Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

That team looks good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Pandiani wrote: »
    Team named,
    Quaid
    Walsh McCarthy Hickey
    OBrien McNamara Morrissey
    Browne Ryan
    Breen Hannon OGrady
    Mulcahy Dowling Tobin

Well that's Wayne at centre-back for the year. Surprised that Hannon isn't tested against a good team... surely they should have just played Quaid there if it was just a stop-gap?

Meh...

Interesting that Paudie is back but not Gavin. Team looks strong but I'd much rather have Gavin at wing-back than Paudie, as you all know, I regard Paudie as a midfielder and that's it really. Good to see Dan get a shot in a first-choice team.

It's a strong team, I presume Condon is out through injury rather than dropped? Wonder will we see Mulcahy or Tobin drift out the field and leave 2 men inside or was that just a test too?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

N20 wrote: »
    Any word on Minors Lads? Out in 2 weeks !

Heard both Limerick and Cork played Kilkenny and beat Kilkenny handy in last few weeks

This tells us nothing about Kilkenny as they were destroyd by Dublin 1st rd last year - regrouped ( with Kierans /CBS lads ) and came back to win All Ireland as well ye know

only challenges but it implies Cork & Limerick even enough as presumably playing close enough to first 15 with championship in next 2 weeks

all to play for, and a back door for whoever loses with neith side meeting Tipp until munster final - tipp are favorites to take munster this year

I've no idea what Waterford or Clare have

Heard also Cork 21s beat Limerick in recent challenge but both teams missing starters !

Any word on the terraces ?
    Personally haven't heard much about the limerick minors, there were a few rumours about injuries and a player from last year not commiting, they beat Dublin a few weeks ago in a challenge, hard to read anything into challenges though with college games going on etc.
    Will be close id say, paddy o'loughlin should be ready for a big role, Kilmallock's run to the AI final should have brought him on leaps and bounds, will be interesting to see if daly has much of an influence on the team, going by colleges and underage tournaments cork might be just ahead but it will be close. From a limerick perspective you'd be hoping that the experience of last year will stand to them and hopefully get them over the line if the games are tight in the last 10 mins, they may well meet twice, first round in cork and semi in limerick if the form lines are correct...

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Any word on Minors Lads? Out in 2 weeks !

Heard both Limerick and Cork played Kilkenny and beat Kilkenny handy in last few weeks

This tells us nothing about Kilkenny as they were destroyd by Dublin 1st rd last year - regrouped ( with Kierans /CBS lads ) and came back to win All Ireland as well ye know

only challenges but it implies Cork & Limerick even enough as presumably playing close enough to first 15 with championship in next 2 weeks

all to play for, and a back door for whoever loses with neith side meeting Tipp until munster final - tipp are favorites to take munster this year

I've no idea what Waterford or Clare have

Heard also Cork 21s beat Limerick in recent challenge but both teams missing starters !

Any word on the terraces ?

Jerome O'Connell in the Leader actually has an article on the Limerick minors today

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-minor-hurlers-finalise-panel-for-title-defence-1-6655473

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

O'Mahoney, Condon & Downes all unavailable with injury so that's about the strongest team as we could name.

Good to see Morrissey starting in Croke Park, getting used to the pitch is invaluable to the players. Think he's close enough to the starting team, if he can work on delivering better ball forward he will be a big asset.

I thought O'Grady would start alright but I would have preferred for us to be more adventurous in this regard and keep DOG in reserve for when the old head is needed.

Strong full-forward line, especially with Tobin in the form he is in. A big if, but if we can get good ball into them, they will deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

O'Mahoney, Condon & Downes all unavailable with injury so that's about the strongest team as we could name.

Good to see Morrissey starting in Croke Park, getting used to the pitch is invaluable to the players. Think he's close enough to the starting team, if he can work on delivering better ball forward he will be a big asset.

I thought O'Grady would start alright but I would have preferred for us to be more adventurous in this regard and keep DOG in reserve for when the old head is needed.

Strong full-forward line, especially with Tobin in the form he is in. A big if, but if we can get good ball into them, they will deliver.
    Is condon injured? Thought I read in the leader than he would be among the substitutes, hard to believe he would be below dan Morrissey in the pecking order though, reading into that it would seem that if gavin was available we would be fielding the same half back line as last year...hoping to see lynch and tom Morrissey in the second half when the game has broken up a bit and see what they can do in the spaces and surface that croke park has, want to see tobin and Mulcahy utilised aswell with the right type of ball, whether we have the wherewithal to do that remains to be seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Is condon injured? Thought I read in the leader than he would be among the substitutes, hard to believe he would be below dan Morrissey in the pecking order though, reading into that it would seem that if gavin was available we would be fielding the same half back line as last year...hoping to see lynch and tom Morrissey in the second half when the game has broken up a bit and see what they can do in the spaces and surface that croke park has, want to see tobin and Mulcahy utilised aswell with the right type of ball, whether we have the wherewithal to do that remains to be seen...

Saw that report as well so maybe the knocks they are carrying are not too serious. Tbh if Condon was fully fit I would have him on the other wing and move Paudie to midfield or half-forward. Think Condon, McNamara, Morrissey is about the strongest hb-line we've had so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Mehapoy wrote: »

Agreed, think we all want to see the above happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I don't think we'll win this. Form wise dublin are miles ahead and under a new manager after a couple of disappointing years they have the greater motivation. We're coming off trashing semi finals the last two years and the focus this year has to be on going one better in summer rather than the league, especially with promotion gone from us anyway.

I'd like to see signs that we have a better game plan than bating high balls to full forward, that would be encouraging. After that, good performances from players that didn't start last year looking to nail down places would also be encouraging. Hope we also see full use of the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

14 is a lot to be calling on from last year

no sign of conor fitzgerald and peader collins I'm assuming lost to rugby - I hate that - rugby tends to ruin hurlers - if you can hurl why would you bother with rugby !

there's a lad with Roscrea as well, part of their leinster senior cup winning team, and part of tipp panel, it will be interesting to see if he commits to hurling for summer.

no sign of Aaron Gillane of patrickswell, he's still minor I think?

Bit of joke cork and Limerick could play each other twice - all of the aces with Limerick there

I think It's a close call myself

• Advertisement

14 is a lot to be calling on from last year

no sign of conor fitzgerald and peader collins I'm assuming lost to rugby - I hate that - rugby tends to ruin hurlers - if you can hurl why would you bother with rugby !

there's a lad with Roscrea as well, part of their leinster senior cup winning team, and part of tipp panel, it will be interesting to see if he commits to hurling for summer.

no sign of Aaron Gillane of patrickswell, he's still minor I think?

Bit of joke cork and Limerick could play each other twice - all of the aces with Limerick there

I think It's a close call myself

You can make money with rugby, look at Darren Sweetnam for example. It's not a surprise players try to make it rugby... I think Conor Fitzgerald is a better rugby player than hurler, hardly a surprise for someone like him, as talented as he was.

Strong panel tbf but I think Gillane is overage for minor this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Fireball07 wrote: »
    You can make money with rugby, look at Darren Sweetnam for example. It's not a surprise players try to make it rugby... I think Conor Fitzgerald is a better rugby player than hurler, hardly a surprise for someone like him, as talented as he was.

Strong panel tbf but I think Gillane is overage for minor this year.

I'd say Sweetnam scratching his head looking at Cork in AIs playing to capacity crowds in Croke Park 2013

He hasn't exactly made the big time playing club games to a few hundred in Cork Con (or maybe Dolphin - not sure )

renewed his contract with Munsterr again lately but must be very frustrating as an athlete not to be moving up and getting big games - Munster star on the wane of late as well

With minors at least there is a chance they could revert to hurling - ASR failed at senior cup again this year and Iwas wondering of those lads would come back to the hurling - although usually heavier and slower - but not too late

haven't seen Fitzgerlad playing but read his heroics all right place kicking for ASR - I think kids get seriously sucked into the rugby phenomenon at schools and there arent many opportunities for them afterwards

I think I'd pick the hurling everytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I'd say Sweetnam scratching his head looking at Cork in AIs playing to capacity crowds in Croke Park 2013

He hasn't exactly made the big time playing club games to a few hundred in Cork Con (or maybe Dolphin - not sure )

renewed his contract with Munsterr again lately but must be very frustrating as an athlete not to be moving up and getting big games - Munster star on the wane of late as well

With minors at least there is a chance they could revert to hurling - ASR failed at senior cup again this year and Iwas wondering of those lads would come back to the hurling - although usually heavier and slower - but not too late

haven't seen Fitzgerlad playing but read his heroics all right place kicking for ASR - I think kids get seriously sucked into the rugby phenomenon at schools and there arent many opportunities for them afterwards

I think I'd pick the hurling everytime

Collins has his heart set on making it at Rugby and Fitzgerald won't hurl for Limerick again after last year.

Limerick football team sees the return of Pa Ranahan and Ian Ryan which is great news, it's a must-win game. Scanlon back in goal too.

1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffin’s)
    2. Stephen Cahill (Mountcollins)
    3. Johnny McCarthy (St.Kieran’s)
    4. Robert Browne (Fr. Casey’s)
    5. Iain Corbett (Newcastlewest)
    6. Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey’s)
    7. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen)
    8. Tom Lee (Ballylanders)
    9. Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick’s)
    10. John Riordan (Fr Casey’s)
    11. Darragh Tracey (St. Kieran’s)
    12. Cillian Fahy (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    13. Peter Nash (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)
    14. Seanie Buckley (Dromcollogher/Broadford) (Captain)
    15. Ian Ryan (St. Senan’s)

Ryan & Nash inside presumably, lots of hard workers out the field, do we have enough scoring potential? You look at the players from 13-15 as the ones likely to get the scores.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Seamus hickey didn't look happy there what happened there just tuned in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

sasta le wrote: »
    Seamus hickey didn't look happy there what happened there just tuned in

Went off injured I think and probably just pissed off that he got injured again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Mulcahy and lynch aside that was awful, not acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Can anyone watching on tv verify what happened to Cian Lynch? I sincerely hope it wasn't what it looked like to me.....

We have a bit of a breeze in the second half but so far its pretty much a case of a 1A team versus a 1B team....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Young lynch skill to burn but the set up in physical terms take a while to get use it

• Registered Users Posts: 32 goldfinger4296

Forwards are terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Can anyone watching on tv verify what happened to Cian Lynch? I sincerely hope it wasn't what it looked like to me.....

We have a bit of a breeze in the second half but so far its pretty much a case of a 1A team versus a 1B team....

Didn't look intentional but ya hopefully they show a replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hanonn hasn't touched a ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Watched it back and the Dublin player's leg tangled with Cian Lynch's legs before he landed with it on Lynch's back - I really doubt it was intentional the way his foot landed on Lynch's back it looked more like a player putting a foot down to stop himself stumbling - seriously sore though.

Limerick paying the price for playing 1B hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

This doesn't bode well for the year considering it's almost a full strength team.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Hanonn hasn't touched a ball

He did but dropped the ball in front of goal!

And people reckon 1B does us no harm? Yeah, sure it doesn't.....

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

I thought the offaly game was just a blip and that ye would regroup but this evenings performance has been very poor. Alot of work needed before the Clare game.

Disaster of a league campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

And people reckon 1B does us no harm? Yeah, sure it doesn't.....

Didn't do Dublin no harm, and 1b a lot more competitive now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Surely though Limerick hurling people want their county competing in the top tier playing the the bigger teams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement