Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Fireball07 wrote: »
    On paper, it does look as if there is more competition up front. I'd expect some players who may be better up front to play more defensively. Like Flanagan, he plays forward for his club, school and did last year but he might influence the game more from deep.
    QUOTE]

Is Flanagan injured? Not with Limerick minors lately I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Cu Baire wrote: »
    On paper, it does look as if there is more competition up front. I'd expect some players who may be better up front to play more defensively. Like Flanagan, he plays forward for his club, school and did last year but he might influence the game more from deep.
    QUOTE]

Is Flanagan injured? Not with Limerick minors lately I heard.

I have no idea tbh.

There was a rumour that he wasn't going to commit because of the Leaving Cert. It is a big commitment, for sure, but he'd be a massive, massive loss to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Imo will walk to all ireland fresher's title

UCC looked the better team in the league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

They did but still despite David Fitzgerald sent off ul were just three points in it

Ul made three changes so they showed depth have and complete won second half

Early goals rocked them straight off ucc got ist goal in mallow

Ucc had better team imo last year lost point in quater final in ul

Ul much better team imo this year ucc are not as strong imo this year

They did but still despite David Fitzgerald sent off ul were just three points in it

While ul have more players to work with on the face of it you can only pick 15 and ucc clearly had their homework
    done with that small lad centre forward whose name escapes me and the way they moved Fitzgerald around at full back.
    They also hunted Ian galvin to death which took a lot out of uls attack and stopped Morrissey turning.
    I thought Horgan was going to do well from his start but Walsh totally dominated midfield.
    The goals ul got put them back in the game but they never hurled like they believed they could turn it around.
    Fitzgeralds sending off was very late and stopped a goal from what I can recall

• Advertisement

While ul have more players to work with on the face of it you can only pick 15 and ucc clearly had their homework
    done with that small lad centre forward whose name escapes me and the way they moved Fitzgerald around at full back.
    They also hunted Ian galvin to death which took a lot out of uls attack and stopped Morrissey turning.
    I thought Horgan was going to do well from his start but Walsh totally dominated midfield.
    The goals ul got put them back in the game but they never hurled like they believed they could turn it around.

I'd agree lot that

But ul will start different team particularly at full and half back

The next day it'd who learn most and can improve most scope for potential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Browney7 wrote: »

I'd have to disagree when you say if Limerick beat KK it would have been the wrong result. The turning point in that game was down to naïvety at a crucial stage. We were two points up and Donal O'Grady gave away an outrageous needless foul under the Hogan stand and was very lucky to see yellow. Result was ball lobbed in and a goal resulted. Once Kk got the 2 point lead they defended with their lives and deservedly won. Many feel the rain cost us that day (I'd agree) but you have the opposite opinion which is fair enough.

How exactly did the rain cost Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hurleratheart

UCC have mark OConnor and waterford lad Gleeson to come on who they hadnt for league

I wouldn't put house on UL yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

citykat wrote: »
    How exactly did the rain cost Limerick?

It hasn't rained in Limerick since February 1987.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Benny Cake wrote: »
    It hasn't rained in Limerick since February 1987.

Good man. That would explain the tumbleweed...

Castletroy down by 5 with only a few minutes to go in the Harty. Youghal have been ahead for most of the game, opened a bigger gap just after half-time and have pretty much sustained it.

Barry Nash goal! It's what Castletroy needed, can they get an equaliser now?

Stoppage time equaliser for Castletroy!

Jaysus... 4 mins into injury time and Castletroy take the lead!

They won! Great result for them, sounds like an amazing comeback. 5 points down with 2 minutes to go and they scored 1-3 in the last 2 minutes of normal time + 4 mins of injury time.

Must be heartbreaking for the Youghal lads, but the ability to get scores when it really matters is a huge asset. Having the likes of Barry Nash, Andrew La Touche Cosgrave and Lorcan Lyons will help there, I suppose, having experience at county minor level.

Some comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

They won! Great result for them, sounds like an amazing comeback. 5 points down with 2 minutes to go and they scored 1-3 in the last 2 minutes of normal time + 4 mins of injury time.

Must be heartbreaking for the Youghal lads, but the ability to get scores when it really matters is a huge asset. Having the likes of Barry Nash, Andrew La Touche Cosgrave and Lorcan Lyons will help there, I suppose, having experience at county minor level.

Some comeback.
    Great comeback alright, was only following it on twitter but it was a real smash and grab raid, the winning point was the only time they lead in the whole game I think...shows the value of a bit if experience and know how to win i suppose, like ard scoil not an outstanding team but great guts and heart, will be interesting to see how they go against Thurles. Good to see the two limerick schools keeping cork schools down, any psychological advantage coming into the minor clash going limericks way so far...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Great comeback alright, was only following it on twitter but it was a real smash and grab raid, the winning point was the only time they lead in the whole game I think...shows the value of a bit if experience and know how to win i suppose, like ard scoil not an outstanding team but great guts and heart, will be interesting to see how they go against Thurles. Good to see the two limerick schools keeping cork schools down, any psychological advantage coming into the minor clash going limericks way so far...

Thurles seem to be very strong, I think they'll win it outright tbh.

But yeah, each game they get to play at a higher level helps them for the minor game although a lot of their key players are overage.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-s-castletroy-score-dramatic-harty-cup-quarter-final-win-1-6534401

Match report from the Leader.

Barry Nash scored 1-4, ALTC scored 0-3, including the last-minute winner. Apparently the corner forward Conor Nicholas is only 15, supposed to be a real star at U-16 level.

Was over looking at the Clarehurlers forum to see if anyone there had been at the UL vs Clare U-21 match, apparently our minors beat their's pretty comfortably today.

4-22 to 1-11 or something like that. Obviously had no Castletroy players, not sure if Ard Scoil players would have been playing, might have been a bit much to expect them to be.

I know TAN from there posts on boards too, might be able to give us some more details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Sounds like a great comeback from CTroy. Well done to them. Usually limerick teams are more adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory than the other way round!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hurleratheart

Was over looking at the Clarehurlers forum to see if anyone there had been at the UL vs Clare U-21 match, apparently our minors beat their's pretty comfortably today.

4-22 to 1-11 or something like that. Obviously had no Castletroy players, not sure if Ard Scoil players would have been playing, might have been a bit much to expect them to be.

I know TAN from there posts on boards too, might be able to give us some more details.

saw that to, clare aren't out til 1 July so prob not at full tilt yet

Tipp favs for munster this year, the rest of us will be scrappin for 2nd slot.

saw that to, clare aren't out til 1 July so prob not at full tilt yet

Tipp favs for munster this year, the rest of us will be scrappin for 2nd slot.

Yeah I wouldn't read too much into the result tbh, very early in the year. I suppose there might be positions on the panel up for grabs, but bar that, a challenge game in the cold of January is nothing like a Munster game in the summer.

That said, Clare haven't been great at minor level since 2012 really. I know they beat Tipp last year but Tipp were very poor tbh.

It's a strong possibility that Limerick would have to play Cork twice in next year's minor Championship and they'll be a big test.

Yeah I wouldn't read too much into the result tbh, very early in the year. I suppose there might be positions on the panel up for grabs, but bar that, a challenge game in the cold of January is nothing like a Munster game in the summer.

That said, Clare haven't been great at minor level since 2012 really. I know they beat Tipp last year but Tipp were very poor tbh.

It's a strong possibility that Limerick would have to play Cork twice in next year's minor Championship and they'll be a big test.

Clare will do nothing much at minor imo this year

There schools have been poor enough but flannans next year be strong but bar likes Hayes, shanagjer few other talented hurlers there team is not great and the coach is not great compared others either

Tippereary are absolutely flying I'n training

I saw them train once and there going to be very good

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-hurlers-with-threadbare-panel-for-students-test-1-6535547

Barely able to field a team for next weekend. Didn't know Downes was a long-term injury problem. Pity... really needed to make a case for himself during the league. Still, it's a chance for the likes of Lynch & Morrissey to really push on while Tobin and Downes are out.

But if we only have 17 fit players able to play, you'd wonder why we didn't name a slightly bigger panel and then cut them, even just to have a look at players off the bench. I mean we knew we'd be without 8 straight off in the Kilmallock players and the college-tied ones. And we presumably knew Tobin & Downes were injured.

I know Dempsey and Carmody couldn't play in the WCC because of college commitments either, but maybe a couple more freshers just out of minor, just to get them involved. Maybe someone like Michael Casey or Sean Finn or someone. Just an idea. Or even slightly older players like McNamara or Ahern... just so we don't end up in the farcical situation of playing with less than 15!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Barely able to field a team for next weekend. Didn't know Downes was a long-term injury problem. Pity... really needed to make a case for himself during the league. Still, it's a chance for the likes of Lynch & Morrissey to really push on while Tobin and Downes are out.

But if we only have 17 fit players able to play, you'd wonder why we didn't name a slightly bigger panel and then cut them, even just to have a look at players off the bench. I mean we knew we'd be without 8 straight off in the Kilmallock players and the college-tied ones. And we presumably knew Tobin & Downes were injured.

I know Dempsey and Carmody couldn't play in the WCC because of college commitments either, but maybe a couple more freshers just out of minor, just to get them involved. Maybe someone like Michael Casey or Sean Finn or someone. Just an idea. Or even slightly older players like McNamara or Ahern... just so we don't end up in the farcical situation of playing with less than 15!

Ya seems a bit short sighted alright, what's the harm in having someone like the two lads you mentioned get a bit of experience of the panel in January and sit on the bench, the most glaring one is goal keeper, they knew they would only have 1 keeper available so why not bring in Colin Ryan or Last years minor keeper as a backup option, if only to cover for Nicky getting an injury..,

Ya seems a bit short sighted alright, what's the harm in having someone like the two lads you mentioned get a bit of experience of the panel in January and sit on the bench, the most glaring one is goal keeper, they knew they would only have 1 keeper available so why not bring in Colin Ryan or Last years minor keeper as a backup option, if only to cover for Nicky getting an injury..,

I suppose he doesn't want to play players who are still in school, and I can understand that, but yeah it is an odd one. I don't think Darragh Stapleton played in the WCC, someone like him or even Padraig Kennedy or Brian Murray or someone.

Imo it's a disaster if can barely field a team yet knew too well the injury situation and complex problems

This imo yet so early shows what I always said this management team has huge concerns going forward

Also begs the question why despite knowing gravity of injury situation why was lynch and morrosey playing challenge games from club and colleague Monday night

Morrosey I heard played ul outstanding

And lynch I heard played under twenty one game for he's club challenge match
    I don't know if played full game but he started anyway

Fair enough boys need play clubs etc and all but like game on Saturday with injury worries they have absent players imo I'd be trying keep these lads limerick this week and then say kook help us out here but we'll give these players back other teams after Saturday win or loose once we get over our panel injuries worries
    If those lads were injured then it was more problems for limerick in trying field a team

And as said here why wasn't larger panel picked
    They may have call up lads they recently dropped now when should held firm til the injury crises cleared up kilmmallock boys were back
    Ucc won't imo field strong team so be be year saving grace
    It doesn't surprise me though selection wise with this management set up tbh and sooner or later I expect chickens to come home roost with this set imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

Castletroys win against Youghal was absolutely massive.

If they had gone out in the quarter final stages it would have been a disaster as the school has stagnated at this stage x2 before so it needed a semi final appearance to show it was worth something.

Ard Scoil Ris has Na piarsaigh/The Well/Adare to fall back on whereas Castletroy are relying on an a trying-to-build club in Monaleen and Ahane whose links with Castletroy could help restore its former glory somewhat.

Limericks underage hurling needs Castletroy. A huge catchment area but it's fighting a battle with Rugby that looks to be coming strong again. The rugby events of the past week/season though may have put a spanner in the works.

I dont fancy their chances of getting to the final as Thurles should come out of that side but it's still great that we've 2 semi final representatives for the second year in a row.

Does anyone know what the Limerick scene might be like after this year. After the highs of the last 4-5 years I wouldnt be surprise if we went into a bit of a lull.

• Advertisement

shockframe wrote: »
    Castletroys win against Youghal was absolutely massive.

If they had gone out in the quarter final stages it would have been a disaster as the school has stagnated at this stage x2 before so it needed a semi final appearance to show it was worth something.

Ard Scoil Ris has Na piarsaigh/The Well/Adare to fall back on whereas Castletroy are relying on an a trying-to-build club in Monaleen and Ahane whose links with Castletroy could help restore its former glory somewhat.

Limericks underage hurling needs Castletroy. A huge catchment area but it's fighting a battle with Rugby that looks to be coming strong again. The rugby events of the past week/season though may have put a spanner in the works.

I dont fancy their chances of getting to the final as Thurles should come out of that side but it's still great that we've 2 semi final representatives for the second year in a row.

Does anyone know what the Limerick scene might be like after this year. After the highs of the last 4-5 years I wouldnt be surprise if we went into a bit of a lull.

There has been huge huge work dome last five years by niall moran ger Downe gerry Wallis and noel hartigan great hurling people and many more grass roots up so be shame to see it undone

The talent is absolutely in limerick no doubt the problem is cork have finally got started doing work and tipp etc also but be fair have always done and limerick need keep evolving

The concern I have is daly is fine manager no doubt but coaching hurling director he's record is unproven

All work under age Dublin last seven years was done by locals and Crowley now cork gdo

Daly was more manager so it remains be seen if he is man to continue it imo and bring it to the next level
    I have my doubts tbh he's as good as Wallis and imo better candidates like declan Fitzgerald and niall moran would been terrific candidates imo

Moran proved again this week with tactical master mind he's brilliant coach and imo limerick should be doing all they can get him involved coaching and imo having him as player is wrong options
    Nothing imo offer limerick as player but so so so much imo offer as a coach

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement