Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The Sparrow knows what I'm doing, I imagine; Kilmallock were written off in Limerick... they bounced back from an early beating at the hands of Na Piarsaigh, they weren't expected to do anything in Munster either, and now they're in the All-Ireland final. They are underdogs and definitely don't have as much talent as Ballyhale but the Sparrow will have some gameplan.

Player-for-player, they don't match Ballyhale and I don't think it would be a surprise if they were to lose but they do have big, powerful men, strong ball-winners and a decent spine as well as lots of experience (but so do Ballyhale). In Graeme Mulcahy, they have someone who is as good as any forward in the country at club level... his pace, first touch, movement are all top-notch and he has the ability to create and to score in equal measure. The battle between Gavin O'Mahony & Michael Fennelly will be very interesting too, Gavin is a very wily operator and they'll need him to stand up in a game of such importance.

Do they have the backs to contain Henry, Fennelly and the Reids? That's a big question and Ballyhale have great movement too but the O'Loughlin's have been involved in intercounty setups and are decent players, while Liam Walsh is a very handy player too.

I imagine Kilmallock will try and utilise their strengths- the ball-winning abilities of Kenneally, Ryan, Egan & Mulcahy up front, and try to get Graeme on the ball as much as possible. Also, the long-range scoring potential from O'Sullivan, Jake Mul, O'Donnell and Paudie O'Brien is one of their big assets and probably the reason they won the Munster final.

In the end, they are big underdogs, trying to contain a star-studded Ballyhale team will be a big ask but I'm sure they'll give it everything they have, even with less natural talent.

Would absolutely love to see Shaughs win a national title, some man to keep going and was a star for Limerick in less-good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Fireball07 wrote: »
    The Sparrow knows what I'm doing, I imagine; Kilmallock were written off in Limerick... they bounced back from an early beating at the hands of Na Piarsaigh, they weren't expected to do anything in Munster either, and now they're in the All-Ireland final. They are underdogs and definitely don't have as much talent as Ballyhale but the Sparrow will have some gameplan.

Player-for-player, they don't match Ballyhale and I don't think it would be a surprise if they were to lose but they do have big, powerful men, strong ball-winners and a decent spine as well as lots of experience (but so do Ballyhale). In Graeme Mulcahy, they have someone who is as good as any forward in the country at club level... his pace, first touch, movement are all top-notch and he has the ability to create and to score in equal measure. The battle between Gavin O'Mahony & Michael Fennelly will be very interesting too, Gavin is a very wily operator and they'll need him to stand up in a game of such importance.

Do they have the backs to contain Henry, Fennelly and the Reids? That's a big question and Ballyhale have great movement too but the O'Loughlin's have been involved in intercounty setups and are decent players, while Liam Walsh is a very handy player too.

I imagine Kilmallock will try and utilise their strengths- the ball-winning abilities of Kenneally, Ryan, Egan & Mulcahy up front, and try to get Graeme on the ball as much as possible. Also, the long-range scoring potential from O'Sullivan, Jake Mul, O'Donnell and Paudie O'Brien is one of their big assets and probably the reason they won the Munster final.

In the end, they are big underdogs, trying to contain a star-studded Ballyhale team will be a big ask but I'm sure they'll give it everything they have, even with less natural talent.

Would absolutely love to see Shaughs win a national title, some man to keep going and was a star for Limerick in less-good times.

Great post! Didn't AOS win an U21 AI with LK?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball07 wrote: »

Agree with that. What I've realised about Kilmallock is that while they don't have the wealth of intercounty talent that ballyhale, or even Na Piarsaigh do, the rest of their team is made up of really exceptional club players. 6 strong backs and a very strong half back line, and many excellent long range point takers in the middle 8, and they're not relying on any one county player to carry them. They're an extremely well balanced club team without many weak links. If they can prevent ballyhale from getting early goals I fancy them to outpoint them as the match wears on.

citykat wrote: »
    Great post! Didn't AOS win an U21 AI with LK?

Well, yeah :D

But winning at club level probably means even more to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

I've just thrown 100 yoyo's on ye for the all Ireland this year.
    I think if ye play to your potential you will take stopping.

I'm looking forward to seeing how we'll do against ye next Weekend.
    Big game for us to see where our young lads are at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I was thinking of going to the Limerick Waterford game next weekend and was wondering if I could get tickets on match day at the stadium?

I was thinking of going to the Limerick Waterford game next weekend and was wondering if I could get tickets on match day at the stadium?

I would say that you will definitely be able, that's what I'm doing anyway! There'll be a ticket van outside, it's never going to sell out completely like. I think it's cheaper if you get them in a Centra or Super Value beforehand though, although don't quote me on that part.

Late change to the Limerick football team once again... last week Colm Moran came in, this time he loses out, Stephen Cahill starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

These league matches are never ticket affairs. You just pay at the stiles going in. I expect it to be €15 for adult and €10 for student

Limerick have hit 4 wides and are down 0-3 to 0-0. Need to be clinical against the likes of Tipp when we have chances.

• Advertisement

0-5 to 0-0 in favour of Tipp :( Tipp seem to have been very very clinical, very good scoretaking and Limerick have wasted every single attack.

Mikey Lyons just missed a free from straight in front of the posts, dropped it short :/

Are we ever going to score?

Gearoid Hegarty drove through the Tipp defence but went for goal and blazed it across goal. Limerick do seem to be winning a lot of breaking ball, but Tipp seem excellent at moving the ball to defence to attack quickly and feeding their inside forwards. It was the same problem against them last year, where we were much too slow in our build-up and Tipp moved it quickly and they killed us.

Robert Browne was Limerick's 3rd free-taker of the half, and they've all missed, again he dropped it short.

Tipp are 6 points up, haven't scored in a while, but we haven't scored at all. Hegarty seems to be doing well, fine player.

Another one into the hands of the keeper just there, I think that's happened 4 or 5 times. Killian Phair warming up, we need someone who can score.

1st score in 12 minutes for Tipperary through a Sweeney free. No scores in 29 minutes for Limerick :(

And another wide through Corbett.

No scores in the first half. That is pretty bad. The worst thing is the commentators seem halfway encouraged by the actual performance, they are creating chances but not scoring. And not really keeping tabs well enough on the Tipp forwards, although they are a good team.

Fog sounds like it's pretty bad, but that's no excuse really. Radio went just before half-time with Tipp on the attack but it only ended up with a point. 0-8 to 0-0 is not good.

I probably sound like a broken record at this stage, but we can't afford to lose as many of our best forwards as we have and expect to be as effective up front.

Liam Aherne says he can't see the far side of the pitch with the fog.

Peter Nash & Killian Phair are now on for Cillian Fahy and Darragh Treacy. Let's hope they can rejuvenate our attack, both good score-takers on their day.

Conor Sweeney missed a very simple free for Tipp, maybe the fog is playing a part. Nash just kicked our 10th wide. We've dominated possession in this half but done nothing with it. That's disappointing.

Goal chance missed by Tipp.

Point for Limerick! Corbett won the kick-out himself, ran straight through the Tipp defence and slotted the point. First score for us after 44 minutes.

Hurray!

• Advertisement

Another free missed by Scanlon. Tipp respond with a point.

Limerick have had 17 scoring opportunities and scored 1 point, Tipp have had 14 and scored 9.

Penalty for Limerick! A '45 taken short, Peter Nash dropped it in and there was a footblock apparently.

Big chance.

Seanie Buckley buries the penalty!

1-1 to 0-9. At least we're still going.

Sadly, Tipp just decide to rip through our defence and score a great goal.

1-9 to 1-1, apparently it was class :(

Jamie Lee in for Danny Neville.

We just seem to be turning the ball over much too easily.

Limerick had a goal chance at one end, a good attack but it ended up with nothing. Tipp quickly broke, ripped us apart, but messed up a goal chance too but O'Brien fisted a point.

1-11 to 1-01. That's not good.

Being utterly decimated at the moment. Intensity gone. But it definitely sounds like the chances we missed in the first half were the real killer, that would drain your confidence.

Another point! Peter Nash this time.

Scanlon made a good save from a Tipp goal chance.

Jason Mullins and John Riordan on.

I think we've dropped about 8 shots into the goalkeeper's hands. Points difference is being absolutely decimated at the moment, could cost us in the long-term.

• Advertisement

Match blown up 30 seconds or so early. Abandoned due to fog :pac:

1-14 to 1-02 I think was the final score.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement