Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Offaly hit the first 2 points of the half, Nolan and Dooley; Browne put us back in front quickly and now Bergin has just levelled it again. And now another great score from play for Tobin... very quick pace at the start of the 2nd half.

5 points in 3 minutes.

Quirke and Tobin exchange points from play, Tobin seems to be on fire. Causing havoc inside when he gets good ball.

Hannon hit a free from the '65 to extend the lead to 2 points and Tobin hits another fantastic score, Liam Aherne is raving about him.

Dooley scores again; Hickey has to go off injured, Seanie O'Brien on, see how he does.

Paul Browne scores again; David Reidy is now on for John Fitzgibbon.

• Advertisement

Dooley free & Quirke cut the gap to 1.

Monster score from Dermot Mooney levels the game!

Limerick just hit their 12th wide.

Mooney gets another! Offaly in the lead.

Extra man beginning to tell?? 1-16 to 0-18 in favour of Whelehan's charges.

Currams hits another, with a goal on! Hannon was turned over in defence by Currams.

Dooley gets another, 3 points behind! In a bit of trouble.

Cian Lynch has just made a great catch but Browne tried a pass instead of a shot and it didn't work.

Bergin hits another, they lead by 4; 7 points in a row for them!

14 wides for Limerick, we're in big, big trouble now. Make that 15.

• Advertisement

5 points down! Fcuking Offaly.

Score for Limerick at last! Seanie O'Brien puts the head down and over the bar.

COME ON LIMERICK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Seems Fireball, like yere going to need leaders to step up now and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. What is it with Offaly and ye?

Super score from Joe Bergin, game seems to be slipping. Offaly winning everything really... the man less means that they are able to hold onto their lead.

Reidy scores a free; Tobin gone off bewilderingly and Quaid has just had to make a save to deny a goal.

Offaly have big numbers back and we seem to be going route one. Not good.

Browne hits a point. Goal down, time almost up.

It's over. Offaly win, we're in Division 1B for another year.

The red card for Dowling was a killer but we looked like we were going to get the win midway through the 2nd half... Offaly stepped up but is that good enough?

Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

i said it here a few months ago and was laugh out of the place, offaly never did fear limerick and would beat them 9 times out of 10 and tonight proves it again, Limerick die when they see the green white and gold, they can't handle their style of hurling never could. big blow for limerick hurling again at the hands of offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

i said it here a few months ago and was laugh out of the place, offaly never did fear limerick and would beat them 9 times out of 10 and tonight proves it again, Limerick die when they see the green white and gold, they can't handle their style of hurling never could. big blow for limerick hurling again at the hands of offaly.

70 minutes with a man down & they lose by a score- Hardly died. Would Love a rattle of Offaly in the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It's over. Offaly win, we're in Division 1B for another year.

The red card for Dowling was a killer but we looked like we were going to get the win midway through the 2nd half... Offaly stepped up but is that good enough?

Disaster.
    Fckin offaly, fckin 1b, we'll be stuck there for next year again as we won't beat any 1a team, and we'll be beaten away to fckin Offaly, whatever crisis in Clare we could have been worse, lucky to draw with waterford, lucky to beat Wexford, relying now on coming 'under the radar' into the championship and a moral victory or two before going out in quarter or semi, we're very far from winning an AI, fooling ourselves if we think we're close, we've about 10 players top class, big drop off after that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Fckin offaly, fckin 1b, we'll be stuck there for next year again as we won't beat any 1a team, and we'll be beaten away to fckin Offaly, whatever crisis in Clare we could have been worse, lucky to draw with waterford, lucky to beat Wexford, relying now on coming 'under the radar' into the championship and a moral victory or two before going out in quarter or semi, we're very far from winning an AI, fooling ourselves if we think we're close, we've about 10 players top class, big drop off after that..

Don't mind the league - we have lost 1 match in 2 seasons there - it's a flawed system

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

70 minutes with a man down & they lose by a score- Hardly died. Would Love a rattle of Offaly in the championship

would want to do better than the last 4 times you meet them, offaly would beat them in 5 minutes like they done in 94:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

1b isn't all that bad. Waterford Limerick and Wexford are all the same standard and give each other a good game. I don't know how Offaly pulled off a win here but it proves they aren't all that bad. You are still guaranteed a game against a 1a team at the end of it too.

You also get to test new players against the likes of Antrim and Laois which is something you just can't do in 1a anymore unless you are one of the big three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Lads, relax. The league is essentially a training camp, the Limerick lads aren't even fully fit. Being in 1a is no advantage... The same old lines are rolled out every year and league form goes out the window for all teams come championship. We've blooded plenty of young lads, job done.

There's a few things.

I have no doubt we'd beat Offaly in the Championship. I'm also fairly sure we'd have beaten them with 15 men. But we should probably have beaten them with 14, the reason we were down to 14 was our own doing. Dowling isn't a dirty player by any means, so it is surprising that he was involved in something like that.

But there has to be question marks over the management too, only brought on a few subs and we seemed to be flagging. Some may say we didn't have the players on the bench but why didn't we pick a larger panel.

I'm fair sick of 1B though... obviously Championship is the big thing but there are only a certain amount of matches in a year and 1A matches are going to attract bigger crowds than 1B ones.

We're probably going to end up 3rd now. Get a crack off Tipperary or Cork in the quarter-final, hopefully up our game for that and build from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I hope Limerick play Offaly in the championship, because they will absolutely annihilate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I'd have to agree with you, you did indeed say that to be fair
    Now I must admit myself I never saw offaly beating them as to be fair there poor enough, I saw wexford more of a danger and I said many times here wexford would beat limerick and last year win v them was only due to tired wexford team and taking away that result, limerick bar one good win v tipperary imo were hugely over rated and as proven as I said at the start, and it drew critsom when I said tj was a great player but imo is tactical poor manager

Waterford are not great yet limerick struggling beat them and only drew Wexford I was wrong lost to them but we're haunted and I was at that game as didn't go cork kerry football as imo was meaning less game so I went to more important hurling game and wexford threw that game away
    Two games I'm a row limerick have been out played
    Hannon is an awesome forward
    But not a centre back at this level and I said from the start of the league the panel was not correct in balance of backs was wrong
    Tom Ryan dropped from the panel imo a poor call as he's an awesome hurler and would walk on most teams
    Limerick are still too direct and I'd seriously disagree with the view here there trying a sweeper, I still think there still long hopeless balls for the forwards who if get ball will score
    It was mentioned here that last week limerick were one step closer to all Ireland, imo there no where near an all Ireland
    They had to win this game and get promoted but they didn't
    Teams aspirations all Ireland must win these games.
    There will be talk that division two is not a disaster but look it is as no team in that division won all Ireland since wexford in 96.
    That record tells it own story and won't imo change this year. Imo serious questions of management were there after last week but management never learned the lesson from last week.
    All that was said was management issued stern words at half time v wexford as if they turned defeat around when in fact by picking not best team or reaction game flow imo nearly cost them the game
    This results is a huge shock to loose to offaly I feel but sooner or later a result like tonight was on the cards.
    The talk is next week game will be moved to the gaelic grounds from killmallock
    If limerick some how depending on other results tomorrow go up it still imo won't hide series tactical weaknesses in this current management who imo have great passion organisation and commitment no doubt but you must have tactical awareness to win all Ireland
    I as many know here am a huge dowling fan and I feel for him tonight, imo not a dirty player and I hope he's not blamed for the result as imo limerick should be winning this game anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I found the post you're responding to; literally nobody responded to it, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93064862

I don't know how nobody replying to or disagreeing with what you wrote constitutes being 'laughed out of it', but whatever....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

It's a poor result, but I agree with someone above, the league is a training camp, and should be treated as such by players, management and supporters.

I'd have to be paid to go a league match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Lads, this is a major blow. You can make all the reasons to justify 1B as not being all that bad as you like, but the simple fact of the matter remains now that we are going to begin our sixth straight year out of the top division next year. Think about what that says about where we stand.

I'll say a bit more about the game later when I've had a chance to digest it all, but it's very foolish of any player to get sent off that quickly into a match for a dirty stroke like that. Completely throws the game plan out the window, we coped well for 50 minuted but we waned from there on. For a ten minute spell we hit wide after wide while Offaly hit a bit of a purple patch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement