Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Cu Baire wrote: »
    Kilmallock have shown great maturity and tactical awareness in the campaign so far. I would trust sparrow to come up with a gameplan to neutralise Ballyhale's strengths and to attack them in their more vulnerable areas.
    Looking forward to cheering them on tomorrow.
    Here's hoping! went through kilmallock yesterday, great to see all the banners and flags out, every second young fella was carrying around a Hurley too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

So we are all agreed that Hannon to 6 is a no go. Glad it was dispensed with before we faced a decent outfit- It would have been agony watching him getting the round around v Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Vanolder wrote: »
    So we are all agreed that Hannon to 6 is a no go. Glad it was dispensed with before we faced a decent outfit- It would have been agony watching him getting the round around v Clare.

I expect he'll get a couple more chances there. Let him finish out the league there, we know what he can do in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I expect he'll get a couple more chances there. Let him finish out the league there, we know what he can do in attack.

If he's all for trying out people in new positions, why not throw Murphy in goals and give Quaid a go at 6? The question you have to ask yourself here is would sacrificing a very safe keeper in Quaid to potentially improve your half back line be worth it? I think he'd be a super addition to the half back line and although Murphy isn't as good as Quaid, I think if Hennessy was to be stuck in goals at the expense of a Quaid move to 6, it would work brilliantly. Although if rumours are to be believed, Hennessy had a fallout with previous Limerick management so although he was called up to the squad as 3rd choice keeper, I reckon he's a long way off getting a game for Limerick any time soon.

If only we'd got Cunningham.....

Colemania wrote: »
    If he's all for trying out people in new positions, why not throw Murphy in goals and give Quaid a go at 6? The question you have to ask yourself here is would sacrificing a very safe keeper in Quaid to potentially improve your half back line be worth it? I think he'd be a super addition to the half back line and although Murphy isn't as good as Quaid, I think if Hennessy was to be stuck in goals at the expense of a Quaid move to 6, it would work brilliantly. Although if rumours are to be believed, Hennessy had a fallout with previous Limerick management so although he was called up to the squad as 3rd choice keeper, I reckon he's a long way off getting a game for Limerick any time soon.

If only we'd got Cunningham.....

I'd be all in favour of giving Quaid a try at 6. Again there are questions marks over him at the top level but I think it'd be worth a go. But it seems unlikely at this stage, and he is a top class keeper.

I'm not writing off TJ this year, as long as he facilitates our best players to play as well as they can and we can score a few goals, we're a match for anybody in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

faced a decent team this is why limerick are still in division 1B, looking down there nose at teams they think they are better than, Limerick were well up for this after last year and the year before, but yet still got out hurl on the night. its 1973 since Limerick won the senior all ireland it will be another 42 years before they win another one with the way you look down on teams that have won loads more than them in the last 42 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

faced a decent team this is why limerick are still in division 1B, looking down there nose at teams they think they are better than, Limerick were well up for this after last year and the year before, but yet still got out hurl on the night. its 1973 since Limerick won the senior all ireland it will be another 42 years before they win another one with the way you look down on teams that have won loads more than them in the last 42 years.

Who are you talking about here, mate? Offaly are muck and won't see past June again this year. Limerick's record in the last three seasons is QF,SF,SF...You can harp back to the 90's if you want but right now Limerick are years ahead of the Biffos.

And what do you mean by still in 1b? The two divisions play off against each other, what difference does it make if you are in 1a and 1b? Limerick are in the quarter finals the same as 1a teams - Only difference is we have got there and haven't had to hurl yet- As usual we are easing our self into it, that's what the league is for is it not? According to a few members off the panel they are at only about 40% at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Unless Whelehan has been working the bacon slicer, I can only see one outcome in a LK v OF championship match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Here's hoping! went through kilmallock yesterday, great to see all the banners and flags out, every second young fella was carrying around a Hurley too!

Up the Balbec!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Who are you talking about here, mate? Offaly are muck and won't see past June again this year. Limerick's record in the last three seasons is QF,SF,SF...You can harp back to the 90's if you want but right now Limerick are years ahead of the Biffos.

And what do you mean by still in 1b? The two divisions play off against each other, what difference does it make if you are in 1a and 1b? Limerick are in the quarter finals the same as 1a teams - Only difference is we have got there and haven't had to hurl yet- As usual we are easing our self into it, that's what the league is for is it not? According to a few members off the panel they are at only about 40% at the minute.

Where I agree with the other poster is that it is an acute embarrassment to lose to Offaly. I could pull 15 punters off the street and they'd challenge them.

As for Hannon, we saw him come good in the championship last year. 1 way to fcuk a player up is move him around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

All agreed?? And where was it mentioned that it was dispensed with?? You can't just make things up to suit your own argument!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

while the goal should have stood , killmallock have hit a criminal amount of droped balls and wides , there well able for ballyhale out the field , not taken the chances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Keeper dropped it cold, you can be very sure it would have been a goal at the other end.

The wides from paidi in particular cost them the match

Barry Hennessey was blatantly tripped cleared the ball hurriedly and it ended up in the back of the net from there the game was over

Hennessey was really poor, he might be a better shot stopper than nicky but the hands and composure are not there, nicky for the summer.

Failed to get GOM or Mul into game

Good games from Aaron costelloe and Mark O'Loughlin

Disappointing if not unexpected result given the relative experience of both sides

No team can hit that many wides and win a game, Paudie had a shocker in that aspect. Needed to look for the pass more. Considering whenever Graeme Mulcahy got the ball, he looked good, it was an awful shame he didn't get it more.

Liam Walsh was one of the better players, I thought.

Players like O'Donnell, Jake Mulcahy, Bryan O'Sullivan who have been good all along were very poor today.

citykat wrote: »
    Unless Whelehan has been working the bacon slicer, I can only see one outcome in a LK v OF championship match.

got your answer again today good few killmallock hurlers could go to the bacon slicer after todays yet again no show from a limerick team in a final in croker:rolleyes:

Rightwing wrote: »
    Where I agree with the other poster is that it is an acute embarrassment to lose to Offaly. I could pull 15 punters off the street and they'd challenge them.

As for Hannon, we saw him come good in the championship last year. 1 way to fcuk a player up is move him around.

should have pull 15 of of the pubs today to play ballyhale if thats limericks best:D

talking of muck that was some muck today from limericks best, QF, SEMI Finals, its all the one no point in going up every year and the same story since 1973, offaly are also in the quarter finals all all the had to do was beat limerick after today and last weekend i'd be shutting my mouth about limerick hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Guys; do not feed.....

Disappointing for Kilmallock, but I never expected them to win it.

They needed that goal, and had a shot saved in first half when he should have scored. All in all though, you'd have to say they never got going.

Tough luck on Kilmallock today but that's what us non-Ballyhale folk here in KK have to put up with when our clubs come up against them. Ballyhale are not representative of club hurling in KK in that they're streets ahead of everyone else even Clara. If they're at full strength and up for it, they generally win. Kilmallock hit a lot of wides today but that happens when that type of strategy (long striking) doesn't come off. Kilmallock put it up to BH today particularly in the first half. But in typical BH fashion, once they got the goal and the lead they weren't going to be caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Tough luck on Kilmallock today but that's what us non-Ballyhale folk here in KK have to put up with when our clubs come up against them. Ballyhale are not representative of club hurling in KK in that they're streets ahead of everyone else even Clara. If they're at full strength and up for it, they generally win. Kilmallock hit a lot of wides today but that happens when that type of strategy (long striking) doesn't come off. Kilmallock put it up to BH today particularly in the first half. But in typical BH fashion, once they got the goal and the lead they weren't going to be caught.
    Bad week to be following limerick hurling, Kilmallock looked to be going well up to 20 mins, I think the ballyhale main men were much more prominent than Kilmallock's, Paudi O'Brien had a nightmare from the long range shots, usually so good, drained confidence from the rest of the team, gavin wasn't very prominent at all and the service that Graeme Mulcahy got was never to his advantage, maybe it just worked out that way but they were bombing ball down on the full forward line, the ballyhale backs were gobbling it up, surely that wasn't in the pre game plans...considering it's practically a once in a lifetime chance some of the kilmallock lads will be dissapointed they let the day pass them by, the wait for a limerick team to turn up on AI day in croker goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

Kilmallock didn't perform which must be really disappointing for the players.
    As said by a previous poster the long range efforts that were working up to this failed and they didn't change tac during the game to try an alternative.
    I hope that the players remember the performance they produced in the county final and the Munster final but its a tough station for them right now.

It was a fluke that they beat N Piarsaigh, they did well after that, until today.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Keeper dropped it cold, you can be very sure it would have been a goal at the other end.

The wides from paidi in particular cost them the match

Barry Hennessey was blatantly tripped cleared the ball hurriedly and it ended up in the back of the net from there the game was over

Hennessey was really poor, he might be a better shot stopper than nicky but the hands and composure are not there, nicky for the summer.

Failed to get GOM or Mul into game

Good games from Aaron costelloe and Mark O'Loughlin

Disappointing if not unexpected result given the relative experience of both sides
    Paddy I think you should have another look at that incident as that clearance ended up with a Kilmallock player having a free shot at goals which went wide. Colin Fennelly then won the breaking ball from the puckout and got a clear run on the goal. The keeper or the ref was in no way responsible for that goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Rightwing wrote: »
    It was a fluke that they beat N Piarsaigh, they did well after that, until today.

I wouldn't agree it was a fluke they win that game, they did cause a shock but we're full value for that win v na piarsaigh
    I said this before though the problem was kilmallock were a solid team and fair play winning munster but they were way over rated by some in limerick hurling who thought they actually had a chance to win and they imo had glaring weakness in two games that were ignored imo

They deserved to beat sarafields cork but as I said at the time that cork team were awful in dismal cork championship who were beating glen who had four games I'm four weeks
    They struggled in extra time to beat sarafields and also cratole once went extra time course kilmallock going to win as cratole were wrecked from dual codes
    Yes kilmallock deserve credit for munster but imo lucky to meet poor oppositen and a team with dual ethos, once met ballyhale was always going to be a huge defeat

I'm not just saying this now, in hindsight, I said this many times before
    There was talk of the sparrow having a great tactical game plan by some
    He's a good coach at club but to be fair he can't change game plan as only chance kilmallock imo had was a sweeper but limerick teams won't change from orthodox long direct style which they should realise is meat and drink to kilkenny teams who have beaten them at minor, senior and club and schools within the past year

This game also proved with out a doubt gavin o mahonry on he's day is outstanding half back but as fennelly dominate him not an inter county forward at all

The last week has been an eye opener that if lessons are learned limerick hurling could improve in both senior team and kilmallock waster long balls to their full forward line with no avail

The limerick club scene is not that great however it is much better than cork who imo scene is need radical over haul
    I thought and was surprised ballyhale just got one goal yesterday but I think if needed more they could got them

Tj Ryan just needs to watch this game and he'd see gavin is not a centre forward and sooner he puts hannon to eleven and gavin to the back the better for the team
    Playing lads out of positions imo is grasping at straws
    I have no doubt the talent is In limerick to win all Ireland but the style has to change and tactical selector proven in success needs to be added and soon as limerick has outstanding young hurling talent coming through

I wouldn't agree it was a fluke they win that game, they did cause a shock but we're full value for that win v na piarsaigh
    I said this before though the problem was kilmallock were a solid team and fair play winning munster but they were way over rated by some in limerick hurling who thought they actually had a chance to win and they imo had glaring weakness in two games that were ignored imo

They deserved to beat sarafields cork but as I said at the time that cork team were awful in dismal cork championship who were beating glen who had four games I'm four weeks
    They struggled in extra time to beat sarafields and also cratole once went extra time course kilmallock going to win as cratole were wrecked from dual codes
    Yes kilmallock deserve credit for munster but imo lucky to meet poor oppositen and a team with dual ethos, once met ballyhale was always going to be a huge defeat

I'm not just saying this now, in hindsight, I said this many times before
    There was talk of the sparrow having a great tactical game plan by some
    He's a good coach at club but to be fair he can't change game plan as only chance kilmallock imo had was a sweeper but limerick teams won't change from orthodox long direct style which they should realise is meat and drink to kilkenny teams who have beaten them at minor, senior and club and schools within the past year

This game also proved with out a doubt gavin o mahonry on he's day is outstanding half back but as fennelly dominate him not an inter county forward at all

The last week has been an eye opener that if lessons are learned limerick hurling could improve in both senior team and kilmallock waster long balls to their full forward line with no avail

The limerick club scene is not that great however it is much better than cork who imo scene is need radical over haul
    I thought and was surprised ballyhale just got one goal yesterday but I think if needed more they could got them

Tj Ryan just needs to watch this game and he'd see gavin is not a centre forward and sooner he puts hannon to eleven and gavin to the back the better for the team
    Playing lads out of positions imo is grasping at straws
    I have no doubt the talent is In limerick to win all Ireland but the style has to change and tactical selector proven in success needs to be added and soon as limerick has outstanding young hurling talent coming through

I wouldn't be pessimistic after yesterday, but some of your points are particularly valid.

Limerick are 1 from 7 that can win the AI. KK are no longer ahead of the pack. It will be a very close and competitive year.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Its as simple as this.

That Ballyhale team would give most intercounties a run for their money.

A half forward line of Sheffline Cha Fitz and TJ Reid is some line for Club Championships.

But as Regards intercounty hurling there is nothing between ye and Kilkenny.
    I thought last years Semi was very close, the goal Richie Power got before half time was a sucker punch.

I know ye might be dissapointed with the league but come the Summer ye'll be hard to beat.

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Its as simple as this.

A half forward line of Sheffline Cha Fitz and TJ Reid is some line for Club Championships.

I thought last years Semi was very close, the goal Richie Power got before half time was a sucker punch.

I know ye might be dissapointed with the league but come the Summer ye'll be hard to beat.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I think it's wrong to assess LK club and IC hurling on the basis of yesterday. Maybe deploying a sweeper would have worked for Kilmallock yesterday but BH come up against it all the time both here in KK and further afield and have prospered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Its as simple as this.

It was Richie Hogan who got that goal wasn't it? We may end up hard to beat but that seems to be our problem. Always there or thereabouts but never actually putting the hand up and kicking on for the win. Clare game will tell a lot this year. I mean this in the nicest possible way but I want KK to get relegated! They're the yard stick and we need more experience playing the top teams.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I think it's wrong to assess LK club and IC hurling on the basis of yesterday. Maybe deploying a sweeper would have worked for Kilmallock yesterday but BH come up against it all the time both here in KK and further afield and have prospered.

Obviously it's madness using Kilmallock's one-off performance to comment on the state of Limerick hurling. Kilmallock are a lot better than that performance and did reach the final. That would seem to suggest they are one of the top teams in the country anyway. But even if they were the best, it wouldn't mean that Limerick were going to win the AI.

Not playing a sweeper wasn't what killed Kilmallock, in fact they often had an extra man in defence; when the game was in the balance, they were coping well enough with Ballyhale's forwards, but their forwards were getting wiped out and the pressure was going to tell eventually.

Limerick are good enough to win an All-Ireland this year, but so are plenty of teams. You need a healthy dose of luck along the way.

Even the Clare match, I could see Limerick winning that but I'd say we'd have to raise our levels by another 20-25% if we were to go all the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement