Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

So how about Hannon at number 6?

We have Dowling, D.Breen, Downes, Mulcahy and Tobin, O'Mahony has shown potential that he may be effective up the field, Lynch and Morrissey look capable of making the step up so far, and Donal O'Grady is a reliable option.

Nine good options there, jury still out on Adrian Breen and Pat Begley while David Reidy has put in a few respectable performances thus far.

So while it can be argued Hannon's scoring threat would be missed by moving him back the pitch, I think we'd still be able to pick a decent forward unit without him. Plus, he'd still be more than capable of picking off a few points during a game from centre back. I think it has been a mistake by successive managers by now to not have tried Hannon at 6, particularly given we have been in division 2 all along. It's a question that needs to be answered in my opinion.

Is Hannon able to dominate at 6 enough to justify him moving there? He's so talented, I just think it's a waste not to have him in the half-forward line. If we could be sure that he would be a rock, and win every dropping ball plus set up attacks, then fair enough but remember, against KK... it was just that little bit of a lack of impact up front that killed us, and that was with Hannon in unbelievable form, think he scored 0-4 from play.

It might be worth trying, but it won't be, I think.

@Fireball07!; How would you rate Barry O'Connell's prospects as a potential panel member?

I definitely think he's good enough, he's got the raw hurling ability, he has the physique- pace, strength, power. Whether he's actually capable of making the step up to the highest level, that is something that I could only really tell once he gets a chance but I certainly think he has the talent.

@MattOCall: Limerick SH v Wexford
    Quaid Walsh McCarthy Hickey Condon McNamara Morrissey Ryan Browne Fitzgibbon O'Grady Hannon Reidy Dowling D Breen.

Interesting team... strong backline but not much experimentation going on there, looks like we're taking it seriously. But up front, it looks a little odd... we're hardly going to leave Dowling inside on his own, but Reidy isn't really suited to playing inside, and I certainly don't think Breen is. Morrissey & Lynch rested? Pity Seanie O'Brien wasn't given some sort of chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Is Hannon able to dominate at 6 enough to justify him moving there? He's so talented, I just think it's a waste not to have him in the half-forward line. If we could be sure that he would be a rock, and win every dropping ball plus set up attacks, then fair enough but remember, against KK... it was just that little bit of a lack of impact up front that killed us, and that was with Hannon in unbelievable form, think he scored 0-4 from play.

It might be worth trying, but it won't be, I think.

I definitely think he's good enough, he's got the raw hurling ability, he has the physique- pace, strength, power. Whether he's actually capable of making the step up to the highest level, that is something that I could only really tell once he gets a chance but I certainly think he has the talent.

Interesting team... strong backline but not much experimentation going on there, looks like we're taking it seriously. But up front, it looks a little odd... we're hardly going to leave Dowling inside on his own, but Reidy isn't really suited to playing inside, and I certainly don't think Breen is. Morrissey & Lynch rested? Pity Seanie O'Brien wasn't given some sort of chance.

If Downes returned to full form, Lynch can continue progressing as he has done so far, and O'Mahony moves to half forward and maintains recent form there then that would more than offset the loss of Hannon in the forwards IMO. Big if's though and no guarantee any of those three could fill the void, or if Hannon would be able to play 6.

Talented underage player but has been mired with injuries, it's a big question whether o'connell will ever play senior now which is a big fall from what was expected of him a few years back -I've never seen anyone describing him as having pace before though...

Not surprised Seanie O'brien doesn't start, this is very much a match for winning not for giving guys a run. Same for Tom Morrissey. But if Lynch was good enough to play every game so far I'm surprised he wasn't kept on for this one.

I think we have a very strong back 9 out there and a competent set of forwards if not our strongest unit. I think our strong set of backs will hold up well and i'd expect us to control midfield. That should give us plenty of control and possession and Dowling will nail the frees, that with the forwards working hard should be enough to win this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

If Downes returned to full form, Lynch can continue progressing as he has done so far, and O'Mahony moves to half forward and maintains recent form there then that would more than offset the loss of Hannon in the forwards IMO. Big if's though and no guarantee any of those three could fill the void, or if Hannon would be able to play 6.

Talented underage player but has been mired with injuries, it's a big question whether o'connell will ever play senior now which is a big fall from what was expected of him a few years back -I've never seen anyone describing him as having pace before though...

Not surprised Seanie O'brien doesn't start, this is very much a match for winning not for giving guys a run. Same for Tom Morrissey. But if Lynch was good enough to play every game so far I'm surprised he wasn't kept on for this one.

I think we have a very strong back 9 out there and a competent set of forwards if not our strongest unit. I think our strong set of backs will hold up well and i'd expect us to control midfield. That should give us plenty of control and possession and Dowling will nail the frees, that with the forwards working hard should be enough to win this game.

Lynch has shown a few glimpses of what he is capable of but nothing more. He didn't do much v Waterford and supposedly took some lovely scores against Antrim but wasn't influential in general play. His time will come but people need to taper down their expectations of him- As you've said this is a game that needs to be won and I expect it to be a physical battle. When it opens up for the last 20 that's probably the best time to spring Lynch, not in the middle of a mullock fest.... Summer hurling will suit the lad far better and all involved know that. Limerick by 4. Hup the boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Vanolder wrote: »
    Lynch has shown a few glimpses of what he is capable of but nothing more. He didn't do much v Waterford and supposedly took some lovely scores against Antrim but wasn't influential in general play. His time will come but people need to taper down their expectations of him- As you've said this is a game that needs to be won and I expect it to be a physical battle. When it opens up for the last 20 that's probably the best time to spring Lynch, not in the middle of a mullock fest.... Summer hurling will suit the lad far better and all involved know that. Limerick by 4. Hup the boys!

At last some sense being written about young Lynch, words that should also apply to all the other young Limerick lads especially last years minors.

Offaly have raced into a 6 point lead against Waterford- 15 mins gone. An offaly win would make tomorrow's game huge for both Liemrick and Wexford.

• Advertisement

Forget last post- I knew it was too good to be true. Gleeson went off injured, will be a big loss if it's anything serious.

I don't see Wexford losing to both Liemrick and Waterford- They will beat one of them- any kind of a win tomorrow will be massive.

No, forget the last post and revert to forst post- Offaly with 1-1 level it up- Still expect Waterford to push on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

No, forget the last post and revert to forst post- Offaly with 1-1 level it up- Still expect Waterford to push on

You're tempting fate every time you post :P

I still think we need him to step up for the Championship though, we need more options up front and we need them now. It's a big ask for a young player... but Austin Gleeson stepped up for Waterford last year when it counted, he didn't have the greatest league but was good in the Championship.

Lynch hasn't been that great so far but he has shown what he is capable of in a few moments. His skill levels are unbelievably high, but you need more than at the highest level.

So a 7-point win for Waterford, Offaly did seem to put it up to them though which is good news for hurling in general. Waterford now top with a points difference of 25... we have a points difference of 8, but if we get any sort of win tomorrow, I'll be delighted- the forward line doesn't look the most balanced.

And then hope Wexford beat Waterford, I suppose.

• Advertisement

So a 7-point win for Waterford, Offaly did seem to put it up to them though which is good news for hurling in general. Waterford now top with a points difference of 25... we have a points difference of 8, but if we get any sort of win tomorrow, I'll be delighted- the forward line doesn't look the most balanced.

Great that the players are involved in must win games and let's hope it's like that right to the end. A loss tomorrow and it's a long wait until the end of May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'm not so sure about that, think ye will beat Offaly handy at home after what I heard today. When you are 7 points to no score up after 15 mins you really shouldn't be losing by 8 points with the game looking over with still 15 minutes to play. Sounds like their keeper made a couple of fantastic saves and we could have had a few more goals.

Offaly hurling is still in serious trouble in my opinion and that will once again become more apparent as the season wears on. I do agree with your point earlier, you would think that if Wexford have pushed on from last year they should be able to beat one of us at home. Think we'll beat Antrim well, so I guess it will all come down to the last day for us with it in our hands.

The match is hardly on tv tomorrow?

Condon pulled up in the warm-up, Allis comes in.

According to 95fm, we've got a 2-man FF line of Dowling & Breen, Reidy's moved to the wing, Fitzgibbon to around the middle.

0-3 to 0-1 early on, sound lively- Breen, Hannon, Fitzgibbon. Had half a goal chance but Hannon kicked it over the bar after getting crowded out.

Ian Byrne was completely unmarked about 13m out from goal, Quaid produces a save and Guiney misses the '65.

Goal for Wexford, panic stations in the full-back line, buried by McGovern :(

Full-back line sound to be all over the place, Wexford forwards winning everything.

Unusual that our back line is all over the place... Wexford hitting lots of wides but sound to be that bit sharper than us.

Goal for Limerick, John Fitzgibbon!

Almost straight from the puckout, sounded very easy.

Again, sounds like Limerick are just pumping in long ball...and just as I giving out we score from the same.

Ah ffs, Wexford goal through Guiney.

• Advertisement

Unusual that our back line is all over the place... Wexford hitting lots of wides but sound to be that bit sharper than us.

Wish I could see it, but it would seem that Hickey has been out the field a bit.

And we can't just play long ball, Wexford's movement seems to be very good.

Wish I could see it, but it would seem that Hickey has been out the field a bit.

And we can't just play long ball, Wexford's movement seems to be very good.

The main difference between Waterford and Limerick also, their movement was brilliant on the night while we just dropped bombs all night. Sounds like more of the same here.

2-5 to 1-5, after a decent start, it would seem that Wexford are definitely the better team.

Another goal for Wexford, McGovern again. 3-8 to 1-6.

In huge trouble now, don't seem to be in the game at all.

FFS. 8 points. Limerick all over the place.

Good response here, need a couple more scores before HT.

3 points without reply, at least there's been some sort of reply. John Fitzgibbon now has 1-2 from play, seems to be our most impressive player which is a bit of a surprise.

I suppose we have to remember Breen, Dowling, Hannon haven't a lot of hurling done..... A goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Poxy goal from a mi**** long free by Dowling :D

• Advertisement

Fluky fluky goal, Shane Dowling mi****s a free 65 yards out and it goes all the way in. Don't know what the Wexford goalkeeper was doing, you'd be killing yourself over something like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement