Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Colemania wrote: »
    Unfortunately the new players were out of their depth. I can't see Reidy, Adrian Breen, King or Begley making it anyway. Hope I'm wrong but I've seen these type of players too often to know they'll go down the same road as them. Gives other players coming into the squad a bit of motivation knowing there's places up for grabs especially with all the absentees. Its a pity Tom Ryan wasn't available. I do think he'll make it providing he stays fit.

Harsh enough on Reidy, I think... I'd like to see him get a run at half-forward before making a firm decision. King maybe at corner-back, but doesn't look to be up to it at midfield, sadly. Adrian Breen struggles to get his hands on the ball at a higher level... guilty of some poor decisions too. He is dangerous but I can't see him being a starter ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

A bit more annoyed today than I was last night, really should have won it. Despite all the absentees and a shaky first half performance we entered the closing stages in the lead.

Both teams can say they left it behind them, draw fair result overall.

Tough trip all the way up to Ballycastle next weekend, hopefully we can bolster the scoring difference but won't be as straightforward as we'd like. Antrim have had the benefit of preparing with a full squad as Cushendall did not make it beyond the Ulster final. Their Walsh Cup campaign doesn't suggest anything we should be overly worried about.

Small ground, up on the coast so should be rather windy, unlike Casement that part of Antrim is the hurling stronghold of the county, most the big clubs nearby, so could be an interesting atmosphere. Still expect the win but won't be the hammering our scoring difference could do with.

I wonder will O'Mahony still be available? I'd imagine Hannon, Breen and Dowling should be okay for next weekend so we mightn't need him.

Were it up to me, I'd go with the following next weekend;
    Quaid; Walsh, McCarthy, Hickey; DMorissey, McNamara, Condon; Browne, Ryan; O'Grady, Hannon, Lynch; Dowling, DBreen, TMorissey.

I think I'm less annoyed. Breen and Hannon were big losses and we went out with a very stitched together forward line. If we'd had both, or even one of Breen or Hannon starting it's arguable we would have had a couple more scores and won. A draw wasn't a bad result and if we win all our remaining games we can still get promotion.

Antrim giving Wexford a decent game so far, were level a few minutes ago, Wexford 3 up at the break, I think.

I didn't think wayne was as bad as all that last night. If he is replaced at 6 he should move to 5. We know what we will get from him, question is whether we have anyone better. I don't think so. Morrissey hasn't set the world on fire yet but i'd like to see more of him. I still think hickey would excellent at 6 but management have him firmly nailed on corner back now (uncharacteristically rusty last night). Dodge might be an option, it's the only place I can see him starting at the moment, I don't think theres room for him at half forward (lynch, Hannon, Gavin, Breen, downes). Also, dodge has had poor leagues before but been excellent again for summer -but he's 34 now... We also need two wing backs if Gavin is moved. Not fully convinced by condon yet, he is more likely to try for the booming clearance or to try run the length of the field than get the head up and find a pass to midfield like o'mahony, but he was good yesterday. I'd like to see O'Donnell added in. Bryan O'Sullivan too. Breen won't be moved back. Tom Ryan gone again. We're running out of potential half backs. Try Quaid? That line is a worry.

Sean o'brien looks like the extent of our full back line cover. Good player but it makes dropping Dempsey and carmody look more strange now. Can't see why king isn't tried back there, he actually had a very good start to the game yesterday before fading out completely.

Dowling is full forward. Downes is second. If we are looking at begley for the last 10 then we are in trouble as it would be a desperation move.

Reidy and Tom Morrissey are worth persisting with in the forwards and could be decent impact subs come summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Wayne Mc was awful last night, poor decision making, poor striking, not commanding the centre.
    That foul he conceded with a one handed pull over on the far sideline with one hand late in the game at a vital stage of the match summed him up.

We've very few options for centre back, the last two games in the WCC we'd a soon to be 35 year old DOG manning the centre.
    Think the selectors have to start looking at Hannon, Breen ( :o ), Condon at the position. It's the single biggest worry I have over the starting XV. It needs to be sorted out asap.

• Advertisement

Wexford have had 14 men for a long part of their game but have still been leading comfortably. Antrim have rattled off the last 3 points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

Anyone know what is the story with Thomas Ryan? Is it injury or what?

Antrim are now winning! Just scored 1-2 in the last 2 or 3 minutes. 1-06 without reply.

Wexford won by a point in the end... if it comes down to points difference with them, which it probably won't, that's a bonus. If Antrim had managed to sneak it, would have been a big bonus for us though.

But it shows that Antrim aren't to be taken lightly... we are supposed to be running up a big score, but if they can do that in Wexford Park, they'll be a big threat up in Ballycastle.

francozola wrote: »
    Wayne Mc was awful last night, poor decision making, poor striking, not commanding the centre.
    That foul he conceded with a one handed pull over on the far sideline with one hand late in the game at a vital stage of the match summed him up.

We've very few options for centre back, the last two games in the WCC we'd a soon to be 35 year old DOG manning the centre.
    Think the selectors have to start looking at Hannon, Breen ( :o ), Condon at the position. It's the single biggest worry I have over the starting XV. It needs to be sorted out asap.

None of the three of them will do. Hickey, Quaid, or maybe Morrissey for me. Like I said, we need to establish two wing backs too. That entire line is up for grabs right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Hickey is a liability any further out the field - corner back is the only position for him.
    Quaid showed his worth last night in goals with those two interventions.
    Morrissey could be an option but doesn't strike me as a commanding, stylish player you need to be to play centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Disappointing not to win after Richie had sent over an absolute boomer late on, but I'd have taken the draw at half-time. Have to look at it in the context of the team we put out. Out of the six forwards that lined out, I would have to say only Gavin O'Mahoney looked like a starter. Either of Hannon or Breen, who were named to start, would have made a big difference, as for long periods of the game we simply could not win ball in the forwards. TJ saw changes needed to be made, I'd say James Ryan was nowhere near fully fit last night but made a massive difference last night when he came on as Waterford were running as they liked through midfield in the first half.

Stephen Walsh had a superb game, looks in line to start at the moment. I would rest Richie for some of the games and play Stephen full and try out another corner-back to strengthen the options, particularly if there is a chance English/Carmody/Dempsey are called back into the squad.

Of what I've seen so far this year, Morrissey, McNamara, Condon looks like the strongest half-back line played so far.

Paul Browne & James Ryan very much the best midfield pairing. I saw somewhere that Tom Ryan isn't still on the panel, hopefully just out for injury at the time-being as he would provide a great option across the three middle lines, better than King.

Gavin O'Mahoney had a very good first half and has to be seriously considered for a starting spot in the half-forward line. Getting into the right position to pick off scores he kept us in it in the first half, can compete in the air as well. I don't think he necessarily has to play at 11 and you could see a GOM/Hannon/Breen half-forward line. Cian Lynch & Tom Morrissey showed flashes, Cian pulled off an outlandish pickup using his foot at one stage - the skill, particularly with Lynch, is evident in spades. Reidy buried two penalties, no mean feat considering the conversion rate since the new rules came in, and he made an immediate impact once moved out to the half-forward line after Niall Moran was hooked.

Wexford barely scraped past Antrim so it looks like the division could end up being a lot closer than most anticipated. Hopefully some of the forwards start coming back over the past few weeks as we can't afford dropping points again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Maybe too harsh on Reidy but I stand by what I said in that he won't make it. I do think that some on here are too easy on Limerick though which is possibly a bit of bias. Great posters here in fairness but how people can say Wayne Mac was grand at centreback is beyond me.

Maybe too harsh on Reidy but I stand by what I said in that he won't make it. I do think that some on here are too easy on Limerick though which is possibly a bit of bias. Great posters here in fairness but how people can say Wayne Mac was grand at centreback is beyond me.

I'm not sure there's a better option, certainly not one that has been tried. From what I have seen in the last two games I'm not sure O'Grady is up to the task in the half-back line. Quaid seems set for goals, Hickey will bring many of the same errors to the position and besides was probably the best corner-back in the country last year. You are looking outside the box beyond that for a replacement.

I'd need to watch the first half again, but once James Ryan stopped Waterford cantering through midfield as they liked, the half-back line as a whole improved immeasurably.

I wouldn't have Wayne starting at 6 in the Championship, but I'm not sure Dodge is the answer either. Dodge can certainly hold the middle but you can't really afford to stand off your man and let him pick scores at will either. If Murphy hadn't been playing Fitz or Hennessey hadn't been playing for Kilmallock, Quaid would have been tried and he is probably the best balance between the two, although he does lack pace.

The whole half-back line in general is still a problem. Maybe Condon to centre-back? But he can overplay the ball at times too.

I'm not sure there's a better option, certainly not one that has been tried. From what I have seen in the last two games I'm not sure O'Grady is up to the task in the half-back line. Quaid seems set for goals, Hickey will bring many of the same errors to the position and besides was probably the best corner-back in the country last year. You are looking outside the box beyond that for a replacement.

I'd need to watch the first half again, but once James Ryan stopped Waterford cantering through midfield as they liked, the half-back line as a whole improved immeasurably.

Dodge is a better centre back albeit not as mobile. You can't move hickey alright but would be a good option at centreback. As a good complaint, it's a pity Ryan and Browne are so settled in midfield as that's where I'd like to see Paudie O'Brien when he's back. Can't see him at half back but who knows what position o'mahony will end up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

have the same concerns over half back line

francozola wrote: »
    Hickey is a liability any further out the field - corner back is the only position for him.
    Quaid showed his worth last night in goals with those two interventions.
    Morrissey could be an option but doesn't strike me as a commanding, stylish player you need to be to play centre back.

It's a matter of opinion but I disagree. It's not long ago people were saying he couldn't play corner back any more as he was too loose. I don't doubt he could play 6. He is strong, fast, an incredible fielder of the ball, a brilliant tackler, and brilliant at attacking the ball full at full speed. His hurling last summer was practically immaculate.

I think Wayne Hickey Gavin would be the best half back line we could potentially put out but we won't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

It's a matter of opinion but I disagree. It's not long ago people were saying he couldn't play corner back any more as he was too loose. I don't doubt he could play 6. He is strong, fast, an incredible fielder of the ball, a brilliant tackler, and brilliant at attacking the ball full at full speed. His hurling last summer was practically immaculate.

I think Wayne Hickey Gavin would be the best half back line we could potentially put out but we won't see it.

Honestly the way Limerick supporters talk about their players being brilliant an all that, ye havnt won anything yet. Scarcely deserved a draw from Waterford last night.

As long as tipp and kk are around in September Limerick won't win an all ireland for next few yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

pat 22 wrote: »
    Honestly the way Limerick supporters talk about their players being brilliant an all that, ye havnt won anything yet. Scarcely deserved a draw from Waterford last night.

As long as tipp and kk are around in September Limerick won't win an all ireland for next few yrs

Hickey was quality last year as evidenced by his all star. Would you dispute he wasn't one of the two best corner backs in the country. We're well aware the last time we won Liam, DeValera was president.

A few people have pointed out on numerous occasions in the last two pages FFS that they have concerns over 6 and pretty much all the forwards we put out on Saturday.

On what championship evidence over the past two seasons would Tipp come between us and an all ireland? KK and Cody in fairness to them are a class apart no disputing that and we didn't beat them when the game was there to be won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Disappointing not to win after Richie had sent over an absolute boomer late on, but I'd have taken the draw at half-time. Have to look at it in the context of the team we put out. Out of the six forwards that lined out, I would have to say only Gavin O'Mahoney looked like a starter. Either of Hannon or Breen, who were named to start, would have made a big difference, as for long periods of the game we simply could not win ball in the forwards. TJ saw changes needed to be made, I'd say James Ryan was nowhere near fully fit last night but made a massive difference last night when he came on as Waterford were running as they liked through midfield in the first half.

Stephen Walsh had a superb game, looks in line to start at the moment. I would rest Richie for some of the games and play Stephen full and try out another corner-back to strengthen the options, particularly if there is a chance English/Carmody/Dempsey are called back into the squad.

Of what I've seen so far this year, Morrissey, McNamara, Condon looks like the strongest half-back line played so far.

Paul Browne & James Ryan very much the best midfield pairing. I saw somewhere that Tom Ryan isn't still on the panel, hopefully just out for injury at the time-being as he would provide a great option across the three middle lines, better than King.

Gavin O'Mahoney had a very good first half and has to be seriously considered for a starting spot in the half-forward line. Getting into the right position to pick off scores he kept us in it in the first half, can compete in the air as well. I don't think he necessarily has to play at 11 and you could see a GOM/Hannon/Breen half-forward line. Cian Lynch & Tom Morrissey showed flashes, Cian pulled off an outlandish pickup using his foot at one stage - the skill, particularly with Lynch, is evident in spades. Reidy buried two penalties, no mean feat considering the conversion rate since the new rules came in, and he made an immediate impact once moved out to the half-forward line after Niall Moran was hooked.

Wexford barely scraped past Antrim so it looks like the division could end up being a lot closer than most anticipated. Hopefully some of the forwards start coming back over the past few weeks as we can't afford dropping points again.
    On first sight seems dissapointing to draw, but considering the absentees and the first half they ground it out pretty well...looks like Niall Moran and Cathal King have played themselves out of contention, still would like to see King as a corner back option. Waterford scored an awful lot of points in thd first half which would be a concern for our midfield/half backs, Reidy done well to stick the two penalties, think he should be given time, Cian lynch will learn from that game, but should be used sparingly, gavin had a fine game at centre forward and showed great point getting ability, if he can make that sort of space for himself in bigger games could be a real addition to the half forward line, full forward line is a concern, pat Begley is not going to do it in the big games and Adrian Breen is inconsistent, they need a good win against Antrim next week, still think promotion is in limericks hands as feel Wexford/waterford will slip up along the way, being younger and less experienced...

That's a good point pat, good man.

I think our players are the best ever, they're brilliant altogether, we'll probably win the next 5 all Ireland's the way we are going, Wayne McNamara being lined up for a cup to be named after... Is it that sort of talk you don't like?

What is the story with those returning from injury/illness? Is there a possibility that Hannon, Dowling, James Ryan and David Breen would all be available for selection next week? How bad is Tom Condon's knock? Will Gavin O'Mahoney be available for one more weekend? We're stupidly low on numbers at the minute, which makes the cull prior to the Waterford Crystal even more frustrating.

Taking that some of the 5 above will be available, I'd look at the following:

Rest Richie, let Stephen Walsh play at 3 and try Seanie O'Brien (our only corner-back sub, it appears) in the corner.

I'm not convinced by the Hannon-to-6 argument, but if he is available this weekend and we have Dowling + David Breen back, there is probably no better time to try it.

I think the Begley experiment has run its course, so I would like to see a deviation from the lump-ball-on-top-of-the-full-forward line gameplan. From a half-back & midfield point of view we need to figure out how to get the ball to the wings and spaces in front of the corner forwards. I presume Adrian Breen & Morrissey will be playing in the corners next weekend, lets see what they can do when we play to their strengths rather than Begley's.

What is the story with those returning from injury/illness? Is there a possibility that Hannon, Dowling, James Ryan and David Breen would all be available for selection next week? How bad is Tom Condon's knock? Will Gavin O'Mahoney be available for one more weekend? We're stupidly low on numbers at the minute, which makes the cull prior to the Waterford Crystal even more frustrating.

Rest Richie, let Stephen Walsh play at 3 and try Seanie O'Brien (our only corner-back sub, it appears) in the corner.

I'm not convinced by the Hannon-to-6 argument, but if he is available this weekend and we have Dowling + David Breen back, there is probably no better time to try it.

I think the Begley experiment has run its course, so I would like to see a deviation from the lump-ball-on-top-of-the-full-forward line gameplan. From a half-back & midfield point of view we need to figure out how to get the ball to the wings and spaces in front of the corner forwards. I presume Adrian Breen & Morrissey will be playing in the corners next weekend, lets see what they can do when we play to their strengths rather than Begley's.
    I don't know if Stephen has much hurling done at full back? Certainly we are down corner backs, so much so if we get an injury it would mean possibly bringing a wing back to corner back, thereby disrupting two lines rather than having a like for like replacement on the bench...need to be trying king and/or sob at corner back
    Agree, We should be aiming for a more varied game plan than putting the big man in full forward which selecting David Breen and Pa Begley is amounting to, maybe it's a function of the absenses etc. but if that is the extent of our plans to get more goals then I'd worry for us later in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Why change 2 positions to try out one player? Rest one of the cornerbacks and play your sub there in his place. One change at a time please in the last line of defence unless enforced by unavailability.

I don't know if walsh has ever played full back, def not for limerick anyway. He's just after getting back in the team, let Walsh get a run of games at corner back. I also think he may be a bit small for full back. The back up full back is condon if anything ever happens richie imo, or maybe Phillip O'Loughlin from Kilmallock. To try Seanie (or king) out I would shift hickey to 6 and leave richie and walsh where they are.

Breen pulled up in training last week, he's close to being back. Dowling was ill recently also close to being back. Next week may come too soon for them though. Hannon got a knock playing for Mary I i think, don't think it's serious. Again, don't know will next week be too soon. I presume Gavin will be gone back to Kilmallock, having caught up on game time.

Is Murphy back? Could look at Quaid outfield if so.

I'd like to see both Quaid and hickey seriously looked at at half back but I don't think either will be moved.

Reidy should be left out wing forward for a few games, he did alright when moved out.

I don't know if walsh has ever played full back, def not for limerick anyway. He's just after getting back in the team, let Walsh get a run of games at corner back. I also think he may be a bit small for full back. The back up full back is condon if anything ever happens richie imo, or maybe Phillip O'Loughlin from Kilmallock. To try Seanie (or king) out I would shift hickey to 6 and leave richie and walsh where they are.

Breen pulled up in training last week, he's close to being back. Dowling was ill recently also close to being back. Next week may come too soon for them though. Hannon got a knock playing for Mary I i think, don't think it's serious. Again, don't know will next week be too soon. I presume Gavin will be gone back to Kilmallock, having caught up on game time.

Is Murphy back? Could look at Quaid outfield if so.

I'd like to see both Quaid and hickey seriously looked at at half back but I don't think either will be moved.

Reidy should be left out wing forward for a few games, he did alright when moved out.

Murphy was on the bench on Saturday and warming up but as you said, I can't see Quaid ever being moved. It's rare you see a keeper at this level being moved outfield which is a pity seeing as Limerick always have great goalkeepers.

Dowling collapsed at training last week so I was told so I hope he's ok. I don't think they'll risk him this weekend anyway.

How would Dan Morrissey fare at centre back you think? Could test him out against Antrim albeit he'd need a test against the likes of Wexford also. It'd be great to see Hickey get a chance there but I'd be hesitant to move him from corner back after making that position his own last year. Walsh had a great game against Waterford so again, unless there's an injury or TJ feels Hickey or Walsh need a break for some reason or other, I can't see Seanie O'Brien getting a start unfortunately.

I'm expecting the like of A. Breen and Reidy to be given another shot this weekend and they must improve on their showing at the weekend (improve from play in Reidy's case). I'd like to see Tom Morrissey get a start also. Class act and he's going to be a super player for us for the next 10-15 years. Maybe needs to work on his work rate a small bit but he's well capable of putting in the hard graft as we saw with the minors last year.

My reasoning for trying Stephen Walsh at full is he appears to have the most aptitude in his play for the position, an awareness of where the other players around him are and his instinct is to always keep himself goal side of the opposing player. He is an out-and-out full-back line player. We've moved Condon; many felt last year he was too inclined to always go gung-ho for the ball and he is now enjoying more freedom on the wing. I agree Condon has more experience in the position, he was excellent in the 2011 league final there when moved on Honan and also played there for a run of games in the league in 2012 I think, however I think Walsh would be a better fit for the position than Tom should, god forbid, anything happen Richie.

• Advertisement

Murphy was on the bench on Saturday and warming up but as you said, I can't see Quaid ever being moved. It's rare you see a keeper at this level being moved outfield which is a pity seeing as Limerick always have great goalkeepers.

Dowling collapsed at training last week so I was told so I hope he's ok. I don't think they'll risk him this weekend anyway.

How would Dan Morrissey fare at centre back you think? Could test him out against Antrim albeit he'd need a test against the likes of Wexford also. It'd be great to see Hickey get a chance there but I'd be hesitant to move him from corner back after making that position his own last year. Walsh had a great game against Waterford so again, unless there's an injury or TJ feels Hickey or Walsh need a break for some reason or other, I can't see Seanie O'Brien getting a start unfortunately.

I'm expecting the like of A. Breen and Reidy to be given another shot this weekend and they must improve on their showing at the weekend (improve from play in Reidy's case). I'd like to see Tom Morrissey get a start also. Class act and he's going to be a super player for us for the next 10-15 years. Maybe needs to work on his work rate a small bit but he's well capable of putting in the hard graft as we saw with the minors last year.

More or less right on Dowling but he's nearly right again and was on the sideline Saturday, though not available to to play.

Morrissey played a good bit at 6 for UL but I never saw him play with them. I'd like to see him start at 5 or 6 for a few games. He's a good player, I havent seen anything to think he'd over take wayne for summer just yet though. He's one of the guys with potential to break through and should get a run of games now while we're missing players.

I also hope the younger Morrissey starts corner forward this weekend. I think he has more potential to have an impact this summer than Breen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement