Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭slegs

Cu Baire wrote: »
    1B is not that comfortable as we can't win 5 games to get out of it.
    I never said that we are "incapable of coping" in 1A or that we should be "thankful" to be there.
    I said that it is not the end of the world because of the current make up of the squad.
    Team selection would be different in 1A and some of the players currently getting experience might not have that opportunity.
    For the overall development of Limerick hurling it would obviously be better to be in 1A but being in 1B gives certain opportunities to management.
    Are ye all forgetting that there is a possibility of playing 3 Div 1A teams in the knockout stages of the league whether promotion is achieved or not?

Exactly, someone talking sense. The new structure since last year with quarter finals is much different than division 1B of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Attitudes and ambition need to be adjusted upwards, justifying our presence in 1B is only making excuses, I'm disappointed that some in the county feel as though we are incapable of coping in the top division; that says something about where we really are does it not?

It's not supposed to be easy; that's exactly the point. If you want an easy ride then by all means accept extending our stay out of the top division, but what kind of a standard do we want to set? There is a very real chance we are just about to be unsuccessful for the fourth successive season in our bid to claim the title of the league's 7th best team; are people really okay with that?

I also think this attitude that "we're a championship team" needs to change, one All-Ireland title in 75 years says otherwise. Only one final appearance in 18 years says otherwise. It's a nonsense statement, all teams try to peak for championship, that is not a trait unique to us.

Poor old Clare and Kilkenny are in a relegation battle? Well I can say in full certainty that I can guarantee you that they would gladly take a relegation battle in 1A over playing in 1B every time. 1A is cut-throat, 1B is comfortable. Why settle for comfortable? We won't get comfortable games come July or August should we make it that far.
    Clare and limerick in May will be a good demonstration of how league effects the championship, is it better to be in 1a getting hard games, and infrequent wins versus being in 1b getting wins but not the same intensity in the games...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Clare and limerick in May will be a good demonstration of how league effects the championship, is it better to be in 1a getting hard games, and infrequent wins versus being in 1b getting wins but not the same intensity in the games...

Intensity is debatable...the Wexford and Waterford games Limerick have played were high intensity. Limerick could get a couple of 1A matches if they win their quarter final so that could be 4 intense matches.

Clare dont look to be enjoying 1A this year...intensity or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Munster championship is no indicator anymore; since the backdoor was opened to all in 2002 only once has the Munster champion gone on to win the All-Ireland, the record of the Munster champion in that time in All-Ireland semi finals is won 5, lost 8.

The best demonstration comes down the line when the safety net of non knockout hurling is taken away from the teams.
    slegs wrote: »
    Intensity is debatable...the Wexford and Waterford games Limerick have played were high intensity. Limerick could get a couple of 1A matches if they win their quarter final so that could be 4 intense matches.

Clare dont look to be enjoying 1A this year...intensity or not
    Go over to the Clare thread and ask them would they rather be in 1A or 1B right now; I think we all know what answer we would get. 1A is not supposed to be enjoyable!

Munster championship is no indicator anymore; since the backdoor was opened to all in 2002 only once has the Munster champion gone on to win the All-Ireland, the record of the Munster champion in that time in All-Ireland semi finals is won 5, lost 8.

The best demonstration comes down the line when the safety net of non knockout hurling is taken away from the teams.

True about the Munster championship but at a later stage, neither team will want to lose the first round and be dumped into the qualifiers straight away, I don't know the stats but how often has the team beaten in the Munster quarter final gone on to do anything in the championship...

• Advertisement

True about the Munster championship but at a later stage, neither team will want to lose the first round and be dumped into the qualifiers straight away, I don't know the stats but how often has the team beaten in the Munster quarter final gone on to do anything in the championship...

Well, in recent memory Tipperary won the All-Ireland final from that position in 2010 and Waterford got to the final in 2008.

EDIT; I actually posted something last year based on this, basically concluded that based on results since introduction of backdoor to all teams in 2002, performance in the Munster championship had no significant effect on performance in All-Ireland series.

Go over to the Clare thread and ask them would they rather be in 1A or 1B right now; I think we all know what answer we would get. 1A is not supposed to be enjoyable!

I would question if losing all your games is a benefit no matter how good the opposition. It has to affect confidence and morale even a little. At the least there is a problem to resolve before the championship.

I would prefer to be in 1A but I dont think it has affected Limerick much in the last few years. We have looked very sharp in first round of championship all three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

This year we would have been in trouble had we been in 1A with all the injuries and Kilmallock lads gone. I think its clear it would be a benefit though. Playing higher standard matches and players up against better opponents is going to improve them. Living with 1A teams gives confidence and losing focuses the mind on the standard needed to be reached. We've definitely been in 1B too long and it's ridiculous to say we'd be better off not getting beatings in 1A and still having serious ambitions to challenge for an all ireland.

slegs wrote: »
    I would question if losing all your games is a benefit no matter how good the opposition. It has to affect confidence and morale even a little. At the least there is a problem to resolve before the championship.

I would prefer to be in 1A but I dont think it has affected Limerick much in the last few years. We have looked very sharp in first round of championship all three years.

Clare and Cork contested the 2013 All-Ireland final after playing in the 2013 1A relegation final. Limerick played Dublin in the 1B final, Limerick and Dublin won their provincial championships.

Losing games affects confidence and morale? Before the All-Ireland semi finals; Cork and Clare had lost 8 games between them in 2013, Limerck and Dublin lost 3 between them. We all know who ended up in the final.

Cork after playing in 1B had lost only one game in all of 2014 before they played Tipperary in the semi final, Tipperary who had lost a total of 5 games in 2014 absolutely roasted them. All four semi finals in the last two seasons brought together a 1A and a 1B side; each time the 1A side won.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

U-21 team for tonight

1. James O’Meara (Fr.Casey’s), 2. Shane Cusack (Monaleen), 3. Stephen Cahill (Mountcollins), 4. Sean Barrett (Bruff). 5. Chris Smith (Fr. Casey’s), 6. Cillian Fahy (Dromcollogher/Broadford), 7. Tony McCarthy (Kildimo/Pallaskenry), 8. William O’Donoghue (Na Piarsaigh), 9. Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick’s) (Capt), 10. Evan Quinlan (Monaleen), 11. Cian Sheehan (Newcastlewest), 12. Killian Ryan (Mungret), 13. Kevin Moore (Glin), 14. Jack English (Adare), 15. Jason Mullins (St Patrick’s)

Decent team, Sean O'Dea is a huge loss after he got injured against Wexford for the senior, he'd probably be one of the best players after Hegarty.

Cork will still probably beat us, they're always strong but hopefully we put up a better showing than we have in recent years.

4 of those players started for the senior team last week and I think another 7 or so are part of the extended panel.

• Advertisement

Sounds like Limerick have been doing very well, but Cork have got 3 goals, including a very soft one before half-time. Losing by 5 now; 3-4 to 0-8. Awful shame because it would seem like a very decent performance. Encouraging for the future, I suppose... but can't afford to concede soft goals.

First 2 points of the half go our way. Absolutely sickened I didn't go to this, got stuck doing shít in college. Sounds like they're putting in a great performance so far.

Cian Sheehan goal! We're level!

Fcuk, 4th goal for Cork. Apparently another softish one.

4-6 to 1-12.

And a 5th goal. That's probably game over... still, a decent performance and put it up to them despite being massive underdogs.

Cillian Fahy pulls a goal back for Limerick. Probably too little, too late.

5-8 to 2-12.

And that's the final score. 5-point defeat... bound to be a few "what if" questions... a more solid full-back line and maybe it would have been different. But still, weren't given a hope, the fact we put it up to a good team is encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭shockframe

Fireball07 wrote: »
    And that's the final score. 5-point defeat... bound to be a few "what if" questions... a more solid full-back line and maybe it would have been different. But still, weren't given a hope, the fact we put it up to a good team is encouraging.

A few what if questions alright but a lot better than most underage nights in the last 5 years.The last minor and under 21 games have been 16-30 point beatings and though it would have been great to get the win a close defeat isnt that bad.

Would have been great to get the win but your up against one of the best in the country and the bench seemed to swing it for them.

No consolation but fair play to them.Not easy being a footballer at present.With Kinnerk involved at underage hopefully theres more to come.

shockframe wrote: »
    A few what if questions alright but a lot better than most underage nights in the last 5 years.The last minor and under 21 games have been 16-30 point beatings and though it would have been great to get the win a close defeat isnt that bad.

Would have been great to get the win but your up against one of the best in the country and the bench seemed to swing it for them.

No consolation but fair play to them.Not easy being a footballer at present.With Kinnerk involved at underage hopefully theres more to come.

Good to give cork a fright at least, if Sean o'dea was available it would have tightened up the full back line, assuming he was playing there, an encouragement for football to keep striving in the county, if inly they could stay in D3 to give these guys good experience of higher level football...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Limerick management announced their Fifteen:
    Limerick senior hurling management has announced their starting fifteen for Saturdays game against Offaly at 7pm at Gaelic Grounds. Limerick senior steam will line out as follows;
    Nickie Quaid (Effin), Stephen Walsh (Glenroe), Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), Seamus Hickey (Murroe Boher), Conor Allis (Croom), Declan Hannon (Adare), Dan Morrissey (Ahane), James Ryan (Garryspillane), Paul Browne (Bruff), David Breen (Na Piarsaigh), Donal O Grady (Capt)(Granagh Ballingarry), Cian Lynch (Patrickswell), John Fitzgibbon (Adare), Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh) & Sean Tobin (Murroe Boher).

Nice to see Hannon at 6

• Advertisement

Team for Offaly at the weekend announced:

1. Nickie Quaid
    2. Stephen Walsh
    3. Richie McCarthy
    4. Seamus Hickey
    5. Conor Allis
    6. Declan Hannon
    7. Dan Morrissey
    8. James Ryan
    9. Paul Browne
    10. David Breen
    11. Donal O'Grady
    12. Cian Lynch
    13. John Fitzgibbon
    14. Shane Dowling
    15. Seanie Tobin

Most interesting thing by a mile is that Hannon is at centre-back, Allis holds onto his spot at wing-back, Condon must be injured, I presume Wayne is rested. Lynch back in and Tobin gets his first start in a while, Reidy out too.

We should win but will be interesting to see how an inexperienced half-back line too.

Finally seeing Hannon at 6. If it works out it could be a great boost to the team, if not no lost. That's a decent half forward line starting, realistically there'll only be room for one or maybe two of them in the starting team come summer.

Full back line looks set in stone, looks like Condon will stay at wing back, one of the Kilmallock lads or Wayne on the other wing most likely. Gavin maybe at half forward, Downes and Mulcahy to come back in... will be a formidable team come summer.

Finally seeing Hannon at 6. If it works out it could be a great boost to the team, if not no lost. That's a decent half forward line starting, realistically there'll only be room for one or maybe two of them in the starting team come summer.

Full back line looks set in stone, looks like Condon will stay at wing back, one of the Kilmallock lads or Wayne on the other wing most likely. Gavin maybe at half forward, Downes and Mulcahy to come back in... will be a formidable team come summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

It will be interesting to see who Limerick line out at 6 in the championship alright. I think TJ will have to have a very clear idea come summertime of who his center-back is, as Clare and Tipp have top center-forwards in Kelly and Bonnar. Both are very different players that will pose they're own problems we know all about. The Limerick 6 is going to have a difficult task either way, but it would be important that Limerick management have settled with confidence on a player, be it Wayne Mc, Hannon or someone else. Hannon I think is worth a try as he is no stranger to the position and has alot of the attributes required to play there.

Possible half back line of Wayne Hannon Condon come summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Whoop whoop, im going to throw in a great big I fcuking told ye so on hannon at 6.

This is a bit more like it, fitz will play as a 3rd midfielder and looks like the big FF option is gone and its going to be 2 inside come summer.

We're one step closer to the AI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Possible half back line of Wayne Hannon Condon come summer...

I think the two boys could compliment Hannon well with that shape. That would mean probably 3 of Reidy, Lynch, Breen and Dodge. A down side is obviously robbing Hannon from 11, a position he excelled in towards the end of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I don't see it working out fulltime with Hannon at 6... Not unless he changes his style completely. He's too laboured for there and likes to drift... I hope to be proven wrong of course as the lad is a natural hurler, can pick passes and score from distance. Anyway, looking forward to seeing how it goes Saturday and how young Lynch goes with an improved supporting cast around him over the Waterford game.... Let's hope it is not all route one this time tho.

Oh boy am I happy with that team! The forward unit still looks decent without Hannon, I've felt for a few years it would be a mistake not to try Hannon at 6, not saying I think it will definitely work but I feel it would be madness not to explore it.

I really hate to criticise players but Wayne cost us the last day and his form has been an issue. Sometimes it can do a player good to be dropped when he's not on form, and I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever about his ability to bounce back. I always felt he was better at number 5, but he has done his best in a problem position for us in the last few years, and be fair; he put in plenty of good performances at 6 too.

I'll admit, my raging curiosity to see Hannon at 6 is largely down to being an Adare man myself, I watched him play at 6 for years at underage, I know you can never judge on underage form but he always looked a natural at 6. I'd be concerned that he hasn't played senior hurling there for both Adare and Limerick, but he has played Fitzgibbon Cup hurling there at least. I really hope this works because although his scoring threat would be a loss I believe this has the potential to give a better all round balance to the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Intriguing.

I'll reserve judgement on Hannon at 6 until Saturday night as I haven't seen him there. The big plus is you now have an out-and-out hurler in the position, the question I would have is whether or not he has the work-rate required for the half-back line. If it does work out, it opens up a slot in the half-forward line, my own preference in that case would be to play Kevin Downes at 11 when he returns. Disappointed that no new players have been blooded in the full-back line but with an inexperienced half-back line management were probably disinclined to weaken the rearguard. In the forwards, Fitzgibbon definitely warranted another start after a good display in Wexford and Tobin looked very, very sharp when introduced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement