Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

The only time i heard a players name shouted yesterday was for Hannon. I don't know was it just a case of people didn't know the other players or is Hannon seen as the golden boy of Limerick hurling with supporters. Lads Hannon is not a 6. Lost his man countless times, looked very lazy and out of position a lot of the time and looked very out of place. To be honest he only gets in the team at times for one simple reason......he's Declan Hannon.

Don't get me wrong, he has an abundance of talent but how many times have we seen this in the last 3 years? Once maybe against Kilkenny? Players shouldn't be training and playing knowing that because of their reputation they'll get on the team.

@Hanalei, I know you're from Adare and all but how can you say Hannon was decent last night when it was clear he was shown up against a poor Offaly team. I feel sorry for Fitzgibbon as he's not a corner forward and should be out of the field more.

Still bucking about that early red card and the general performance of the referree. Now we didn't lose due to the referees performance but it doesn't help. Also very poor to see so much forwards on the bench and no defenders. By right, seanie o b isn't a defender so we had no out and out defenders on the bench.

TJ has to give the rest of the squad a game against laois now and it'd be very disappointing if he didn't. Another league campaign passes by and sure how many new players can we say will make an impact on the first 15 now? I for one wouldn't start lynch against Clare but he'd be a fantastic impact sub along with seanie o brien. No other players, especially the forwards, have impressed so nothing new in the forward line come championship time which is worrying if injuries strike.

Hopefully hickeys injury isn't too bad anyway and regardless of what we have done in the league, we still have the beating of Clare. Here's hoping for another munster final appearance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Colemania wrote: »

@Hanalei, I know you're from Adare and all but how can you say Hannon was decent last night when it was clear he was shown up against a poor Offaly team. I feel sorry for Fitzgibbon as he's not a corner forward and should be out of the field more.
    Ah come on, my club has nothing to do with my opinion of how players perform. Last night was not conclusive either way on Hannon as a centre back, he certainly wasn't "shown up", made a few errors but he showed enough to suggest he may be an improvement on McNamara. One game isn't enough to judge it, he's new to the position at this level after all, we'd be best served leaving him there next weekend just to give him a little more time, and like I said, the quarter final against 1A opposition will give is the best indication as to whether we should persist with it or push him back up the pitch. The verdict so far is "Inconclusive".

As for Fitzgibbon, Fireball07 summed that up, the red card meant he was not going to be deployed as originally intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

The criticism of hannon is fair enough, he's not going to be brilliant every game but if he can deliver like he did against KK last year then he has to be our centre back. We have to play him there in the league QF and see how he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

3 goals early on in the Limerick/Fermanagh game; Eoin Donnelly got the 1st for Fermanagh, Robert Browne got one for Limerick but Fermanagh just got a second.

2-3 to 1-2 down, I thought it started at 2.30pm.

Limerick doing well- Neville & Corbett both get good scores, only a goal behind against one of the top teams.

Doing well around midfield which is encouraging for the summer- Hegarty & Lee will compete strongly against most teams. If we get Ian Ryan back, we'll also have more threat up front.

• Advertisement

If the hurling had come down to scoring difference; Waterford put everything to bed today, beating Antrim 4-30 to 0-10. That's some scoring tbf, Waterford looking decent.

John Riordan just hit the crossbar and over the bar!!! 2-5 to 1-5

Fermanagh get 2 points in first half stoppage time after a long period of Limerick possession; disappointing. 5 behind at the break.

Jamie Lee & Micheál Brosnan have replaced Killian Phair & Danny Neville at the break.

Quigley & Nash exchange points, Peter the first Limerick player to hit two scores.

Fermanagh go on a bit of a run, a flurry of scores means they lead by 7; 2-10 to 1-06.

• Advertisement

Another 2 points for Fermanagh, probably out of reach :(

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Jamie Lee & Micheál Brosnan have replaced Killian Phair & Danny Neville at the break.

How is Killian Phair playing for Linerick these days?

Jampip wrote: »
    How is Killian Phair playing for Linerick these days?

He's alright.

A decent score-taker but is in and out of the team, scored a free today but nothing from play. I like him, but I'm not sure he's a top forward, even at Limerick's level; if we had everybody available, he wouldn't start.

Game in Brewster Park is dead, Fermanagh really upped it in the 2nd half, they're too good for this division. Limerick disappointingly couldn't live with the pace and haven't threatened at all really- only 1 point scored, Fermanagh winning everything.

2-15 to 1-06; a 12-point lead.

Pa Ranahan is making his return though, quality footballer in place of Steve Cahill.

Gearoid Hegarty absolutely wrecked, gone off for David Ward.

Limerick get a couple of scores- Darragh Treacy when a goal was possibly on, and Johnny Mac up from full-back.

Late consolation goal for Limerick, David Ward diverts a long ball from Buckley to the net. He seems to have made an impact since coming on, won a few balls.

Final Score: Fermanagh 2-19 Limerick 2-10

Fermanagh are simply a level above us at the moment. Last 2 games are must-wins, but Clare came back strongly against Armagh before fading away, while Louth lost to Tipp by a decent amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Agree with Hanalei on Hannon, @Colemania, think you might be a bit harsh in your criticism. He hasn't fully delivered on his massive potential yet, but he has spent a lot of time injured and has always performed for us once he got a run of games IMO.

I still think he's a more natural forward, but he seems to be the only player that management have identified as a centre back option so I'd be in favour of leaving him there for the next two games. He has all the attributes necessary for a 6 on paper, and any player would need a couple of games to settle in there, so leave home there.

If it was me I'd be looking at Hickey at 6 but that won't happen now.

Any thoughts on a potential U-21 team for the summer? 10 of the players who started against Clare last year are underage + Barry O'Connell & Ronan Lynch who probably would have started if they were fit.

I think we might see something like:

1. Darragh Stapleton
    2. Sean Finn
    3. Richie English
    4. Shane Irwin
    5. Ronan Lynch
    6. Diarmuid Byrnes
    7. Barry O'Connell
    8. Cian Lynch
    9. Darragh O'Donovan
    10. Barry Nash
    11. Tom Morrissey
    12. David Dempsey
    13. Colin Ryan
    14. Kevin O'Brien
    15. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave

That leaves out William O'Donoghue, Liam O'Sullivan, Pat Ryan, Mark Buckley, James Carrig, Bryan Griffin, Jack Kelleher, Dean Coleman and Brian Finn from last year's panel but that does look like a very strong team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Agree with Hanalei on Hannon, @Colemania, think you might be a bit harsh in your criticism. He hasn't fully delivered on his massive potential yet, but he has spent a lot of time injured and has always performed for us once he got a run of games IMO.

I still think he's a more natural forward, but he seems to be the only player that management have identified as a centre back option so I'd be in favour of leaving him there for the next two games. He has all the attributes necessary for a 6 on paper, and any player would need a couple of games to settle in there, so leave home there.

If it was me I'd be looking at Hickey at 6 but that won't happen now.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion sure so I won't add anymore to this. I hope we've a settled team to play Clare anyway

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on a potential U-21 team for the summer? 10 of the players who started against Clare last year are underage + Barry O'Connell & Ronan Lynch who probably would have started if they were fit.

1. Darragh Stapleton
    2. Sean Finn
    3. Richie English
    4. Shane Irwin
    5. Ronan Lynch
    6. Diarmuid Byrnes
    7. Barry O'Connell
    8. Cian Lynch
    9. Darragh O'Donovan
    10. Barry Nash
    11. Tom Morrissey
    12. David Dempsey
    13. Colin Ryan
    14. Kevin O'Brien

That leaves out William O'Donoghue, Liam O'Sullivan, Pat Ryan, Mark Buckley, James Carrig, Bryan Griffin, Jack Kelleher, Dean Coleman and Brian Finn from last year's panel but that does look like a very strong team.

I'd like to see Ronan Lynch midfield or wing forward. Dylan Dawson, and Peter casey worth mentions too. I'd switch a good few positions from your line up above, ALTC further back the pitch, Morrissey an inside forward. Still a very young and callow u21 team (compared to Clare last year say) but a lot of talent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭slegs

1. Darragh Stapleton
    2. Sean Finn
    3. Richie English
    4. Shane Irwin
    5. Ronan Lynch
    6. Diarmuid Byrnes
    7. Barry O'Connell
    8. Cian Lynch
    9. Darragh O'Donovan
    10. Barry Nash
    11. Tom Morrissey
    12. David Dempsey
    13. Colin Ryan
    14. Kevin O'Brien

That looks a very good team to be fair

I'd like to see Ronan Lynch midfield or wing forward. Dylan Dawson, and Peter casey worth mentions too. I'd switch a good few positions from your line up above, ALTC further back the pitch, Morrissey an inside forward. Still a very young and callow u21 team (compared to Clare last year say) but a lot of talent there.

Dawson, both Michael & Peter Casey, Seamus Flanagan, maybe Gearoid Hegarty and Jody Hannon will probably be in contention too. Depends if minors are going to be involved.

I suppose you could switch them around to make those changes, ALTC taking Lynch's half-back slot, Ronan Lynch taking Cian Lynch's midfield spot, Cian Lynch coming into the half-forward line for Morrissey, maybe moving Nash centrally with Morrissey moving inside.

It's good that these players are so versatile, I like Tom Morrissey as a puck-out target at centre-forward though... I also rate ALTC's scoring potential really highly. Ronan Lynch is a great midfielder tbf but so is Cian.

We have plenty of options in any case.

1. Darragh Stapleton
    2. Sean Finn
    3. Richie English
    4. Shane Irwin
    5. Ronan Lynch
    6. Diarmuid Byrnes
    7. Barry O'Connell
    8. Cian Lynch
    9. Darragh O'Donovan
    10. Barry Nash
    11. Tom Morrissey
    12. David Dempsey
    13. Colin Ryan
    14. Kevin O'Brien

Swap sean finn and ALTC for a start, yeah its youngish side but talented for sure

Disapointing weekend but in fairness kilmallock are representing us in an all Ireland final tuesday.

Best of luck to them they're seriously up against it, just hope they dont concede early goals and can keep it tight. They've showed their resilience this year and will probably need to show a lot more on tuesday. A couple of Mulcahy goals would be nice.

Swap sean finn and ALTC for a start, yeah its youngish side but talented for sure
    Disapointing weekend but in fairness kilmallock are representing us in an all Ireland final tuesday.

Best of luck to them they're seriously up against it, just hope they dont concede early goals and can keep it tight. They've showed their resilience this year and will probably need to show a lot more on tuesday. A couple of Mulcahy goals would be nice.

Agree and agree. Corner back could be a good entry point to the senior team for ALTC. If Kilmallock can stop Ballyhale scoring a hatful of goals I'd give them a great chance. If it's a close game I think they'll win.

Really? Sean Finn is a serious attacking prospect too, as he showed for Bruff, but at corner-back for the minors and for UL freshers, he's a very tight man marker. I've never seen ALTC play corner-back and I think it'd be a waste, he revels in the open spaces.

I think they can do it. They're up against it, but they've been written off all along. They have some players who can take scores from distance comfortably, lots of ballwinners all over the field, a reasonably strong defence (although this is their biggest test by far) and an ace in the hole in Graeme Mulcahy, who is just pure class, as good as any of the Ballyhale lads. Of course if they can keep him quiet, that would give them an advantage but in O'Brien, O'Mahony, Egan, Ryan, Jake Mul, O'Sullivan and Paddy O'Loughlin if he starts, there are plenty of other players that Ballyhale will have to keep an eye on.

It should be a very good match anyway. A win would be a great boost for Limerick club hurling in general, and would give those lads a lot of confidence heading into the league quarter-final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Colemania wrote: »
    The only time i heard a players name shouted yesterday was for Hannon. I don't know was it just a case of people didn't know the other players or is Hannon seen as the golden boy of Limerick hurling with supporters. Lads Hannon is not a 6. Lost his man countless times, looked very lazy and out of position a lot of the time and looked very out of place. To be honest he only gets in the team at times for one simple reason......he's Declan Hannon.

Don't get me wrong, he has an abundance of talent but how many times have we seen this in the last 3 years? Once maybe against Kilkenny? Players shouldn't be training and playing knowing that because of their reputation they'll get on the team.

Still bucking about that early red card and the general performance of the referree. Now we didn't lose due to the referees performance but it doesn't help. Also very poor to see so much forwards on the bench and no defenders. By right, seanie o b isn't a defender so we had no out and out defenders on the bench.

TJ has to give the rest of the squad a game against laois now and it'd be very disappointing if he didn't. Another league campaign passes by and sure how many new players can we say will make an impact on the first 15 now? I for one wouldn't start lynch against Clare but he'd be a fantastic impact sub along with seanie o brien. No other players, especially the forwards, have impressed so nothing new in the forward line come championship time which is worrying if injuries strike.

Hopefully hickeys injury isn't too bad anyway and regardless of what we have done in the league, we still have the beating of Clare. Here's hoping for another munster final appearance!

Absolutely. This confirms my worries about TJ Ryan. Hannon is a class forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Really? Sean Finn is a serious attacking prospect too, as he showed for Bruff, but at corner-back for the minors and for UL freshers, he's a very tight man marker. I've never seen ALTC play corner-back and I think it'd be a waste, he revels in the open spaces.

I think they can do it. They're up against it, but they've been written off all along. They have some players who can take scores from distance comfortably, lots of ballwinners all over the field, a reasonably strong defence (although this is their biggest test by far) and an ace in the hole in Graeme Mulcahy, who is just pure class, as good as any of the Ballyhale lads. Of course if they can keep him quiet, that would give them an advantage but in O'Brien, O'Mahony, Egan, Ryan, Jake Mul, O'Sullivan and Paddy O'Loughlin if he starts, there are plenty of other players that Ballyhale will have to keep an eye on.

It should be a very good match anyway. A win would be a great boost for Limerick club hurling in general, and would give those lads a lot of confidence heading into the league quarter-final.

If the heads are right I think kilmallock could do it, but they're up against a team that has done it all before, multiple times, so they are definitely up against it, need to be tuned in from the off...ballyhale have a few well over 30 so kilmallock should be keeping the tempo up and try to use the fresher legs, just hope they can keep with them for the first 20 and not concede goals early on, would be a great boost after all the limerick travails in all Ireland finals at croker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Mehapoy wrote: »
    If the heads are right I think kilmallock could do it, but they're up against a team that has done it all before, multiple times, so they are definitely up against it, need to be tuned in from the off...ballyhale have a few well over 30 so kilmallock should be keeping the tempo up and try to use the fresher legs, just hope they can keep with them for the first 20 and not concede goals early on, would be a great boost after all the limerick travails in all Ireland finals at croker...

Kilmallock have shown great maturity and tactical awareness in the campaign so far. I would trust sparrow to come up with a gameplan to neutralise Ballyhale's strengths and to attack them in their more vulnerable areas.
    Looking forward to cheering them on tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement