Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Don't have the subs, only took it from twitter. I imagine we have both Morrisseys, Begley, Tommy O'Brien, John Fitzgibbon... maybe Dowling and Moran if they are even half-fit. Presuming Tom Ryan is still unavailable as well as the players still in the Fitz- Murphy & O'Brien.

I would imagine that Dowling will certainly be at full-forward for big matches when fit and available.

Would agree that there isn't much point in naming dummy teams for the league, and I suppose testing things isn't too bad but I'd rather see Breen at wing-back or wing-forward rather than inside... I'd rather see Dowling, Downes, Morrissey, Moran, Begley, even Dodge and Seanie O'Brien there than Breen, who really doesn't offer much more than someone to break ball inside- all his main strengths are more suited to playing deeper. He's not a particularly quick, fluent striker of a ball or a natural scorer, certainly not as good a goalscorer as those.

We might play with a 2-man inside line, maybe one of Reidy or Breen drifting out, I think Reidy might have played inside for Limerick U-21s? Although he has played deeper for most of his career, most recently at midfield for Mary I.

I'm a big fan of King at midfield, I like to see it tried, but he needs to make better use of the ball and needs a much better showing than down in Mallow.

That's nowhere near our strongest team so beating Waterford won't be easy at all. They'll certainly fancy themselves seeing us without Dowling, Downes, Mulcahy, Tobin, Jim-Bob, Paudie and with other players not in their natural positions.

Bit if a funny team really, the forwards make more sense if the plan is a 2 man full forward line, not sure why dodge and O' Mahoney have swapped positions? Only makes sense if dodge is at centre back...don't like Hannon on the wing, think he's more involved at no 11...hopefully we can beat waterford but may be a battle

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

There's still a bit of experimentation in this side without it being a weak-looking team. I think Breen is definitely worth a look at full-forward again, he has improved immeasurably in his fielding over the last two years and has the potential to cause havoc in there. He has popped up with goals on a few occasions too, contrary to what some have said. If we are going to look at the beanpole full-forward option, I think he has more to offer from general play than Begley. I don't think this will be his starting position come May (if he does start, he has too much to offer us at half-forward in my opinion), but he is certainly an option to rotate to 14 during a match and offer a different angle of attack. My other preference for full-forward would be Kevin Downes but it looks as though he will miss most of the league - I think at this point he will struggle to make the championship team.

Walsh getting another chance to stake a claim for the corner, Condon out at wing-back again. King gets another go at midfield, again I think this will bring on his hurling, for now it's good to get him on as much ball as possible. Bit disappointed Dan Morrissey doesn't start at wing-back. Also does anyone know the story with Tom Ryan, is he still injured? Another look at GO'M at centre forward and a chance to see what David Reidy can do as well, probably will be on free-taking duty? If he can stake a claim for a starting spot and proves reliable on frees, it puts pressure on Dowling for his place. Make no mistake this competition for places is very good for the team.

Looking forward to tomorrow night, hoping we get the League off to a positive start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Bit lightweight up front (in terms of proven scorers), three unproven players with good potential and O'Mahony an unknown quantity at CF at this level. We know what we'll get from David Breen, Hannon needs to take responsibility in this game, I hope Dowling will be involved at some stage. James Ryan will be missed.

Still think it's strong enough to win but Waterford will look at that XV and feel they have a very good opportunity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

As everyone has said good to see that there will be competition for places, still have concerns over the backs and waterford will think they have a great chance of turning us over, but so be it giving these lads a chance is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Lads, what would be a good pub down near the Gaelic Grounds that I could take in the Rugby before the match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Lads, what would be a good pub down near the Gaelic Grounds that I could take in the Rugby before the match?

Woodfield House Hotel about 100 yds from grounds towards city is a reasonable bet - plenty of TVs, bar food etc, and parking round the back if your early enough

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think I'll be in the Ardhu for the Ireland match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

A Limerick and France win would be unreal.

Game of two halves; in a nutshell, it's amazing the difference James Ryan makes. Much better once we brought him on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭shockframe

Game of two halves; in a nutshell, it's amazing the difference James Ryan makes. Much better once we brought him on.

Agreed. Jim Bob, Browne and Richie once again show their importance to Limerick.

What a player Jim-Bob is. Not sure if he was fully fit, but he turned that game around for us. Right up there with the best midfielders in the game for sure.

Gavin kept us in it in the first half, some beautiful striking. Browne impressive throughout. None of the other forwards really stood out at all, some good flashes.... first half display was very poor, very one-dimensional and Begley wasn't winning any clean ball bar in the very 1st minute. Everything was being broken to the Waterford backs.

Tadhg de Búrca was absolutely immense, cleaned us out.

Our backs were decent enough for the most part, some poor pass selection at times. Nicky as solid as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Well. Not sure if its deja vu or Groundhog Day but we are in same situation as last year.
    Can't afford anymore slipups now and score difference will probably come in to play.
    Plenty of work to be done but a lot of positives considering the key players who did not start tonight.

On the face of it, a disappointing result, but all of Dowling, Tobin, Mulcahy, Downes, Breen and Hannon were unavailable tonight. And it showed.

Niall Moran; on the evidence of tonights game it's very hard to justify his inclusion on the panel. Taken off after about 25 minutes, didn't really offer any threat.

Quaid; typical Quaid, made a vital clearance in the first half after a defensive mix up left us open.

Walsh; Top class.
    Richie; typical Richie, great point near the end that almost won it.
    Hickey; bit rusty but positive contribution overall.
    Dodge; average.

Wayne; Mixed.... needs to find form and consistency, otherwise we're going to have a big problem as the year goes on.
    TomCon; good, still getting used to the position but I feel the positional switch will pay off in the long run. Prone to hanging on to the ball a bit too long while soloing up the field only to run out of options. Got a good point and appears to enjoy a bit of freedom on the wing that he doesn't have in the corner.

Browne; Good, worked hard and chipped in with a few points. Much better when Ryan was on the pitch.
    King; Didn't look comfortable in midfield.
    Moran; Disappointing, needed him to stand up tonight given there were so many inexperienced players in the forwards.

O'Mahony; doesn't look a natural CF, but he did quite well overall, must have scored 5 or 6 points from play? Certainly did enough to justify continuing his selection at 11.
    Lynch; struggled a bit in the first half I felt, can't have been easy with so many inexperienced players around him but battled away. Improved in the second half, got a point, set up a few more, few nice touches and one brilliant pick up. Needs more games, excellent talent on our hands.

Reidy; Converted two penalties, did well enough overall to justify selection.
    Begley; Won us a penalty in the first minute, Waterford well on top of him thereafter. No point going with old the big man up front plan if the man can't actually catch the ball. Very much a work in progress.
    A.Breen; Didn't stand out for me, but wasn't the worst.

T.Morissey; showed promise, a few good catches and good movement. Like Lynch, needs game time.
    D.Morissey; looked comfortable.
    J.Ryan; Fantastic, changed the game completely. Tremendous work rate, himself and Browne work so well together.
    Fitzgibbon and SO'Brien also got a few minutes.

O'Mahony got man of the match; I feel McCarthy and Ryan were our standout performers but O'Mahony did well to be fair to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

O'Mahony was excellent at centre forward, he is going to cause management headaches as to where to place him come summer. He can win ball, run it, accurate point taker, good vision, great tackler -good attributes for an 11.

Dowling looks very fit.

Lynch had a spectacular pick run and pass off for a point (which was whistled back for free). He just does some outrageously good things. He'll be up to it for summer I reckon.

Dodge was poor at wing back. Woke up a bit at wing forward for a moment then was taken off. It's hard to see where he will fit into the team. Jimbob turned the game and our first team players like Browne, Gavin, condon, wayne and richie drove us back into the game. Walsh was also very good.

A few players exposed as not up to this level today I think. None of last year's forwards played today. Dowling or Hannon starting would have won us the game I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Cu Baire wrote: »
    Well. Not sure if its deja vu or Groundhog Day but we are in same situation as last year.
    Can't afford anymore slipups now and score difference will probably come in to play.
    Plenty of work to be done but a lot of positives considering the key players who did not start tonight.

There is nothing positive to be taken from that. Kilkenny showed how it could be done in Cork with a lot more missing than Limerick tonight. These kind of displays in division 1B do nothing for Limerick. They give Waterford a bit of impetus maybe and send out favorable signals to Wexford. It is a disaster of a result. See it for what it is.

There is nothing positive to be taken from that. Kilkenny showed how it could be done in Cork with a lot more missing than Limerick tonight. These kind of displays in division 1B do nothing for Limerick. They give Waterford a bit of impetus maybe and send out favorable signals to Wexford. It is a disaster of a result. See it for what it is.

Disagree completely. We have nowhere near the same depth as yourselves, it's not really fair to compare Limerick and Kilkenny in that respect, KK's strength in depth is well documented, and our lack of it has been our achilles heel. Not an ideal result but far from a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Some good posts lads, fair play.

Worryingly is the lack of goals from play yet again although we are missing a kot of our first choice forwards. Was our discipline atrocious? 9 points for waterford from frees?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Not a disaster by any means. See ye in the quarter final.
    The result in Cork will be put in perspective by Cork's results in remaining games. They are on a one way journey to 1B.

More of an in-depth look at the game from me. We started brilliantly, a goal inside a minute or so, Browne soon had us another point and I thought this is great, we're going to run riot. But Waterford outplayed us for the rest of the half, played much more intelligent hurling and were taking some lovely scores. We were getting walked through in the middle third, despite Browne playing pretty well. Our tactics were poor, our full-forward line were eaten alive, we were winning no ball from the puckouts and if it wasn't for the movement and scoring of Gavin, we would have been in serious trouble. As it was, he pretty much kept us in the game. Backs gave away a few soft frees aswell, although I'd say in general they were decent.

2nd half, Jim-Bob made an immediate impact and we were the better team, we slowly pulled back into the game. Still struggled to win much clean ball inside, but the work rate of Morrissey definitely helped and Reidy was more of a threat on the wing, I think. We started recycling the ball better and picking off scores, but still some of the decision-making was poor. Cian Lynch played a few passes inside to the full-forward line who were getting beaten, instead of having a go for a score... another time, Gavin was completely free on the left and he decided to drop a 50-50 ball on top of Begley instead of either firing it over, or running towards goal himself. Madness... when you are unmarked, don't drop a hopeful ball straight down on top of a forward who is being beaten... run towards goal, create an overlap or take a score yourself. Reidy absolutely buried the 2nd penalty and I thought we were going to win it... scores did kinda slow up, but Richie scored a monster score but some slightly slack defending allowed Waterford to recycle a poor enough sideline cut and Prendergast was always going to slot once he got it. I think a win for us would have been harsh on Waterford, but it was in our hands and we let it slip at the same time... can't afford any more mistakes.

Quaid- Very very solid, one or two great interventions... didn't have a lot to aim at for puckouts tbh.

Walsh- Was good, once or twice he was caught a bit behind his man but he is a pretty solid man marker.
    Richie- Had the better of his man for most of the game.
    Hickey- Conceded a few silly frees but was in general good. Wouldn't be too worried.

Dodge- I thought he was fine at wing-back tbh. Uses the ball well for the most part.
    Wayne- Mostly very good but still infuriating at times. Couple of times he took a big wild swing and got hooked, when he just needed to get rid of it. He did make a lot of interceptions though and set up Gavin nicely a couple of times.
    Condon- Was very good imo, I think wing-back suits him. A few rampaging runs, a nice point and mostly strong defending. Terrier-like.

King- I've been an advocate for him at midfield, but it's just not happening. He was nowhere to be seen as Waterford walked through us in midfield. Disappointing.
    Browne- He was good. Kept going throughout, scored 0-4 which was vital for us when our forwards weren't on fire and grew more into the game when Jim-Bob came on.

Moran- Never in the game really. Looked disconsolate at half-time... not sure he has what it takes anymore.
    Gavin- I really like him at half-forward, I must say; he works really hard, he's great at moving into space and he's well able to score. 0-5 from play today and without him, we'd have lost. I'd like to see him tried on the wing to see how he goes there but I'd be well up for keeping him in the forwards with that kind of firepower.
    Lynch- He wasn't close to his best. Don't think he won a single high ball, and was coming out second best in rucks and was being pushed around a bit. A lovely snapshot point, few lovely flicks to set teammates up and he did come more into the game in the 2nd half. Just needs more time to adapt to the higher level, I think. Quite unselfish today, maybe he just needs to shoot when free more.

Reidy- Started in the corner, clearly not a corner-forward. Broke a few balls well. Did more out on the wing, and then was moved back in to full-forward. Caught one beautiful ball out on the wing. Scored 2 penalties but didn't score from play, maybe should have. Looks decent though.
    Begley- Won the penalty early on after a great catch but won nothing else really... not sure he's good enough. If Dowling was there, we'd have won. Coughlan isn't the greatest full-back in the world but he came to grips with Begley way too easily.
    Breen- Struggled imo... scored one nice point, worked hard but couldn't get much clean ball into his hand and when he did, he took the wrong option too often. Willing to persevere with him, but probably needs to work off more experienced forwards.

Tom Morrissey- Didn't get a touch of the ball in the first half after coming on for Moran, but did make a few good catches in the second. Seemed to get fouled a few times when it wasn't called, but worked very hard and made life difficult for defenders. More impressive than Breen, Begley or Moran anyway.
    Ryan- Turned the game, dragged us back into it. Class act, always in support, always uses the ball well... wouldn't swap him for anyone.
    Dan Morrissey- Looked pretty good when coming on. Seemed calm in possession and used it well.
    Seanie O'Brien- Got a run after Condon picked up a knock... went on one decent run.
    John Fitzgibbon- Not sure if he touched the ball at all tbh.

Likely to come to scoring difference, and we have to beat Wexford now... think we needed 2 points tbh but at least it's kinda in our own hands now.

• Advertisement

Fairly stupid post there. Plenty of positives to take from the game.

Browney7 wrote: »

Worryingly is the lack of goals from play yet again although we are missing a kot of our first choice forwards. Was our discipline atrocious? 9 points for waterford from frees?

We could put out two full forward lines stronger than today's. No starting forward from last year. And only two of the 6 from today will start come summer, and one of those may be back wing back.

It wasn't a great performance, but we will have learned from it... some of those players won't be seen much more, others needed a tough challenge like today. We had a lot of big name players playing, but our forward line was ripped apart... I would have loved to see Reidy or Lynch take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate but cohesion plays a big part too.

It's not a good result, not a disaster though. On paper, there is a strong argument to be made that Waterford's starting fifteen was as good as ours. Obviously KK had a much weaker team on paper than Cork, but is that more of a reflection of Cork than KK?

Browney7 wrote: »

We did give away a few very soft frees, Waterford certainly weren't as lax although they gave away 2 penalties. Mahony is deadly accurate too... we were under quite a bit of pressure in the first half, in particular, I think our inability to win ball in the forward line and King really struggled to stop them walking through us. Frees came as a result of pressure.

The goals thing is a slight worry... we didn't really have any proper goal chances at all. We scored a lot of points from outside the '45... the inside forwards couldn't get their hands on the ball, hard to score goals in that case. Waterford only had 1 real chance themselves which they fcuked up, which is a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

You do realise it was Waterford Limerick were playing today, not Westmeath ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Don't think it's as bad a result as some people think it's always was going to be a three way battle between Waterford, Wexford and limerick, all on the back of decent under age setups, laois have three home games this year too and will fight like dog's up in portlaois, they could disrupt the progress of one of the three mentioned, really expected limerick to see the game out late on after taking the lead, I would expect that to be the main gripe with most people ,Waterford have to go to wexford, where is the limerick wexford game set for,

Don't think it's as bad a result as some people think it's always was going to be a three way battle between Waterford, Wexford and limerick, all on the back of decent under age setups, laois have three home games this year too and will fight like dog's up in portlaois, they could disrupt the progress of one of the three mentioned, really expected limerick to see the game out late on after taking the lead, I would expect that to be the main gripe with most people ,Waterford have to go to wexford, where is the limerick wexford game set for,

The late equaliser was kind of frustrating alright, seemed to take our eye off the ball a bit. More annoying for me was after our 2nd goal, we had a good bit of momentum, but then seemed to relax and Waterford got the next couple of scores.

We have to go to Wexford Park aswell, will be a tough battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

laois beaten tonight withboth wexford and waterford to go to tullamore offaly could be dark horses here. limerick should beat them at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Have you absolutely no idea what you are talking about? Waterford have been a Division 1A team for god knows how long. Limerick are 1B since 2010. Look, I'd have had Limerick favourites but Waterford were targeting this game. Wed a disaster of a year last year, but there's far more hurling in the county than that.

We played 11 games, 7 against County opposition in preparation for this game. People act like Waterford are the paupers of hurling, going on for the last 10 years absolutely sick of it. We should have won today, and that is not the shock its made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Just looking for a reaction as usual. Seems to only follow Kilkenny hurling and give very little knowledgeable input on any other team. How is drawing to Waterford a disaster? Do you even know who they are?

As mentioned, a draw was probably a fair result but they were there for the taking. Dodge isn't a wing back, Wayne Mac will struggle at centre back against better teams and i have to say, O'Mahony surprised me. Played very well and only 1 wide from him from play I think.

Unfortunately the new players were out of their depth. I can't see Reidy, Adrian Breen, King or Begley making it anyway. Hope I'm wrong but I've seen these type of players too often to know they'll go down the same road as them. Gives other players coming into the squad a bit of motivation knowing there's places up for grabs especially with all the absentees. Its a pity Tom Ryan wasn't available. I do think he'll make it providing he stays fit.

• Advertisement

A bit more annoyed today than I was last night, really should have won it. Despite all the absentees and a shaky first half performance we entered the closing stages in the lead.

Both teams can say they left it behind them, draw fair result overall.

Tough trip all the way up to Ballycastle next weekend, hopefully we can bolster the scoring difference but won't be as straightforward as we'd like. Antrim have had the benefit of preparing with a full squad as Cushendall did not make it beyond the Ulster final. Their Walsh Cup campaign doesn't suggest anything we should be overly worried about.

Small ground, up on the coast so should be rather windy, unlike Casement that part of Antrim is the hurling stronghold of the county, most the big clubs nearby, so could be an interesting atmosphere. Still expect the win but won't be the hammering our scoring difference could do with.

I wonder will O'Mahony still be available? I'd imagine Hannon, Breen and Dowling should be okay for next weekend so we mightn't need him.

Were it up to me, I'd go with the following next weekend;
    Quaid; Walsh, McCarthy, Hickey; DMorissey, McNamara, Condon; Browne, Ryan; O'Grady, Hannon, Lynch; Dowling, DBreen, TMorissey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement