Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Browney7 wrote: »
    Limerick hit a lot of wides but youd have to be happy. All our forwards scored and when your highest scorer only gets 1 4 out of 2 19 its not a bad sign.

Tony Kelly is a super player. A fantastic talent. Hes a joy to watch. Very sporting game played in a great spirit and there was even a dispute over a point. Shur what more can you ask for ha

i thought the ref wasnt great to be honest. Tony dusted your number 5 then got bait by his hurley when through and the ref only gave a free when it was a clear yellow card. Also, yee got a point when it was waved wide while we had a point chalked off by the ref who was in no position to judge whether it went over or not.

Anyway, the much better team won and thats that. 2 Munster titles in 2011 will have to do ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Looks like Kerry will most probably end Limerick supporters summer on sunday, good little run for the footballers I must say, but the hurlers bate all, what an amazing season beating Antrim and Wexford to retake there place back among the minnows of championship hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Looks like Kerry will most probably end Limerick supporters summer on sunday, good little run for the footballers I must say, but the hurlers bate all, what an amazing season beating Antrim and Wexford to retake there place back among the minnows of championship hurling.

Oh so your back now, wasnt too much of that kind of talk out of you after the munster final, didnt see Limerick getting humiliated by anyone did you?? And their footballers ended yer little summer of fun after yer faboulous win over the formidable London :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

What do ye think of the two Limerick hurlers being called up to the football panel now that the hurlers are out. I think myself its a bit disrespectful to those who stayed with the football team throughout the course of the qualifers only to now have their place under threat from two guys who dont even have football down as their first choice. Aside from that I think Maurice Horan has down a great job

And their footballers ended yer little summer of fun after yer faboulous win over the formidable London :rolleyes:

You obviously don't enjoy my posts, there is an ignore option kiddo I suggest you use it if thats the case, I don't want to be upsetting you.

How far did Tipp get in the football this year?? Qualifiers round 1 was it? Got drubbed by 11 points of the mighty Laois?

• Advertisement

leonidas83 wrote: »
    What do ye think of the two Limerick hurlers being called up to the football panel now that the hurlers are out. I think myself its a bit disrespectful to those who stayed with the football team throughout the course of the qualifers only to now have their place under threat from two guys who dont even have football down as their first choice. Aside from that I think Maurice Horan has down a great job

Limerick will need their best men for the weekend. suppose its not ideal but if its the difference between losing to Kerry badly or losing honourably it will be a good move

You obviously don't enjoy my posts, there is an ignore option kiddo I suggest you use it if thats the case, I don't want to be upsetting you.

How far did Tipp get in the football this year?? Qualifiers round 1 was it? Got drubbed by 11 points of the mighty Laois?

Where did I mention or make any reference to Tipperary footballers?

Re. enjoying your post, I find trolls tiresome in general tbh, then again when you could proabably write your entire knowledge of GAA on the back of a stamp you probably feel the need to get a bit creative ;)

Limerick will need their best men for the weekend. suppose its not ideal but if its the difference between losing to Kerry badly or losing honourably it will be a good move

You should listen to him lads as a blaah he is well versed in both arts of loosing, the former method mostly and they even managed it in both codes this year, fair dues no mean feat in the space of two months.

Where did I mention or make any reference to Tipperary footballers?

Re. enjoying your post, I find trolls tiresome in general tbh, then again when you could proabably write your entire knowledge of GAA on the back of a stamp you probably feel the need to get a bit creative ;)

Where did I mention Waterford footballers in my OP, I was discussing Limerick GAA and you felt the need to come in a give me your ignorant opinion on Waterford Football's championship campaign.

I would imagine it would take very little to tire your brain out to be fair
    You should listen to him lads as a blaah he is well versed in both arts of loosing, the former method mostly and they even managed it in both codes this year, fair dues no mean feat in the space of two months.

ha I LOL'd at that

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ncc1699

I just want to wish the Limerick footballers all the best on Sunday. Lets be honest this is probably our All Ireland final as the footballers have been banging on the door of the quarter finals for the last 10 years and have finally got their reward.

Croke park here we come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

leonidas83 wrote: »

Well, Lucey and Razor have been great servants to both codes in Limerick for years so I think it's fair to let them back in. They've been on the football team since around 2003 through all the heartbreak, they deserve their chance in Croke Park if he decides to bring them off the bench. Plus obviously we'll need everyone we can get when we're already missing Galvin and Tom Lee.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Limerick hit a lot of wides but youd have to be happy. All our forwards scored and when your highest scorer only gets 1 4 out of 2 19 its not a bad sign.

Tony Kelly is a super player. A fantastic talent. Hes a joy to watch. Very sporting game played in a great spirit and there was even a dispute over a point. Shur what more can you ask for ha

This was a great result. I think Limerick have a real chance in the Munster final, some quality players in that squad. Clare are good too, but that was a good victory.

Munster champions has a nice ring to it :)

Hopefully they'll have a real chance in the All-Ireland too, they certainly have the talent.

But loads of hope for the future!! Hopefully that quality can transfer to senior grade but judging from Mulcahy, Hannon, Downes, etc. it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

So Thurles is the venue for the u21 decider. Would have preferred Ennis myself, closer, better atmosphere with more of a turnout (I'd have expected anyways)
    Oh well.
    Secretly optimistic about Limerick's chances in this one. Downes wasn't exactly the best last time out against Cork and same with Hannon for the first half or so. So if everyone was at 100% (bit of an ask but this team has to be one of the best u21 teams we've had in a long while tbh) I'd hope Limerick would win it. And with 2 hard fought out games in the bag already, it'll serve as a real advantage.
    Maybe I'm being a blindly optimistic after the Munster final (maybe being a yes :o).
    Is Richie Cummins still u21, ya?

Also.. even if the club I support got the boot outta the county hurling championship (:() last weekend, sure gwan Hospital!

Kevin Downes looks a doubt for this game as he has a broken bone in his hand from the last day, but Limerick have some good forwards this year so we might be able to get by without him?

ncc1699 wrote: »
    Kevin Downes looks a doubt for this game as he has a broken bone in his hand from the last day, but Limerick have some good forwards this year so we might be able to get by without him?

yeah ye'll probably win the senior all ireland next year now

yeah ye'll probably win the senior all ireland next year now

Glad you think so, but seriously we wont, we'll be happy if we can compete until August and that our younger players gain some more experience.

It's a work in progress that's all. You don't have to tell any Limerick man about the pitfalls of expecting to win a Senior All Ireland on the back of winning U21 titles! I think we learned our lesson there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

So Thurles is the venue for the u21 decider. Would have preferred Ennis myself, closer, better atmosphere with more of a turnout (I'd have expected anyways)
    Oh well.
    Secretly optimistic about Limerick's chances in this one. Downes wasn't exactly the best last time out against Cork and same with Hannon for the first half or so. So if everyone was at 100% (bit of an ask but this team has to be one of the best u21 teams we've had in a long while tbh) I'd hope Limerick would win it. And with 2 hard fought out games in the bag already, it'll serve as a real advantage.
    Maybe I'm being a blindly optimistic after the Munster final (maybe being a yes :o).
    Is Richie Cummins still u21, ya?

Also.. even if the club I support got the boot outta the county hurling championship (:() last weekend, sure gwan Hospital!

He is indeed

U-21 game on tomorrow, should be a cracker and hopefully we can win. We have a talented group of players but Galway will be tough opponents.

The team lines out as expected, with James O'Brien starting after his excellent display in the Munster final.

1. Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    2. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    3. Patrick Begley (Mungret)
    4. Steve O'Reilly (Ballybrown)
    5. James O'Brien (Na Piarsaigh)
    6. Cian Hayes (Kildimo)
    7. Thomas O'Callaghan (Monagea)
    8. Conor Allis (Croom)
    9. Seán O'Brien (Patrickswell)
    10. Niall Kennedy (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    11. Declan Hannon (Adare)
    12. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)
    13. Michael Ryan (Murroe/Boher)
    14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)(Capt.)
    15. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)

That forward line is very dangerous...both midfielders were in the senior panel at some stage, as far as I know.

And we've got players like Mark Carmody, Jake Mulcahy, Willie Griffin and Barry O'Connell to come off the bench. So plenty of hope there. Hope it will be a great game and that we can advance to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Best of luck Limerick this evening ,if this match is half as good as the Munster final were in for some treat. You have unearthed some fantastic hurlers. Some recovery from last year. You will be feared next year in the senior championship.Again the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Hard luck Limerick I really taught you would win this one. Galway defence were excellent how do they do it. There's still a very bright future for Limerick hurling who knows we might clash next year. All the best from the Deise

• Advertisement

what do ye make of new league format? I'm a fan personally, allows the cream of hurling play of against each other and the minnows battle it out for a place in that top tier.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

The cream would mean that Kilkenny and Tipp would only play each other. All other teams in 1A and 1B are fairly even except for maybe Dublin who would be nearer Tipp & Kilkenny. The 12 teams should have been seeded and had draw with 2 even groups. Top 4 into semis.

Jeddah wrote: »
    The cream would mean that Kilkenny and Tipp would only play each other. All other teams in 1A and 1B are fairly even except for maybe Dublin who would be nearer Tipp & Kilkenny. The 12 teams should have been seeded and had draw with 2 even groups. Top 4 into semis.

na boy, cream has risen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just watching the Sunday game there with their 'expert' panel of footballers, including the Monaghan captain and some Laois player. Am slighly annoyed that theres no Limerick football representative there yet again, after all we have contesetd a lot more provincial finals in the last five years then Monaghan and Laois have done, as well as being quater finalists this year.

Anyways pisses me off how underappreciated we still are!!

panda100 wrote: »
    Just watching the Sunday game there with their 'expert' panel of footballers, including the Monaghan captain and some Laois player. Am slighly annoyed that theres no Limerick football representative there yet again, after all we have contesetd a lot more provincial finals in the last five years then Monaghan and Laois have done, as well as being quater finalists this year.

Anyways pisses me off how underappreciated we still are!!

Seriously do you want salt with that chip on your shoulder, how in the name of god does the make-up of a panel on a highlights programme reflect the last 5 years of intercounty football? :confused:

Hearing strong rumours that John Allen is being lined up as new manager. Saw Gavin O Mahoney came out in support of Ciarán Carey as new manager. What do ye think guys? Suprised by the lack of discussion on this given the potential of ye're team...would have thought myself it to be an exciting time to be a Limerick hurling follower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Hearing strong rumours that John Allen is being lined up as new manager. Saw Gavin O Mahoney came out in support of Ciarán Carey as new manager. What do ye think guys? Suprised by the lack of discussion on this given the potential of ye're team...would have thought myself it to be an exciting time to be a Limerick hurling follower!

Looks like Allen is the man

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/gaa/allen-to-replace-ogrady-as-limerick-hurling-boss-169696.html

3rd Cork born Limerick manager in succession!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/1018/limerick_allenj.html

jayney mac hes after acting pretty ruthlessly, i hope these guys can prove themselves at club level and get back in for limericks sake, back to the doldrums of 2 years ago otherwise in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

would have thought myself it to be an exciting time to be a Limerick hurling follower!
    Its never an exciting time to be a Limerick follower. Too many false dawns. Yes we have some promising young hurlers on the way up, but so do Cork, Waterford, Clare, Tipp, Kilkenny, Galway, Dublin and Wexford. You couldn't say our crop is better than any other county's. The trick with Limerick is to always remain pessimistic - that way one will never be disappointed :)
    Looks like Allen is the man

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/gaa/allen-to-replace-ogrady-as-limerick-hurling-boss-169696.html

3rd Cork born Limerick manager in succession!

Incorrect. Justin McCarthy was born in Limerick, but raised in Cork.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    Its never an exciting time to be a Limerick follower. Too many false dawns. Yes we have some promising young hurlers on the way up, but so do Cork, Waterford, Clare, Tipp, Kilkenny, Galway, Dublin and Wexford. You couldn't say our crop is better than any other county's. The trick with Limerick is to always remain pessimistic - that way one will never be disappointed :)

Haha, yeah well I suppose your right. Maybe we should adopt the same approach, though no doubt if we did Davy'd still be in charge! Not all bad to be optimistic at times!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement