Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ah shur they couldn't see the posts in fairness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Well done to Kilmallock on Sunday. Semi finals are for winning but they are up against it against Ballyhale. Hopefully all the hurling people of Limerick get behind them in Croke Park. I'd be delighted for Shaughs if he could get a winners medal. He pretty much carried us there in 2007 (along with Ollie Moran) when he was a man on fire (that penalty he rifled home in the canal end was the most crisply struck penalty I think ive ever seen) but he was never going to beat KK on his own.

It would be fitting for a Limerick hurling legend like him to win an all ireland on patricks day and banish a few demons but theres no sentimentality in sport especially playing a team from KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Browney7 wrote: »
    Well done to Kilmallock on Sunday. Semi finals are for winning but they are up against it against Ballyhale. Hopefully all the hurling people of Limerick get behind them in Croke Park. I'd be delighted for Shaughs if he could get a winners medal. He pretty much carried us there in 2007 (along with Ollie Moran) when he was a man on fire (that penalty he rifled home in the canal end was the most crisply struck penalty I think ive ever seen) but he was never going to beat KK on his own.

It would be fitting for a Limerick hurling legend like him to win an all ireland on patricks day and banish a few demons but theres no sentimentality in sport especially playing a team from KK.
    Would be great to see kilmallock do it, about time a limerick team won the all Ireland club, and would be a great boost to have a limerick team winning an all Ireland in croke park, would take a monumental efford though, ballyhale have a serious forward line and I'd fear kilmallock might be able to hold 1 or 2 stars but it's a big ask to hold shefflin, fennelly and TJ Reid as well as the other forwards all on the one day...if it was any other team beside ballyhale you'd have to be confident, all they can do is leave everything on the field on the day and hope they get the breaks though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Would be great to see kilmallock do it, about time a limerick team won the all Ireland club, and would be a great boost to have a limerick team winning an all Ireland in croke park, would take a monumental efford though, ballyhale have a serious forward line and I'd fear kilmallock might be able to hold 1 or 2 stars but it's a big ask to hold shefflin, fennelly and TJ Reid as well as the other forwards all on the one day...if it was any other team beside ballyhale you'd have to be confident, all they can do is leave everything on the field on the day and hope they get the breaks though...
    Yeah I fear they could be exposed alright. Then again, theyve been written off since the county final!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Suppose we'll have Hannon, Reidy & maybe English added to the squad now Mary I are out of the Fitz.
    TJ was saying he wouldn't be playing players involved with the Fitz.
    I'd like to see all hands on deck for Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

He said during the week that the league wasnt the priority (or similar) and id prefer to see hannon get a few weeks off, bring him in for wexford. Think Tj has this one right.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

The sparrow has released Gavin to play this saturday night according to the limerick leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

pajoguy wrote: »
    The sparrow has released Gavin to play this saturday night according to the limerick leader.

Thats a bit of a risk for kilmallock, with hannon rested you'd think he'll get the nod at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

A slight risk for Kilmallock but at the same time, they don't want him going into the Ballyhale game undercooked, a league game against Waterford will be a good runout for him.

Mary I must be sickened to go out in the circumstances they did... I'd give Hannon a break if he wants but someone like Reidy needs to take every opportunity he can to break into the first team. Some super form for Mary I, can he push onto the next level now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Hannon will most likely start, there isn't just one priority for the year ahead, maybe TJ might say in public that the league isn't a priority but the squad he selected for the league says otherwise. That was very much a squad with an eye only on the immediate future. And they wouldn't pull O'Mahony away from Kilmallock if they didn't attach importance to the league (although if we were only going to pick one I'd go for Mulcahy.) I know for a fact the players desperately want out of 1B.

Saturday; I hope to see O'Grady at centre back, and O'Mahony not at wing back, have him in the half forward line if he starts, along with Hannon, and hopefully Lynch instead of Moran (who I suspect may get the nod...)

Hopefully Morissey starts too. If Downes, Mulcahy and Tobin are unavailable along with D.Breen only just returning to training, I'd be quite annoyed if we don't start both Lynch and Morissey.

Also, I'd nearly continue with Walsh at 2 and Condon at wing back, I think wing back would suit Condon better in the long run and Walsh is dependable enough in the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Mary I must be sickened to go out in the circumstances they did... I'd give Hannon a break if he wants but someone like Reidy needs to take every opportunity he can to break into the first team. Some super form for Mary I, can he push onto the next level now?
    Make or break time for Reidy now I suspect, a good few absences in the forwards at present so the league is very important for him. Feels like he's been around a while but he's still only 22.

For the game against Waterford, I think we should go all out to get a win. No fcuking around like we have in the past. Hopefully Waterford will be well up for the battle and it will be a good test, but that we can come out on the right side of the result. Our strongest team should be put out but considering the injuries, etc. there will still be a lot of players trialled. Not sure if Quaid to 6 for this game would be the right call, but it could be our strongest option...
    Quaid
    Walsh McCarthy Hickey
    Condon Dodge Wayne
    Browne Jim-Bob
    Lynch Hannon Reidy
    Morrissey Dowling Breen

That team looks strong to me- that's on the assumption that we have no Hennessey, Paudie, Gavin, Breen, Moran, Downes, Tobin, Mulcahy.

The real big calls are at 12, with Reidy included. Maybe Dodge to 12, and Quaid or Wayne to 6 would be better use of resources. Allis, Fitzgibbon, Tom Ryan all other options... or even Dowling with Morrissey or Begley on the edge of the square.

I think 7 is the other big call with Wayne, Dan Morrissey or Tom Ryan all big options. Ryan needs gametime as soon as possible.

Even with that 15 though, you have Seanie O'Brien, King, Ryan, Morrissey, Allis and Begley to spring from the bench which is decent enough.

Not sure what Waterford will be like, but you'd imagine they'll be targeting this game too.

This is the 15 I said I'd like to see start a while ago and I think I'd stick with that, although if Gavin is going to be playing, it's likely to be at half-forward although I'd really like to see that one of Lynch/Hannon/Reidy. Maybe try Lynch in the corner? Possibility of Seanie O'Brien starting in the corner but if he's not playing Fitzgibbon players, obviously not. Thing with Seanie is that he plays forward for LIT, plays in the forwards for Patrickswell, has played in the forwards in the past for Limerick, played midfield for the U-21s... and we're asking him to play corner-back, ahead of his clubmate Carmody & LIT colleague Alan Dempsey. If we're serious about him as an option, he's another who needs to get gametime in that position so we can see whether he's good enough.

Haven't heard whether Tom Ryan is fit but he wasn't playing for UL in the Fitzgibbon yesterday. Now, there is also the possibility that he isn't playing Fitz anyway but I haven't heard either way. I'd love to see him get a good chance though at wing-back.

It would appear to me we are going all out for promotion this year looking at the teams that played in Waterford Crystal and we seemed to have hit the ground running this year very early compared to previous years where we seemed to be primed for May June etc.

If we are primed for spring time will we be able to keep it going through to august or hopefully september.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Having won the waterford crystal and had a run of games there we should hit the ground running and Id make us strong favourites to win because of this and because our team is further down the road of development than waterford are.

It's nice that there actually seems to be some serious competition for places. Bit harsh saying its last chance saloon for reidy, he's still young and has time yet. And it's going to be very hard to break into that half forward line.

If Gavin plays then I presume it will be at half forward. I still think that this is because he needs the games and Kilmallock need him to get games and he'll revert to wing back come summer. Of course, he could be so good there or his replacement could be so good that it becomes permanent. I don't expect so though.

For the league in total I'm looking forward to seeing where Dodge ends up, Downes hopefully regaining top form for county which would be a huge addition from last year, and whether Lynch, Morrissey and Tom Ryan especially can establish themselves as starters for summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

When will ye have a team for us? Waterford have played about 11 games including 7 v County opposition since December so expect a stern test.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lizzyod

Limerick hurling in one of the best positions now they ever have been

When will ye have a team for us? Waterford have played about 11 games including 7 v County opposition since December so expect a stern test.

Thinking of giving ye a walkover and hiding in the long grass until May for Davy!!!!

I reckon team that started the final against cork two weeks ago will be thereabouts. TJ may not tinker too much during the league.

TJ didn't publicly announce teams during the WCC but I'm expecting a Friday night announcement for the league.

Expecting a tough battle, considering we do have a few injuries but we looked settled enough in pre-season so hopefully we can do enough at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

TJ didn't publicly announce teams during the WCC but I'm expecting a Friday night announcement for the league.

Expecting a tough battle, considering we do have a few injuries but we looked settled enough in pre-season so hopefully we can do enough at home.

McGrath was announcing teams a week in advance in some cases with us last year and didn't seem to do dummy teams, obviously a change of approach there too. No harm in keeping the cards close to the chest, though opposition generally have a fair idea when it comes to championship.

Yeah would be deserving favourites no doubt, but I think it's going to be a great way to start the league as both sides will be all out and have clearly designs on winning the game. Feel we are in a better place to compete this year and Dunford is the only real notable loss from last years starting team v Wexford, though the question marks about the fullback line have returned unfortunately. Good to see lads like Barron, O'Halloran and Philip Mahony who missed last year back in the fray though.

Looking forward to the game.

McGrath was announcing teams a week in advance in some cases with us last year and didn't seem to do dummy teams, obviously a change of approach there too. No harm in keeping the cards close to the chest, though opposition generally have a fair idea when it comes to championship.

Yeah would be deserving favourites no doubt, but I think it's going to be a great way to start the league as both sides will be all out and have clearly designs on winning the game. Feel we are in a better place to compete this year and Dunford is the only real notable loss from last years starting team v Wexford, though the question marks about the fullback line have returned unfortunately. Good to see lads like Barron, O'Halloran and Philip Mahony who missed last year back in the fray though.

Looking forward to the game.

TJ may have said the league isn't an absolute priority, but we've fcuked up so many times in the past few years that we can't afford to this time and I expect us to come out all guns blazing.

I think that's what Waterford will be expecting though... I'm a bit nervous about it tbh. A loss pretty much ends either teams hopes of promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Seeing elsewhere that Lynch is midfield, Condon wingback and Reidy wing forward

Vanolder wrote: »
    Seeing elsewhere that Lynch is midfield, Condon wingback and Reidy wing forward

Will be interesting to see the team starting, does he leave dodge cb, does he play O'mahony at half back or centre forward if he plays, does he start Reidy and lynch in half forward line, thinke he might go with:
    Quaid
    Walsh McCarthy Hickey
    Condon Dog McNamara
    Ryan King
    Moran/D Breen Hannon lynch
    Morrissey Dowling Breen

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see the team starting, does he leave dodge cb, does he play O'mahony at half back or centre forward if he plays, does he start Reidy and lynch in half forward line, thinke he might go with:
    Quaid
    Walsh McCarthy Hickey
    Condon Dog McNamara
    Ryan King
    Moran/D Breen Hannon lynch
    Morrissey Dowling Breen

I can't see GOM not starting if he is released, and I don't see Browne not starting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

James Ryan is out I have heard? I would expect Reidy or Browne to slot in, Hannon to replace Moran, other than that I don't expect major changes from the WCC final. Team to be announced tonight.

If a strong team is named, I expect us to lay down a marker on Saturday night.

I can't see GOM not starting if he is released, and I don't see Browne not starting either.

Actually was thinking of Browne but wrote King! yes I think Browne will start definitely, interesting where he'll play if gom starts..

Limerick team named, few big surprises:
    Nicky
    Walsh Richie Mc Hickey
    Condon Wayne Dodge
    King Browne
    Hannon GOM Lynch
    Reidy D. Breen A. Breen

Hopefully Breen doesn't play full-forward, I don't really like him there... I like his ability to carry the ball. Not sure Reidy is an inside forward either, better if he was given a chance further out and maybe try Lynch inside.

Not sure they will line out exactly like that, Dodge at wing-back with Wayne centre is a possibility but the reverse seemes more likely.

I like the idea of King being given a chance in the middle again.

Hannon, Reidy or GOM on frees? No Dowling is a bit of a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Limerick team named, few big surprises:
    Nicky
    Walsh Richie Mc Hickey
    Condon Wayne Dodge
    King Browne
    Hannon GOM Lynch
    Reidy D. Breen A. Breen

Hopefully Breen doesn't play full-forward, I don't really like him there... I like his ability to carry the ball. Not sure Reidy is an inside forward either, better if he was given a chance further out and maybe try Lynch inside.

Not sure they will line out exactly like that, Dodge at wing-back with Wayne centre is a possibility but the reverse seemes more likely.

I like the idea of King being given a chance in the middle again.

Hannon, Reidy or GOM on frees? No Dowling is a bit of a shock.

Surprised at no dowling. Do you have the list of subs available by any chance? Agree on breen, he brings a lot at wing forward. We seen set on a big man at full forward... Presume they will line out as selected, to start at least, is there much to be gained naming dummy teams the first round of the league? King very much viewed as a midfielder so, we prob won't be seeing him at corner back. Only new corner back tried is usually a corner forward, hmm... Why were Dempsey and carmody dropped again? A quibble, I've let it go, honestly. That's a strong team and it looks like there will be serious competition for places this year. With everyone fit we look like we have a lot of depth all of a sudden. I expect that team will account for waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Dowling will be missed. Hopefully he makes a quick recovery.

Surprised at no dowling. Do you have the list of subs available by any chance? Agree on breen, he brings a lot at wing forward. We seen set on a big man at full forward... Presume they will line out as selected, to start at least, is there much to be gained naming dummy teams the first round of the league? King very much viewed as a midfielder so, we prob won't be seeing him at corner back. Only new corner back tried is usually a corner forward, hmm... Why were Dempsey and carmody dropped again? A quibble, I've let it go, honestly. That's a strong team and it looks like there will be serious competition for places this year. With everyone fit we look like we have a lot of depth all of a sudden. I expect that team will account for waterford.

Don't have the subs, only took it from twitter. I imagine we have both Morrisseys, Begley, Tommy O'Brien, John Fitzgibbon... maybe Dowling and Moran if they are even half-fit. Presuming Tom Ryan is still unavailable as well as the players still in the Fitz- Murphy & O'Brien.

I would imagine that Dowling will certainly be at full-forward for big matches when fit and available.

Would agree that there isn't much point in naming dummy teams for the league, and I suppose testing things isn't too bad but I'd rather see Breen at wing-back or wing-forward rather than inside... I'd rather see Dowling, Downes, Morrissey, Moran, Begley, even Dodge and Seanie O'Brien there than Breen, who really doesn't offer much more than someone to break ball inside- all his main strengths are more suited to playing deeper. He's not a particularly quick, fluent striker of a ball or a natural scorer, certainly not as good a goalscorer as those.

We might play with a 2-man inside line, maybe one of Reidy or Breen drifting out, I think Reidy might have played inside for Limerick U-21s? Although he has played deeper for most of his career, most recently at midfield for Mary I.

I'm a big fan of King at midfield, I like to see it tried, but he needs to make better use of the ball and needs a much better showing than down in Mallow.

That's nowhere near our strongest team so beating Waterford won't be easy at all. They'll certainly fancy themselves seeing us without Dowling, Downes, Mulcahy, Tobin, Jim-Bob, Paudie and with other players not in their natural positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Liam Aherne says Dowling is sick for the past week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement