Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭LMK

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Shane Dowling had a better year than 3 of 4 of those players last year. I'm not really worried about the quality of our star forwards... KK didn't even play Hogan in attack last year and even when TJ Reid was held by Hickey, it wasn't enough to win. It's the backup forwards if one of the big names is having an off-day and our half-back line that is worrying. I think we are making the right moves to address the first half, not sure about the 2nd.

I agree with you, Dowling could be the main man he exhibited real coolness under pressure last year.
    The HB line does need strengthening, I think that Wayne Mac is our best bet for CB, its too late now but I like Stephen Walsh I think he could play the position in a effective way, if Tom Condon is fit for Saturday I'd play him to be Right half back and I'd play Paudie on the left, he's plenty of hurling and I don't think any of the others who've played there so far have done enough to take over the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

We were shocking against Galway in the league last year, but we turned it around for the championship so yes it can be done.

However i'd prefer the waterford route, to have a system and go out and try and work on it every game so that every player is comfortable when it matters in the heat of battle.

The players and supporters need a lift after last few weeks and croker saturday is a place to lay down a marker for the year, I hope they go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'm looking at the prices. We are Evs v Dublin. Waterford favourites v Galway. Bookies don't seem to think the gap is that big between the leagues. I agree with this.

We are also 4th favs for the AI @ 11/2. That's too short imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'm looking at the prices. We are Evs v Dublin. Waterford favourites v Galway. Bookies don't seem to think the gap is that big between the leagues. I agree with this.

That's mad. We'd be at least 6/4 in a final and at best an even money shot to win a semi final.

I think Dublin will be aerially too strong for us. We should be targeting a win here though!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Any reports on who is available for this match? Whether or not we will be able to realistically challenge Dublin will depend on what players will return from injury/club duty.

Random thoughts:
    With more questions than answers regarding the half-back line at this point, as much promise as GOM showed at half-forward against Waterford is he needed back at 7? Has been largely very good there over the past number of years and will deliver better ball forward than Morrissey is at the moment.

If Wayne Mac is available do we bite the bullet and put him back to 6 or do we persist with the Hannon experiment? At this point I would still struggle to guess who will start in the half-back line in May. Who is going to provide pace to this line.

To beat Dublin with the players that are available we need to spray the ball around more. Dublin will eat us without salt if we drive long balls into the forwards. There is plenty of space in Croker to do this, but will we do it? With that aim, I'd be interested in seeing how Fitzgibbon goes as either a starting, or third-man midfielder.

Are we doing anything to improve goal-scoring? Other than Breen, and Downes who is absent, a lot of our forwards are more inclined to turn to space rather than put their head down and go for goal. Tobin seems to be on fire at the moment and has always been a bit of a poacher - a big plus if he can carry this form into the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Rightwing wrote: »

Flawed argument unfortunately as you're ignoring the odds in the other two games, and the bookies had short odds on ourselves and Cork at this stage last year and the quarters ended up a 1A clean sweep.

Still though, all was not rosy in the camp this time last year and that went a long way towards explaining why we were so awful.

I think we can at the very least compete with Dublin but a lot will depend on how many players become available. Our preparations have been hurt with injuries and absences while Dublin have not had the same issues.

One plainly obvious problem with 1B; we're playing at a 1B pace. Pretty much every team has taken the game to us, we've only been playing for 35/40 minutes a game. Waterford imposed themselves on all opposition, they struggled once we pulled the finger out but we were always playing catch up in the drawn game. Our relative performances against the other four 1B paints a bleak picture, and leaves us with absolutely no complaints, Waterford thoroughly deserve top spot.

Tipp and Cork will win with a bit to spare, based on form Dublin have to be favourites but I think we can cause them a bit of bother and as for Waterford v Galway; Galway have an awful record against Waterford so you never know.

After the campaign thus far I'm more concerned about the level of performance than the result. We've no chance if we don't raise the bar considerably for this game, what we've put in thus far has'n been good enough. 'Good in patches' is not something we should accept.

Flawed argument unfortunately as you're ignoring the odds in the other two games, and the bookies had short odds on ourselves and Cork at this stage last year and the quarters ended up a 1A clean sweep.

Still though, all was not rosy in the camp this time last year and that went a long way towards explaining why we were so awful.

I think we can at the very least compete with Dublin but a lot will depend on how many players become available. Our preparations have been hurt with injuries and absences while Dublin have not had the same issues.

One plainly obvious problem with 1B; we're playing at a 1B pace. Pretty much every team has taken the game to us, we've only been playing for 35/40 minutes a game. Waterford imposed themselves on all opposition, they struggled once we pulled the finger out but we were always playing catch up in the drawn game. Our relative performances against the other four 1B paints a bleak picture, and leaves us with absolutely no complaints, Waterford thoroughly deserve top spot.

Tipp and Cork will win with a bit to spare, based on form Dublin have to be favourites but I think we can cause them a bit of bother and as for Waterford v Galway; Galway have an awful record against Waterford so you never know.

After the campaign thus far I'm more concerned about the level of performance than the result. We've no chance if we don't raise the bar considerably for this game, what we've put in thus far has'n been good enough. 'Good in patches' is not something we should accept.

Cork are 1/3, that's about a 4 point handicap. And they are at home. I would have thought they'd have been 1/10 or thereabouts.

Tipp are 1/25 away to Offaly, tells us all we need to know about them.

I agree about our performances, they were worse than the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Any reports on who is available for this match? Whether or not we will be able to realistically challenge Dublin will depend on what players will return from injury/club duty.

Random thoughts:
    With more questions than answers regarding the half-back line at this point, as much promise as GOM showed at half-forward against Waterford is he needed back at 7? Has been largely very good there over the past number of years and will deliver better ball forward than Morrissey is at the moment.

If Wayne Mac is available do we bite the bullet and put him back to 6 or do we persist with the Hannon experiment? At this point I would still struggle to guess who will start in the half-back line in May. Who is going to provide pace to this line.

To beat Dublin with the players that are available we need to spray the ball around more. Dublin will eat us without salt if we drive long balls into the forwards. There is plenty of space in Croker to do this, but will we do it? With that aim, I'd be interested in seeing how Fitzgibbon goes as either a starting, or third-man midfielder.

Are we doing anything to improve goal-scoring? Other than Breen, and Downes who is absent, a lot of our forwards are more inclined to turn to space rather than put their head down and go for goal. Tobin seems to be on fire at the moment and has always been a bit of a poacher - a big plus if he can carry this form into the championship.

Have to persist with the Hannon experiment. It's a massive change and would take a few games to get used to anyway, may as well find out for sure. I'd play wayne on one wing maybe, see if he can still perform there to the level he did a few years ago. Condon has decent pace, and if wayne is on one wing condon might be needed to switch onto a pacey wing forward (lehane for example). Condon needs a game there v a top team too if fit. I'd also like to see Dan Morrissey v a good team like Dublin.

A third midfielder or roving forward is something that would get the most out of Lynch I think, Fitzgibbon is a similar type player. Don't think we can just switch to that without having the system practiced though. Also, Tobin's form is likely to keep those two on the bench.

I'd like to see Gavin at half forward. Again, test his performance v a good team.

A third midfielder or roving forward is something that would get the most out of Lynch I think, Fitzgibbon is a similar type player. Don't think we can just switch to that without having the system practiced though. Also, Tobin's form is likely to keep those two on the bench.

Similar perhaps but from what I have seen in the League Fitzgibbon is more effective with the ball. Lynch obviously has buckets of skill, just needs to use the ball quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Breen does tend to drive towards goal, but he's a poor finisher, his striking for goal always seems to be at a stage where he's about to fall over, having powered through a few players. He's someone who would probably be better off looking for a pass off the shoulder to one of the corner-forwards.

Mulcahy/Tobin/Dowling should be encouraged to go for goal more, I think. In fairness, Dowling scored 4 goals last year in the Championship and was unlucky to be denied against Cork... against KK, Tobin & Breen had our best goal chances.

I'd agree with glas and persist with Hannon at 6 for now. Since we started the experiment, we may as well see how he goes against a 1A team. If he doesn't do well, we can move him back to 11 and slot Wayne back in, we know what he offers us there.

Similar perhaps but from what I have seen in the League Fitzgibbon is more effective with the ball. Lynch obviously has buckets of skill, just needs to use the ball quicker.

Lynch has a great range of vision, I think it's mainly down to him adapting. He's getting caught on the ball a lot more, he has to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

What's the squad status for Saturday?
    Is Downes back? Dowling suspended?
    Condon/Wayne back from respective injuries.

The thing we will have to do on Saturday is up the work rate. Dublin are lovely hurlers in space, we need to work like dogs and hassle them, close the space. That's where the 1A/1B gap will be exposed I think.
    That's why I think we need an extra runner in the half forward line. We're plenty good enough to beat them & their record ain't great at Croke Park.

My team would be if all available:
    Quaid
    Hickey McCarthy Walsh
    Condon Hannon Wayne
    Browne Ryan
    Breen Gavin Paudie O'B
    Graeme Dowling Seanie

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

The game is live on TG4 Saturday evening.

Pandiani wrote: »
    The game is live on TG4 Saturday evening.

5 o clock throw-in?

5 o clock throw-in?

Yes

Looks like all should be available bar Downes, Dowling's suspension was just the one game.

Looks like all should be available bar Downes, Dowling's suspension was just the one game.

In that case the team will probably be along the lines of:

Quaid, Walsh, McCarthy, Hickey, McNamara, Hannon, Condon, Ryan, Browne, Breen, O'Mahoney, O'Grady, Mulcahy, Dowling, Tobin

Quaid, Walsh, McCarthy, Hickey, McNamara, Hannon, Condon, Ryan, Browne, Breen, O'Mahoney, O'Grady, Mulcahy, Dowling, Tobin

Probably. In same way I'd give Hannon another go at 6 against a good team in a good match, I'd like to see Lynch start too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Probably. In same way I'd give Hannon another go at 6 against a good team in a good match, I'd like to see Lynch start too.

You've a crush on Lynch- Hasn't showed anything that warrants a place on the team. Hannon will be destroyed at 6 in Croker.

Vanolder wrote: »
    You've a crush on Lynch- Hasn't showed anything that warrants a place on the team. Hannon will be destroyed at 6 in Croker.

What would you know about it Darragh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

What would you know about it Darragh?

Darragh??? You alright, kid? This is Rob here- Joe Player is here next to me, sends his regards.

• Advertisement

Vanolder wrote: »

He hasn't been great so far, but it's worth persisting with someone with that kind of talent. At minor level, he stood out because of his work rate as well as his first touch and he has scored 6 points from play. I think he[s someone that will relish Croke Park in a more intense game.

As for Hannon, maybe, but bar Quaid, there's no one in the panel to go there. He's not going to move Hickey and we know what Wayne & Dodge both offer.

Looks a strong team... maybe there is room for a bit more experimentation.

I suppose if we are trying Hannon that we should do it in a full-strength backline and with a strong midfield, just to see how he gets on.

Maybe Lynch, Fitzgibbon or Reidy instead of Dodge; think Dodge is slightly on the periphery at wing-forward. Also, if Hannon is moved back to the forwards, then he has to play at centre-forward, I think. So I'd nearly prefer Gavin to play on the wing to see how he goes there.

Looks a strong team... maybe there is room for a bit more experimentation.

I suppose if we are trying Hannon that we should do it in a full-strength backline and with a strong midfield, just to see how he gets on.

Maybe Lynch, Fitzgibbon or Reidy instead of Dodge; think Dodge is slightly on the periphery at wing-forward. Also, if Hannon is moved back to the forwards, then he has to play at centre-forward, I think. So I'd nearly prefer Gavin to play on the wing to see how he goes there.

I'd pretty much agree with all of that. Team above is more a team I think will be named for Saturday - I imagine this will be named tonight?

I was of the opinion that Dodge was finished as the league had progressed but he was one of the better players on the pitch against Offaly, in the first half at least. I think he may get edged out come championship, but if we are not afraid of using the subs bench then he still has enough in the tank to warrant a place for a half,either in a sweeper role or as a puck-out target, while keeping fire-power in the bench.

Centre-forward is an interesting one. Assuming for the moment that Hannon does get moved back to the forwards, he will more than likely go to 11. This is where most want to see him, as it gets him involved more. However, with the balance of players we have up front, I really would prefer to see someone whose natural instinct is to run at the defence at centre-forward, be it Downes, Breen, possibly even James Ryan although I would be very, very reluctant to move him from midfield. We are lacking in these types of players and I think we need to use the ones we have wisely. You can isolate them by playing them on the wing where they can get bottled up too easily, in the middle it causes far more havoc for defences and makes it easier for Dowling/Mulcahy/Tobin to work off of. Hannon, while he has plenty of physicality, doesn't have the raw power like those named above and I've rarely seen him turn and drive at the defence. GOM wouldn't have the power either but does seem to have more of an instinct for when the goal chance is on, has a rocket of a shot from distance as well to boot. He's equally adept at playing wing though and there could well end up being a battle between himself and POB for the same spot, especially if we don't need either to drop back to the half-back line.

I hope Fitzgibbon sees some game-time on Saturday as well...wasn't expecting much from him prior to the league but when he has gotten a proper run he has impressed me.

Nice to head into a game where it's genuinely difficult to pick the starting XV.

The centre back issue leaves me feeling somewhat torn right now; on the one hand I maintained all along that this would be the game that will give us a clearer answer on Hannon, and I still feel that is the case; but on the other hand we need a performance in this game so sticking with tried and trusted wouldn't draw any criticisms from me so I'd also be happy to see DH back in the half forwards and leave the experimentation for challenge games in April and May.

The half back and half forward lines are the tricky ones to predict; particularly because we don't know where management will pick Hannon and O'Mahony. My prediction is we will start with Hannon at 6 and O'Mahony at 10 or 11. Wayne at 5, and if things aren't quite working out swap Hannon for O'Mahony and move Wayne into the centre. I'll predict;

Quaid; Walsh, McCarthy, Hickey; McNamara, Hannon, Condon; Ryan, Browne; O'Mahony, O'Grady, Breen; Mulcahy, Dowling, Tobin.

(Edit; Just looked at Twoman's post and seen this is pretty much an identical XV, maybe it won't be such a difficult selection afterall!)

(2nd edit; One the one hand, decent XV; on the other hand, a few positional shuffles aside, no new players in that 15, all having made championship debuts no later than 2012)

I'd expect us to beat Dublin every time we play them. This time should be no different so lets hope TJ is taking this one seriously.

Team named,
    Quaid
    Walsh McCarthy Hickey
    OBrien McNamara Morrissey
    Browne Ryan
    Breen Hannon OGrady
    Mulcahy Dowling Tobin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Limerick v Dublin
    NQuaid
    SWalsh RMcCarthy SHickey
    POBrien WMcNamara DMorrissey
    PBrowne JRyan
    DBreen DHannon DOGrady
    GMulcahy SDowling STobin

So the Hannon experiment wasn't an experiment, it was just the result of being down to the bare bones, I feel it would have been in our best interests to give it this game before making any final conclusions but I'm not disappointed as I just want a good performance.

Wayne back; his form was a little off but he was carrying an injury, I think he'll be closer to his best. O'Brien comes straight back in at number 5, while Dan Morrissey restored on the other wing. This game will be good for him, I was fearful he'd be pushed out once the panel neared full strength but he's done well so far this year, it will only do him good to play in a full strength team and he has earned it. Happy enough with that overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Groan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Any word on Minors Lads? Out in 2 weeks !

Heard both Limerick and Cork played Kilkenny and beat Kilkenny handy in last few weeks

This tells us nothing about Kilkenny as they were destroyd by Dublin 1st rd last year - regrouped ( with Kierans /CBS lads ) and came back to win All Ireland as well ye know

only challenges but it implies Cork & Limerick even enough as presumably playing close enough to first 15 with championship in next 2 weeks

all to play for, and a back door for whoever loses with neith side meeting Tipp until munster final - tipp are favorites to take munster this year

I've no idea what Waterford or Clare have

Heard also Cork 21s beat Limerick in recent challenge but both teams missing starters !

Any word on the terraces ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement