Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Paudiepodge

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I do seem to remember O'Brien marking him for a while too, maybe Wayne did too. I've never watched that game back. Our whole half-back line got beaten that day though... O'Brien is not a man marker anyway.

I was sitting on 45 at that end and it was deffo O Brien on him for most of half....Conor Lehane kept moving and drifting across the line to open space and run at him....we all knew he had the legs on him big time....hickey went out there later but damage was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Questions was asked did he play well and I said didn't play well and referenced other player

Look it'd not low opinion I judge as hurler
    Look on cork thread please am I only one said that no but like always you choose single me out when others say it you don't

No the question was asked of Fireball about how Barry Lawton played for UCC today.

Even though your post says that he didn't play you decided to take the opportunity to tell us he wasn't good enough for UCC and also brought his brother's suitability for the county team into it even though this had nothing to do with the subject being discussed. Just more examples of obvious bias against these players and their club which is plain to be seen by the rational people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Cu Baire wrote: »
    No the question was asked of Fireball about how Barry Lawton played for UCC today.

Even though your post says that he didn't play you decided to take the opportunity to tell us he wasn't good enough for UCC and also brought his brother's suitability for the county team into it even though this had nothing to do with the subject being discussed. Just more examples of obvious bias against these players and their club which is plain to be seen by the rational people on here.

No sorry to point out now but at least four cork posters said same as me cork thread
    But look fair enough you have you opinion and I value it highly as you know sure why wouldn't I, you have given my posts full attention on most threads and rarely do you enter debate on points but spend more time on my posts

I appreciate the interest keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

No sorry to point out now but at least four cork posters said same as me cork thread
    But look fair enough you have you opinion

Apology accepted but I would just point out now that this is the Limerick thread and the discussion was about the Limerick UCC game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If there is one thing that I am slightly worried about it's goals. We scored 2 against Waterford, none today. Now I know we had a sub forward line out with probably 1 player who will start there come Championship. But there can't be any harm in getting into the habit of being ruthless.

I know that Dowling, Hannon, Mulcahy, Downes and Tobin are all well capable of putting the ball in the back of the net, Adrian Breen and Tom Morrissey certainly are too. But in 2013, we only scored 1 goal in the Championship, last year we scored 6 but 0 in the two games we lost. The players are there to finish them but I think at times we are a bit cautious... in 2012, we went for goals and we did score lots.

It can be hard to get a balance right, but it comes down to player intuition really. There's no point going for goal when a chance isn't on, I remember Breen trying to force things a lot against Kilkenny... but there are times when a player is breaking through, where the movement off his shoulder needs to be better, and then he needs to make the pass and the ball away has to be put away. That's what top teams do.

You don't win All-Irelands without scoring goals, and it'd be no harm to bang a few past teams in the Waterford Crystal Cup.

• Advertisement

Apology accepted but I would just point out now that this is the Limerick thread and the discussion was about the Limerick UCC game.

No apogly lad nothing apologise for
    You want to take my meaning suit your self fair point

Thanks for interest again

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I'm glad lads who weren't at the match are here to tell us the switches that Limerick should have been made...

I've heard Breen had two very early points and one at the end, quiet in between. Moran had a good score, some lovely passes, and a rake of wides. Dodge and Lynch were the pick for Limerick.

The same being said for every game Lynch plays. He's quickly going to make it impossible for him to be left out. Hannon a nailed on half forward. Running out of spaces for Dodge, Downes, Breen, Reidy... Dodge may have to move back after all, Downes may have to find his form at corner forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

It's obvious now that this poster comes in here to disrupt any rational debate, please ignore him and he might go away, he's a wum, nobody pays head to him on the cork thread so let's ignore him and he'll be left to argue himself..

Mehapoy wrote: »
    It's obvious now that this poster comes in here to disrupt any rational debate, please ignore him and he might go away, he's a wum, nobody pays head to him on the cork thread so let's ignore him and he'll be left to argue himself..

Btw I meant ttm in this not other normal posters...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

We lead UCC 0-10 to 0-7 at the break.

A bit of experimentation in terms of positioning of key players:
    Quaid
    Walsh Richie Mc Hickey
    Wayne Dodge Morrissey
    Allis King
    Moran Jim-Bob Lynch
    O'Brien Begley A. Breen

Bench- Dowling, Browne, Fitzgibbon, Tom Morrissey, Condon, Ryan

If they are seriously looking at Wayne as a wing-back, Dodge as a centre-back, Allis at midfield; I'd be happy enough. Jim-Bob can do a good job at centre-forward but we need him at midfield come Championship. Bit of a pity that King didn't get a go at corner-back or Condon/Hickey at centre-back. Tom Morrissey does seem to be behind some of the others at this stage.

UCC team:
    Wallis
    Burke Glynn Breen
    Murphy Burke Roche
    Roche O'Shea
    Collins Lawton Devine
    Spillane Foran Cadogan

Some very talented players there; Cadogan, Tadhg de Búrca and Spillane foremost among them but some of the biggest guns were held back- Prendergast, O'Donnell, Lehane, Barron; so it's a game we should be winning.

Just looking at the Limerick team, 5 of the 6 guys in forward positions didn't start last year and Jim Bob midfield so that's a good thing to see as our forward options were limited off the bench last year to just Tobin and Tom Ryan really. I was roaring in the Tipp game with 15 minutes to go but in hindsight who had we to bring in?

I'd like for him to explore more full back line options but at the same time that line is strong so why change it? Half back line needs improvement from last year but I have faith in Gavin O'Mahoney this year as I felt he performed quite well in Croke park and he is a very good player. Anyone know how Stephen Walsh played today and who was he marking? He hasn't played much of a part in recent years but has been kept on the panel nonetheless.

Is Wayne Mac an inter county centre back I'm not sure and every team will target us here. Felt we left our halfback line isolated on opposition puck outs last year especially against Cork. When you mark a faster guy you try to make him slower. Did he administer any "treatment" to lehane?

• Advertisement

You should research my posting history before you make incorrect statements
    I have posted long before yourself In limerick thread and gave many limerick lads any time they asked for information such

I'm strong in my opinion I'm certainly no wum

Browney7 wrote: »
    Just looking at the Limerick team, 5 of the 6 guys in forward positions didn't start last year and Jim Bob midfield so that's a good thing to see as our forward options were limited off the bench last year to just Tobin and Tom Ryan really. I was roaring in the Tipp game with 15 minutes to go but in hindsight who had we to bring in?

I'd like for him to explore more full back line options but at the same time that line is strong so why change it? Half back line needs improvement from last year but I have faith in Gavin O'Mahoney this year as I felt he performed quite well in Croke park and he is a very good player. Anyone know how Stephen Walsh played today and who was he marking? He hasn't played much of a part in recent years but has been kept on the panel nonetheless.

Is Wayne Mac an inter county centre back I'm not sure and every team will target us here. Felt we left our halfback line isolated on opposition puck outs last year especially against Cork. When you mark a faster guy you try to make him slower. Did he administer any "treatment" to lehane?
    Walsh as far as I'm aware marked cadogan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Although I agree with Fireball's concerns over goals I'd have to say that overall I'm not that worried about our forward options; Lynch looks like he's at a level where we could count on him in the starting XV and Morissey isn't too far off.

Taking last years starting forward 6 of O'Grady, Hannon, Breen, Dowling, Downes, Mulcahy; we have Tobin, Lynch and Morissey to supplement that. A few more in the full panel but those 9 players competing for the six forward positions would be more than acceptable.

In 22+ years I can't recall being so spoilt for choice in terms of options in the forwards, yet on the same hand I don't recall ever being so (relatively) weak in the half back line. I think Wayne will still be at number 6, if not I'd put him back to 5. I'd consider moving Paudie O'B up a line to provide competition for Ryan and Browne, he's better suited to midfield I feel.

I dearly hope Quaid will be at least tried in the half back line but I believe the reality is he'll only ever play in goals for Limerick. We badly need competition between 5 and 7. I'm very happy overall with TJ so far, but he needs to use the absence of O'Brien and O'Mahony very wisely during the league, that alone could prove the difference between our season fizzling out in July or making it back to Croke Park.

The same being said for every game Lynch plays. He's quickly going to make it impossible for him to be left out. Hannon a nailed on half forward. Running out of spaces for Dodge, Downes, Breen, Reidy... Dodge may have to move back after all, Downes may have to find his form at corner forward.

I don't think you can leave Lynch out... like Hannon & Dowling before him, once he's in the squad, he has to start.

I wouldn't mind trying a 2-man inside line of either Downes & Dowling or Mulcahy & Dowling, with either Downes at half-forward or Mulcahy as a 3rd midfielder. As of right now, Breen is probably a nailed-on starter at wing-forward but if Downes can get a good run there, then Breen is a possibility at wing-back too.

His brother seems to be going well in the corner, we'll see how he goes in the league this year, flattered to deceive a couple of seasons ago. Moran seems to be doing well, but wides have always been a killer for him. I'm not sure he's great from the bench either... I'd prefer to look to Morrissey & others for now.

It's true... and Tom Ryan isn't really a forward, I'm not sure he's at his best there even though he is well able to score. But that was a failure of the management not to try players during the league at the same time. Even without blooding players, you've got Lynch & Morrissey as newcomers which is a big boost to the squad.

As for the full-back line, it is a strong line but that doesn't mean we can't improve. I think that Condon at times suffered from a lack of real competition and that his standards were below where they had been a year before. Still a warrior of a man, but he can be top class. I like that they're trying him at half-back, Walsh is a corner... it still baffles me why Dempsey & English weren't included and I would like to see Seanie O'Brien and Cathal King given gametime in this line during the league- if Hickey or Richie Mc get injured, what do we do then? Apparently, as ttm said above, Walsh marked Cadogan and did pretty well by all accounts.

It's always the worry with Wayne, I do think he is much stronger on the wing but again, he's not really a man marker, he's best suited for tussles with physical opponents even if he is quicker than Paudie and GOM, he is actually quite a mobile player. It is tough for most players to stop Lehane on form. Dodge is a solid centre-back at intercounty level, but like Quaid, he does lack a bit of pace. Condon could be the other answer, but is he as powerful in the air as you need a centre-back to be?? It is the big question, I like that Dan is getting a lot of time at wing-back though.

Although I agree with Fireball's concerns over goals I'd have to say that overall I'm not that worried about our forward options; Lynch looks like he's at a level where we could count on him in the starting XV and Morissey isn't too far off.

Taking last years starting forward 6 of O'Grady, Hannon, Breen, Dowling, Downes, Mulcahy; we have Tobin, Lynch and Morissey to supplement that. A few more in the full panel but those 9 players competing for the six forward positions would be more than acceptable.

In 22+ years I can't recall being so spoilt for choice in terms of options in the forwards, yet on the same hand I don't recall ever being so (relatively) weak in the half back line. I think Wayne will still be at number 6, if not I'd put him back to 5. I'd consider moving Paudie O'B up a line to provide competition for Ryan and Browne, he's better suited to midfield I feel.

I dearly hope Quaid will be at least tried in the half back line but I believe the reality is he'll only ever play in goals for Limerick. We badly need competition between 5 and 7. I'm very happy overall with TJ so far, but he needs to use the absence of O'Brien and O'Mahony very wisely during the league, that alone could prove the difference between our season fizzling out in July or making it back to Croke Park.

Agree on all that.

We have serious talent in the forwards, could have even more next year and they're mostly young bar Dodge really, with Breen in his late 20s. The future is bright. Not doubting the talent but the ability to go for goals is more of an overall training & mindset thing. Let's hope they can utilise the ability they undoubtedly have and be more ruthless.

And yeah, for as long as I can remember, Limerick have been superb in the half-back line even when we lacked elsewhere- Clarke, Carey, Foley, Moran, Geary, Lawlor, etc. all super players in that area. I do think we have the players there somewhere, it's just about getting them involved in the right positions. As you say, Paudie is really a midfielder and in the current style doesn't really suit wing-back, I think... we need more aerial ability. GOM is a tough one, he can be great in the air but does lack power... he's a wonderful hurler when on form, so let's hope he will be. I'd have tried Hickey, but Condon will do... give him a go, give Quaid a go, give Ryan & Morrissey a chance. Maybe King, but he's not an answer to the aerial ability problems, neither is Allis. Dodge or Breen possibly might be though.

I'd be against moving the likes of Hannon or Lynch back though, keep them up front so they can score.

And we've got a Munster football final tomorrow afternoon out in Knockaderry. It's a big time for the parish, it's not often that we win any sort of county final in any grade, let alone a crack off a Munster final, so let's hope a big performance is put in.

Up against Valentia Island, they absolutely demolished Cratloe in their semi-final and based on that, and the record of Kerry teams in the competition in general, we're probably not favoured. But no one gave us a hope against the Cork champions either, and we came out on top there.

It would be absolutely unbelievable to win. Let's hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Oilean27

Hello Fireball, do you know if the location of this game? Is it Knockaderry near Newcastle West or in the city near Castletroy?

Oilean27 wrote: »
    Hello Fireball, do you know if the location of this game? Is it Knockaderry near Newcastle West or in the city near Castletroy?

Yeah, Knockaderry is near Newcastlewest.

Absolutely gutting loss, a single point... up at half-time, should probably have been more ahead with the wind. Valentia made better use of the wind in the 2nd half, but we got a late goal to pull it back. Had a last minute chance to win it, but the shot went across goal and they held on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Btw I meant ttm in this not other normal posters...

I thought that was well known at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Any word on what time this is to be played on Saturday? Someone suggested it might be an evening game, hoping it is so as I won't be able to make it if it is during the day. I also missed the UCC match, but it was interesting to see some of the positioning, particularly Dodge at centre-back and James Ryan at centre-forward. Given the amount of players fighting for positions in the forwards, I think it's a wise move redirecting O'Grady to defence. With his experience he is well able to read a game and mop up a lot of ball from 6, as well as scoring from distance. He is the best option at the moment to play a certain type of game from that position, similar to Brendan Maher operating there for Tipp early last year. James Ryan, meanwhile, won't start any game at 11, but with a lot of hurlers vying for positions in the front 6 it's no harm to give a workhorse a run at the centre of it as well. An option if the chips are down and we need a change of attack.

Also what's the story on Tom Ryan, is he injured for a few weeks? Would really like to see him given a run at wing-back.

• Advertisement

Any word on what time this is to be played on Saturday? Someone suggested it might be an evening game, hoping it is so as I won't be able to make it if it is during the day. I also missed the UCC match, but it was interesting to see some of the positioning, particularly Dodge at centre-back and James Ryan at centre-forward. Given the amount of players fighting for positions in the forwards, I think it's a wise move redirecting O'Grady to defence. With his experience he is well able to read a game and mop up a lot of ball from 6, as well as scoring from distance. He is the best option at the moment to play a certain type of game from that position, similar to Brendan Maher operating there for Tipp early last year. James Ryan, meanwhile, won't start any game at 11, but with a lot of hurlers vying for positions in the front 6 it's no harm to give a workhorse a run at the centre of it as well. An option if the chips are down and we need a change of attack.

Also what's the story on Tom Ryan, is he injured for a few weeks? Would really like to see him given a run at wing-back.
    I really liked Dodge at 6 in 2012 and never understood why he was moved out of there. He swept up an amount of loose ball and uses it well. Different type of player to wayne though and if he's sweeping about like that we may need more cover from midfield. We have two midfielders that can cover plenty of ground to do that though and more importantly subs to replace them when Browne and Ryan run themselves into the ground. I'm pretty sure he'd much prefer a spot at half back or midfield to wing forward as well.

I really liked Dodge at 6 in 2012 and never understood why he was moved out of there. He swept up an amount of loose ball and

Did he get an injury after that and Wayne Mc went from the wing to the centre and paudie came in to the wing, last years half back line was thrown together in 2013 really owing to that injury...McNamara sounded like he had trouble with Lehane on Saturday...if O'Grady stays at no 6,although would have concerns about his staying power at this stage, and tom condon is being considered as a wb Wayne could have trouble getting a place...would at least introduce an element of competition in the half back line...I like the idea of paudie coming on with 20 mins left with fresh legs, I think he is ideal to pick up long range scores once the game has opened up a bit...

Seven pm in mallow

Ard scoil rivhestowm game in charville

Shame two were not together
    Cork play Wexford cit Saturday so that's why game is evening
    Cork will have strong team Wexford in lot lads college tied lehane Walsh cadogan copper etc play that game

Cork should have strong team but be subs also the team will be same more less as he's played competition

Limerick played cork three times under tj management and they lost three times so he'll be trying break that record
    Should be huge crowd at it mallow great place night game
    If you need directions pitch let me know but most limerick fans aware mallow pitch from ard scoil and played Waterford last pre league challenge game in mallow before ard scoil and hsmmies harty cup semi final last year

I really liked Dodge at 6 in 2012 and never understood why he was moved out of there. He swept up an amount of loose ball and uses it well. I'm sure he'd prefer a half back spot to wing forward too. Only thing is, does he have 70 mins left. He's always had an incredible engine, but after playing brilliantly for 50 mins v kk, giving away that silly free going into the last quarter suggested tiredness to me. You want your 6 to last the full game. Also, he's a real leader and had the capacity to take control and change momentum in games. If he isn't on the field for 70 minutes would it be better to have him coming on for the last 20-25 to steady the ship or drive things on on the home straight. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up because a half forward line made up of of Lynch, Hannon, and Breen/Downes looks likely to me.

Last update said Tom Ryan had a knock and won be out too long. Good chance for him to claim a wing back spot. Might be better for us having him come on at midfield with 15 or 20 mins to go though.

Also, I expect Cork will beat limerick next week and I doubt anyone in the Limerick set up will be too put out about it if they do.

Niall moran has a busy day ard scoil v richestown afternoon then with hurling at seven
    It's handy though charville and mallow are straight line and close together so won't cause difficulties time wise travelling
    What a terrific young coach pure genius tactically shrewd I hope he gets limerick under age job some day
    Attention to detail second none equal to most imo in schools game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Is it true are scoil do cry hard training one early mornings etc

Hoping to go down to Mallow on Saturday, should be a decent game. Hard to know what team Limerick will put out... even putting out a strongest team possible will only have about 6 players who are expected to start in the Championship with all the injuries and other absentees.

It'll be a good tough encounter before the start of the league and I think TJ should mix-and-match again... maybe give Dowling a start and bolster our attack in that way, but maybe change things in the backs a bit, King to corner-back, Condon somewhere in the half-back line. Give Wayne a break maybe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

The WCC is a competition, however insignificant a cup it is think its more meaningful than challenge games, glad that we are getting a few squad players involved at least and it gives more room to experiment in league. Hope to make mallow on saturday.

• Advertisement

Hoping to go down to Mallow on Saturday, should be a decent game. Hard to know what team Limerick will put out... even putting out a strongest team possible will only have about 6 players who are expected to start in the Championship with all the injuries and other absentees.

It'll be a good tough encounter before the start of the league and I think TJ should mix-and-match again... maybe give Dowling a start and bolster our attack in that way, but maybe change things in the backs a bit, King to corner-back, Condon somewhere in the half-back line. Give Wayne a break maybe too.

I'd be leaving pat Begley at full forward, if he goes well in a semi serious game it may be an option available in the league, if he doesn't go well then you know he's unlikely to work later on in the year, least you know where you stand...would be auditioning for corner back and half back aswell, the two you mentioned(pity seanie o brien can't play in this game), no need of playing hickey for this one, have nightmares if him getting injured in heavy ground...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement