byrnes McSweeney
    Flanagan Grimes
    Dillon Murphy Mackey
    Lonergan O'Connell Casey

That might be a very rough outline of what the team might look like. Flanagan might be used up front, but we have a good few talented forwards and he has such a good engine that I could see him being used around the middle of the field. If someone like Peadar Collins or Luke Doran can get a hold of the full-back jersey, and do a good job, it might free up Paddy O'Loughlin to move out the field.

I don't know how the management plan to utilise some of the players, so that's mostly guesswork, Barry Murphy might be preferred closer to goal, but I think he could do a good job at 11. Byrnes would be a solid centre-back. Whelan of Doon might get in at corner-back, likewise Brian Ryan could get in in a few positions, then you've got Boylan, Collins, Andrews, Broderick, Hackett, Houlihan and O'Brien who all featured in this year's minor final and were involved in the U-17 setup this year. A few players all make a late push too.

Considering 6 or 7 of those players I named will be playing senior for their clubs next year and making it onto the pitch, that is impressive.

Who is the o connell on that team?

Darren O'Connell, Pallaskenry. Maybe slight bias as it's my own club but he feature prominently for the U-17s last year, but seems to be expected to start this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

This was despite Cork senior panellist Luke Meade being detailed to mark Lynch when he was at midfield and at centre forward. Told they had a good battle but Lynch had the better of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

WF there were 2 Boylans on Ard Scoil team yest, ( Na Piarsaigh ) one corner back didn't start although named on team sheet

are they Dave Boylans sons - previously midleton and Limk team doc last few years

Which of them ( or both ) do you reckon is minor potential ?

celticcc1 wrote: »
    UL v Clare U21s

Wasn't at it but heard clare were well beaten by close to twenty points and ul got few goals
    Ul fresher's have serious panel intercounty stars so who ever played were good hurlers, strong coach with Declan Fitzgerald

Clare have new coach also Seanie mcmahon terrific coach
    Think clare manger is same one lads last year there

N20 wrote: »
    WF there were 2 Boylans on Ard Scoil team yest, ( Na Piarsaigh ) one corner back didn't start although named on team sheet

are they Dave Boylans sons - previously midleton and Limk team doc last few years

Yes thry would be Dave won midelton in the 80s

Conor imo most potential for minor

• Advertisement

This was despite Cork senior panellist Luke Meade being detailed to mark Lynch when he was at midfield and at centre forward. Told they had a good battle but Lynch had the better of it.
    Lynch played most game st
    Half back and midfield

Hes goal was class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Wasn't at it but heard clare were well beaten by close to twenty points and ul got few goals
    Ul fresher's have serious panel intercounty stars so who ever played were good hurlers, strong coach with Declan Fitzgerald

Clare have new coach also Seanie mcmahon terrific coach
    Think clare manger is same one lads last year there

Whose center back for UL freshers? Think I saw them play one day, they had a good corner forward with a yellow helmet and the center back got a super point. Can't even remember who they were playing, I suppose the lad mightn't even be center back at this stage.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Mainly for TTM.

I think it's fair to say most people on here would have concerns about the year ahead with our management and have some reservations.

I'd have to disagree when you say if Limerick beat KK it would have been the wrong result. The turning point in that game was down to naïvety at a crucial stage. We were two points up and Donal O'Grady gave away an outrageous needless foul under the Hogan stand and was very lucky to see yellow. Result was ball lobbed in and a goal resulted. Once Kk got the 2 point lead they defended with their lives and deservedly won. Many feel the rain cost us that day (I'd agree) but you have the opposite opinion which is fair enough.

I'll openly admit you know far more about Limerick players than I do but I feel you're very disingenuous dismissing our style. Yes we play 15 on 15 but its far from hip and whip stuff. Last year we played some intelligent hurling in the backs - getting the ball to the man in space - and yes we did hit some silly long balls at times - high balls into small forwards against Tipp for instance - but by and large they were trying to do the right thing getting quick ball into our forwards.

All managers get it wrong at times, look at Davy last year with Clare leaving Jack Browne (I think) inside when he was on a yellow and in big trouble and then got sent off. Let's not forget Clare were badly beaten by Cork in 2013 in Munster and despite being the far better team in the drawn all Ireland needed a hail Mary point from under the Cusack stand by a cornerback. Small margins decide games sometimes but good managers learn from mistakes which Davy did.

I think TJ is learning in the way he's trying out guys in positions which many felt underperformed last year (half backs) but we had no tried and trusted replacement.

Some very valid points there absolutely
    I think weather all ireland finals allowed kilkkenny play savage pace even tipp couldn't live with
    Wet day prevented that pace in the semi it was more bout intensity than pace and movement

But we'll agree to disagree as I have doubts regards tactical nous in the set up
    League selection should reveal more

We have different views which is fair enough
    Time will tell in summer

Whose center back for UL freshers? Think I saw them play one day, they had a good corner forward with a yellow helmet and the center back got a super point. Can't even remember who they were playing, I suppose the lad mightn't even be center back at this stage.
    Wasn't at game don't know

But I would think bergin laois will be or the kilkkenny half back

In fairness, Ronan Lynch probably would be a senior panellist if he wasn't in school.

They have the likes of Tom Morrissey & Alan Murphy in attack, Morrissey usually wears a yellow helmet. Leigh Bergin of Laois played centre-back during the Freshers League anyway.

Still an impressive result to beat the Clare 21s, with a team of players mainly just out of minor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

In fairness, Ronan Lynch probably would be a senior panellist if he wasn't in school.

They have the likes of Tom Morrissey & Alan Murphy in attack, Morrissey usually wears a yellow helmet. Leigh Bergin of Laois played centre-back during the Freshers League anyway.

Still an impressive result to beat the Clare 21s, with a team of players mainly just out of minor.

Thought it might have been Morrissey, assume it was fresher 1s because I'm not sure Declan Fitzgerald would have been there for 2s. He was very good, even if its not anything like County level.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

N20 wrote: »

Yes and both. Probably depends on the competition for places in the backs v the forwards.

Imo will walk to all ireland fresher's title

Yes and both. Probably depends on the competition for places in the backs v the forwards.

On paper, it does look as if there is more competition up front. I'd expect some players who may be better up front to play more defensively. Like Flanagan, he plays forward for his club, school and did last year but he might influence the game more from deep.

Imo will walk to all ireland fresher's title

UCC did beat them though.

• Advertisement

On paper, it does look as if there is more competition up front. I'd expect some players who may be better up front to play more defensively. Like Flanagan, he plays forward for his club, school and did last year but he might influence the game more from deep.

UCC did beat them though.

Valid point but imo that defeat alone drive ul on if meet again

I want ucc win but from what here ul training like inter county team

Ul also have huge blend cork clare kilkkenny laois limerick etc so that early game trying blend them

Ucc lot cork lads

Ul also aware huge hype regards team anyone tell you it'd best chance ever them all ireland so I wouldn't be surprised if ul management are kind glad in way lost as it will focus minds despite all talent still got to play

Ul conceded early goals but second half actually hurled better

Imo once bitten twice shy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement