Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I see the Limerick leader forgot mention in its match report that ucc actually had finish game with ucc with fourteen men in cadogan went off with an injury scare and all subs were used
    Cadogan will be fine
    The cork reporter at the game said ucc could shared spoils bar being down fourteen men for last bit game

That was strong ucc team the Limerick report was at pains point out but imo look at team while was strong certainly wasn't strongest and likes foran power would start ahead hartnett most days imo

Lehane Burke, o shea, o Donnellan were all taken off with twenty minutes to go or in o shea or Burke case around half time or so
    Bourke Waterford didn't start either

While limerick had no doubt few key lads out up front this certainly was not a great win In imo taking everything in to context and Ucc had trained very hard all week so the current limerick panel imo I'd have concerns real strength in depth as bar breen Morrissey and lynch there seems be lack depth other positions

Cork team will be very similar to last week so won't be many changes but the subs bench should be strong

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Mehapoy wrote: »
    I'd be leaving pat Begley at full forward, if he goes well in a semi serious game it may be an option available in the league, if he doesn't go well then you know he's unlikely to work later on in the year, least you know where you stand...would be auditioning for corner back and half back aswell, the two you mentioned(pity seanie o brien can't play in this game), no need of playing hickey key for this one, have nightmares if him getting injured in heavy ground...
    Hickey is our single best player IMO. Another injury would be a nightmare. Can't keep him wrapped in cotton wool unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd be leaving pat Begley at full forward, if he goes well in a semi serious game it may be an option available in the league, if he doesn't go well then you know he's unlikely to work later on in the year, least you know where you stand...would be auditioning for corner back and half back aswell, the two you mentioned(pity seanie o brien can't play in this game), no need of playing hickey for this one, have nightmares if him getting injured in heavy ground...

I don't have a problem with keeping Begley in there, even if I do have doubts about whether he's at the required standard... it seems that he has been a handful for backlines. But I'd play Dowling too, we know what he can do at full-forward, stick him in the corner or on the wing just to give him a run before the league and for his free-taking. Tommy O'Brien was pulled early the last day.

It is a pity that Seanie O'Brien can't play, I find it interesting that Dan Morrissey elected to play with Limerick rather than UL and he's got a lot of gametime as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with keeping Begley in there, even if I do have doubts about whether he's at the required standard... it seems that he has been a handful for backlines. But I'd play Dowling too, we know what he can do at full-forward, stick him in the corner or on the wing just to give him a run before the league and for his free-taking. Tommy O'Brien was pulled early the last day.

It is a pity that Seanie O'Brien can't play, I find it interesting that Dan Morrissey elected to play with Limerick rather than UL and he's got a lot of gametime as a result.
    valuable

Obviously with the size of the available panel options are limited but hopefully management will continue to try out a few of the newer panel members without forgetting to keep the established lads tuned in. Result on Saturday is irrelevant but it definitely can be a valuable learning experience before the league starts. The extra few games in the WCC are exactly what the team needed. Already this year Limerick have given game time to more players than in the full year in 2014.
    Mehapoy I have decided to take your wise advice.

Ard scoil v rochestown 2.30 Saturday charville

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Some have criticised the inclusion of Niall Moran in the squad.

I've been told that this is indeed a panel for the league and that changes may occur in between the league and the Clare game, and again in the middle of June; they're keeping tabs on a few players who will be doing their Leaving Cert in June, those players have been given fitness/weights programs between now and June and have been excused from collective training so as to not impact their studies.

Must stress however; I was not told changes will definitely occur, more so that they are keeping their options open.

Moran is included for a number of reasons; firstly, a lot of the players want him there, he is popular with some of the younger players, particularly some of those who enjoyed success with him in the Harty Cup.

You may rightfully point out that the players shouldn't have a say in who is selected on the panel, however that is not the case. Management feel that he still has something to offer, both in terms if a leadership role and in terms of his form.

He has impressed in his efforts in training despite no longer being a starter, and he is respected by the players. As for his form, he was as good as he has ever been for Ahane last year, and his performance against Adare where he basically bossed Wayne McNamara for the game gave support to the notion that he is one of the best 30 players we have.

Whatever you say about Wayne McNamara, he has been an absolute colossus for Adare in the last 7/8 years, not many have gotten the better of him at club level.

I suppose we don't get to see what goes on behind closed doors, in the dressing room, and in the gyms and on the training fields, but Moran's inclusion is largely due to his overall contribution. Which would suggest that perhaps his presence would be more beneficial in a coaching capacity, but the man I was talking to said something to the effect of "We know what he can do and we know he can still do it", so I guess that means they still have faith in his ability.

Moran has always been somewhat enigmatic, capable of hitting an excellent score one minute only to follow it up with a shocking wide the next. His days are numbered as an inter county player but for the immediate time being he's worth having on the panel, although if the likes of Ronan Lynch and Andrew LTC (and a few others) do become available later on in the year I'd like to think that unless Moran has managed to work his way into the matchday 20 that he'd be one of the ones who are moved on from the panel. If you're a 32 year old and you're not involved in the first 20 then it really is the time to part ways.

Whatever about Moran, hopefully it is the case that the management team are indeed keeping their options open on the panel as the year progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Hopefully its more than just the 4 young fellas there keeping tabs on?

I would hope so but what I heard was that those cut were fairly definitively cut. Outside of the four young guys mentioned it would seem form would want to be fairly outstanding in other competitions to demand being brought back in. Even then, what are the odds of convincing management to consider starting you even if you can work back into the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

I would hope so but what I heard was that those cut were fairly definitively cut. Outside of the four young guys mentioned it would seem form would want to be fairly outstanding in other competitions to demand being brought back in. Even then, what are the odds of convincing management to consider starting you even if you can work back into the panel.
    With the way inter county is gone with fitness and conditioning though they'd want to be outstanding to force their way onto the team half way through the season, it would be a tough ask for anyone to come up to speed like that, I can't see anyone coming like that from outside the panel, maybe Ronan lynch might have a part to play, even then only as an option off the bench not a starter...

With the way inter county is gone with fitness and conditioning though they'd want to be outstanding to force their way onto the team half way through the season, it would be a tough ask for anyone to come up to speed like that, I can't see anyone coming like that from outside the panel, maybe Ronan lynch might have a part to play, even then only as an option off the bench not a starter...

I do think the four lads mentioned doing the leaving could be brought in and may even have potential to be used in the match day squads. I'm not optimistic about the chances of those cut from the panel earlier on though, much as I think two at least of those let go should be involved and considered to start.

• Advertisement

The likes of Dempsey, Carmody, McNamara and those who should be involved with the 21s like English, O'Connell and Byrnese for example are ones that you'd think they'd be keeping tabs on.

But I too find it hard to see them breaking in midway through the year. The league is really the chance to make a breakthrough... all the players who are involved now have a strong advantage over others.

I remember Darragh O'Donovan was doing some serious scoring last season and wasn't brought in... although Paudie O'Brien was brought in halfway through as a result of his club form, but that was under John Allen.

Any other season ticket holders here?

No idea, I don't like to ask this guy too many questions about the set up as we'd have more of a professional relationship than a personal or sporting one. Only names he mentioned were Lynch and Cosgrave, he implied there was more.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Cork team named.
    Get ready for trolling post. It is being composed as I write.

So they line up:
    Collins
    W. Kearney Cahalane O'Donoghue
    B. O'Sullivan O'Loughlin O'Connor
    Haughney Walsh
    Murray C. McCarthy Lawton
    Moylan O'Farrell D. McCarthy

Decent experimental side, none of their really big guns are available... no Anthony Nash, Shane O'Neill, Aidan Walsh, Daniel Kearney, Conor Lehane, Seamus Harnedy, Alan Cadogan although they do have Horgan, Pebbles, Joyce, Conor O'Sullivan and Ellis is reserve.

I'd expect us to reply with a similar team, not that we have much choice. For this one, considering what they've gone with, I'd like to see:
    Quaid
    King McCarthy Walsh
    Condon Dodge Morrissey
    Browne Jim-Bob
    Moran Morrissey Lynch
    Dowling Begley Breen

Not that we are able to make many changes, I'd give Condon a run on the wing, gave Wayne a break and let Dowling have a run. King at corner-back instead of Hickey too, and restore Jim-Bob to midfield in place of Allis (although I wouldn't mind pairing Allis with 1 of the above either).

If Tom Ryan & Fitzgibbon are fit, I'd give them both a game, Ryan at wing-back, moving Condon to centre-back and Fitzgibbon at wing-forward in place of Moran. I want to see Morrissey at centre-forward, I'd like to see him take on McLoughlin.

The footballers kick off their league campaign this weekend, and it's not good news for them really. We've been on a downward spiral the last few years, and now, in addition, we've lost John Galvin, Ger Collins, Boris Hanrahan and James O'Meara while Mark O'Riordan and Pa Ranahan haven't committed to the panel. Also no Bobby O'Brien, Stephen Kelly, Derry O'Connor, Seamus O'Carroll, Eoghan O'Connor, Derry McCarthy who weren't available last year either, and obviously no Jim-Bob because he's with the hurlers. Paudie Aherne has joined up with the football panel, so there's some good news. I thought Danny Frewen might be added after some good form by Ballylanders as they won the County Championship.... but you also look at other players we've lost in recent years- Stephen Lavin, Jim O'Donovan; even the likes of Lorcan O'Dwyer, Andy Lane, Eoghan Barry, Damien Quaid, John Cooke... it must be disheartening for the players who are left.

2015 LIMERICK SENIOR FOOTBALL PANEL: Paudie Aherne (Kilteely-Dromkeen), Denis Aherne (Kilteely-Dromkeen), Sean Barrett (Bruff), Michael Brosnan (Dromcollogher-Broadford), Paudie Browne (Fr Casey’s), Robert Browne (Fr Casey’s), Seanie Buckley (Dromcollogher-Broadford), Thomas Butler (Feohanagh-Castlemahon), Iain Corbett (Newcastle West), Stephen Cahill (Mountcollins), Daniel Daly (Fr Casey’s), Cillian Fahey (Dromcollogher-Broadford), Gearoid Hegarty (St Patrick’s), Jamie Lee (Newcastle West), Thomas Lee (Ballylanders), Stephen Lucey (Croom), Mike Lyons (Adare), Johnny McCarthy (St Kieran’s), Tony McCarthy (Kildimo-Pallaskenry), Colm Moran (Monaleen), Pakie Moran (Ballysteen), Jason Mullins (St Patrick’s), John Mullane (St Patrick’s), Peter Nash (Kildimo-Pallaskenry), James Naughton (St Senan’s), Danny Neville (Ballysteen), Garrett Noonan (Dromcollogher-Broadford), Sean O’Dea (Kilteely-Dromkeen), Denis O’Dea (Kilteely-Dromkeen), William O’Donoghue (Na Piarsaigh), James O’Meara (Fr Casey’s), John Riordan (Fr Casey’s), Donal O’Sullivan (Monaleen), Killian Phair (Dromcollogher-Broadford), Ian Ryan (St Senan’s), Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffins), Cian Sheehan (Newcastle West), Chris Smyth (Fr Casey’s), Darragh Treacy (St Kieran’s), David Ward (Fr Casey’s)

I thought Darragh Treacy had left the panel, but he's named there. We've still got the experience of Johnny McCarthy, Paudie Browne, Seanie Buckley, Tom Lee and Stephen Lucey but Lucey, along with Ian Ryan and John Mullane are injured, which is a massive loss. Hegarty, Riordan, Treacy and O'Dea are good players but I think this panel has taken too much of a hammering... and with some of the best players in the county, who are still in their mid-20s, not committing, I think we're going down sadly :(:(:(

Possible team for Sligo:
    O'Sullivan
    O'Dea McCarthy Moran
    Riordan
    Corbett Browne Fahey
    Treacy Lee
    Sheehan Hegarty Buckley
    Neville Naughton

I just dream of being able to put out a team like:
    O'Sullivan
    O'Riordan McCarthy O'Dea
    Riordan
    Browne Lucey Ranahan
    Galvin Buckley
    Ryan Hanrahan Kelly
    O'Connor Ryan

Being able to bring on O'Dwyer, Corbett, O'Brien, Hegarty, O'Carroll, Collins

Sad days :(

So they line up:
    Collins
    Haughney Walsh

Decent experimental side, none of their really big guns are available... no Anthony Nash, Shane O'Neill, Aidan Walsh, Daniel Kearney, Conor Lehane, Seamus Harnedy, Alan Cadogan although they do have Horgan, Pebbles, Joyce, Conor O'Sullivan and Ellis is reserve.

I'd expect us to reply with a similar team, not that we have much choice. For this one, considering what they've gone with, I'd like to see:
    Quaid
    King McCarthy Walsh
    Condon Dodge Morrissey
    Browne Jim-Bob
    Moran Morrissey Lynch
    Dowling Begley Breen

Not that we are able to make many changes, I'd give Condon a run on the wing, gave Wayne a break and let Dowling have a run. King at corner-back instead of Hickey too, and restore Jim-Bob to midfield in place of Allis (although I wouldn't mind pairing Allis with 1 of the above either).

If Tom Ryan & Fitzgibbon are fit, I'd give them both a game, Ryan at wing-back, moving Condon to centre-back and Fitzgibbon at wing-forward in place of Moran. I want to see Morrissey at centre-forward, I'd like to see him take on McLoughlin.

Yes I would like similar to that, I'd like to see King also in the corner as can't see him being midfield come the summer, were down full backs and I'd sooner see how he goes in the corner as a hickey like alternative, I'd leave Allis at midfield and give Browne and Jim Bob a half each...I'd try Dowling at cf and give him a run around...would leave Morrissey as an impact sub for the moment as that is how he should be used this year imo,
    big day for limerick with the two Harty semis aswell, would be happy with good showings in those and maybe get 1 win, probably ard scoil if anyone...

So they line up:
    Collins
    Haughney Walsh

Quaid
    King McCarthy Walsh
    Condon Dodge Morrissey
    Browne Jim-Bob
    Moran Morrissey Lynch
    Dowling Begley Breen

Good team bar few places and it starts will beat starting cork team imo but the likes Ellis Joyce Sullivan cronin harnedy etc offer huge depth off panel

That full forward line will cause cork problems in the two corner forward will have too much pace for cork and Dowling will cause huge problems

Cork have out Cahalane in on him and he's huge ask hold him

Kearney breen should win

Begley is just club hurler and donoughge and Cahalane either will hold him

The half back line would clean cork out

Condon would have handle lawton

Cian and dodge cxcl each other out

Morrissey should have measures Murray who club hurler but not cemetebe regular ucc play and often taken off and even at cork under age before

Been extended panel past never made cut

That midfield would imo I fear hugely

James Ryan would with brown have too much aggression for haughney and browne possible too much hurling for Walsh Killeagh

Morrissey will cause lorchan tough day but Lorchan won't be easy fodder either and I'd say could break even
    Morrissey outstanding hurler

Moran on Sullivan should work cork favour or more so if I'm o Connor as o Connor won't let him get ball and won't be exposed pace

Lynch could cause either cork wing men problems with pace and strong running

Cork full forward line

Luke will be different tear for riche and will be elusive and fast turn once ball head high hr can win he's own ball
    He won't get anything soft of Mccarthy now best full back imo the game

Luke renewed hunger so he'll be up for it so this could be great battle

Moylan on Walsh

Walsh fine corner back but moylan good great worker but tends drift in out game so Walsh great test

Mccarthy cork sub goalie lovely touch but imo not elite forward but king should be able hold him
    Mccarthy plays half forward club
    He was poor v clare goof v cit but opponent was not great

Limerick if team you picked starts have stronger team but cork better depth bench wise but jbm I think won't empty bench earlier as he wanted lads get games so he give imo them time
    I wouldn't in if playing poor game make changes fast

When limerick team named?

Good team bar few places and it starts will beat starting cork team imo but the likes Ellis Joyce Sullivan cronin harnedy etc offer huge depth off panel

That full forward line will cause cork problems in the two corner forward will have too much pace for cork and Dowling will cause huge problems

Cork have out Cahalane in on him and he's huge ask hold him

Kearney breen should win

Begley is just club hurler and donoughge and Cahalane either will hold him

The half back line would clean cork out

Condon would have handle lawton

Cian and dodge cxcl each other out

Morrissey should have measures Murray who club hurler but not cemetebe regular ucc play and often taken off and even at cork under age before

Been extended panel past never made cut

That midfield would imo I fear hugely

James Ryan would with brown have too much aggression for haughney and browne possible too much hurling for Walsh Killeagh

Morrissey will cause lorchan tough day but Lorchan won't be easy fodder either and I'd say could break even
    Morrissey outstanding hurler

Moran on Sullivan should work cork favour or more so if I'm o Connor as o Connor won't let him get ball and won't be exposed pace

Lynch could cause either cork wing men problems with pace and strong running

Cork full forward line

Luke will be different tear for riche and will be elusive and fast turn once ball head high hr can win he's own ball
    He won't get anything soft of Mccarthy now best full back imo the game

Luke renewed hunger so he'll be up for it so this could be great battle

Moylan on Walsh

Walsh fine corner back but moylan good great worker but tends drift in out game so Walsh great test

Mccarthy cork sub goalie lovely touch but imo not elite forward but king should be able hold him
    Mccarthy plays half forward club
    He was poor v clare goof v cit but opponent was not great

Limerick if team you picked starts have stronger team but cork better depth bench wise but jbm I think won't empty bench earlier as he wanted lads get games so he give imo them time
    I wouldn't in if playing poor game make changes fast

When limerick team named?

Yeah, we won't have much of a bench at all, it's still a reasonably strong experimental team with the likes of Murphy, O'Brien, O'Mahony, Ryan, Breen, Downes, Hannon, Tobin, Mulcahy to come back, with only Hickey & Wayne on the bench of any real experience.

But as said above, we might pair Allis with one of the midfielders and give Jim-Bob and Browne a half each, that actually sounds like a good plan. I'm not sure that King will start at corner-back, or Morrissey at centre-forward... but it's hard to know.

The teams haven't been named in advance previously, they've only been released on the day of the game so I'm expecting the same.

Kevin O'Brien scored 2 goals for UL today... he's always been a good goalscorer, would love to see him added to the panel for the league tbh. I'd argue that he's the best of the 3 brothers.

6 Limerick players playing for LIT as they beat UUJ, after a first-half scare. Murphy & Seanie O'Brien are the ones on the Limerick panel, Alan Dempsey is their captain, Barry O'Connell is their centre-back once again with Michael Kiely and Dave Dempsey at corner-back & corner-forward respectively.

• Advertisement

Yeah, we won't have much of a bench at all, it's still a reasonably strong experimental team with the likes of Murphy, O'Brien, O'Mahony, Ryan, Breen, Downes, Hannon, Tobin, Mulcahy to come back, with only Hickey & Wayne on the bench of any real experience.

But as said above, we might pair Allis with one of the midfielders and give Jim-Bob and Browne a half each, that actually sounds like a good plan. I'm not sure that King will start at corner-back, or Morrissey at centre-forward... but it's hard to know.

The teams haven't been named in advance previously, they've only been released on the day of the game so I'm expecting the same.
    Thanks Fireball

Yeah cork have strong subs bench if needed

The football game I'd give ye good chance in moved kilmmallock
    I think brudair good coach
    Mad trying to get ned English join coach up Xmas but English is two cork teams duhallow and clyda

Kevin O'Brien scored 2 goals for UL today... he's always been a good goalscorer, would love to see him added to the panel for the league tbh. I'd argue that he's the best of the 3 brothers.

6 Limerick players playing for LIT as they beat UUJ, after a first-half scare. Murphy & Seanie O'Brien are the ones on the Limerick panel, Alan Dempsey is their captain, Barry O'Connell is their centre-back once again with Michael Kiely and Dave Dempsey at corner-back & corner-forward respectively.

Anyone at LIT game? What age is Barry o'Connell, is he u21 this year? he seems to have been around forever, played u21 at minor, seems to be holding his own at fitzgibbon at centre back, would like to see him progress aswell, shame the colleges are going full on when these guys could be getting chances in the wc...
    Footballers on this weekend too, no ger Collins it seems, or mark o riordan, for the year and no hanrahan or Ian Ryan this weekend, will be doing well to stay in div 3, hard to see who they'll beat, Sligo probably their best chance of getting points...

Anyone at LIT game? What age is Barry o'Connell, is he u21 this year? he seems to have been around forever, played u21 at minor, seems to be holding his own at fitzgibbon at centre back, would like to see him progress aswell, shame the colleges are going full on when these guys could be getting chances in the wc...
    Footballers on this weekend too, no ger Collins it seems, or mark o riordan, for the year and no hanrahan or Ian Ryan this weekend, will be doing well to stay in div 3, hard to see who they'll beat, Sligo probably their best chance of getting points...
    He should be eligible as was minor under twenty I'n 2012 and made limerick extended under twenty one panel that year so this be three years later I'd think he may be eligible

Yeah, this is his last year U-21... and will be his 5th year on the U-21 panel. But injuries have cost him, he missed the game against Clare last year and I reckon they've disrupted his progress in general.

He was on the Limerick panel for the challenge games earlier in the year, but didn't make the final cut (in fact, very few players who played in those games did), he was also on the extended panel in 2013.

Good displays at Fitzgibbon and U-21 level this year, without any injuries, might put him into the frame for next season. Should have another year at Fitzgibbon next year too.

Yeah, this is his last year U-21... and will be his 5th year on the U-21 panel. But injuries have cost him, he missed the game against Clare last year and I reckon they've disrupted his progress in general.

He was on the Limerick panel for the challenge games earlier in the year, but didn't make the final cut (in fact, very few players who played in those games did), he was also on the extended panel in 2013.

Good displays at Fitzgibbon and U-21 level this year, without any injuries, might put him into the frame for next season. Should have another year at Fitzgibbon next year too.

5 years at u21? Wow. Hopefully an injury free season or two will see him deliver on that promise.

Five years some achievement

Patrick Collins cork senior keeper tomorrow like wise

Minor past two years and starting under twenty team

Three more years left under twenty one
    If club was intermediate walk on team also
    Just watch he's movement even when off ball unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 7 West_Forward

O connell played v cork in 2011 21s game. Came on as a blood sub and started extra time too. He'll be added to squad once fitz finished, along with dempsey and kob.

O connell played v cork in 2011 21s game. Came on as a blood sub and started extra time too. He'll be added to squad once fitz finished, along with dempsey and kob.

For definite? That'd be great news.

Football team announced for Sunday:

1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffin’s)
    2. Sean O’Dea (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
    3. Johnny McCarthy ( St.Kieran’s)
    4. Robert Browne (Fr. Casey’s)
    5. Iain Corbett (Newcastlewest)
    6. Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey’s)
    7. Cillian Fahy (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    8. Tom Lee (Ballylanders)
    9. Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick’s)
    10. Darragh Treacy (St. Kieran’s)
    11. Danny Neville (Ballysteen)
    12. Seanie Buckley (Dromcollogher/Broadford) (Captain)
    13. Mickey Lyons (Adare)
    14. Cian Sheehan (Newcastlewest)
    15. Killian Phair (Dromcollogher/Broadford)

I got 11/15 of the starting team predicted right, which isn't bad for the opening game of the year. Scanlon got the nod over O'Sullivan, probably should have seen that coming. Both are decent enough, I slightly prefer O'Sullivan but Scanlon has been a good servant.

No John Riordan, now maybe he's injured, but he was definitely under-used last year, I think he's a super player, one of our best but was always used as a sub in a weak team. His engine is superb. No James Naughton either, I thought his free-taking might get him in... Killian Phair is a good player and he starts, don't know much about Lyons but he starts in the corner too. Robert Browne of Fr. Casey's starts ahead of Colm Moran at corner-back.

It's an okay team, but it could be so much stronger had we everybody available. This is probably our easiest fixture and is an absolute must-win... I just thank God that we have the likes of Johnny Mac & Seanie Buckley still around. I was just thinking that there are no Rathkeale plays in the squad either- Whyte, Sheahan, Hartnett as well as O'Connor. No Mike Fitzgibbon either, who was good last year.

And how can there only be one Ballylanders player when they are county champions? Just 2 from Monaleen, who should be providing more... Drom had only 1 for years, they now have 5; St. Pat's have 3 after getting to a county final, but obviously would have more if Boris was available. Obviously playing for a senior club doesn't automatically mean you're better, but you'd expect them to be providing more players in an already-weakened squad.

Hopefully they can do the business at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Castletroy lost by a point in the Harty to Thurles, very disappointing for them, but great fighting considering the circumstances.

They were losing 0-3 to 0-2 after 20 minutes when they got a man sent off. They were then down by 6 points at the break, but they then restricted Thurles to just 3 points in the 2nd half, scoring 9 themselves, losing by a point.

It would have been an even better comeback if they managed to snatch that one, playing with 14 men for the majority of the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement