Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Surely though Limerick hurling people want their county competing in the top tier playing the the bigger teams.

Playing like they did tonight we would be in big trouble in 1a.
    we are a champioship team but to win an all ireland we need to show alot more in the league.

Surely though Limerick hurling people want their county competing in the top tier playing the the bigger teams.

we are a champioship team but to win an all ireland we need to show alot more in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

And people reckon 1B does us no harm? Yeah, sure it doesn't.....

didn't cork win the munster out of it last year, i feel limerick were way overrated this year have some fine young hurlers on the way but it might take time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

You'd think so but a disturbingly large proportion of my fellow county men are content to accept mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

pajoguy wrote: »

Will Limerick manage to beat Clare?

• Advertisement

didn't cork win the munster out of it last year, i feel limerick were way overrated this year have some fine young hurlers on the way but it might take time.

What happened once they played their first knock out match? Provincial championships just a glorified warm up for qualifiers and all Ireland series.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭peege

No sign of any half forwards today. Dublin walked through at times. Disappointing

"We are a championship team" is bollocks. One All Ireland since 1940 and people say that? Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

cnoc wrote: »
    Will Limerick manage to beat Clare?

No. There's just something not quite right about the team this year. Training has been way off, touch is dreadful and even physicality is poor. Richie has a big gut on him. I'm hoping the real work starts now but it's 8 weeks to championship.

"We are a championship team" is bollocks. One All Ireland since 1940 and people say that? Nonsense.

have to agree with you, Limerick on there day are as good as any team, but i couldn't see them beat Clare, Tipp, Kilkenny to win an all ireland in the one year and maybe to play either clare or tipp twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Touch, fitness, gameplan, personnel all sadly lacking. The performance of 3-4 players was nothing short of abject. Some players made the same mistakes they've made all their lives and will continue to do so. Even if we do pull off a win over clare we havent prepared to win the AI. Going nowhere from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

Limerick on there day are as good as any team.

On tonight's performance, even taking into account it's March and only the hurling league, it's hard to agree with that statement. Limerick are going backwards

i wouldn't put me house on clare beaten them in the championship all the same.

how is Seamus Hickey after he went off hurt, didn't look to happy hope his alright

We've gone backwards, i don't doubt that they'll be up to speed come championship, but we're on the back foot, we have an awful lot of ground to make up on the 1A teams (and Waterford to be fair to them), but its not as if those teams won't make gains between now and the championship. You'd need to be more than a little mad to think of us as All Ireland contenders, at this stage the best I can see is AI semis, and right now that's being optimistic. For all the reasons paddyno11 mentioned we have an awful lot of ground to make up.

8 week break is very welcome now, but a lot of work needs to be done, even with all their turmoil Clare will absolutely eat us alive as it stands. TJ did okay last year, but serious question marks right now.

As in we play better in the championship the last few years compared to the league. I didnt say we were world beater. I meant it that we dont seem to be up for the fight in the league.
    I am well aware how many all irelands we have won and lost since 1940 so dont need a history lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭letowski

We've gone backwards, i don't doubt that they'll be up to speed come championship, but we're on the back foot, we have an awful lot of ground to make up on the 1A teams (and Waterford to be fair to them), but its not as if those teams won't make gains between now and the championship. You'd need to be more than a little mad to think of us as All Ireland contenders, at this stage the best I can see is AI semis, and right now that's being optimistic. For all the reasons paddyno11 mentioned we have an awful lot of ground to make up.

8 week break is very welcome now, but a lot of work needs to be done, even with all their turmoil Clare will absolutely eat us alive as it stands. TJ did okay last year, but serious question marks right now.

Ah I doubt we would, were playing poor stuff too. Ye were not great today granted, but these performances from 1B are not unusual. That Dublin team has been playing some good hurling the last few weeks, it's always tough for any 1B team to hit a 1A level in a week.

I know ye don't want to hear it now but ye should be at a good level like the last few years, going into the first round Munster game. Ye have consistently put in good performances in Munster the last few years, which is more than what can be said for Clare (what 3 lousy wins in like 12 years or something!). I think what is worrying is yere game plan. TJ has to bring more to the table than just going direct, it's not enough at the top level. I think Limerick should look to run the ball a little more in the midfield and half forward line as there are some good players that can do it, Jim-Bob, Browne, Lynch, Breen, Downes, etc. I think ye need some sort of variation anyway.

On tonight's performance, even taking into account it's March and only the hurling league, it's hard to agree with that statement. Limerick are going backwards

That statement had more contradictions than you would get from a politician during an election campaign.

Very disappointing performance tonight yes.
    Judgement day is in May. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm not as worried as I probably should be after that, just because of the last few years. We'll forget about this if we beat Clare (and I think we will). But to beat the best, there are definitely a few things to learn.

Ball-winning first and foremost, neither the half-back nor half-forward line won enough ball while Dublin were plucking them out of the sky. Hannon was nowhere to be seen for most of the game, Breen got cleaned out completely in the air... Lynch did well tbf to him but his use of the ball still needs a lot of work. Half-backs, I don't think Paudie, Dan or Wayne caught one contested ball between them. We've said it a lot, it's just not good enough.

But Mark Schutte cleaned Richie out of it completely, and that was a big part of their victory. I wouldn't be worried about that. If it happened again, maybe it'd cause some concern but Richie's performances over the past two seasons have earned him the right for some leeway. The loss of Hickey was huge too.

Dublin were very strong, very physical, seemed to bully our players at times. Found it too easy to push a man away to open up space. Again, I think we'll improve there for Championship.

Kelly was superb, but I did think Dowling broke ball well. Mulcahy was electric, people need to read his runs better. Browne got through a mountain of work, he was a leader today. Half-backs and half-forwards were poor. Nicky was good as usual. I actually thought Walsh & O'Brien were good, although too many of our players were caught in possession too regularly. Breen should have scored a goal in the 1st half but dropped the ball and things like that are frustrating. Definitely need Downes in the half-forward line somewhere, I think.

Hope Hickey and Dodge are okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭redlead

i wouldn't put me house on clare beaten them in the championship all the same.

Limerick have literally been dire in every game they've played in the league this year, even against the mickey mouse teams. Do you think they are just going to rock up to the championship and start beating top teams. At what point to people start getting real?

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'm not as worried as I probably should be after that, just because of the last few years. We'll forget about this if we beat Clare (and I think we will). But to beat the best, there are definitely a few things to learn.

Ball-winning first and foremost, neither the half-back nor half-forward line won enough ball while Dublin were plucking them out of the sky. Hannon was nowhere to be seen for most of the game, Breen got cleaned out completely in the air... Lynch did well tbf to him but his use of the ball still needs a lot of work. Half-backs, I don't think Paudie, Dan or Wayne caught one contested ball between them. We've said it a lot, it's just not good enough.

But Mark Schutte cleaned Richie out of it completely, and that was a big part of their victory. I wouldn't be worried about that. If it happened again, maybe it'd cause some concern but Richie's performances over the past two seasons have earned him the right for some leeway. The loss of Hickey was huge too.

Dublin were very strong, very physical, seemed to bully our players at times. Found it too easy to push a man away to open up space. Again, I think we'll improve there for Championship.

Kelly was superb, but I did think Dowling broke ball well. Mulcahy was electric, people need to read his runs better. Browne got through a mountain of work, he was a leader today. Half-backs and half-forwards were poor. Nicky was good as usual. I actually thought Walsh & O'Brien were good, although too many of our players were caught in possession too regularly. Breen should have scored a goal in the 1st half but dropped the ball and things like that are frustrating. Definitely need Downes in the half-forward line somewhere, I think.

Nicky made mistakes today, puck outs and time he didnt rise ball lucky to get away with it. Thought walsh was poor, clearances straight to dub players, 60m solo run gets dispossed and dublin score. Browne worked hard but no end product.

Mulcahy superb, a few others tried and were ok, most were terrible, sad stuff. We would have been prison shamed only for mulcahy.

A number of weeks ago i read somewhere, maybe here, that a squad member said they were only at 40%.
    is this now an annual tactic to sacrifice league form to peak for the summer.
    I know the manager and players have said they are disappointed ya da ya da ya da about not being promoted, but maybe we dont have a big enough squad to compete in 1A AND perform to a satisfactory level in the summer.
    In 2006 we got to the league final but nobody was thinking about that when clare were beaing us out the gate in Ennis in the championship and another manager was about to step through the exit door.
    I know players dont like it said but they need to have fire in their bellies and the league just doesnt do that for them.
    Question is what is best for a teams confidence going into the summer. Failing to get promoted from 1B or getting relegated from 1A? What is the lesser of two evils?

Confidence? If they get relegated they get two months to pick themselves up before going into the championship and they have the benefit and experience of playing games in a pressure and intensity charged environment. How thin skinned do you think they are?

Confidence? If they get relegated they get two months to pick themselves up before going into the championship and they have the benefit and experience of playing games in a pressure and intensity charged environment. How thin skinned do you think they are?

Well if you think getting beaten 5 times before the championship is beneficial. And make no mistake all the teams in 1A would have beaten us. We would have gotten a few bad beatings amongst those 5.
    Confidence isnt about how thick your skin is. Its about getting into a winning habit. We havent done it in 1b not to mind 1a.
    We won the league before but completely different eras to what is expected today.
    Its all about championship.

I heard some people raving about Seanie Tobin for the last few weeks since he has been back. But first big guns we play he is nowhere to be seen. Declan Hannon hardly hit a ball, david breen just runs into trouble without lifting his head to look for a pass, cian lynch had more of an influence in the game than those three put together without being spectacular. I dont like saying these things in March but if some people think the league is that important then so be it. What has 1A done for galway. We have gone further than them the last two years.

That statement had more contradictions than you would get from a politician during an election campaign.

Very disappointing performance tonight yes.
    Judgement day is in May. End of.

Usual blind faith from some Limerick supporters. Always looking for an excuse and creating false hope rather than facing reality that his team is a long way off being able to beat any of the top teams.End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Fireball07 wrote: »

If I was a Limerick supporter, I would be hugely worried about this. I would not be worried about McCarthy having a bad match. Every player has a bad match at some stage (I know we are not allowed to say it this week, but even Henry Shefflin had some bad matches in his career! :-) ) But I would be very worried at the management not making any changes to try to sort out the Schutte situation. Instead, they let Schutte do what he wanted. He rotated a little but spent most of the match on McCarthy where he had an absolute field day. Why not try put somebody else on him with for a while? Just see if it has an impact. It reminded me on when Donaghy caused chaos against Mayo last year in the AI semi and they left Ger Cafferkey on him. Sure, McCarthy is a top player and you might think he is the best option on any other day to mark Schutte. But today, he wasnt. Just make a simple switch and see if it works out. Schutte was so much on top of McCarthy today that a switch would not have made things any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Watched it back and the Dublin player's leg tangled with Cian Lynch's legs before he landed with it on Lynch's back - I really doubt it was intentional the way his foot landed on Lynch's back it looked more like a player putting a foot down to stop himself stumbling - seriously sore though.

Looked intentional to me - nasty piece of play. The Dublin player would have been fully aware of where his foot was going to land but you can see from his leg movement, he made absolutely no effort to try and avoid Lynch on the ground.

Usual blind faith from some Limerick supporters. Always looking for an excuse and creating false hope rather than facing reality that his team is a long way off being able to beat any of the top teams.End of.

Seroiusly not sure where you got blind faith from. I never said we would beat clare in may! TJ and the team will be judged on that day not in March!

We havent given ourselves a chance of beating 3 1A teams consecutively come championship, while we might beat clare thats not worth a damn. Clearly we're lacking fitness the condition of some players was obvious compared to the kilmallock players but we will improve but still I dont see the AI coming our way. Not with the same half back line.

• Advertisement

Seroiusly not sure where you got blind faith from. I never said we would beat clare in may! TJ and the team will be judged on that day not in March!

If you look at my original comment, that's where the blind faith is. Not so long ago Limerick may have been "as good as any team on their day" but not now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement