Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Big question this year for me is who going in goals? Aaron or Nicky?

It's good to have the choice...I think they're both good enough but I'd have Murphy in goals, because of Quaid's ability to play outfield and he's been one of the form players in the county.

Hurlers drew with Clare in the Waterford Crystal Cup after extra time.

1-15 to 0-18 the score... it was a fairly experimental side put out, but apparently Hannon was the only forward to score, getting 1-11. I know we have Downes, Dowling, Tobin and Mulcahy to come in but I hope we don't become reliant on Hannon for scores. We'll never challenge if we don't have at least 4 forwards who can get a few scores in every game.

Footballers beat Leitrim in the league, 1-9 to 0-9, again it was a new-looking side but more experienced players in than were there in the league. Collins and Ryan were the main scoring threats as usual, with John Riordan getting the goal. A good start to the league, we really do need to get promoted. Lucey and Buckley were the midfielders with Galvin and Donovan out, and Tom Lee in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

good result for footballers considering that we had many new players.
    heard on radio that Lee and Browne return from Oz around March. Kelly is well on the mend from knee surgery,Donovan will play in the all important away fixtures,while the one and only John Galvin may be available for the last 2 league games. hoping for promotion and a Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hurlers drew with Clare in the Waterford Crystal Cup after extra time.

1-15 to 0-18 the score... it was a fairly experimental side put out, but apparently Hannon was the only forward to score, getting 1-11. I know we have Downes, Dowling, Tobin and Mulcahy to come in but I hope we don't become reliant on Hannon for scores. We'll never challenge if we don't have at least 4 forwards who can get a few scores in every game.

replay is on tonight isn't it ?
    What kind of a team will Limerick have for it ?

tatoo wrote: »
    replay is on tonight isn't it ?
    What kind of a team will Limerick have for it ?

Yeah it's on tonight

Well the last time it wasn't a very strong side. No Na Piarsaigh or college players in the team... I think only 6 of the team who played against Dublin were playing. Hickey's in America too.

But apparently Gavin O'Mahoney and Graeme Mulcahy will be back for the replay and that'll be a huge boost for the team but it won't be announced until just before throw-in.

• Advertisement

Beaten by Clare and beaten by Waterford in a challenge game, it looks like a much stronger team picked for the league game at the weekend.

1. Nicky Quaid
    2. Paul Browne
    3. Richie McCarthy
    4. Tom Condon
    5. Conor Allis
    6. Wayne Mac
    7. Gavin O'Mahoney
    8. Donal O'Grady
    9. James Ryan
    10. Declan Hannon
    11. David Breen
    12. Shane Dowling
    13. Seanie O'Brien
    14. Niall Moran
    15. Michael Ryan

16. Aaron Murphy
    17. David Moloney
    18. Graeme Mulcahy
    19. James O'Brien
    20. Kevin Downes
    21. Mark Carmody
    22. Niall Maher
    23. Paudie O'Brien
    24. Shane O'Neill
    25. Stephen Walsh
    26. Tommy O'Brien

Looks like a very strong side to me. We have some very talented young players and it looks like they are being brought through. Hickey is out of the country and Seanie Tobin, O'Riordan and Geary are all injured.

I wouldn't say it's our absolute strongest side but we'll see how it goes. McCarthy deserves a chance at full-back, I don't think he's good enough as a forward but he is probably the best natural full-back in the country. Browne has been a regular in midfield but will do a good job in defence. I'd nearly prefer to see him in midfield come Championship with David Moloney in defence. We also have Downes and Mulcahy on the bench and I would expect them to be starters by the time championship comes around. We'll see how O'Brien and Ryan do in the corners, Limerick have often lacked free-scoring forwards.

The half-forward line looks very strong with Hannon and Dowling two of the best young players in the country. Breen will hopefully be able to win primary possession too.

Mulcahy is starting...I think ahead of Ryan.

Early goal for Limerick through Niall Moran. 1-1 to 0-1.

It's actually Hannon who isn't playing, ruled out just before the game. And Paudie O'Brien is an early sub for James Ryan who picked up an injury. Got a point despite that.

1-2 to 0-3 now.

Limerick seemed to be going well, went 5 points up but Colin Ryan got a goal and it's all level now, 1-6 apiece. Decent game.

Limerick were 1-6 to 0-4 up, and looking the better team but then Clare got the goal and absolutely dominated for rest of the half. Were winning everything, it seemed. All the breaking ball, all the clean catches and got scores too. They went 1-12 to 1-6, which was 1-8 without reply. Dowling tagged on 2 points at the end to pull the scores back.

Disappointing to let any team score 1-8 without reply against you, something needs to be done. Dowling is the one bright spark, getting 5 of the 1-8, with 3 from play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Destroyed in the second half by the sounds of it.

Absolutely blown away in the second half. Clare just kept scoring, won pretty much every ball. Limerick took 17 minutes to get their first score, I think Clare were about 9 up at that stage and then they got a goal, I think Conor McGrath was the one who got it.

2-24 to 1-13 in the end, pretty much annihilated. Really really disappointing, that's our promotion hopes gone really.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Shouldn't have bothered going at all,
    Complete blowout.
    Clare got on top after about twenty minutes and completely let rip :pac:

Limerick beat Clare well in the corresponding game in Ennis last year. read nothing into results at this time of year. to be fair, Clare were outstanding tonight,seem extremely fit with a lot of hurling done.
    BTW the entry fee of €13 for a Div. 2 game is an absolute disgrace.:mad:

washman3 wrote: »
    Limerick beat Clare well in the corresponding game in Ennis last year. read nothing into results at this time of year. to be fair, Clare were outstanding tonight,seem extremely fit with a lot of hurling done.

Yeah but that was a game in horrible conditions and we didn't beat them by as much. I'm not going to read too much into it for our championship prospects but it's still really disappointing and has dealt our promotion hopes a massive blow. And after all the people saying we were robbed by not being allowed in division 1 (A), that can't have done a lot to convince the GAA that they were wrong.

To be completely cleaned out in midfield is never a good thing. And €13 is pretty outrageous...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 davelk

Well, i posted a few things on the Hogan stand and lets put it this way censorship is in full swing.
    I have never seen such a spineless gutless collection of players in a limerick Jersey in years. I went to every league match up and down the country last year but i cant say ill be doing likewise this year.
    Some players looked unfit and even "fat" so are they training at all?. They need to scrap the entire panel, find a huge hill and hold trials there.
    The 2010 Justin McCarty panel would have done better and that is scary, at least they scrapped.
    It was so bad that its not bad to the drawing board as you need to be able to read and write for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Sorry, are you saying €13 is too high for entry to a DIV 2 league game? Get real mate...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 davelk

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Sorry, are you saying €13 is too high for entry to a DIV 2 league game? Get real mate...

You clearly did not go to the game last night, it was totally Cat, i have watched u-10 games with better Hurling on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

That Shane Dowling was a very bright spot on a bad team last night. Played like a veteran. I'll be keeping an eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Limerick in a Battle now to make the final cannot afford another defeat going to be tough considering we still have Antrim, Wexford and Offaly still to play. Still get the feeling there will be lots of twist and turns in this division

• Advertisement

Yes, thats exactly what i'm saying and i stand over it 100%.
    regardless of whether last night's game was good or bad, €10 entry would have been more than enough.
    As a diehard supporter of all sports, in particular Limerick Gaa and Limerick soccer, i will always attend regardless of admission charges or the quality of game on offer. My point is €13 for a Div.2 (or 1B) is really pushing it, mainly because it gives the barstool Gaa critics the perfect ammunition they crave. secondly,and more importantly (for me)in the present economic climate the association must do all it can to get as many as possible through the turnstiles.
    an example i will use, i attended the Effin/Ballyduff munster intermediate final in NCW a while back. this was the finest game of club hurling i've seen in many a day and a truely fabulous occasion.
    yet when i returned to my local that night, the main topic of conversation was about the few souls that refused to pay the (scandalous) €15 admission and retired to the nearby pub instead.
    This is the kind of negative publicity that sinks the Gaa. i have no doubt whatsoever if those souls had been asked for €10 that day they would have paid without complaint. its just common sense really.
    Hope you see my point on this,as i said already as a diehard i will attend regardless. i have already attended both Waterford Crystal games,Limerick footballers away to Leitrim,home to London,will be in Aviva on Wed. night,
    will be in Jackman Pk on Fri. night for Limerick's opening league game V Drogheda and in Ennis next Sun. for Limerick/Clare in football league.
    But we need to encourage the "borderline" fans to come out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Prices are fixed centrally I think. 13e probably reasonable for a stand seat, considering concessions are 5e and u.16s are free. Try going up to thomond park and it won't even get you in the gate. I think there should be a cheaper option for those who want it though - maybe 8e for the terrace

grimbergen wrote: »
    Prices are fixed centrally I think. 13e probably reasonable for a stand seat, considering concessions are 5e and u.16s are free. Try going up to thomond park and it won't even get you in the gate. I think there should be a cheaper option for those who want it though - maybe 8e for the terrace

Ya. correct. prices are fixed centrally. only right that u-16s are free. great to see the pitch completely full at half time last night of youngsters pucking around.
    Magners/Pro 12 games at Thomond are reasonably priced,i think.
    the Heineken Cup games are a rip off all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Yes, thats exactly what i'm saying and i stand over it 100%.
    regardless of whether last night's game was good or bad, €10 entry would have been more than enough.
    As a diehard supporter of all sports, in particular Limerick Gaa and Limerick soccer, i will always attend regardless of admission charges or the quality of game on offer. My point is €13 for a Div.2 (or 1B) is really pushing it, mainly because it gives the barstool Gaa critics the perfect ammunition they crave. secondly,and more importantly (for me)in the present economic climate the association must do all it can to get as many as possible through the turnstiles.
    an example i will use, i attended the Effin/Ballyduff munster intermediate final in NCW a while back. this was the finest game of club hurling i've seen in many a day and a truely fabulous occasion.
    yet when i returned to my local that night, the main topic of conversation was about the few souls that refused to pay the (scandalous) €15 admission and retired to the nearby pub instead.
    This is the kind of negative publicity that sinks the Gaa. i have no doubt whatsoever if those souls had been asked for €10 that day they would have paid without complaint. its just common sense really.
    Hope you see my point on this,as i said already as a diehard i will attend regardless. i have already attended both Waterford Crystal games,Limerick footballers away to Leitrim,home to London,will be in Aviva on Wed. night,
    will be in Jackman Pk on Fri. night for Limerick's opening league game V Drogheda and in Ennis next Sun. for Limerick/Clare in football league.
    But we need to encourage the "borderline" fans to come out too.

if only the guys that fix the admission prices had your mindset it would be the start of a rennancse, but they have wll paid jobs with better pensions and are not in touch with reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

,Limerick footballers away to Leitrim,home to London,will be in Aviva on Wed. night,

sorry to hear you have to attend all that junk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

sorry to hear you have to attend all that junk

Don't be like that, I would classify talent shows & reality TV as junk but the vast majority of people find them enthralling, 1 man's rubbish being another man's treasure and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Clareman wrote: »
    Don't be like that, I would classify talent shows & reality TV as junk but the vast majority of people find them enthralling, 1 man's rubbish being another man's treasure and all that.

Your Right, I'm only goweling!!

Best of Luck Limerick Under John Allen

Hammered Kilkenny in the football but not by as much as some teams did. Only got one goal, 1-30 to 0-1. You'd have to ask what is the point of Kilkenny being in the competition if that's going to be result... I mean I don't understand how they can be so bad. Your average junior team would probably put up a better fight if they had the right tactics.

A decent win in the hurling too, 1-24 to 2-12. Apparently let in some sloppy scores though, including a goal right at the end and about 1-3 coming up to the end of the first half, after we had been comfortably in front. DOG was playing centre-back which is interesting. Dowling was shooting well, but had to go off injured, hopefully it's not a big blow, we're relying a lot on him and Hannon and with Hannon already out, our forwards could be in trouble. David Breen got the goal, scored 1-2 or 1-3. Conor Allis took over the free-taking duties when Dowling went off, seemed to do pretty well.

In fairness some of the points that Limerick scored V Kilkenny were tapped over rather than go for certain goals. admire a team for a sporting act like that. fair play to those in Kilkenny that keep the football show on the road,and shame on their county board for the blatent neglect down there.
    on a bright note, great to see the best midfielder in Ireland for the last 8 years return in the green shirt. welcome back John.:)

• Advertisement

In fairness some of the points that Limerick scored V Kilkenny were tapped over rather than go for certain goals. admire a team for a sporting act like that. fair play to those in Kilkenny that keep the football show on the road,and shame on their county board for the blatent neglect down there.
    on a bright note, great to see the best midfielder in Ireland for the last 8 years return in the green shirt. welcome back John.:)

I don't really understand how they can be so bad though.

I played in the football Féile a few years ago and both Dicksboro and Thomastown were very strong in their divisions. I know it was lower divisions but some of their players looked really good, better than ours and we've had people who have been around county teams for minor and stuff.

Obviously those players wouldn't be top a county standard but you'd think they'd be better than getting hammered by those kinda scorelines every single time.

And yes, great to see him back. What a player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement