Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/1018/limerick_allenj.html

jayney mac hes after acting pretty ruthlessly, i hope these guys can prove themselves at club level and get back in for limericks sake, back to the doldrums of 2 years ago otherwise in my opinion.

If that really is your opinion, then stick to talking about Waterford as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to Limerick. Most of those players were barely on the fringes anyway, Donie Ryan is too old, Lucey and Reale have been displaced by younger players due to injury issues and loss of pace, Murray has been displaced by Quaid and he's not one of Limerick's best 3 keepers (he'd be behind Flynn and Hennessey).

Those 9 players played a staggering 54 minutes of hurling between them in Limerick's 4 championship games this year. And only 4 of them made the bench in Limerick's last game. The heart has well and truly been ripped out of our team alright :rolleyes:

None of those 9 players started a championship match for Limerick this year, so anyone (like yourself) who feels Limerick badly need them is clueless. Though I know you're not clueless, judging by your posts in the last few pages which are all negative/sarcastic I believe it would be fair to accuse you of trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Thats your opinion, and your entitled to it, but I can't see how you would be bothered by me giving my opinion on Limerick seeing as I am a GAA fan...
    jordainius wrote: »
    Most of those players were barely on the fringes anyway, Donie Ryan is too old, Lucey and Reale have been displaced by younger players due to injury issues and loss of pace, Murray has been displaced by Quaid and he's not one of Limerick's best 3 keepers (he'd be behind Flynn and Hennessey).

Those 9 players played a staggering 54 minutes of hurling between them in Limerick's 4 championship games this year. And only 4 of them made the bench in Limerick's last game. The heart has well and truly been ripped out of our team alright :rolleyes:

None of those 9 players started a championship match for Limerick this year, so anyone (like yourself) who feels Limerick badly need them is clueless. Though I know you're not clueless, judging by your posts in the last few pages which are all negative/sarcastic I believe it would be fair to accuse you of trolling.

I respect that he is putting his trust in youth for 2012, which is something that Limerick have in abundance, but I don't thing that you can cull 9 players from this seasons squad, even though he is not technically cutting anyone from a squad he ever picked. Im just of the opinion that a squad should be a mix of youth and experience and I'd hope for Limericks sake that this isn't suicide. The fact that limerick have found a competitive level in Div 1B though should give a nice platform to blood these young guys. Just hope it isnt another false down investing trust in youth like 9-10 years ago.
    jordainius wrote: »
    judging by your posts in the last few pages which are all negative/sarcastic I believe it would be fair to accuse you of trolling.

im all for the hurling

league fixtures -

DIVISION 1B – February 25: Limerick v Clare

February 26: Offaly v Laois, Antrim v Wexford

March 11: Clare v Antrim, Wexford v Offaly, Laois v Limerick

March 18: Offaly v Antrim, Wexford v Limerick, Laois v Clare.

March 24: Limerick v Offaly

March 25 Clare v Wexford, Antrim v Laois

April 1: Wexford v Laois, Offaly v Clare, Antrim v Limerick

some very tough tests for Limerick, especially on March 11th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

league fixtures -

Yeah you're spot on there. Sure we haven't beaten Laois since the 1930's I believe. Recent meetings between Limerick and Laois would conclusively point to a win for Laois.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

league fixtures -

How come you pick out the game away to Laois as the tough game? I know Laois are making great strides, but in fairness to them I would have thought any 1 of the others games could be regarded as a tougher test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Clareman wrote: »
    How come you pick out the game away to Laois as the tough game? I know Laois are making great strides, but in fairness to them I would have thought any 1 of the others games could be regarded as a tougher test

He is making a patethic attempt at trolling and every post he has had on the GAA board in the past two months has been in this thread attempting to wind up Limerick supporters, bit sad really but there you go, sign of the times in blaaa land I guess ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No need for you to speak for the poster, I'm sure he/she is able to speak for themselves, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they know a lot about the reigning division 2 champions and their games in the upcoming season rather than trolling, after all we don't like trolls around here and trolls get breaks from forums around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Without wanting to be disrespectful towards any of the other teams, Limerick should really win the league tbh.

Obviously it will depend on form and how well new players integrate for all teams but we beat Clare twice last year and I think we've improved again since then. We beat Wexford in the Championship fairly well...and I think the two of them are better than Offaly, Antrim and Laois.

As of last season, I'd have had Limerick ahead of Cork and Galway too and if we play at the same level as last year, I'd be expecting us to win the league.

Hopefully we can strengthen in a couple of positions...Shane Dowling in the half-forward line somewhere, alongside Hannon and someone else.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Without wanting to be disrespectful towards any of the other teams, Limerick should really win the league tbh.

I agree with FB, Limerick should top their table in fairness.... Only thing I was mentioning about Laois was cos I have 2 close friends on the Laois panel and they where saying to me last weekend how they where expecting to take a "scalp" in the league, and they where gunning for Limerick, didn't say Limerick would lose, just that they'd have a tough test... also I don't think Teddy Macarthy is messing about up there... so two teams with youth on their side and 2 corkonian managers in their first league with these clubs should make for an interesting encounter.........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know if their is a Limerick GAA supporters club based in Dublin?

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone know if their is a Limerick GAA supporters club based in Dublin?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49819888485&v=wall - i know one of my buddies was involved with these when he lived up there

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49819888485&v=wall - i know one of my buddies was involved with these when he lived up there
    Thanks for the link. Its the hurling team I support so intend to try and get to most of their league games.

I was thinking of getting one of these as a gift for my dad who is from Limerick and is a big hurling fan. Do you think they look tacky/stupid? Opinions appreciated

http://www.backstreet-merch.com/bands/pmun/product.asp?item=pmun15

http://www.backstreet-merch.com/bands/pmun/product.asp?item=pmun17

The second one looks nice

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Are Na Piarsiagh optimistic of beating Ballygunner? who'd be their main lads?

comeraghs wrote: »
    Are Na Piarsiagh optimistic of beating Ballygunner? who'd be their main lads?

I think Ballygunner are favourites, and probably deservedly so. Rightly or wrongly, people in Limerick would have preferred to see them in the other side of the draw and would see Ballygunner as the strongest side in Munster.

But they still have a chance, of course. Shane Dowling is probably the main man, only 18 and still a minor (scored 3-7 in the minor final which Na Piarsaigh also won) but a fantastic free-taker, great ball-winning ability and well able to score from play too. Kevin Downes too...I think most people know about him, on form he can be deadly. David Breen's another intercounty player, been very impressive at centre-forward for Na Piarsaigh and James O'Brien has been superb at centre-back. Alan Dempsey was very good for the U-21s this year but I don't think he's made as much of an impact in the club championship, but he's still a serious talent. And both Kieran Breen and Kieran Bermingham in the full-back line are very solid defenders and have been crucial for them.

Damien Quigley and Shane O'Neill were both intercounty players in the 90s but are well past their best at this stage. Still they are experienced and are still very skilled.

But Na Piarsaigh are inexperienced at this stage while Ballygunner are very experienced and have a team filled with intercounty stars. I hope Na Piarsaight win, Limerick hurling did well this year and Na Piarsaigh are a good side, with lots of young players and if they can make an impact then maybe some of these players (Dowling, Downes, O'Brien, Dempsey) can make an impact at senior inter-county level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Congratulations to Effin on their great success today on winning the Munster Intermediate hurling final.

A good win for them. Liam Ahearn was nearly crying at how good Nicky Quaid was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

A good win for them. Liam Ahearn was nearly crying at how good Nicky Quaid was.

Well done Effin,Ya Nicky Quaid seemed to be everywhere in the second half,won puck outs and breaks and swept up everything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Nicky Quaid was awesome and deserved M.O.M closely followed by his opposite number on the Ballyduff side. This was one of the finest occasions in club hurling that i've ever witnessed. 2 excellent and brilliantly well coached teams going hammer and tongs in search of glory,refereed with total common sense by Michael Wadding in front of the biggest crowd at the well prepared Newcastlewest venue for many a year. The only regret is that there had to be a loser. Tough game without a dirty stroke from either side,cant honestly remember a yellow card.!!
    Players from both sides receiving hard but fair knocks but immediately back on their feet without complaint. Heartiest congrats to a mighty Effin team and well done a gallant and most sporting Ballyduff side. Surely this fine club will bounce back and claim this title in 2012.
    Great to see the game alive and well in the Kingdom.
    Long live the great game of hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Well done Effin,Ya Nicky Quaid seemed to be everywhere in the second half,won puck outs and breaks and swept up everything really.

Is he not a keeper? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is he not a keeper? :confused:

Centre back for his club.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Centre back for his club.

i was there as a kerry hurling follower , great occassion and credit to everyone. Limerick must have some team this year if they can afford to leave nicky quaid in goals he was magnificent .

How does he get practice at being a keeper?

How does he get practice at being a keeper?

In Limerick training. I think he used to play in goals for them when he was younger too, he's been playing for the juniors since he was 14 and I know my club used to put 15-year-olds in goal.

He played outfield for Limerick under Justin and he was excellent imo. One of the best players on the team. Wing-back and midfield that year.

But Brian Murray won an all-star and was a very good goalie, and he plays in the forwards for Patrickswell.

In Limerick training. I think he used to play in goals for them when he was younger too, he's been playing for the juniors since he was 14 and I know my club used to put 15-year-olds in goal.

He played outfield for Limerick under Justin and he was excellent imo. One of the best players on the team. Wing-back and midfield that year.

But Brian Murray won an all-star and was a very good goalie, and he plays in the forwards for Patrickswell.

Really? Don't remember him at all! Might we see him outfield next year d'ya think?

To be honest, Murray got a token all star that year! Made some decent saves, but ultimately he was found put between the inter-provincial game, and the following year against Clare, making two disastrous mistakes!

Really? Don't remember him at all! Might we see him outfield next year d'ya think?

To be honest, Murray got a token all star that year! Made some decent saves, but ultimately he was found put between the inter-provincial game, and the following year against Clare, making two disastrous mistakes!

He was more prominent in the league...he didn't really stand out in the Championship as much but he was decent and was one of the players I wanted to stay on. He was only 21 anyway. I think we could see him outfield...great fielder of the ball. It's a pity he's not a full-back, he'd be an almost certainity there. He's not going to displace Hickey or Gavin O'Mahoney but if it was between him and Wayne Mac, I certainly think he's a more skliful hurler. But I suppose it depends on goalie options too, if Aaron Murphy is ready to make the step up.

And Murray was caught out eventually but at the same time, I still think he was the best keeper around that year. Didn't make any real mistakes that Championship season.

He was more prominent in the league...he didn't really stand out in the Championship as much but he was decent and was one of the players I wanted to stay on. He was only 21 anyway. I think we could see him outfield...great fielder of the ball. It's a pity he's not a full-back, he'd be an almost certainity there. He's not going to displace Hickey or Gavin O'Mahoney but if it was between him and Wayne Mac, I certainly think he's a more skliful hurler. But I suppose it depends on goalie options too, if Aaron Murphy is ready to make the step up.

And Murray was caught out eventually but at the same time, I still think he was the best keeper around that year. Didn't make any real mistakes that Championship season.

Sure it'll be interesting, it is an unusual one for me, first I've heard of something like this, though Damien Fitzhenry started out as a forward and of course we've all heard about Shefflin being minor sub keeper for Kilkenny.

Sure I know i'm only biased (:D) but I did feel that of all the years, Clinton Hennessey could have gotten one. People always go on about goals conceded but they were a reflection of the man in front of him in my opinion! He made crucial saves against Limerick in Munster, and against Cork in the replay, also making a smart save from Sean O'Connor I think in the second half of the all-ireland semi, as well as flicking the ball off Shefflin's hurley in the league final. Of course, if he had been given it, there'd have been uproar about him only being an 'average' keeper, and for politics sake they had to give Murray the award to sort of reflect the respective years of the counties, probably feeling that 6-2 in favour of Waterford would be imbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Ya, that was a token all-star that Murray got. did actually have a good league that year all right but that seldom counts. had very little to do in the championship.
    Tadhg Flynn of Ahane and formally Kerry played under Justin and was excellent as is young Hennessy of Kilmallock.
    By the was it was always said that Fitzhenry was the best all round hurler in Wexford and played mostly at wing forward.
    And Nicky's father the late Tommy played most of his adult hurling in the forwards,first with his native Feoghanagh/Castlemahon and in later years when he settled in Effin. he was easily one of the top forwards in Limerick but was Limerick 'keeper for 17 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭big toenails

Big question this year for me is who going in goals? Aaron or Nicky?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement