Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The last time we saw the Cork 'A' team they were demolished by Tipp, so concentrate on yere problems down there ttm and don't bother polluting the Limk thread with your smart-ass nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd rather our schools were doing really well rather than not, but we've had a lot of success in recent years and have some serious players coming through... no one is going to cry over one year where we don't win the Harty... 2 semi-finalists is still pretty decent. Obviously we can't let standards drop, but the most important thing is players coming through, not trophies. But I suppose we've a lot of experience in recent years of players being burned out and tired for the business end of the Championship... certainly seemed to happen with both Dowling & Hannon, even Downes.

As for squad depth, I would doubt that Cork have more depth than Limerick... I imagine it's pretty similar tbqh.

Quaid, Murphy, Hennessey- 3 fine keepers

Walsh, Condon, Hickey, O'Brien, King with the possibility of Dempsey returning at corner-back.

McCarthy at full-back, I imagine Condon is next in line; definitely our weakest position for depth.

Wayne, Condon, Gavin, Dan, Ryan, Paudie, even Breen & Hickey at wing-back... Allis has been playing there too, and Barry O'Connell possibly to come in.

Dodge, Wayne, Condon all possibilities at 6... if we were stuck then Hickey, Breen or Hannon could move there.

Browne, Jim-Bob, Paudie, King, Allis, Reidy, Lynch, Tom Ryan could all play midfield.

Lynch, Breen, Dodge, Moran, Allis, Reidy, Dowling, Hannon, Downes, Gavin could all play wing-forward.

Hannon, Downes, Jim-Bob, Gavin as centre-forward options.

Mulcahy, Tobin, Downes, Morrissey, Breen in the corner.

And Dowling, Downes, Morrissey, Begley as full-forward, with KOB possibly added.

I wouldn't say that's any worse depth than Cork really... that's 30 players, with 3 just outside and 4 Leaving Certers if really stuck. Admittedly, some of that will come down to whether the likes of Seanie O'Brien, King, Dan Morrissey, Reidy, Allis, Lynch, Tom Morrissey, Begley and Adrian Breen are trusted in the Championship. I think all could have a role to play... and you can only have 26 in a matchday panel.

For the game against Waterford, I think we should go all out to get a win. No fcuking around like we have in the past. Hopefully Waterford will be well up for the battle and it will be a good test, but that we can come out on the right side of the result. Our strongest team should be put out but considering the injuries, etc. there will still be a lot of players trialled. Not sure if Quaid to 6 for this game would be the right call, but it could be our strongest option...
    Quaid
    Walsh McCarthy Hickey
    Condon Dodge Wayne
    Browne Jim-Bob
    Lynch Hannon Reidy
    Morrissey Dowling Breen

That team looks strong to me- that's on the assumption that we have no Hennessey, Paudie, Gavin, Breen, Moran, Downes, Tobin, Mulcahy.

The real big calls are at 12, with Reidy included. Maybe Dodge to 12, and Quaid or Wayne to 6 would be better use of resources. Allis, Fitzgibbon, Tom Ryan all other options... or even Dowling with Morrissey or Begley on the edge of the square.

I think 7 is the other big call with Wayne, Dan Morrissey or Tom Ryan all big options. Ryan needs gametime as soon as possible.

Even with that 15 though, you have Seanie O'Brien, King, Ryan, Morrissey, Allis and Begley to spring from the bench which is decent enough.

Not sure what Waterford will be like, but you'd imagine they'll be targeting this game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

The last time we saw the Cork 'A' team they were demolished by Tipp, so concentrate on yere problems down there ttm and don't bother polluting the Limk thread with your smart-ass nonsense.

Yere unbelievable be fair

Ye don't take criticism and when I do praise ye don't like it

I praised limerick and simply showed report cork paper
    I'm sorry if you took offence but it's just my opinion

Yes we got destroyed by tipperary we know that but in long run id rather that any and every day than a moral victory

Tj first win in four attempt to cork deserved to be credited
    Nothing more or less

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'd rather our schools were doing really well rather than not, but we've had a lot of success in recent years and have some serious players coming through... no one is going to cry over one year where we don't win the Harty... 2 semi-finalists is still pretty decent. Obviously we can't let standards drop, but the most important thing is players coming through, not trophies. But I suppose we've a lot of experience in recent years of players being burned out and tired for the business end of the Championship... certainly seemed to happen with both Dowling & Hannon, even Downes.

As for squad depth, I would doubt that Cork have more depth than Limerick... I imagine it's pretty similar tbqh.

Quaid, Murphy, Hennessey- 3 fine keepers

Walsh, Condon, Hickey, O'Brien, King with the possibility of Dempsey returning at corner-back.

McCarthy at full-back, I imagine Condon is next in line; definitely our weakest position for depth.

Wayne, Condon, Gavin, Dan, Ryan, Paudie, even Breen & Hickey at wing-back... Allis has been playing there too, and Barry O'Connell possibly to come in.

Dodge, Wayne, Condon all possibilities at 6... if we were stuck then Hickey, Breen or Hannon could move there.

Browne, Jim-Bob, Paudie, King, Allis, Reidy, Lynch, Tom Ryan could all play midfield.

Lynch, Breen, Dodge, Moran, Allis, Reidy, Dowling, Hannon, Downes, Gavin could all play wing-forward.

Hannon, Downes, Jim-Bob, Gavin as centre-forward options.

Mulcahy, Tobin, Downes, Morrissey, Breen in the corner.

And Dowling, Downes, Morrissey, Begley as full-forward, with KOB possibly added.

I wouldn't say that's any worse depth than Cork really... that's 30 players, with 3 just outside and 4 Leaving Certers if really stuck. Admittedly, some of that will come down to whether the likes of Seanie O'Brien, King, Dan Morrissey, Reidy, Allis, Lynch, Tom Morrissey, Begley and Adrian Breen are trusted in the Championship. I think all could have a role to play... and you can only have 26 in a matchday panel.
    That's hard to disagree with to be fair

I think ye have depth in some positions but moran Reidy, Dan Morrissey I'd wonder among a few are they top class inter county senior players

There fine club players and colleagues I don't doubt
    David Breen is committed but imo I don't think he's best around or is Allis
    Adrian is top talent

Downes meant be back in March and Tobin just few weeks away so yere getting lads back

O mahony is on form brilliant half back but I dint think he's a centre forward and it would be good test v fennelly of ballyhale
    I don't think he caused ray Ryan too much trouble if I remember when up front at times in sarsfields game
    Hannon is superb centre back but ye need him up front imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Brilliant truly wonderful win all the same for limerick Im sure many will cherish for a long time in limerick considered he started in ist game charge against cork tj lost other two games huge huge progress made he managed to finally beat a cork team fourth time of asking

Very very positive for the season ahead and outstanding achievement of management I must admit so early in the season

Well done to tj and all involved

This is ridiculous.

This is ridiculous.

It's not to be fair

I congrats on a win and posted cork view from a paper
    Tj record to cork was four games
    Ist win, so I'm not saying anything wrong am I
    I geuinely was giving credit as I did say last week hadn't beat cork three attempt

I didn't give credit I'd be seen as not being fair
    Previously some though I wasn't been fair
    I can't win either way
    I'm always gracious in defeat or victory I didn't see many limerick lads saying well done to richestown
    Not my style ye won so congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Key points were the third sentence limerck having closer championship team and the last sentence with limerick eight plus two subs last year munster final to cork two

Brilliant truly wonderful win all the same for limerick Im sure many will cherish for a long time in limerick considered he started in ist game charge against cork tj lost other two games huge huge progress made he managed to finally beat a cork team fourth time of asking

Very very positive for the season ahead and outstanding achievement of management I must admit so early in the season

Well done to tj and all involved

As I say, don't feed the troll, he'll go away soon once he is over the cork defeat, took him a few weeks after kilmallock beat sarsfields too, took him awhile to get the bitterness out of his system...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    As I say, don't feed the troll, he'll go away soon once he is over the cork defeat, took him a few weeks after kilmallock beat sarsfields too, took him awhile to get the bitterness out of his system...

Says the fella comes cork thread looking for a reaction
    Again I'm not a troll
    Just cause I have different options doesn't make me one
    I have geuine interest gaa matters

It's not to be fair

I congrats on a win and posted cork view from a paper
    Tj record to cork was four games
    Ist win, so I'm not saying anything wrong am I
    I geuinely was giving credit as I did say last week hadn't beat cork three attempt

I didn't give credit I'd be seen as not being fair
    Previously some though I wasn't been fair
    I can't win either way
    I'm always gracious in defeat or victory I didn't see many limerick lads saying well done to richestown
    Not my style ye won so congratulations

With respect, it is not a "Brilliant truly wonderful win all the same for limerick" that "many will cherish for a long time in limerick", the fact of the matter is that is simply just not true.

• Advertisement

With respect, it is not a "Brilliant truly wonderful win all the same for limerick" that "many will cherish for a long time in limerick", the fact of the matter is that is simply just not true.

Look fair point but it's merely a choice of words

That's my style writing as you know on many posts

What meant was that limerick ist win I'm eight years I'm competition and while not the all Ireland etc it's win

Be fair the Limerick leader was high praise of win also

Look fair point but it's merely a choice of words

That's my style writing as you know on many posts

What meant was that limerick ist win I'm eight years I'm competition and while not the all Ireland etc it's win

Be fair the Limerick leader was high praise of win also
    Don't mind the Leader, they like to get carried away (see build up to the Clare game in 2013...)

It's a meaningless win in the grand scheme of things; the free count paints its own picture of Cork's performance, we picked our best available team, Cork mainly fielded fringe players, I believe Cork will have learned much more than we did from that game, and given the relative strength of the teams both teams fielded I believe Cork did quite well to keep up for the first three quarters. The Echo article you linked pretty much gets it spot on in fairness.

Don't mind the Leader, they like to get carried away (see build up to the Clare game in 2013...)

It's a meaningless win in the grand scheme of things; the free count paints its own picture of Cork's performance, we picked our best available team, Cork mainly fielded fringe players, I believe Cork will have learned much more than we did from that game, and given the relative strength of the teams both teams fielded I believe Cork did quite well to keep up for the first three quarters. The Echo article you linked pretty much gets it spot on in fairness.

I would agree with that

What cork learned is some of the lads are good club men in cork but not Intercounty

Dowling was imo best value we got from cork loss in Cahalane has tough outing but done as good anyone could on him
    Cork need a full back
    Soon Dowling went out to half back he cleaned Joyce out in the air with a peach of a point
    Dowling will be superb again this year and he destroyed cork I'n under twenty one four years ago absolutely lording the air against mark Ellis I think marked him

That's hard to disagree with to be fair

I think ye have depth in some positions but moran Reidy, Dan Morrissey I'd wonder among a few are they top class inter county senior players

There fine club players and colleagues I don't doubt
    David Breen is committed but imo I don't think he's best around or is Allis
    Adrian is top talent

O mahony is on form brilliant half back but I dint think he's a centre forward and it would be good test v fennelly of ballyhale
    I don't think he caused ray Ryan too much trouble if I remember when up front at times in sarsfields game
    Hannon is superb centre back but ye need him up front imo

Yeah, they may not be top class, I don't think they are but nobody, not even Kilkenny has a panel full of top class players. Some players are top class, then you'll have a lot of merely good intercounty players after that, particularly on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Mehapoy wrote: »

Mehapoy you gave good advice here a while back. I took it and only read posts from genuine Gaa posters on this thread since.
    If everyone does the same we can prevent the Limerick thread turning into the shambles that the Cork one has become.
    ZH you can see now the reaction to a simple one line post so can we just ignore the troll and it will eventually get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Kilmallock match on Saturday moved to Mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Pandiani wrote: »

FFS

Pandiani wrote: »

:eek::eek: probably fairer I know but still a strange one

Edit - weather related, fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Thought it was a bit unfair to fix it for Thurles in the first place but apparently Portaferry were more than happy to travel down.

washman3 wrote: »
    Thought it was a bit unfair to fix it for Thurles in the first place but apparently Portaferry were more than happy to travel down.

Kilmmallock have picked good challenge games for preparing in twice plated Davy Fitzgerald team clare and lit in limerick but travelled to tipp play senior team in a challenge also

It's ideal preparing play senior inter county teams and ballyhale adopted similar strategy playing wit and cork senior team two weeks ago

• Advertisement

By all accounts, Kilmallock were very decent in that challenge game against Tipp.

Odd that Semple is frozen and Mullingar is fine... it would seem to be fairer on Portaferry but what's the capacity there?

11,000 according to Wiki.

11,000 according to Wiki.

You'd wonder whether Parnell Park might not have been handier in the first place if that was the attendance expected... only a short trip up the motorway for Kilmallock really, and I imaginne it's about the same for Portaferry too.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    By all accounts, Kilmallock were very decent in that challenge game against Tipp.

Odd that Semple is frozen and Mullingar is fine... it would seem to be fairer on Portaferry but what's the capacity there?

Thry were it was played in annacarthy
    Tipp had some regular big guns playing
    Clare game five weeks ago or so they were well beaten by clare
    Should win Sunday handy enough

I think that Mullingar will suit kilmmallock more than thurles as kilmmallock home ptich is tight enough compare to thurles big open spaces and it will suit them
    I don't imo think Mullingar will affect them

Football team announced for the Tipp game. Same team as the one that actually took to the field against Sligo as Phair didn't start there, while Moran did. O'Dea moved out to the wing afaik with Moran dropping back, Fahey also featured in the defence, Sheehan around half-forward with Neville inside.

1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffin’s)
    2. Sean O’Dea (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
    3. Johnny McCarthy (St.Kieran’s)
    4. Robert Browne (Fr. Casey’s)
    5. Iain Corbett (Newcastlewest)
    6. Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey’s)
    7. Colm Moran (Monaleen)
    8. Tom Lee (Ballylanders)
    9. Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick’s)
    10. Darragh Tracey (St. Kieran’s)
    11. Danny Neville (Ballysteen)
    12. Seanie Buckley (Dromcollogher/Broadford) (Captain)
    13. Mikey Lyons (Adare)
    14. Cian Sheehan (Newcastlewest)
    15. Cillian Fahy (Dromcollogher/Broadford)

Much bigger test this week, away to Tipp. For a long time we had a much better football team than Tipp, but those days are sadly gone. Tipp are a very good outfit these days, very slick going forward and I can't see us being able to hold them... their wing-backs support their attack very well. Our lads will put in a big effort but as I said the last day, a county like Limerick can't afford to lose as many players as they have and to match against improving teams like Tipp. Even from the Championship last year, our two best attackers were Ian Ryan & Boris Hanrahan... neither available on Sunday- Pa Ranahan & Stephen Lucey were arguably our next two players, neither of them are there either. And that was only last season. Gearoid Hegarty came on as a sub and made a big impression and he's a quality footballer to have, but Tipp have put in big work at underage level and it's paying off.

Think it's on in Templetuohy now because of the frozen pitch in Thurles.

Kilmallock are beating Portaferry at the break by 5, early goal by Paddy O'Loughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Kilmallock won 2-19 to 0-10, Ballyhale won other semi

Graeme Mul is just pure class, almost impossible to mark effectively... even for a team as good as Ballyhale, they'll find it difficult to keep him under wraps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Easy win as I expected, can also beat ballyhale, but must front up to them and not be bullied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Rightwing wrote: »
    Easy win as I expected, can also beat ballyhale, but must front up to them and not be bullied.

For Kilmallocks sake I hope the Sparrow has a more subtle game plan than that. Plenty of teams in KK have fronted up to the Shamrocks only to come off second best. Shamrocks, like any team, are beatable but you'll have to be a bit more nuanced than acting the hard man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement