Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Just for the record; it's bullcrap to suggest that the rain either helped or hindered Limerick. Both teams are effected by the conditions, it didn't rain any harder for Limerick than it did for Kilkenny, or vice versa. This tit for tat squabbling is making my eyes bleed.....
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    As Paddy says, Quaid is the only keeper we have at the moment, so has to play there. But I think they do intend trying him outfield during the league when Murphy is back. Hopefully anyway.

I'd like to think so, but given that Hennessy will most likely be unavailable due to his involvement in the club championship then putting Murphy in goal would mean not having a sub keeper on the bench should anything happen Murphy.

I'm disappointed three or four players weren't added to the panel to cover for the Kilmallock players; Dempsey, English and McNamara from Doon, (you have rightfully already singled out all three of these players as disappointing omissions I believe) and a sub keeper would have come in useful for the league at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm disappointed three or four players weren't added to the panel to cover for the Kilmallock players; Dempsey, English and McNamara from Doon, (you have rightfully already singled out all three of these players as disappointing omissions I believe) and a sub keeper would have come in useful for the league at least.

Admittedly, the first 2 of those would also be missing for the weekend. But yeah, I would have liked to see them involved. They were all included this time last year which is a little odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Admittedly, the first 2 of those would also be missing for the weekend. But yeah, I would have liked to see them involved. They were all included this time last year which is a little odd.

I hope we see some experimentation against ucc, he can afford to as they won't be that strong, no need to have your first choice full back line out for instance, waterford crystal is for giving regulars one game and trying out new things, hope TJ remembers that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I must totally agree very odd selection of league panel to say the least

Mehapoy wrote: »
    I hope we see some experimentation against ucc, he can afford to as they won't be that strong, no need to have your first choice full back line out for instance, waterford crystal is for giving regulars one game and trying out new things, hope TJ remembers that...

With only 19 or so players, there's only going to be so much experimentation.

Stuff like trying Condon at wing-back or King at corner-back is probably going to be the extent of it tbh.

• Advertisement

I must totally agree very odd selection of league panel to say the least

It's not the league panel so much as the WCC panel really.

I have a few minor quibbles with the league panel... there's a few players who have been named who I'd have in over some who were included, but it's the lack of players available for the weekend I'm more worried about.

Back to hurling. Surely Nickey Quaid is worth a go in the halfback line? Limerick selections look ultra conservative atm compared to other counties.

I'd totally agree
    You look at most teams tj coached there were always safe conservative, predictable, very little innovation or radical change once he's set on a team bar maybe just maybe two new faces

When he was Kilworth they won intermediate county title and he be fair instill a wonderful belive team ethic and culture in them
    But selection policy even in those games always the same and that never really changed after even a few close calls

Cu Baire wrote: »
    Let's not allow the thread to be all about one poster's opinions.
    A wise man once said you can be definite and even dogmatic about something and still be wrong.
    Every one has their own opinions and are entitled to hold them and even to share them continuously. Repetition does not make them right (or wrong).
    Whether Brian Ryan was a good or bad manager is obviously irrelevant to any rational person when discussing a comment he made about what ambitions Limerick hurling should have.
    Again any rational person knows there are a huge number of factors involved in having a successful team in any sport at any level including first of all the skill and ability of the players on the team but also coaching, lifestyle, nutrition, psychological preparation, discipline, luck, tactics, physical fitness, team selection. Because most or all of these factors have to work out then it is easy to always be right with pre conceived ideas about individuals on a management team. If Limerick do not win this year we will be told it was due to more tactical nous. If they win it will be despite poor tactical nous. If Cork win it will be because of the addition of Mark Landers to the management team and if they lose it will be because of the poor refereeing within the county.

Limerick posters have plenty to debate here without getting dragged into circular arguments that will always end in "I told ye so's" regardless of results.

If cork win all Ireland you would be correct in saying landers would have huge influence in it if happen but as said cork thread very much unproven so league will reveal all

If cork loose all Ireland I won't be just blaming poor referring in county
    That's huge factors in cork club scene appalling munster record in cork referee too soft imo
    But cork have panel depth pick inter county tough hurling

Imo cork I'd loose it will primary be over two reasons and only to two teams kilkenny or clare

Ist reason is cork if they fail to play a possession game and sweeper to beat clare should we meet
    And also the failure to sort full back most of all
    Tactical nous will be huge important to cork
    Jbm as said many times fine against direct predictable teams but against new tactics he struggle
    I have no problem or never have has saying that before August and after August
    Many posts even particularly after laois game I said cork struggle against blanket defence in hurling and questioned he's tactical ability
    Many in cork done the same
    We see a problem we questions it we don't like some counties see one and pretend no such problems exists
    They added landers so it remains be seen can he add the tactical nous
    Looking at limerick no one new has been added

Cork v sweeper have improved yes but still imo work in progress
    Only team imo will win all Ireland is one with tactical nous and kilkenny and clare imo only ones tick those boxes

Jbm has no doubt huge concerns regards all Ireland but imo amid concerns I still would have no fear him taking on limerick, Waterford, Galway who imo cork management is better than

I'd actually fear laois more so than the three I mentioned as there back room set up is actually better than most
    They lack resources hurling wise and depth imo but there definitely team young talent in transition and going places
    Ger cunningham ul paduric fanning and cheddar plunkett they have a lovely balance and dynamic to their set up in my opinion

We lead UCC 0-10 to 0-7 at the break.

A bit of experimentation in terms of positioning of key players:
    Quaid
    Walsh Richie Mc Hickey
    Wayne Dodge Morrissey
    Allis King
    Moran Jim-Bob Lynch
    O'Brien Begley A. Breen

Bench- Dowling, Browne, Fitzgibbon, Tom Morrissey, Condon, Ryan

If they are seriously looking at Wayne as a wing-back, Dodge as a centre-back, Allis at midfield; I'd be happy enough. Jim-Bob can do a good job at centre-forward but we need him at midfield come Championship. Bit of a pity that King didn't get a go at corner-back or Condon/Hickey at centre-back. Tom Morrissey does seem to be behind some of the others at this stage.

UCC team:
    Wallis
    Burke Glynn Breen
    Murphy Burke Roche
    Roche O'Shea
    Collins Lawton Devine
    Spillane Foran Cadogan

Some very talented players there; Cadogan, Tadhg de Búrca and Spillane foremost among them but some of the biggest guns were held back- Prendergast, O'Donnell, Lehane, Barron; so it's a game we should be winning.

0-12 to 0-10 in favour of us.

Apparently David Breen is out for a month.

• Advertisement

UCC have levelled things at 0-13 apiece...

At least we have the likes of Dowling, Browne & Morrissey to call upon.

We fell behind 0-15 0-14, but it's all level again now. About 15 mins to go.

3 points in a row since we levelled it upp, looks like we'll win this now. 0-18 to 0-15.

Spoke too soon, goal for UCC, they lead by a point. 1-16 to 0-18.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball, who's marking Cadogan and how is that match up going?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

How is the UCC center-forward Barry Lawton playing Fireball.

Fireball, who's marking Cadogan and how is that match up going?

I'm not there... if I was, I probably wouldn't be posting. Brother had a match this morning, had no way of getting out there.

We're winning again though.

We won anyway.

0-22 to 1-17. Doesn't seem as if it was the most convincing performance, but the players get another run-out before the league and a chance at silverware. Considering our record in this competition, nothing to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

We won anyway.

0-22 to 1-17. Doesn't seem as if it was the most convincing performance, but the players get another run-out before the league and a chance at silverware. Considering our record in this competition, nothing to be sniffed at.

Agreed. Didn't see anything about subs used. Good to see some of the fringe players getting a good run of games.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-hurlers-survive-students-test-to-book-final-spot-1-6540980

Contrary to the programme; Paudie Prendergast, Jamie Barron, Conor Lehane, Brian Hartnett and Shane O'Donnell all started- was a very strong UCC team out. DJ Foran got the goal for them. Apparently Conor Lehane absolutely destroyed Wayne Mac and ran riot, before he was taken off with 20 mins to go.

Limerick brought Condon and Dowling for Wayne & Tommy O'Brien at half-time. Dowling scored 0-2 from play and 0-2 from frees after coming on. Adrian Breen got 0-3 from play, can't have done himself any harm with that kind of scoring... and with O'Brien being pulled so early, you'd think Breen has pushed himself up the pecking order and will be starting in the league when Downes, Tobin and his brother are all out. Another 0-2 for Cian Lynch, and apparently he was excellent. Has to start, I think, too good to leave out.

Limerick hit 16 wides. Niall Moran got a point but I wonder how he played in general, same with Begley. Tom Ryan & Fitzgibbon didn't get a run, presume they are still injured, all the other subs got a run.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    How is the UCC center-forward Barry Lawton playing Fireball.

According to match report he didn't play just good club player but that's all in won't start for ucc in fotzgibbom they have much better than him

And he's definitely like Brian not senior inter county standard I'm sorry to say

I will say that it's good that he's trying Dodge at centre-back... because if Quaid doesn't work there, I'd be happy to see Dodge drop back. Although he is a useful asset in the forward, particularly for breaking ball, I'm not sure he has the legs for 70 minutes. Centre-back will probably be less of a toll. And if we're starting Lynch, then someone has to lose out. Breen/Hannon/Lynch would look to have a nice enough balance to it, you could maybe even move Downes there if you wanted.

In terms of matching Lehane for pace, I would say that King is our only player that could man mark him, maybe Hickey.

I would like to see Morrissey get a run from the start next weekend, O'Brien was pulled early... TJ's obviously intent on leaving Begley in at full-forward for now. I suppose we know that Dowling is going to be there for the big games, might as well give Begley a go, but I'd like to see Morrissey given a decent opportunity too.

Real pity about Tom Ryan's current injury, this was a real chance to nail down a half-back spot, but at least Dan Morrissey is being given a good shot at wing-back.

Very happy to see a new midfield partnership of King/Allis, will either cut it for Championship? Browne & Jim-Bob were arguably the best midfield pairing in the country last year, neither King or Allis are going to displace them, but it's still good to see whether they can be used if there is an injury or as a sub, so at least we'll learn something. Jim-Bob at centre-forward today, can do a good job there but I just wouldn't move him from midfield, he is too good there.

Lots of options for the league game versus Waterford though, we'll have Murphy, Seanie O'Brien, Hannon and Reidy back, they'll all be looking for a starting place... Murphy could start in goal, O'Brien was getting a run at corner-back ahead of Dempsey/Carmody, has a lot of pace... never really seen him there myself, is he capable of man-marking at the highest level? Hannon is class and then you've got Reidy who had a good league last year, was unlucky with injury, and has been going well at midfield for Mary I.

Without Downes, Tobin, David Breen, Mulcahy unavailable and the possibility of Dodge moving to defence, there are loads of spots up for grabs in attack. And with Paudie & GOM not included, there are also places in the half-back line. It should be interesting.

I will say that it's good that he's trying Dodge at centre-back... because if Quaid doesn't work there, I'd be happy to see Dodge drop back. Although he is a useful asset in the forward, particularly for breaking ball, I'm not sure he has the legs for 70 minutes. Centre-back will probably be less of a toll. And if we're starting Lynch, then someone has to lose out. Breen/Hannon/Lynch would look to have a nice enough balance to it, you could maybe even move Downes there if you wanted.

In terms of matching Lehane for pace, I would say that King is our only player that could man mark him, maybe Hickey.

I would like to see Morrissey get a run from the start next weekend, O'Brien was pulled early... TJ's obviously intent on leaving Begley in at full-forward for now. I suppose we know that Dowling is going to be there for the big games, might as well give Begley a go, but I'd like to see Morrissey given a decent opportunity too.

Real pity about Tom Ryan's current injury, this was a real chance to nail down a half-back spot, but at least Dan Morrissey is being given a good shot at wing-back.

Very happy to see a new midfield partnership of King/Allis, will either cut it for Championship? Browne & Jim-Bob were arguably the best midfield pairing in the country last year, neither King or Allis are going to displace them, but it's still good to see whether they can be used if there is an injury or as a sub, so at least we'll learn something. Jim-Bob at centre-forward today, can do a good job there but I just wouldn't move him from midfield, he is too good there.

Lots of options for the league game versus Waterford though, we'll have Murphy, Seanie O'Brien, Hannon and Reidy back, they'll all be looking for a starting place... Murphy could start in goal, O'Brien was getting a run at corner-back ahead of Dempsey/Carmody, has a lot of pace... never really seen him there myself, is he capable of man-marking at the highest level? Hannon is class and then you've got Reidy who had a good league last year, was unlucky with injury, and has been going well at midfield for Mary I.

Without Downes, Tobin, David Breen, Mulcahy unavailable and the possibility of Dodge moving to defence, there are loads of spots up for grabs in attack. And with Paudie & GOM not included, there are also places in the half-back line. It should be interesting.

Congrats on win

A win is a win

Mallow next Saturday night as cork have challenge v Wexford I'm cit day
    And I doubt they want cxcl that as we need be tested by a team of guile craft and tactics so Wexford will do that for cork where as limerick will be great test physical wise and good for our young lads

I wasn't at this game as at cork game

I heard lehane really had Wayne mac huge trouble
    Just my opinion but surely Wayne when he struggled v lehane before and lehane got five points in munster final tj would know that many would know you put hickey on lehane

Wayne mac on lehane defies all logic as he's no pace

I advocates here strong last year Adrian been had start limerick
    Three points and I'm told worked very hard shows huge potential he has
    Moran was meant be poor legs are gone and he shouldn't be starting
    Likely start v cork I hope he does
    Tj is huge huge fan Moran may even start I'm championship don't be surprised

O grady imo terrific player and I'd love have him in cork

But he wouldn't do I'm modern game as centre back over lack pace
    Hogan and Ellis cork aren't fastest but not slowest either, Ellis got faster and surprised me last year pace wise

O grady would work in sweeper system and be terrific but up against bonner maher, fennelly, harnedy, copper, or tj Reid pace wise in orthodox role he'll be beaten for pace

Congrats on win

A win is a win

Mallow next Saturday night as cork have challenge v Wexford I'm cit day
    And I doubt they want cxcl that as we need be tested by a team of guile craft and tactics so Wexford will do that for cork where as limerick will be great test physical wise and good for our young lads

I wasn't at this game as at cork game

I heard lehane really had Wayne mac huge trouble
    Just my opinion but surely Wayne when he struggled v lehane before and lehane got five points in munster final tj would know that many would know you put hickey on lehane

Wayne mac on lehane defies all logic as he's no pace

I advocates here strong last year Adrian been had start limerick
    Three points and I'm told worked very hard shows huge potential he has
    Moran was meant be poor legs are gone and he shouldn't be starting
    Likely start v cork I hope he does
    Tj is huge huge fan Moran may even start I'm championship don't be surprised

O grady imo terrific player and I'd love have him in cork

But he wouldn't do I'm modern game as centre back over lack pace
    Hogan and Ellis cork aren't fastest but not slowest either, Ellis got faster and surprised me last year pace wise

O grady would work in sweeper system and be terrific but up against bonner maher, fennelly, harnedy, copper, or tj Reid pace wise in orthodox role he'll be beaten for pace

The thing is Wayne Mac is almost certainly the fastest of our half-back line that started last year. But apparently Condon came on and had a good battle with Lehane... tbf he's a very difficult man to mark, you need to stop him getting the battle in the first place, once he has it, he'll do damage.

Brian Hogan was never the fastest, Kieran Joyce has absolutely no pace really, a deep centre-back doesn't necessarily have to have huge pace. Dodge isn't as quick as he once was, and his legs are going, but I wouldn't mind him starting there if he was offered protection from midfield. Wayne is a good, solid player but Bonner Maher gave him the runaround last year and I think Dodge would deal with him better. Quaid is hardly the quickest either, and we don't really have other options bar Condon, Hickey or Breen; none of whom seem likely.

I'd like to see Hickey tried, but the only thing about him is he does go wandering all over the place, it can be infuriating, it's why he failed at full-back. He'd be better on the wing with a bit more freedom... I'd still give him a go at centre-back, because he could dominate but it seems TJ wants him as a man-marker inside. Breen is still needed up front because of his height, hopefully we'll be able to allow him back soon, but as of now, we don't have enough ballwinners. Condon could be the answer if TJ is happy with Walsh inside, but Condon isn't exactly a sprinter either.

The thing is Wayne Mac is almost certainly the fastest of our half-back line that started last year. But apparently Condon came on and had a good battle with Lehane... tbf he's a very difficult man to mark, you need to stop him getting the battle in the first place, once he has it, he'll do damage.

Brian Hogan was never the fastest, Kieran Joyce has absolutely no pace really, a deep centre-back doesn't necessarily have to have huge pace. Dodge isn't as quick as he once was, and his legs are going, but I wouldn't mind him starting there if he was offered protection from midfield. Wayne is a good, solid player but Bonner Maher gave him the runaround last year and I think Dodge would deal with him better. Quaid is hardly the quickest either, and we don't really have other options bar Condon, Hickey or Breen; none of whom seem likely.

I'd like to see Hickey tried, but the only thing about him is he does go wandering all over the place, it can be infuriating, it's why he failed at full-back. He'd be better on the wing with a bit more freedom... I'd still give him a go at centre-back, because he could dominate but it seems TJ wants him as a man-marker inside. Breen is still needed up front because of his height, hopefully we'll be able to allow him back soon, but as of now, we don't have enough ballwinners. Condon could be the answer if TJ is happy with Walsh inside, but Condon isn't exactly a sprinter either.
    Think if you're playing a team you always mix and match your players to mark players they suit
    So you play cork you know lehane is fast so key get ball before him
    To do that you need pace

If limerick play cork in summer imo won't happen as cork will be all Ireland quatre finals limerick won't get that far, but if they did only man mark lehane is hickey

Hickey ran one those laps in ul marathon world record relay ul recently I heard
    I know few lads ran the laps
    One lap track think is four hundred metres I was told
    Hickey flew he's lap around fifty six or close to it second wise I told
    He's raw pace no doubt

As for o grady agree if got cover from midfield
    But to do that you have drop half forward cover gap in midfield like wise full forward cover gap half forward
    Tj isn't favour this he likes orthodox way

At the same time, you don't want to disrupt the whole team just to play one team. A balance has to be struck. Kilkenny don't change how they play to suit their opposition generally, they force the opposition to adapt for them.

And if TJ has learned that Wayne can't mark Lehane again, then that's one thing learned for now.

As for not meeting, maybe, maybe not. Even if Clare do beat us the first day out, who's going to beat us before the quarter-final stage? I don't see Galway or Wexford beating us, maybe Dublin but not only do I expect them to get to the Leinster final, they lack the forwards really.

Then it's the luck of the draw, you play a semi-finalist, last year Waterford beat Wexford who we then hammered. Yeah, they played a few weeks in a row, but they just weren't that good at that stage either; I think some people have forgotten how bad both sides were at times in the Clare-Wexford games. Wexford are on the right track though, with some good players, but I'd still be disappointed to lose to them.

If we beat Clare, a home game against Tipp who we've beaten 2 years on the trot. I'd fancy us again... Limerick never feared Tipp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Paudiepodge

I thought Paudie O Brien marked Conor Lehane in Munster final.....Conor ran him into ground and he had to be subbed off. Walsh came on for zo brien... and hickey went to wing. I was sitting at that side of open stand and o brien hadn't legs for him Wayne Mac spent most of game battling Bill Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

And he's definitely like Brian not senior inter county standard I'm sorry to say

Thanks for reminding us of your low opinion of this player for the 40th time even though he was not with either team involved in the match being discussed.

I thought Paudie O Brien marked Conor Lehane in Munster final.....Conor ran him into ground and he had to be subbed off. Walsh came on for zo brien... and hickey went to wing. I was sitting at that side of open stand and o brien hadn't legs for him Wayne Mac spent most of game battling Bill Cooper.

I do seem to remember O'Brien marking him for a while too, maybe Wayne did too. I've never watched that game back. Our whole half-back line got beaten that day though... O'Brien is not a man marker anyway.

• Advertisement

Cu Baire wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding us of your low opinion of this player for the 40th time even though he was not with either team involved in the match being discussed.

Questions was asked did he play well and I said didn't play well and referenced other player

Look it'd not low opinion I judge as hurler
    Look on cork thread please am I only one said that no but like always you choose single me out when others say it you don't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement