Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

For interest's sake, a team of players outside the panel originally named, not including the Leaving Cert players.
    Stapleton
    Dempsey English Carmody
    Byrnes McNamara O'Donnell
    O'Connell O'Sullivan
    Mulcahy Aherne O'Donovan
    Coleman O'Brien Dawson

Which would be a decent intermediate team! Likes of Niall Maher, Michael Casey, Mike Fitz, Dinny Moloney, David Dempsey, Eoin Ryan, Robbie Egan, Mikey Ryan, Tommy Quaid, David Moloney, Willie Griffin, Jack Aherne, Barry Lynch, Sean Finn could be options for that team too.

Are any of them better than Moran? Possibly not, but TJ might call someone up to replace him, we're already short on numbers. A few of them are still obviously involved in Fitzgibbon or with Kilmallock but maybe Mark Carmody who can play pretty much anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I'm hoping he is replaced by a defender, if we're looking at forward selection we're relatively well covered, if we're going to persist with Condon on the wing (as I believe we should), then we need to replace him as a member of the full back line. If one of Walsh-McCarthy-Hickey goes off injured our best option at present is to move Condon back and bring on a sub further up the field.

Any one of the three players across the full back line on the team Fireball07 listed above would be a useful addition and well worth investing in, for now try King back there, in terms of first team players it's almost* our strongest line on the pitch but in terms of depth it's our weakest. (*Strongest line; Ryan-Browne)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Limk SH v Antrim NQuaid SWalsh RMcCarthy SHickey TCondon WMcNamara DMorrissey JRyan PBrowne DReidy DOGrady CLynch TMorrissey SDowling ABreen

I'm hoping he is replaced by a defender, if we're looking at forward selection we're relatively well covered, if we're going to persist with Condon on the wing (as I believe we should), then we need to replace him as a member of the full back line. If one of Walsh-McCarthy-Hickey goes off injured our best option at present is to move Condon back and bring on a sub further up the field.

Any one of the three players across the full back line on the team Fireball07 listed above would be a useful addition and well worth investing in, for now try King back there, in terms of first team players it's almost* our strongest line on the pitch but in terms of depth it's our weakest. (*Strongest line; Ryan-Browne)

I imagine Condon would just go back tbh, although I'm a massive, massive fan of Dempsey, I think he's absolutely class. Would agree on Ryan-Browne being our strongest line, class pairing.

Strong team to play Antrim, that's a team that should be strong enough to win and possibly even get a decent score. Forward line looks so much stronger- we've got Reidy back on the wing, no surprise that Dodge moves forward to bolster the attack. Dowling back in is a huge asset too, and delighted to see Morrissey get a start. We need to work on getting the most out of Breen & Morrissey though, can't just lump high balls in, so I imagine they'll work better off Dowling.

Can't underestimate what starting Ryan will do to the overall strength of the team. Delighted for Dan Morrissey too, he has a chance to lay down a marker. Wayne at centre-back, but what else can we do?

Still no Hannon, possibly a slight worry? No Breen either. And they were both named last week... were they ever likely to play then?

With that team, I'd expect a good win, it's a strong side.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

If that team takes to the field it's a much stronger side than I anticipated, but still with plenty of opportunity to see what Reidy, Lynch, Morrissey and Breen can do. Hopefully better ball can be played into the corner-forwards in particular. Nerves have eased somewhat regarding this particular fixture, still a tough assignment to travel up to Antrim though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Yeah strong team happy with that.

Agree with the above on a back being added, and yeah one of dempsey, english, carmody. Still have misgivings about the backs, is the dodge at CB thing over? I suppose we wont know until the next game he might be moved up just because of injuries but I doubt it, its still wayne for CB. Still have misgivings about that line but cant really complain when other options are being tried.

The Tomas Ryan thing is getting very anoying is he fitzgibbon bound? (its not a tournament I have much interest in)

Agree with the above on a back being added, and yeah one of dempsey, english, carmody. Still have misgivings about the backs, is the dodge at CB thing over? I suppose we wont know until the next game he might be moved up just because of injuries but I doubt it, its still wayne for CB. Still have misgivings about that line but cant really complain when other options are being tried.

The Tomas Ryan thing is getting very anoying is he fitzgibbon bound? (its not a tournament I have much interest in)

Hasn't played in the Fitz this year at all. Heard that he was injured earlier, but haven't heard anything since.

There was a few issues with him around this time last year as well, which were eventually sorted, but it's an odd one. Hopefully it's just an injury and he'll be back soon, he's very talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Ya there's been no word on him, if he's injured or when he'll be back, if injured. You would think he'll be gone back in the pecking order having missed all the warm up games, pity as he had got good experience last year and would have been ready to step into a first team role with the kilmallock lads missing, echo what the others are saying about adding a full back line option, one injury and we'd be badly effected there...need to develop a back up option...may not be until the league is finished now that someone else will get game time as it's vital to win every game from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Tom Ryan is gone off the panel.

Vanolder wrote: »

For sure, absolutely 100%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

TJ's ultra conservative selections p1ss him off?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    For sure, absolutely 100%?

As far as I know, yes.

As far as I know, yes.

He's a big loss imo. I think he was the most likely of anyone to break into the half-back line, simply based on getting gametime last year.

With that news, I'd definitely like to see a back added. Dempsey can play half-back but I'd prefer him in the corner. Barry O'Connell maybe.

He's a big loss imo. I think he was the most likely of anyone to break into the half-back line, simply based on getting gametime last year.

With that news, I'd definitely like to see a back added. Dempsey can play half-back but I'd prefer him in the corner. Barry O'Connell maybe.

The lads on TFK posted the reason why he has departed but not sure if true and I'm not posting it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

The lads on TFK posted the reason why he has departed but not sure if true and I'm not posting it here.

Heard about it yesterday from someone and it shouldn't be posted on any forum to be honest, true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

By the lads you mean you?

Terrible result for us in the Waterford-Laois game. Cha Dwyer got sent off early in the 2nd half, Laois collapsed and Waterford scored 3 goals. I think it was an 18-point margin. Hard to see us catching that... I imagine our best hope for promotion at this stage is to hope we win all 4 remaining games and Wexford beat Waterford. Which isn't impossible at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Terrible result for us in the Waterford-Laois game. Cha Dwyer got sent off early in the 2nd half, Laois collapsed and Waterford scored 3 goals. I think it was an 18-point margin. Hard to see us catching that... I imagine our best hope for promotion at this stage is to hope we win all 4 remaining games and Wexford beat Waterford. Which isn't impossible at all.

Good result for Waterford though. They showed last week that they can rack up big scores. However I think the league will not be decided on score difference this year. Offaly, Wexford and possibly a full strength Laois will take points off some team, just lets hope its not us. The big game for us is away to Wexford who will be gunning for revenge after last years collapse in Thurles.
    Antrim's pitch in Ballycastle was covered in snow today, word is the game will still go ahead as long as there's no frost tonight (wouldn't bet on that)
    Liam Ahern will have an update on 95FM sport tomorrow morning after the 10am news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

washman3 wrote: »
    Good result for Waterford though. They showed last week that they can rack up big scores. However I think the league will not be decided on score difference this year. Offaly, Wexford and possibly a full strength Laois will take points off some team, just lets hope its not us. The big game for us is away to Wexford who will be gunning for revenge after last years collapse in Thurles.
    Antrim's pitch in Ballycastle was covered in snow today, word is the game will still go ahead as long as there's no frost tonight (wouldn't bet on that)
    Liam Ahern will have an update on 95FM sport tomorrow morning after the 10am news

Agree with you, wouldn't be worrying about score difference to the last round. Wexford have the both of us at home and while I don't think they'd beat both teams, they could beat one and we have to go to Tullamore next.

Am I right and seeing they drew with ye and ended yer promotion hopes? And they were still muck then so you just never know when the pitches are slow, Offaly would have thrived in a game like last night.

Agree with you, wouldn't be worrying about score difference to the last round. Wexford have the both of us at home and while I don't think they'd beat both teams, they could beat one and we have to go to Tullamore next.

Am I right and seeing they drew with ye and ended yer promotion hopes? And they were still muck then so you just never know when the pitches are slow, Offaly would have thrived in a game like last night.

Yeah, we were really bad on the day though. Absolute disaster of a performance... if we had even beaten them by a point, we'd have gone up. But playing like that, we didn't deserve to. I think they lost to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Yeah, we were really bad on the day though. Absolute disaster of a performance... if we had even beaten them by a point, we'd have gone up. But playing like that, we didn't deserve to. I think they lost to everyone else.

Think they bet Antrim, but lost to them in the relegation match after. Hopefully it comes down to the last day this year.

[QUOTE=Mountainlad;94394365

Am I right and seeing they drew with ye and ended yer promotion hopes? And they were still muck then so you just never know when the pitches are slow, Offaly would have thrived in a game like last night.[/QUOTE]

Ya, that draw away to Offaly ruined our chances last year. Going into that game we had something like a 20+ points advantage over Cork who had struggled to beat Antrim away while we hammered them in G/Grounds.
    We had drawn with Cork away in the first game when we played with 14 for 40 mins after Mulcahy got a red for a silly pull.
    Todays game goes ahead after a 12 noon inspection decided the pitch was ok.
    Very heavy rain overnight in Antrim melted the snow but underfoot conditions will now be extremely heavy.

Ya, that draw away to Offaly ruined our chances last year. Going into that game we had something like a 20+ points advantage over Cork who had struggled to beat Antrim away while we hammered them in G/Grounds.
    We had drawn with Cork away in the first game when we played with 14 for 40 mins after Mulcahy got a red for a silly pull.
    Todays game goes ahead after a 12 noon inspection decided the pitch was ok.
    Very heavy rain overnight in Antrim melted the snow but underfoot conditions will now be extremely heavy.

Not ideal if we were targeting a big score. But it'll be a tough ask just to beat them... I would like to see us be ruthless and go for goals, it has been a problem for us.

Advantage firmly in Waterford's hands atm.

3 apiece early on, went 0-3 to 0-1 up but Antrim got 2 in a row. Paul Shiels got all 3 for Antrim; Reidy, Dowling free and Lynch for us.

10 minutes-ish gone.

Antrim went into the lead, Lynch then caught the puck-out and straight over the bar. Seems like a lively start from him, 2 points from play from him so far.

Seamus Hickey seems to be getting forward at times.

Fireball, where are you getting the updates from.??

Fireball, where are you getting the updates from.??

Listening online!

http://live95fm.info/extra/

0-6 to 0-5 for us now; another Dowling free & Hickey point. Dowling is at centre-forward.

0-8 to 0-7 now; Dodge was given a disputed point by the referee and Reidy just got his second. Seems like it's going to be a very close game, tit-for-tat so far. Seems to be scrappy.

Wexford beating Offaly by a goal.

Half-time: Limerick 0-10 Antrim 0-09

David Reidy has 3 from play; Lynch 0-2 and Dodge 0-1; that's 0-6 from our starting half-forward line which is good. Also have 2 frees from Dowling, and a point apiece for Browne & Hickey.

Jim-Bob is on a yellow but he and Browne seem to be doing well enough, Tom Morrissey seems to be getting on a lot of ball but it's been pretty much score-for-score so far, no goal chances to speak of... hopefully we'll get the win but it's not going to be a big scoring difference, you'd imagine.

• Advertisement

2nd half on fm radio.

Goal for Antrim within a minute of the 2nd half starting. Condon replies quickly with a point. Not a good start though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement