Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Jim-Bob levels things up with a long-range point.

Quaid --> Dowling --> Dodge and over the bar. Nice and easy, back into the lead.

Playing with the wind now, and two long-range scores... one from Wayne from halfway and one from Condon from the sideline.

0-15 to 1-10. Seem to be playing better since the goal, upped the tempo.

Condon yellow card now, sounds like he may have broken the Antrim man with a heavy shoulder.

Seanie Tobin is in for Breen! Breen was very quiet, but I thought Seanie was out injured until mid-March... great to see him back!!!

Another monster point from Condon inside in his own half, certainly adds that option when played there. 0-16 to 1-11, I think.

• Advertisement

Ball keeps getting literally stuck in the ground, getting buried... which is bullshít, no conditions for hurling really.

Antrim pulled it back to a point, but a Dowling free restored our 2-point advantage and Reidy has just made it 3. Haven't pulled away like you would have wanted.

Declan Hannon has just come on for Tom Morrissey! More good news.

We lead by 4; Allis has come on for Condon, wonder will he play half-back or will Dodge drop back? Hit a few bad wides in the last few minutes, could be extending our lead... every point could be important!

Hannon & Tobin have been quiet since coming on, haven't heard their names mentioned really. Browne cleaning up around the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Great to see Hannon and Tobin back. It will be genuinely difficult to pick the team come summer.

Limerick 0-23 Antrim 1-12

A decent win in the end but it was a tough fight. At the same time, we hit a lot of wides too and in terms of points difference, we are 10 behind Waterford having played arguably the worst team in the division, while Laois will be a tough test for us.

No goal chances either, which is a slight worry. Again, no offence to Antrim but if we don't threaten for goals against Antrim, are we going to create them against the Kilkennys and Tipperarys of this world?

Good to get Tobin & Hannon back, even if they were quiet. Good to hear about good performances from Lynch and Reidy, think they got 8 points from play between them. Condon definitely seems to be going well at wing-back. Corner-forwards still a slight worry, need to get them more involved... even the best ones will struggle with the wrong supply.

All in all, we got the job done and an 8-point margin in those conditions away from home is always decent.

It seems Offaly held on very well for long periods against Wexford, with only 14 men, but Wexford tagged on a goal and a few points at the end to win by 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

8 point win in the end. Given the conditions we must be satisfied.
    Waterford will play this Antrim team at home so its advantage Waterford bigtime, however they play both Offaly and Wexford away.
    Bit disappointing today that we failed to score a single goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

washman3 wrote: »
    8 point win in the end. Given the conditions we must be satisfied.
    Waterford will play this Antrim team at home so its advantage Waterford bigtime, however they play both Offaly and Wexford away.
    Bit disappointing today that we failed to score a single goal.

Do we not also play offaly and wexford away?

Fireball, Antrim were unlucky not to beat wexford in wexford last week. Given that, this was a very good win up in Antrim. Laois are currently the weakest team in the division by far.

Do we not also play offaly and wexford away?

Fireball, Antrim were unlucky not to beat wexford in wexford last week. Given that, this was a very good win up in Antrim. Laois are currently the weakest team in the division by far.

We play Offaly at home.

Antrim were unlucky not to beat Wexford but Wexford had 14 men for more than half the game. And Laois were poor in the end last night but I watched some of the game and they were arguably the better team in the 1st half; just gave away silly frees and then completely collapsed after the red card. They'll want to make amends from now on, so I wouldn't write them off. Certainly can't see us beating them by 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Next game on Sunday week March 8 away to Wexford, double header as we also play them in football.
    Waterford away to Offaly on the same day.
    Limerick home to Offaly on Saturday March 14 at 7pm (under lights)
    Waterford home to Antrim the following day.
    Limerick home to Laois on March 22 in Kilmallock
    Waterford away to Wexford on same day.

Wexford now top the group, 4pts from 2 wins.
    While being unimpressive so far they will really fancy their chances of winning this group with both Limerick/Waterford coming to Wexford park. They also play Antrim away.
    If we can scrape a win down there we will still have a chance, and if so we can only hope that the C.B. sees some sense and move our home game from Kilmallock to G/Grounds.

I think that Wexford at home will fancy their chances of beating at least one of Waterford & Limerick, if not both. I think our best hope is that if we beat them, then they are really fired up when Waterford go down there then. It will be a tough ask though, as they'll be looking for revenge for the hammering we gave them in the Championship last year, they will feel that they severely under-performed on the day. Bit like Dublin blowing Tipp away in the first round this year, or Offaly getting the win against Laois.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-hurlers-battle-past-antrim-challenge-1-6594769

Leader report.

There it says Lynch, Browne, Reidy & Condon all got 0-3. I was almost sure that the commentary said that Reidy got 0-4. One of them must have made a mistake.

Anyway, for Condon to get 0-3 from play again... it's a huge asset. I'd say it'll be fair hard to knock him from that slot now tbh. No scores from play in the inside line is a slight worry, but conditions must have played a part.

0-8 from the starting half-forward line is very good, and another great day of scoring for Browne, 0-7 from play in 2 games, not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think that Wexford at home will fancy their chances of beating at least one of Waterford & Limerick, if not both. I think our best hope is that if we beat them, then they are really fired up when Waterford go down there then. It will be a tough ask though, as they'll be looking for revenge for the hammering we gave them in the Championship last year, they will feel that they severely under-performed on the day. Bit like Dublin blowing Tipp away in the first round this year, or Offaly getting the win against Laois.

I think it may play out that limerick get the win over Wexford down there and I think Wexford can at least draw or beat waterford at home, that would put us in pole position, providing we beat Offaly and Laois, if we don't we don't deserve to go up anyway...
    Mixed league for us so far really, encouraging to see lynch and Reidy contributing and condon looks to have taken to wing back like a duck to water, Walsh is performing very solidly in the full back line ,not sure we have a game plan to use the full forward line and create goal chances however.
    Will be interesting what sort of team goes out against Wexford, it's the defining game of the league for us so would expect is to be at almost full speed for it.
    On another note heard that limerick minors beat Dublin, don't know any other details just the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Mehapoy wrote: »
    I think it may play out that limerick get the win over Wexford down there and I think Wexford can at least draw or beat waterford at home, that would put us in pole position, providing we beat Offaly and Laois, if we don't we don't deserve to go up anyway...
    Mixed league for us so far really, encouraging to see lynch and Reidy contributing and condon looks to have taken to wing back like a duck to water, Walsh is performing very solidly in the full back line ,not sure we have a game plan to use the full forward line and create goal chances however.
    Will be interesting what sort of team goes out against Wexford, it's the defining game of the league for us so would expect is to be at almost full speed for it.
    On another note heard that limerick minors beat Dublin, don't know any other details just the result.

I'm from Waterford but would have had Limerick as strong favourites to top Ib before the league started but I have to say that Waterford are in the driving seat now with the big score they put up against Laois and considerintg that they have Antrim at home they are more likely to put a bigger score up against them than Limerick did.

The only team capable of beating Limerick or Waterford in the division is Wexford. I'm not sure what you have seen from the games so far to suggest that Limerick will beat them and Waterford won't though. Waterford really should have beaten Limerick but Limerick got awarded two very questionable penalties (that's with my unbiased cap on as much as it can be). Added to that Wexford have been pretty good so far and must fancy their chances too. I can't see them beating both limerick and Waterford though and so would probably lose out on points difference if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Waterford are very much in the driving seat. I can't see us overhauling their scoring difference, particularly as they have Antrim at home. Laois won't be anything like the pushover last weekend's scoreline suggests. Wexford are the unknown. They have only played Antrim & Offaly so far and weren't overly impressive against either, but they are more than likely focused particularly on the visits of Limerick & Waterford. My hunch is that Wexford will lose both, but I'm hoping we get a rub of the green here. It would be a sickener to lose out on promotion again whilst going through the league unbeaten, but it is looking very possible once more this year. In the greater scheme of things however, revenge for 2013 on 24th May, and how the team is shaping up as we head towards that date with Clare, is still the primary focus.

A few names should be back by the time we're making the trip to Wexford: Tobin & Hannon pushing to start and David Breen possibly will be back as well? I think Downes is out for another few weeks yet. So you're looking at being able to field something closer to the championship front 6 for the first time this season. It might give us the breathing space to carry out some experimentation at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I don't feel the scoring difference matters due to the simple matter of both Waterford and Limerick having to play Wexford.

Wexford are top, they are a point clear, and both Waterford and Limerick have to go to Wexford Park, I'm more worried about Wexford than I am about Waterford's scoring difference!

And let's not discount Offaly; they have held us to a draw twice in the last three seasons.

Can't go into Wexford thinking about scoring difference, if we come away from there with a one point win I'll be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

I don't feel the scoring difference matters due to the simple matter of both Waterford and Limerick having to play Wexford.

Wexford are top, they are a point clear, and both Waterford and Limerick have to go to Wexford Park, I'm more worried about Wexford than I am about Waterford's scoring difference!

And let's not discount Offaly; they have held us to a draw twice in the last three seasons.

Can't go into Wexford thinking about scoring difference, if we come away from there with a one point win I'll be delighted.

I wouldn't worry about scoring difference at all unless the scenario arises in the final game, and even then, it's not as simple as going out and saying "We need to beat whomever by 15+ points", as you rightly point out getting the win alone has proven difficult enough in this division. It's hard to read the form at this early stage, but at the moment any team really could catch any team on any given day. I doubt very much the players have scoring difference on their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

where is the LIT GAA pitch LOCATED? At the college campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

where is the LIT GAA pitch LOCATED? At the college campus?

Yes just behind the main building.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Talking to someone and they told me theres a Kerry minor living and going to school in are scoil ris how does that work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

sasta le wrote: »
    Talking to someone and they told me theres a Kerry minor living and going to school in are scoil ris how does that work

I presume he gets up, eats a breakfast, goes to his classes for the day before returning to his digs to study and eat some more before going to bed.

He may or may not wash himself also.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Cu Baire wrote: »
    Yes just behind the main building.

Whats the set up like for supporters? I presume there is no stand? Can see a big crowd there tomorrow.

Pandiani wrote: »
    Whats the set up like for supporters? I presume there is no stand? Can see a big crowd there tomorrow.
    You are correct there is no stand, no terrace, no concrete and definitely no shelter. Supporters stand on grass at pitch level. Wear thermals.

ASR has become a boarding school ??????????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Person speaking too said his mother was prinipcal of ard acoil..it wasn't minor it was kerrys 17s last year

Person speaking too said his mother was prinipcal of ard acoil..it wasn't minor it was kerrys 17s last year
    Is he from Kerry, playing with a Kerry club, living in Kerry and going to school in Limerick? Of course he can play for Kerry at any level.

If you are asking can he play for Limerick then no is the answer.

• Advertisement

Team to play Armagh in football:
    Brian Scanlon
    Seán O’Dea Johnny McCarthy Robert Browne
    Iain Corbett Pádraig Browne Cillian Fahy
    Tom Lee Gearóid Hegarty
    Darragh Treacy Danny Neville Seanie Buckley
    Mikey Lyons Cian Sheehan Micheál Brosnan

Need to bounce back after a bit of a battering against Tipp. Probably shouldn't have been so much but you need to score when you get chances... just not sure about our forwards. Only one change, Brosnan for Cahill.

Is Kilmallock really the best venue? Not exactly football heartland.

Let's hope they can cause an upset anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement