Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Intriguing.

I'll reserve judgement on Hannon at 6 until Saturday night as I haven't seen him there. The big plus is you now have an out-and-out hurler in the position, the question I would have is whether or not he has the work-rate required for the half-back line. If it does work out, it opens up a slot in the half-forward line, my own preference in that case would be to play Kevin Downes at 11 when he returns. Disappointed that no new players have been blooded in the full-back line but with an inexperienced half-back line management were probably disinclined to weaken the rearguard. In the forwards, Fitzgibbon definitely warranted another start after a good display in Wexford and Tobin looked very, very sharp when introduced.

I suppose the argument for not introducing someone to the full-back line is that they are starting with that one in the Championship, and if there is an injury, Condon will drop back. I'm not sure it's the right call- personally I think King or O'Brien should be given some chance as a pacy man marking option or else bring in Dempsey or English but it does look solid.

Not convinced that Allis has what it takes to play wing-back, I think he's another that is best suited to midfield really.

Would agree on Downes to centre-forward if he does want to persist with Hannon at 11, however I am not convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Speculation: Fitz at corner forward suggests a two man inside line again. If Hannon at centre back works out then, wayne shifts to 5, condon stays on the other wing and Gavin is released to half forward. Downes can then be ran at centre forward, and Breen or O'Grady on the other wing. That's a powerful half forward line that can win ball, run, and score (although the Na P two would be nowhere near Hannon's level for scoring points from distance). If we're playing the two man inside line set up then Lynch is perfect for the loose forward, good eye for a score and incredible vision to set up teammates for scores, and would have less donkey work to do which he may not be physically ready for just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Yeah its set up

nicky
    walsh
    richie
    hickey
    condon
    hannon
    wayne
    jimbob
    browne
    GOM
    downes
    breen
    mulcahy
    dowling
    one of fitz, lynch, A.N other to float out midfield half forward

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Speculation: Fitz at corner forward suggests a two man inside line again. If Hannon at centre back works out then, wayne shifts to 5, condon stays on the other wing and Gavin is released to half forward. Downes can then be ran at centre forward, and Breen or O'Grady on the other wing. That's a powerful half forward line that can win ball, run, and score (although the Na P two would be nowhere near Hannon's level for scoring points from distance). If we're playing the two man inside line set up then Lynch is perfect for the loose forward, good eye for a score and incredible vision to set up teammates for scores, and would have less donkey work to do which he may not be physically ready for just yet.

I would pretty much go for the same team in that scenario. Sure you are trading point-scoring ability alright at 11 with Downes there and Hannon at 6, but I feel Downes would be able to open up teams a lot more from that position and you would see an increase in goal chances. A more powerful runner than Hannon and less likely to be brought down by a foul further out from goal. Lynch, Fitzgibbon & Tobin battling it out for the final "floating" forward spot. What jumps out traight away to me with that team is that you have a strong spine - McCarthy, Hannon, Downes, Dowling.

Of course all of this speculation is dependant on Hannon actually doing the business at centre-back...

Hannon is our best option, he has to be given a run of games and have the right support. Worried about the lack of pace but its not going to be perfect. Think wayne at 5 is a more solid option than POB anyway, and if we have a roaming midfielder it will shut down space. Huge step in the right direction, an alternative corner back, downes to full spped, tomas ryan and a few others added to the panel and we're in good shape.

• Advertisement

Yeah its set up

nicky
    walsh
    richie
    hickey
    condon
    hannon
    wayne
    jimbob
    browne
    GOM
    downes
    breen
    mulcahy
    dowling
    one of fitz, lynch, A.N other to float out midfield half forward

I just wonder is there enough point-scoring potential in a half-forward line of GOM/Downes/Breen... I know they are all well-capable, but Hannon is more free-scoring than any. Downes is a better direct runner at centre-forward but needs to cut out the attempts at the spectacular when it's not on. We know what Breen brings, but we'd be relying on GOM or whoever the free man is to hit a few points from play regularly.

Mulcahy is also suited to drifting out the field, but again, he's so dangerous close to goal too. In fact I would argue that Mulcahy is more suited to midfield than Hannon is to centre-back. But Tobin is a fairly lively forward in his own right and an option in both forward lines imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Going by his last run out for limerick Gavin is as good or better a point scorer than Hannon. He's excellent at picking out passes too and could really open up defences. Downes on form at 11 would add massively to the forward unit, great ball winner and very hard to stop. Would win plenty of ball, be a serious goal threat and win a rake of frees. However, it's might be more likely that management would go for O'Grady at 11 than Downes, Downes and Breen would have to be very very convincing to keep O'Grady on the bench. Gavin would be brilliant covering back from half forward too, and at making himself available for a pass out of defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Ah lovely... first real spring day and the Limerick optimism is in over-drive! Roll on the championship.

Vanolder wrote: »
    Ah lovely... first real spring day and the Limerick optimism is in over-drive! Roll on the championship.

It's probably a bit early to be optimistic, we don't know if the experiment will work yet and we were poor last weekend.

Not that I want to be negative, I definitely think we can win the AI.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I just wonder is there enough point-scoring potential in a half-forward line of GOM/Downes/Breen... I know they are all well-capable, but Hannon is more free-scoring than any. Downes is a better direct runner at centre-forward but needs to cut out the attempts at the spectacular when it's not on. We know what Breen brings, but we'd be relying on GOM or whoever the free man is to hit a few points from play regularly.

Mulcahy is also suited to drifting out the field, but again, he's so dangerous close to goal too. In fact I would argue that Mulcahy is more suited to midfield than Hannon is to centre-back. But Tobin is a fairly lively forward in his own right and an option in both forward lines imo.

Fair point, I have all half backs and midfielders capable of scoring, plus the likes of POB, KOD, Tobin and others actually making an impact off the bench

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Ideal scenario; Hannon is a success at centre back, O'Mahony is a success in the half forward line, and Lynch is ready to make an impact as a regular championship starter.

We'll hardly get our way on all three of those, but maybe two? Surely one?

Condon at wing back looks the most likely change, but I'd be wary of playing him and Wayne Mac, they both like to wander forward at times, you'll get away with one member of the half back like doing that, particularly with Ryan and Browne covering, but two players with that habit spells opportunity for opposition to pick holes in our defence.

I'd be happier with Condon on the wing if we were working on cover in the full back line, as it stands we're just one injury away from having no option other than to move Condon back.

Really happy with the following; Lynch and Morrissey have been given good time in the forward positions this year, as has Reidy. Dan Morrissey has been given plenty of time and has done reasonably well, if he keeps working hard he'll be very close to a starting place. And Fitzgibbon looked promising last weekend.

Not happy with the following; I'll be very disappointed if Aaron Murphy doesn't get a game in the league and we've badly neglected the full back line, can't argue with Walsh-McCarthy-Hickey but we've really shot ourselves in the foot by dropping Carmody/Dempsey and not replacing, and we've compounded that by not starting anyone other than the same three players. We won't learn anything from Walsh, McCarthy and Hickey that we don't already know.

I think we actually badly need Hannon at 6 to work out, we're still strong, and I think we're in with very good chance of making the AI semis again, but in all honesty I can't say we have definitely improved or that we have gone up another level, we're about the same as where we have been the last two years. Hannon at 6 could give us something new, it could give us that extra few percent. I know it really seems like I'm over blowing the importance of moving Hannon back there, it's not Hannon as such, it's just that I feel we need to nail down the centre back position, arguably the most important position on the pitch, O'Grady and McNamara have served us well but they were always stopgaps, they're both natural midfielders, and Wayne is a top wing back, but the reality is we have still yet to replace Brian Geary. And until we do, I don't think we can move up another level from where we are at present and have been for the last few years.

Footballers have a tough test up in Fermanagh, won't be expected to win. 3 of the U-21 team that did well against Cork starting. Good to see John Riordan back in the starting team, that inside forward line looks more potent than the last few weeks, Donal O'Sullivan given a shot in goal too, with Cahill at corner-back in place of the injured O'Dea.

1. Donal O Sullivan (Monaleen), 2. Stephen Cahill (Mountcollins), 3. Johnny McCarthy (St.Kieran’s), 4. Robert Browne (Fr. Casey’s), 5. Iain Corbett (Newcastlewest), 6. Padraig Browne (Fr. Casey’s), 7. Cillian Fahy (Dromcollogher/Broadford), 8. Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick’s), 9. Thomas Lee (Ballylanders), 10. John Riordan (Fr Casey’s), 11. Darragh Tracey (St. Kieran’s), 12. Seanie Buckley (Capt) (Dromcollogher/Broadford), 13. Peter Nash (Kildimo/Pallaskenry), 14. Killian Phair (Dromcollogher/Broadford), 15. Danny Neville (Ballysteen).

Our first opponents in the summer for the hurling, Clare, seem to be going down a dangerous path. The Davy O'Halloran story in the Irish Times is hard to read like, Davy is a nutjob.

Now of course, we don't have all sides of the story but you can't be treating people like that in this day and age. The loss of Kinnerk is looking bigger with every passing day. They do have serious talent so they could sort it out, but with stuff like this coming out, how long before his position is untenable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Our first opponents in the summer for the hurling, Clare, seem to be going down a dangerous path. The Davy O'Halloran story in the Irish Times is hard to read like, Davy is a nutjob.

Now of course, we don't have all sides of the story but you can't be treating people like that in this day and age. The loss of Kinnerk is looking bigger with every passing day. They do have serious talent so they could sort it out, but with stuff like this coming out, how long before his position is untenable?

I feel sorry for those lads to be honest. What constitutes being out anyway? If they had to work in a bar till 12 every night to make a living would he have the same policy? Hard to know the full story but if it's true it kind of rubbishes Davy's bullying policy doesn't it? The letter thing was a bit naïve in fairness but the demeaning treatment and double standards makes insane reading. I don't think an intercounty player would go cribbing to national media unless he had a pretty water tight case. I'd hope no limerick manager would ever treat our players like that.

Hard to know what will happen. At the end of the day no matter who the manager is, competitive lads will give their all to win.

Browney7 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for those lads to be honest. What constitutes being out anyway? If they had to work in a bar till 12 every night to make a living would he have the same policy? Hard to know the full story but if it's true it kind of rubbishes Davy's bullying policy doesn't it? The letter thing was a bit naïve in fairness but the demeaning treatment and double standards makes insane reading. I don't think an intercounty player would go cribbing to national media unless he had a pretty water tight case. I'd hope no limerick manager would ever treat our players like that.

Hard to know what will happen. At the end of the day no matter who the manager is, competitive lads will give their all to win.

They ended up winning today after being behind and only having 14 men. Went on a flurry towards the end. The players obviously still have a lot of spirit.

Unable to make it tonight, hopefully a few are there to give us reports.

Dempsey; Wynne, Shortt, King; Parlon, Murphy, Egan; Nolan, Ryan; Mulrooney, Currams, Cleary; Kinsella, Dooley, Carroll

is the actual Offaly team. No Joe Bergin. Think Mulrooney will start at 11, hopefully he tests Hannon, no point in him getting an easy ride.

Jesus Christ, Dowling has been sent off after 2 minutes for an off-the-ball incident.

Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Down to 14 men :O

Tobin on the frees and taps over the score.

Cian Lynch already causing Offaly lots of problems, Hannon won his first aerial duel. Hannon to Lynch, wins the free, Tobin over the bar.

• Advertisement

Puckout to Breen, long-range attempt over the bar. First score from play, we lead 0-3 to 0-0. Doing well enough considering we're down to 14, going to be a tough ask though.

Liam Aherne & Brian Geary both reckon Offaly should have had a penalty, ref didn't give it. Got away with it.

Tobin gets another free after Breen won another puckout.

Dooley gets Offaly's first score with a free.

Limerick dominating possession, hit four wides as well as getting four scores. Fitzgibbon has hit the post with a sideline too.

Jim-Bob scores for Limerick after Dooley had scored another 2 frees. 0-5 to 0-3.

Another free from Dooley, and then a score from Dodge.

Well-struck free from Tobin, and shortly after he scores an unbelievable point from play over the shoulder. 0-8 to 0-4 in our favour.

Offaly have brought on the supposedly injured Joe Bergin for Mulrooney.

Goal for Offaly!

We played a high ball into our small full-forward line, got cleaned, and they go up the other end and score. Emmet Nolan.

We've hit 7 wides and lead by a point.

Offaly take the lead, Shane Kinsella gets their first point from play. 1-6 to 0-8 for them.

Dodge got a great score to pull a point back, before Cian Lynch hit the equalising score.

Offaly make another sub- Quirke for Brian Carroll, who was very very quiet.

And now Tobin knocks over another free to put us back in front, after Fitzgibbon was fouled.

• Advertisement

Paul Browne knocks over a very good score to extend the lead to 2 points at the break.

Seemed to get a good reception at the break, we lead by 2 considering we've had 14 men for most of the game, that's good. Offaly are poor though and this was our one chance to rack up a score really. Now we're totally reliant on Wexford, assuming that we do get over this and there's no guarantee of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement