Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Team to play Armagh in football:
    Brian Scanlon
    Seán O’Dea Johnny McCarthy Robert Browne
    Iain Corbett Pádraig Browne Cillian Fahy
    Tom Lee Gearóid Hegarty
    Darragh Treacy Danny Neville Seanie Buckley
    Mikey Lyons Cian Sheehan Micheál Brosnan

Need to bounce back after a bit of a battering against Tipp. Probably shouldn't have been so much but you need to score when you get chances... just not sure about our forwards. Only one change, Brosnan for Cahill.

Is Kilmallock really the best venue? Not exactly football heartland.

Let's hope they can cause an upset anyway.

is it not ballylanders area ? maybe not football area but ye did well there against sligo dont think we will win by as much tomorrow

actually i think (armagh) it would be a good indication into how we will do against them in 2 weeks time ,are they that good? tipp should have won up there ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

is it not ballylanders area ? maybe not football area but ye did well there against sligo dont think we will win by as much tomorrow

actually i think (armagh) it would be a good indication into how we will do against them in 2 weeks time ,are they that good? tipp should have won up there ,

Well Ballylanders isn't that far but Kilmallock itself is all hurling really. I'd have thought Newcastlewest would be a better spot, most of the main football clubs are out west.

Tipp should have won up there but Tipp are a very good side. They killed us anyway. As I would expect ye to do tbh. Hopefully at home, we can put it up to Armagh but I'm not too hopeful. They'd be expecting a comfortable victory, I'd imagine. 4 or 5 years ago, we'd have expected to beat Armagh at home. Not really anymore.

you are right tipp are milles ahead of us , but they are probably better then most division 2 teams and will run kerry close in june , i will be intrested on how the armagh game goes i dont thinkk there is much between us and yer selves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

another hammering - looks like we are well and truly back in the doldrums

donfers wrote: »
    another hammering - looks like we are well and truly back in the doldrums

-23 score difference after 3 games... christ !!! i was always under the assumption that ye were missing a few players but it seems to be more than that, next weeks game against wexford is going to be huge in terms of avoiding the drop , especially with games against fermanagh and louth away

• Advertisement

-23 score difference after 3 games... christ !!! i was always under the assumption that ye were missing a few players but it seems to be more than that, next weeks game against wexford is going to be huge in terms of avoiding the drop , especially with games against fermanagh and louth away

Missing players, retired players, injured players, no youth players; combination of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Missing players, retired players, injured players, no youth players; combination of everything.

Not forgetting the players that are not injured, retired or too young.
    Just not willing to put the shoulder to the wheel now that the glory is not in sight..;)
    Hats off to the likes of Johnny Mac, Browne and Buckley. They've had more heartbreak than most county players in Ireland, yet soldier on regardless.!!

washman3 wrote: »
    Not forgetting the players that are not injured, retired or too young.
    Just not willing to put the shoulder to the wheel now that the glory is not in sight..;)
    Hats off to the likes of Johnny Mac, Browne and Buckley. They've had more heartbreak than most county players in Ireland, yet soldier on regardless.!!

Those players deserve huge credit for everything they've given to football in Limerick, same with the likes of John Galvin, Stephen Lavin, Pa Ranahan, Mark O'Riordan, Stephen Lucey... soldiered on through times good and bad. Pity they're all coming to the end now.

Those players deserve huge credit for everything they've given to football in Limerick, same with the likes of John Galvin, Stephen Lavin, Pa Ranahan, Mark O'Riordan, Stephen Lucey... soldiered on through times good and bad. Pity they're all coming to the end now.

top quality players should have won a munster title at least, but at least ye'r county board has listened to the concerns and put in place a new development setup with paul kinerek leading the way along with one or two mentioned above , it has to be said though that armagh are 3rd favourites to win the ulster championship and are probabley too good for this division next week is nothing more then a must win game to stay in the division giving the scoring diffrence though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Anyone heading to Wexford on Sunday?

Two massive games, if the hurlers don't win that would most likely put an end to our promotion hopes and if the footballers don't win it's hard not to see them being relegated. Great to have a double header.

Needs to be our strongest possible XV in the hurling, I'd like to see no changes from 1 to 9, Lynch Hannon and O'Grady in the half forward line, Morrissey Dowling and A.N.Other up ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Anyone heading to Wexford on Sunday?

Two massive games, if the hurlers don't win that would most likely put an end to our promotion hopes and if the footballers don't win it's hard not to see them being relegated. Great to have a double header.

Needs to be our strongest possible XV in the hurling, I'd like to see no changes from 1 to 9, Lynch Hannon and O'Grady in the half forward line, Morrissey Dowling and A.N.Other up ahead.

Will Morrissey be available with Fitz replay on Wednesday?

Vanolder wrote: »
    Will Morrissey be available with Fitz replay on Wednesday?

He is available to play alright.

So how about Hannon at number 6?

We have Dowling, D.Breen, Downes, Mulcahy and Tobin, O'Mahony has shown potential that he may be effective up the field, Lynch and Morrissey look capable of making the step up so far, and Donal O'Grady is a reliable option.

Nine good options there, jury still out on Adrian Breen and Pat Begley while David Reidy has put in a few respectable performances thus far.

So while it can be argued Hannon's scoring threat would be missed by moving him back the pitch, I think we'd still be able to pick a decent forward unit without him. Plus, he'd still be more than capable of picking off a few points during a game from centre back. I think it has been a mistake by successive managers by now to not have tried Hannon at 6, particularly given we have been in division 2 all along. It's a question that needs to be answered in my opinion.

@Fireball07!; How would you rate Barry O'Connell's prospects as a potential panel member?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

So how about Hannon at number 6?

We have Dowling, D.Breen, Downes, Mulcahy and Tobin, O'Mahony has shown potential that he may be effective up the field, Lynch and Morrissey look capable of making the step up so far, and Donal O'Grady is a reliable option.

Nine good options there, jury still out on Adrian Breen and Pat Begley while David Reidy has put in a few respectable performances thus far.

So while it can be argued Hannon's scoring threat would be missed by moving him back the pitch, I think we'd still be able to pick a decent forward unit without him. Plus, he'd still be more than capable of picking off a few points during a game from centre back. I think it has been a mistake by successive managers by now to not have tried Hannon at 6, particularly given we have been in division 2 all along. It's a question that needs to be answered in my opinion.

Was told that that management considered this last year but obviously it never happened.

Personally I want to see it tried. A proper half back line is the main obstacle to an all ireland and id like to see him given a go, especially if GOM is going to be used up front. Think its about a 1% chance of happening. Obviously it reduces our attack, but he's not really a goal machine and he put one over from 100 yards v cork last year so I think there's merit in it.

Downes coming back to form would be a huge boost for us, will both be back this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I'd have been against Hannon at 6 until now because I think he is more naturally a forward, because I thought it would rob our forwards of too much, and because I didn't think he would be a good enough 6 at this level to merit moving him back.

However, we have quite a few options at half forward at the moment and it might make space to move O'Mahony forward who really looks the business there. Downes another option there and we've Lynch Breen and Dodge. Also, seeing some of the shoulders he has nailed the opposition with and catches he has made when playing well the last two years would definitely make me reconsider it.

I think Allen played Hannon and Quaid at 6 for one half each in a waterford crystal match two years ago and that's the last experimentation we saw there.

I'd have been against Hannon at 6 until now because I think he is more naturally a forward, because I thought it would rob our forwards of too much, and because I didn't think he would be a good enough 6 at this level to merit moving him back.

However, we have quite a few options at half forward at the moment and it might make space to move O'Mahony forward who really looks the business there. Downes another option there and we've Lynch Breen and Dodge. Also, seeing some of the shoulders he has nailed the opposition with and catches he has made when playing well the last two years would definitely make me reconsider it.

I think Allen played Hannon and Quaid at 6 for one half each in a waterford crystal match two years ago and that's the last experimentation we saw there.

As much as I admire Hannon, and there's no doubting his talent, at times I think he needs a rocket under his arse. He can be very laboured and in and out of games... but perhaps he needs to be kept in the thick of it and a central position would suit more. There's no doubting his physicality, he has it in abundance.

@MattOCall: Limerick SH v Wexford
    Quaid Walsh McCarthy Hickey Condon McNamara Morrissey Ryan Browne Fitzgibbon O'Grady Hannon Reidy Dowling D Breen.

Unusual front 6. Maybe we're playing playing a third mid and two man full forward line. Surprised no Lynch, injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

I'd imagine there will be changes to that line-up, no out-and-out inside forward there other than Dowling. I'd start Tobin if he was anyway fit. Missing Mulcahy and Downes big time at the moment, forwards look a little blunt.

• Advertisement

Strong side, big chance for reidy and fitz. The condon expt is still the most interesting, esp if yer man starts half forward who plays for WIT. As was said yesterday would prefer to see Hannon at 11 (if not 6). Bench and use of it also interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Strong side, big chance for reidy and fitz. The condon expt is still the most interesting, esp if yer man starts half forward who plays for WIT. As was said yesterday would prefer to see Hannon at 11 (if not 6). Bench and use of it also interesting.

Any idea who's on the bench? Don't ever see it named except when looking at the program at the match

Colemania wrote: »
    Any idea who's on the bench? Don't ever see it named except when looking at the program at the match

No idea

Colemania wrote: »

Following 9 will almost certainly be named subs;
    Murphy, TO'Brien, SO'Brien, King, ABreen, Begley, Tobin, Allis, TMorrissey.

There's been no mention of an injury to Lynch so I'd imagine he'll be available and will most likely be brought on.

I'd imagine Downes will complete the 26 man squad regardless of whether he's actually available or not. Don't know if he is available but he's not too far off.

From the original 32 man panel we're short the four Kilmallock lads and Moran and Tom Ryan have departed and not been replaced.

Following 9 will almost certainly be named subs;
    Murphy, TO'Brien, SO'Brien, King, ABreen, Begley, Tobin, Allis, TMorrissey.

There's been no mention of an injury to Lynch so I'd imagine he'll be available and will most likely be brought on.

I'd imagine Downes will complete the 26 man squad regardless of whether he's actually available or not. Don't know if he is available but he's not too far off.

From the original 32 man panel we're short the four Kilmallock lads and Moran and Tom Ryan have departed and not been replaced.

Downes is still a good bit off... was still on crutches till recently... Don't think we will see him in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aoganmacc

I reckon we will find out exactly how serious limerick are taking the leauge this Sunday. We should really be beating wexford handy enough if we are going for it.

I actually think division 1b suits us and wouldn't break my heart to stay there.

They're is an awful amount of pressure on Clare already this year.

It's cut throat and puts pressure on teams and managers alike. Point in case Davy.

We are already battle hardened and have nothing to prove. Just need that extra 2 percent. Some might say you find that 2 percent in 1A.

I don't buy that.

All we need is one or 2 players. An extra half back and a stronger bench.

With the minor lads coming on board this year we have that.

I am very optimistic for 2015.

Luimneach abú

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Aoganmacc wrote: »
    I actually think division 1b suits us and wouldn't break my heart to stay there.

I agree. Its dog eat dog in 1a and with our limited resources it might take too much out of us to have an annual battle for survival there. We're better off lying in the long grass and hitting May/June with all guns blazing.

If you think small time, you get small time. Ridiculous to suggest we're better off in the pressure free environment of 1B. The only way to win pressure games is to get used to playing in pressure games, playing league hurling against Offaly, Laois and Antrim has not been of any benefit to us when we end up in the all Ireland series.

We've had a few good performances in the Munster championship and beaten a few 1A teams in games without the pressure of knockout hurling.

We haven't knocked a division 1 team out of the championship as long as we have been in the second tier since 2011. The battle hardened teams used to the pressure of the top tier have knocked us out every time. Pressure is good, it helps teams grow. If a team can't handle the ' pressure' of 1A then there is no way they will ever win an All Ireland

If you think small time, you get small time. Ridiculous to suggest we're better off in the pressure free environment of 1B. The only way to win pressure games is to get used to playing in pressure games, playing league hurling against Offaly, Laois and Antrim has not been of any benefit to us when we end up in the all Ireland series.

We've had a few good performances in the Munster championship and beaten a few 1A teams in games without the pressure of knockout hurling.

We haven't knocked a division 1 team out of the championship as long as we have been in the second tier since 2011. The battle hardened teams used to the pressure of the top tier have knocked us out every time. Pressure is good, it helps teams grow. If a team can't handle the ' pressure' of 1A then there is no way they will ever win an All Ireland

100%

• Advertisement

A little of A a lot of B. Limerick have always been a championship team and coming in under the radar has suited us for the last few years- but it's time this crop of players had exposure to more high pressure/quality games if we are to take the next step. We've a crop now that have mixed it at the top level for either club or minor level for most of their playing days, no reason they can't continue to do that now at senior county.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement