Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

grenache wrote: »
    I would be inclined to disagree with you there. While i'm not a huge fan of Lucey, and his inclination to do silly things on the ball, there's no doubt that he is the best option at full back. He's certainly capable of stopping Dublin's No 14 Paul Ryan from fielding the ball. Lucey is strong and difficult to knock off the ball. Why Seamus Hickey is still full back i'm not sure, Lucey should be nearing full fitness at this stage. Hickey's love for wandering up the field on these foraging runs is seriously worrying me. Like others have said, he's a great hurler but certainly not a full back, he's not capable of spoiling like Lucey can and prefers to hurl clean ball.

Dublin seem to be well able to field ball, with Keaney, Rushe and McCrabbe particularly good under a high ball. So i think O'Grady will tell his team to batt the ball down and make sure they compete well for the breaking ball. This is the only way of stemming Dublin's aerial threat. We won around 70% of the breaks against Wexford, guys like James Ryan and Paul Browne mopped up a fierce amount of ball.

I must admit to really liking the game O'Grady has them playing at the moment. Unlike previous managers there now actually seems to be on-field plan in place!! Yes Downes certainly needs more direct ball, but i feel we are starting to do this short-passing game justice, it's very hard for the opposition to counteract this tactic as there is always a spare man running off the shoulder. We've been hitting long balls into big full forwards for the last 38 years and what have we to show for it! Downes is well capable of fielding low as well as high ball, his first time control is second to none, so i believe we need to mix it up a bit. Instead of just bombarding him with high balls, giving Peter Kelly a chance to challenge him, lets work the ball up the field and throw him in a nice low ball - if you look at his two goals against Waterford, both came from accurate low balls.

I don't know, I think Lucey is a bit slow. Maybe against Dublin he'd be suited, but I couldn't imagine him being able to hold Lar Corbett. I think Lucey is past his best.

Yeah we have a lot of workhorses who are good to win breaking ball. And hopefully they can do it against Dublin. The batting down thing could work...I just hope they don't bat it down when they are unmarked which they tried a few times against Waterford.

Oh I definitely agree it doesn't have to be all high balls. A low ball could be better because Downes is very fast, very strong, able to turn both ways and has a great first touch. He really is a very complete forward and it would be a shame not to utilise him fully. Diagonal balls from the midfield/wing-backs that bounce in front of him as he runs are definitely the way to go as it opens up defences. And if Mulcahy and Tobin are making runs, then they can open up the gaps or Downes can do something himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

A good win tonight for our footballers to make it onto the last 12 of the all Ireland series to meet Wexford next Saturday night.

We had a good start to the game and worked some good scores albeit a little laboured at times. There were opportunities for some guys to shoot but gave it to a colleague in a better position. We went into a good lead in the first half but then seemed to take the foot off the pedal. 9 7 ahead at half time with the advantage of a good wind I thought we could kick on and put up a good score. Has anyone seen a ref change his mind about a penalty before. He went into the umpires after awarding a penalty and then threw the ball in on the 21. Thought it was strange.

Fair play to Waterford they started well in the second half and brought it back level and I thought we'd have a right battle on our hands. Even if Hurney wasn't sent off I thought we'd still have won but he looked to be some headcase. Arguing with his own man in the first half about who would take the line ball (He did kick it off the post though in fairness) and then you could see Tom Lee trying to wind him up with a bit of one handed shoving and he snapped and threw a punch into the kidneys. Linesman and 2 umpires spotted it.

I thought Seanie Buckley was by far our best man tonight. Did a lot of running and thought he looked comfortable on the ball and just played well all round. Lavin carried some good ball but his decision making at times was poor.

I hope Tommy Stack's injury isn't too bad. He'd be a loss against Wexford. Was good to see Jim Donovan named in the squad tonight. He might play a part the next day. It's great for football in Limerick to be still involved in the last 12 of the championship for the last 3 years now. If we can make a breakthrough and beat Wexford I'd be delighted. Hard to see it happening but I live in hope along with the 2385 supporters there tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fairplay to ye tonight. Sounds like ye deserved the to win and after what happened in the hurling it would be hard to begrudge ye. According to RTE it was the right decision to revoke the penalty but it was harsh all the same to award it and then take it back. Wasn't at the game but at least we put in a good fight. Maybe the guys will get some respect from the press and the like (bookies had them as 3/1 outsiders) but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

Twas a very poor game tonight, and one cannot deny that it was easy to see that these were two division 4 teams in waiting.... Great to get the win of course, but the journey should be ending the next day out....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Has a venue been fixed for the Limerick V Wexford game?

• Advertisement

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    Has a venue been fixed for the Limerick V Wexford game?

Ive a feeling they might have a double header in portlaoise with limerick wexford and down v cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Will someone post up here when they know the date and time of next weekends match?

Delighted with the win yesterday. Seanie Buckley and Stephen Kelly were stand out for me.Was heartening to see that we don't have to rely on Ian and Ger to score the points.

Oh and what has Stephen Lavin done to his hair??!!

From RTE

The times and venues for next Saturday's All-Ireland Round 3/4 Football Qualifiers have been announced.

Croke Park will stage a Round 4 double header, with Kildare v Derry getting proceedings underway at 4.00pm. That will be followed by a repeat of last year's All-Ireland Final as Cork take on Down at 6.00pm.

Limerick will take on Wexford in Portlaoise at 7.00pm.

The remaining Round 3 tie is fixed for Omagh, with Tyrone meeting old rivals Armagh at 7.00pm.

It was a good win. It's nice to see Stephen Kelly scoring so much from play. He's always been a brilliant player, but used to waste chances. And Seamus O'Carroll is a very good addition to the forward line too.

We'll be written off against Wexford but we have a chance. Pity it's not on at the same venue as the hurling match.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It was a good win. It's nice to see Stephen Kelly scoring so much from play. He's always been a brilliant player, but used to waste chances. And Seamus O'Carroll is a very good addition to the forward line too.

We'll be written off against Wexford but we have a chance. Pity it's not on at the same venue as the hurling match.

Are you mad Fireball? Sure that would have made sense and there's no room for that in the GAA don't you know.:rolleyes:

We have a chance alright and I'll be there with the other few loyal fans our footballers have but I'm not too hopeful. Our backs will need to have the game of their lives and we will need a few goals I'd say. Still there's always hope.

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »
    Still there's always hope.

Exactly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

brilliant win tonight in portlaoise, tough luck on wexford but they had their chances. without a doubt it was the game of the year, and i said that with 5 mins to go when we were virtually dead and buried. what a comeback with 14 men.
    Spillane and co. will be devasted that we're still in there.
    in fairness, this bunch have got more kicks in the teeth in the last few years than any other county and deserved their win. delighted.

washman3 wrote: »
    brilliant win tonight in portlaoise, tough luck on wexford but they had their chances. without a doubt it was the game of the year, and i said that with 5 mins to go when we were virtually dead and buried. what a comeback with 14 men.
    in fairness, this bunch have got more kicks in the teeth in the last few years than any other county and deserved their win. delighted.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly!!!! It was amazing. If the hurlers fight with the same spirit, I think we have a real chance.

But that fighting spirit is great to see.

I couldn't see us winning but by god do these players have heart and pride. Kicked in the nuts by defeats to Kerry and cork last year and just so unlucky against cork and Meath the year before and yet they can still come back. They are a credit to the Limerick shirt and I've always been so proud. I still can't believe they did it. 1 to 26 heroes all.

Ranahan keeping brosnan without a sniff. Stack commentating with live 95 2 years ago and now out of retirement. John galvin carrying water. Riordan was excellent tonight I thought. Stevie Kelly with a few huge scores. Ian Ryan with a great performance. They deserve so much more credit than they get. Everytime they step out onto the field they play against 120 years of history as well as half their own county. I still can't believe they did it. There was some Craic back west tonight I'd say. I'd say i congratulated every player tonight. Brilliant. Come on you boys in green!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ok, so Kerry isn't ideal but sometimes it's better the devil you know.

What's the story with the hurlers now?We could really do with Lucey on Donaghy. Is Tommy Lee out for this match as well?

panda100 wrote: »
    Ok, so Kerry isn't ideal but sometimes it's better the devil you know.

What's the story with the hurlers now?We could really do with Lucey on Donaghy. Is Tommy Lee out for this match as well?

Maurice Horan did announce that Lucey and O'Riordan wouldn't play for the footballers again this season. So, unlikely, but you never know.

And Tom Lee will be out unless he gets a successful appeal. But if he did hit him, then he can't really.

And Kerry is probably the worst draw since they are very good and already smashed us. But maybe if we actually mark them this time, instead of standing 10 metres away, we might have a chance.

It's still a quarter final and I'm going to enjoy it!

Riordan and Lucey should be asked back straight away, nobody would have a problem with it. its a 1/4 final and we need everyone,especially now that Lee looks certain to miss the game.
    and just my opinion, James Ryan should be asked back as well.
    These guys always gave their all when they played, just there was massive pressure put on them to make a choice. No point in saying this time next Sunday, what if???

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Riordan and Lucey should be asked back straight away, nobody would have a problem with it. its a 1/4 final and we need everyone,especially now that Lee looks certain to miss the game.
    and just my opinion, James Ryan should be asked back as well.
    These guys always gave their all when they played, just there was massive pressure put on them to make a choice. No point in saying this time next Sunday, what if???

In one way I agree with you - we should have our best players in Croke park next week but on the other side it's hardly fair on the players who lose out. these are the guys who have been training with the footballers all year long while the other lads have been concentrating with the hurlers. If they did play next weekend and then next year they will just pick the hurlers again over the footballers. Hardly fair. They made their choice.

tommy249 wrote: »
    In one way I agree with you - we should have our best players in Croke park next week but on the other side it's hardly fair on the players who lose out. these are the guys who have been training with the footballers all year long while the other lads have been concentrating with the hurlers. If they did play next weekend and then next year they will just pick the hurlers again over the footballers. Hardly fair. They made their choice.

Ya, can see your point too,and this will be the arguement. in fairness these lads never left us down and time and again played both codes on consecutive days during the league. can anyone remember when Razor last missed a football game before this year,i would say unbroken service since U-21s. And both guys have played big games while carrying injuries.
    We must remember that Razor played 7 weeks ago V Kerry and Lucey was a sub but injured.
    After today, i think both guys hurling days are over TBH, no game for Razor and just a few mins as a token gesture for Lucey. i would say they both have 2-3yrs intercounty football left.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    . But maybe if we actually mark them this time, instead of standing 10 metres away, we might have a chance.!

Oh how right you are!!!!

• Advertisement

Posted in the Wexford replay thread but will throw it here aswell
    http://examiner.ie/sport/gaa/football/lavin-lets-rip-at-critics-162056.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

No idea if this chap looks at boards.ie or posts here, but a big thanks from four grateful Waterford supporters to a very kind Limerick gentleman who was leaving after the Dublin match yesterday and pointed us to his seats at the front of section 204 after we ended up in the Siberia that is 212!

Very grateful indeed - thanks for your kindness! Made our day, as did the result! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

i presume a few Limerick supporters will head into Ennis tommorow evening for the u21 game? it really should be a good one and i expect a real high scoring game with the forwards that will be on show.
    There is no Honan for us but iv heard that Shane Dowling is also injured for yee. Any truth in that?

Not sure Gent to be honest. It has the makings of a great game. Does Tony Kelly play on the 21's. He's a serious hurler. I'm not sure about Dowling. Hopefully Hannon has recovered a bit from the weekend exertions. He was our best player really along with Condon.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Not sure Gent to be honest. It has the makings of a great game. Does Tony Kelly play on the 21's. He's a serious hurler. I'm not sure about Dowling. Hopefully Hannon has recovered a bit from the weekend exertions. He was our best player really along with Condon.

Ya Tony is down to play wing forward. i have Clare team posted in Clare gaa thread. Hopefully Hannon has recovered a bit but not too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Has the limerick team been named yet?

No sign of it on an fear rua

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Limerick U21 Hurling Team v Clare 26.7.11

1. Aaron Murphy Hospital/Herbertstown
    2. Cian Hayes Kildimo
    3. Patrick Begley Mungret
    4. Steve O'Reilly Ballybrown
    5. Cathal McNamara Doon
    6. James O'Brien Na Piarsaigh
    7. Thomas O'Callaghan Monagea
    8. Conor Allis Croom
    9. Sean O'Brien Patrickswell
    10. Declan Hannon Adare
    11. Niall Kennedy Granagh/Ballingarry
    12. Shane Dowling Na Piarsaigh
    13. Michael Ryan Murroe/Boher
    14. Kevin Downes - Capt. Na Piarsaigh
    15. Graeme Mulcahy Kilmallock

16. Owen Webb-O'Rourke Kilmallock
    17. Brian Cleary Knockainey
    18. Alan Dempsey Na Piarsaigh
    19. Kevin O'Donnell Kilmallock
    20. Pat Gleeson Na Piarsaigh
    21. Timmy Fleming Feohanagh/Castlemahon
    22. Sean Madden Ahane
    23. William Griffin Adare
    24. Mark Carmody Patrickswell

Looks like serious forward line there

1 10 to 6 down here in ennis. Both defences have done well and Clare recovered from an early limerick goal. Limerick finished half strongly.

Hannon threat has been nullified a bit. Clare not really utilizing their forwards.

The result i expected unfortunetly but not the margin. Congrats to Limerick. Were the much better team. Picked up most of the breaks and used the ball very well while our distribution was very poor.

Hannon looked knackered and wasnt in the game much but Dowling was very good but it says a lot when our best player was 17 years of age.

• Advertisement

The result i expected unfortunetly but not the margin. Congrats to Limerick. Were the much better team. Picked up most of the breaks and used the ball very well while our distribution was very poor.

Hannon looked knackered and wasnt in the game much but Dowling was very good but it says a lot when our best player was 17 years of age.
    Limerick hit a lot of wides but youd have to be happy. All our forwards scored and when your highest scorer only gets 1 4 out of 2 19 its not a bad sign.

Tony Kelly is a super player. A fantastic talent. Hes a joy to watch. Very sporting game played in a great spirit and there was even a dispute over a point. Shur what more can you ask for ha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement