Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Dan plays centre-back for Ahane, played centre-back for the U-21s last year and has also played full-back, midfield and centre-forward for Limerick at underage levels. I think centre-back is possibly his best position but it is a big step up to county level. I would say he'd have to nail down a wing spot before being given a go at 6.

I definitely would have Richie English at full-back ahead of those others named, I hope he is added to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

We definitely need to find one exceptional hurler for that half back, whether it be hickey, hannon or some young fella we need to strenghten it, crucial we sort it out during league

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Dowling collapsed at training last week so I was told so I hope he's ok. I don't think they'll risk him this weekend anyway[/QUOTE]

Collapsed ??? what the hell ! is he ok?

there's a bitch of a flu going around, I hope it was nothing more than that? has anyone any clarification?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Dan plays centre-back for Ahane, played centre-back for the U-21s last year and has also played full-back, midfield and centre-forward for Limerick at underage levels. I think centre-back is possibly his best position but it is a big step up to county level. I would say he'd have to nail down a wing spot before being given a go at 6.

I definitely would have Richie English at full-back ahead of those others named, I hope he is added to the squad.

Diarmuid Byrnes played 6 for the 21s last year. Morrissey and Carmody were on the wings. Isn't english still in school?
    N20 wrote: »
    Dowling collapsed at training last week so I was told so I hope he's ok. I don't think they'll risk him this weekend anyway

Collapsed ??? what the hell ! is he ok?

there's a bitch of a flu going around, I hope it was nothing more than that? has anyone any clarification?[/quote]

A virus, he's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Niall Moran has put in deadly service to Limerick GAA but I think it's time to end it. The man is clearly only coming back because he wants some medals and he's not nearly good enough to be on the bench. He was woeful against Waterford on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Niall Moran has put in deadly service to Limerick GAA but I think it's time to end it. The man is clearly only coming back because he wants some medals and he's not nearly good enough to be on the bench. He was woeful against Waterford on Saturday.

While I agree that he should no longer be on the panel, that bit in bold is not true. Management approached him (not the other way round) last year owing to concerns over lack of depth in the squad and he was retained in the panel on the back of some very good performances for Ahane in the county championship. By all means question his ability but unfair to question his motives.

So O'Mahony recalled by Kilmallock, but on the plus side Hannon, Dowling and Breen aren't long term absences and could make it for the weekend.

But; Mary I reinstated to the Fitzgibbon Cup so Hannon and David Reidy are far from certain to be available. Interesting to see the selections from 10 to 15 for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

So O'Mahony recalled by Kilmallock, but on the plus side Hannon, Dowling and Breen aren't long term absences and could make it for the weekend.

But; Mary I reinstated to the Fitzgibbon Cup so Hannon and David Reidy are far from certain to be available. Interesting to see the selections from 10 to 15 for Sunday.

It'll be more a question of having enough bodies to fill jersies 10-15 than actual selection. Pretty serious issue when we're heading up to Antrim after the rattle they gave wexford last week, they'll fancy this game as a good chance to take a scalp and that'd be our league promotion prospects done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

With the threadbare panel we have, it think it will be a massive achievement to secure promotion. Forwards-wise we are ridiculously weak at the moment, some promise alright with Lynch, Morrissey and Reidy, but very little in the way of experience at this level.

Jimbob will nearly have to go CF for this one, Antrim wont be quaking in their boots if hannon and reidy are out. Who'd be on frees then Richie!!!!!????

• Advertisement

At this stage I think we have to go as strong as possible from 1 to 9, only change I'd make from 1 to 7 is to start D.Morissey and move O'Grady up to where he played last year.

We'll surely have D.Breen and Dowling back? Add Lynch and two others to Dowling, D.Breen and O'Grady and there's a good mix there. I'd go with A.Breen and Morissey but management may view this as in ideal test for Begley. Given the lack of certainty on who will be available you can't rule out Moran either.

Worst case scenario; start with TO'Brien, Moran, Lynch, TMorissey, Begley, ABreen.
    Best case scenario; DBreen and Dowling fit. Hannon and Reidy available after playing two days previous.

O'Grady and Ryan on standby for forward duty!

Not ideal at all considering it's likely to come to points difference. No guarantee we'll win the match either, although you'd hope so.

Tommy O'Brien would probably be on free-taking duties if everyone else is out, with John Fitzgibbon also a possibility. Actually, Fitzgibbon seems preferred to O'Brien at this stage.

Could always give Seanie O'Brien a go in the forwards, but he's also playing Fitzgibbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Some of the college lads will have to play against Antrim. Don't think we'll be able to field a decent team otherwise and we can't afford to slip up at this early stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

IT Carlow reinstated back into the Fitzgibbon after winning their appeal so looks like Hannon and Reidy will be available after all.

Colemania wrote: »
    IT Carlow reinstated back into the Fitzgibbon after winning their appeal so looks like Hannon and Reidy will be available after all.

Good stuff, should be enough to give us the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Good stuff, should be enough to give us the win.

Understand that it's good from Limerick senior point of view but would have liked to see Mary I in the Fitzgibbon - great for the college and would have been great for Limerick to have all 3 colleges qualify.

Great servant and good county player. Not talking him down when I say he was one of the best club hurlers I've ever seen when he put his mind to it. Could win a game for Ahane single handedly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Bit if a waste having him back in and now retiring after season has started

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

sasta le wrote: »

Think he explained all that in the article if you read it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Bit if a waste alright, it deprived one if the younger brigade of a spot for preseason training and experience of being in the panel setup...hopefully TJ brings in someone to replace him...fair play to him though was quite honest in his statement that he didn't feel physically up to it and better to call time now than be hanging onto place 29 or 30 in the panel...hopefully he's interested in coaching limerick underage as he has great experience from ard scoil..,

He did look really disconsolate when he came off against Waterford... I'm not sure he should ever have been included but to be fair to TJ, we're not exactly blessed with forwards who would have been available during the Fitzgibbon- particularly with the injuries to fringe players like John Fitzgibbon. Someone like Dean Coleman who is just out of school is all I can really think of, or Willie Griffin or the likes of Tomm Quaid, Mikey Ryan, etc. who have been on the panel and left off.

Still, a great servant to Limerick. All the best to him, hope we see him train some Limerick underage teams in the near future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Where's your man mike fits these days

Think he'll do great things as a coach, best of luck to him.

Think he'll do great things as a coach, best of luck to him.

He could definitely do good things - some good success so far. Although, not a given - tactically Ard Scoil got it wrong in Harty against Rochestown this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Was magnificent against Clare in 2012, probably his best day in a green jersey. Had a wonderful knack for missing seemingly simple shots only to drive impossible, over-the-shoulder attempts straight over the black spot from way out near the sideline. A rare breed. All the best and I agree - a bright future ahead in coaching.

Was magnificent against Clare in 2012, probably his best day in a green jersey. Had a wonderful knack for missing seemingly simple shots only to drive impossible, over-the-shoulder attempts straight over the black spot from way out near the sideline. A rare breed. All the best and I agree - a bright future ahead in coaching.

He was class that day, his aerial ability alone caused Clare massive problems. He was a very frustrating player, as you say... when he was on a bad day, he could be bloody awful. But he had huge talent, on a good day, he could score from anywhere. Scored a lot against Tipp in 2007 in the 2nd replay too.

He is only 31... I mean, technically there is no real reason why he couldn't go for a few more years, it's not as if pace was ever a big part of his game. But if he's struggling to keep up in training, I suppose the long years of service could kick in. A bit of a pity that the year he was playing his best club hurling was probably 2010 and the strike got rid of any chance of him bringing that form to the county scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

+1

?

Still hurling away for Doon (club captain) and performing to a decent standard at club level. Brought on as a sub for Limerick intermediates last year and scored a few points if I recall correctly. Not senior county standard however.

Strange one him, did an awful lot of gym work after the '07 final and was very top heavy when he returned, didn't have the same mobility anymore and unfortunately had a lot of injury issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

FFS it's mid february and only one league match played! I think the guy (Moran) is to be lauded for bowing out at this early stage. Could've hung on in there and maybe picked up a medal without seeing a minute of action. Plenty of lads in KK have several AIs and didn't see a minute of action to earn them. Plenty of time for anybody brought in now to catch up - any guy worth his salt is probably doing a bit on his own/in college whatever. Unless they're a real bolter, any guy overlooked up to now is probably only going to be fringe player anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement