Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Lynch started corner forward again yesterday, Gavin at 6 again. Sean O'Brien moved to the wing with King in the corner. If I were a betting man I'd say TJ will pick the following for the Clare game;

Murphy; Walsh, McCarthy, Condon; McNamara, O'Mahony, Morrissey; Ryan, P.O'Brien; Breen, Hannon, Browne; Mulcahy, Dowling, Tobin.

If Hickey fit, then he starts at 4, in which case a straight fight between Condon and Morrissey for the number 7 jersey. I'd hope Morrissey gets the nod, but I'd suspect Condon will get the nod as TJ has tended to be conservative.

Browne at wing forward the last two games suggests a straight swap with O'Grady, seems to be tradition to have one more defensive minded player in the half forward line (O.Moran, Hickey, Geary, O'Grady). I'm surprised it's Browne and not Ryan who is being tried there, Ryan is a bit more proven in the half forward line. If O'Grady is fit, then I'd imagine he'll go back in the wing, with Paudie O'Brien dropping out.

Even if Downes is available it's hard to see him being used in any role other than as a sub for the time being, but what a nice option to have.

Cian Lynch; I think 2015 is a year too soon in terms of him being a starter but I'd imagine he'll get a bit of time from the bench as well.
    I'd be very worried if that team if you say actually starts
    Half back line lacks pace and bar three forwards imo huge lack imo of scoring power there
    I believe if true wexford up next in a challenge then KK
    I totally agree with you tj is a very very conservative manager and he imo rarely goes for innovation in teams selection
    I'd actually start lynch in i think he is good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Half back line lacks pace and bar three forwards imo huge lack imo of scoring power there
    I totally agree with you tj is a very very conservative manager and he imo rarely goes for innovation in teams selection

Who would you put in the half-back line though? That has pace... Wayne is not slow- he's not a speed merchant, but he can cover the ground. I'm not sure I've ever seen Gavin in full flight tbh and Dan Morrissey is reasonably quick, again not explosive. I'd be more worried about their aerial ability than their pace. Tom Ryan is the only one really that has those attributes and you can hardly blame TJ for not playing him at this stage. I would have liked to see Nicky played in the half-back line and he's even slower tbh.

Allis, King and Seanie O'Brien are all really really quick but none of them are half-backs really and I wouldn't be comfortable with them starting there.

I wouldn't be too worried about the scoring power- the inside line and Hannon are all well capable of scoring, Breen is a good man to win frees at least and Browne has been averaging 3 or 4 points from midfield during the league. You'd expect Paudie, Jim-Bob and Condon to slot over a few too.

I don't think it was scoring power that cost us last year- goals, yes. And that has been a worry which needs to be worked on. Maybe Downes needs to be brought in for that, although Lynch has scored a few recently. It's the space between our full-back and half-back lines that worries me more than anything. Although Clare won't expose it as much because they withdraw a man.

Football Championship starts this weekend:

Group 1
    April 25, 7pm- St. Mary's/Sean Finn's vs St. Pat's (Ballyagran)
    April 26, 2pm- Drom/Broadford vs Monaleen (Kilmallock)
    April 26, 7pm- Ballylanders vs Pallasgreen (Bruff)

Group 2
    April 24, 7pm- Adare vs St. Kieran's (Bog Garden)
    April 24, 7.30pm- NCW vs Fr. Casey's (Tournafulla)
    April 26, 7pm- Ballysteen vs Na Piarsaigh (Ballybrown)

Hard to call this year, Ballylanders are the champions, are they going to repeat that feat? St. Pat's scored plenty last year and were possibly unlucky not to win it... no one would write off Drom/Broadford. Monaleen were poor last year, surely want to be a lot better this year. Fr. Casey's got back on the right path after an awful season, I reckon they'll go very close this year. NCW need to do better too. Can't write off newly-promoted Na Piarsaigh, have quite a large selection.

Adare and Pallasgreen must be favourites for relegation.

For this weekend's fixtures- I predict wins for:

St. Kieran's, Casey's, Pat's, Drom, Ballylanders, NaP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Fireball07 wrote: »
    You think Morrissey is better than Condon? I like Condon, I think he has to play tbh, and he'd be good at wing-back.

Considering that King & O'Brien have both featured recently though, I think that TJ will keep Condon on the wing and play one of those corner-backs rather than Dan if Hickey misses out. I really hope Hickey doesn't miss out, we'll need him imo.

I like Paudie at midfield, but Browne at wing-forward doesn't make much sense to me tbh. Browne is just a quality midfielder... now if we're playing a 3rd midfielder then fair enough, it's just Browne doesn't offer much of a ballwinning option really... I'd have kept Browne/Ryan and moved Paudie further forward if anything.

And also the fact that Lynch has been playing at 15 ahead of Tobin for both games implies to me that Lynch is being given the loose forward role which would suit him brilliantly and could also be a puckout option. Tobin is probably less suited to that role (Mulcahy would be the best man for it imo, but he's also a top-notch inside forward).

How about Downes? Supposed to be back soon. Could be an option in the half-forward line.

Not sure about Gavin at 6 either. But we don't really have anyone that jumps out, sadly.
    Well I think Condon is the better player but I think Dan Morrissey is possibly better suited to the wing. I'd have concerns about playing both Condon and McNamara in the half back line. Condon is as safe as you'll get in the full back line.

Breaking up the Ryan-Browne partnership is not something I support, they complement each other so well. Downes? Right now, nothing more than a sub, needs a few games under his belt, I think the Clare game is too soon in terms of starting but he'll provide healthy competition thereafter and I'd have every confidence in him.

The team I gave was my prediction on what TJ will pick, not the team I'd pick myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Allis, King and Seanie O'Brien are all really really quick but none of them are half-backs really and I wouldn't be comfortable with them starting there.

I'd argue that half back is indeed Seanie O'Briens natural position. He starred there in the harty cup winning team and county minor winning Patrickswell team. Has moved up the field as years went on but his best hurling has been at half back and midfield. With no place in midfield for him, there's a place up for grabs in the half back line for him I think

• Advertisement

Well I think Condon is the better player but I think Dan Morrissey is possibly better suited to the wing. I'd have concerns about playing both Condon and McNamara in the half back line. Condon is as safe as you'll get in the full back line.

Breaking up the Ryan-Browne partnership is not something I support, they complement each other so well. Downes? Right now, nothing more than a sub, needs a few games under his belt, I think the Clare game is too soon in terms of starting but he'll provide healthy competition thereafter and I'd have every confidence in him.

The team I gave was my prediction on what TJ will pick, not the team I'd pick myself!

I'd be very surprised if TJ didn't pick Condon on the wing at this stage.

I'd agree with him on that, I can see why you might have reservations about him and Wayne as our half-backs, both are a bit... I dunno, they over-complicate things at times. But they're both tough, uncomprising and bring a mean edge to the half-back line which we have lacked for a while.

I really hope Hickey is back though.

Colemania wrote: »
    I'd argue that half back is indeed Seanie O'Briens natural position. He starred there in the harty cup winning team and county minor winning Patrickswell team. Has moved up the field as years went on but his best hurling has been at half back and midfield. With no place in midfield for him, there's a place up for grabs in the half back line for him I think

Well, maybe, I've seen him play a lot of positions at this stage and would say that midfield is the one I think he's best. He did play at wing-back in that last challenge game though, so maybe he's being looked at there. I just don't see him beating a half-forward like Harnedy, Bonner, Conlon, etc in the air and I think he'd be targeted. But he could be good for man-marking someone like Lehane.

I don't have an issue with the team as such, it wouldn't be the team I'd pick, my concern goes back to the old chestnut you have mentioned many a time; tactics. I'm no fan of Davy, the man has his flaws, but he's no fool in terms of spotting and targeting a teams weakness and our main weakness is a porous half back line, Davy will plan accordingly.

And Clare are well equipped in terms of personnel to kill us if we don't tighten that up. We need to have a plan B (sweeper) just in case for the Clare game (well, for all games in fairness). We tend to play a defensive half forward, if we are prepared to be flexible about how we use that player (be it Browne or O'Grady or whoever else) then we'll be fine. In fact, given his age (35) the role could be tailor made for Donal O'Grady this year. You can't just throw any player back there, but O'Grady is an intelligent enough hurler to fit the bill.

2013 is still firmly embedded in my mind. Clare killed us with the sweeper that day. We had no plan B that day, we can't do that again.

I don't have an issue with the team as such, it wouldn't be the team I'd pick, my concern goes back to the old chestnut you have mentioned many a time; tactics. I'm no fan of Davy, the man has his flaws, but he's no fool in terms of spotting and targeting a teams weakness and our main weakness is a porous half back line, Davy will plan accordingly.

And Clare are well equipped in terms of personnel to kill us if we don't tighten that up. We need to have a plan B (sweeper) just in case for the Clare game (well, for all games in fairness). We tend to play a defensive half forward, if we are prepared to be flexible about how we use that player (be it Browne or O'Grady or whoever else) then we'll be fine. In fact, given his age (35) the role could be tailor made for Donal O'Grady this year. You can't just throw any player back there, but O'Grady is an intelligent enough hurler to fit the bill.

2013 is still firmly embedded in my mind. Clare killed us with the sweeper that day. We had no plan B that day, we can't do that again.

Was there not a sweeper or 3rd midfielder or something used in those last 2 challenge games, that's the impression I got.

Hickey played as a sweeper basically in 2013... that said, the way to combat the sweeper isn't to play a sweeper of your own. It's smart ball, and running at the team from midfield.

Was there not a sweeper or 3rd midfielder or something used in those last 2 challenge games, that's the impression I got.

Hickey played as a sweeper basically in 2013... that said, the way to combat the sweeper isn't to play a sweeper of your own. It's smart ball, and running at the team from midfield.
    I'm not talking about using a sweeper to combat opposition doing likewise, I'm just concerned at how teams tend to find and exploit space between our half and full back lines and it just strikes me that a sweeper would be the most effective way of tightening up in that respect.

Your right regarding how to combat it, smart ball was sorely lacking last time we played Clare, we handed Donellan his All-Star on a plate that day :(

I'm not talking about using a sweeper to combat opposition doing likewise, I'm just concerned at how teams tend to find and exploit space between our half and full back lines and it just strikes me that a sweeper would be the most effective way of tightening up in that respect.

Your right regarding how to combat it, smart ball was sorely lacking last time we played Clare, we handed Donellan his All-Star on a plate that day :(

Well yeah, the Cork game last year was a good example of that. The only thing about a sweeper is it can leave you short up front. I'm almost certain that Clare will withdraw one of their inside men though and that will leave one of our corner-backs free... presumably to pick up any space in front of the backline. If Clare do go 15 on 15, it could be a problem alright but they didn't do that during the league at all really.

The other way of stopping that is to play a deep centre-back (it didn't happen against KK in the rain because everyone was deeper). Waterford play very deep these days, Tipp did it last year, it tightens things up. The only thing is a deep-lying centre-forward can pick off scores at will and it puts huge pressure on your midfield. I wouldn't be against us doing that tbh and taking our chances with the long-range scores.

And you're right about Donnellan and 2013, but TJ is not Allen and to be fair, we did generally feed our forwards fairly good ball last year. We gave our forwards a good chance of winning it which is all you can ask for really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Well Im glad paidi is gone from half back after that I don't have a clue what team will be picked or what our best options are tbh, haven't seen enough of a few players to comment.

Would have reservations about lots of selections but until we see what tactics are its hard to know. Will we play a sweeper, a 3rd midfielder or just play deep, hard to know, any which way we cant leave backs exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Thanks for the info paddy.

I think hickey is due to be back in time and will surely start. I expect condon will start on the wing, Dan Morrissey didn't convince as much as I hoped he might this year, and condon has way more pace. In contradiction to what someone said earlier about condon at corner back, I thought he had some ropey moments last year, it might tighten things up to move him out.

Downes hasn't played a game yet this year. I don't think we can even consider him even as a sub, unfortunately.

I've said before we're well stocked with players for the middle third of the field. If Browne starts as a wing forward surely he'll just be playing his normal midfield role, maybe allowing Ryan drop deeper to cover Gavin at 6. I'd quite like that set up. If that is the game plan then Lynch is perfect for the roaming corner forward role.

Murphy/Hennessy
    Hickey Richie Walsh
    Wayne Gavin condon
    Ryan Browne
    Breen Hannon O'Brien/Dodge
    Lynch dowling mulcahy

Who would you put in the half-back line though? That has pace... Wayne is not slow- he's not a speed merchant, but he can cover the ground. I'm not sure I've ever seen Gavin in full flight tbh and Dan Morrissey is reasonably quick, again not explosive. I'd be more worried about their aerial ability than their pace. Tom Ryan is the only one really that has those attributes and you can hardly blame TJ for not playing him at this stage. I would have liked to see Nicky played in the half-back line and he's even slower tbh.

I wouldn't be too worried about the scoring power- the inside line and Hannon are all well capable of scoring, Breen is a good man to win frees at least and Browne has been averaging 3 or 4 points from midfield during the league. You'd expect Paudie, Jim-Bob and Condon to slot over a few too.

I don't think it was scoring power that cost us last year- goals, yes. And that has been a worry which needs to be worked on. Maybe Downes needs to be brought in for that, although Lynch has scored a few recently. It's the space between our full-back and half-back lines that worries me more than anything. Although Clare won't expose it as much because they withdraw a man.
    If Hickey was there I'd play him centre back but that's not tj fault if he's injured

If I was Ryan I'd call up carmody ASAP and he played half back for limerick and is good in the air but very fast and loads of hurling
    He played v Cork this year for ul out position at half forward and cleaned up in the air and impressive he was
    He has pace to mark kelly if needed
    My team would be
    Murphy if quaid as it seems is out
    Walsh
    Riche
    King
    O mahony
    Carmody
    Condon if hickey was fit he'd be centre with carmody at seven and Condon at corner
    Against other teams the day may come physical players like o brien and Wayne are needed but against clare you need pace and mobility and creativity as clare half forward line is not really potent aerial wise
    Every game you pick horses for courses selection so while some work v clare may not work v tipp so you change where needed

Midfield
    Browne
    Ryan

Half forward line

Hannon
    O grady but named here but playing as a sweeper like Hanlei said
    He's intelligent and superb reader of the game he'd sweeper any ball around half back line
    Downes
    Full forward line

Lynch
    Mulchay
    Dowling
    Lynch but he plays deep and roams and picks up loose ball and he's pace and creativity is brilliant and yes young but imo so good temperament well able start now and fills the gap o grady leaves by playing deep

That team could still play traditional intense style and passion pride limerick but it's not predictable and dimensions and would cause clare problems and limerick I feel would win
    It wont be for lack players if limerick loose it's going to be tactics and being predictable and easy to beat
    Limerick have the players to win

If Hickey was there I'd play him centre back but that's not tj fault if he's injured

If I was Ryan I'd call up carmody ASAP and he played half back for limerick and is good in the air but very fast and loads of hurling
    He played v Cork this year for ul out position at half forward and cleaned up in the air and impressive he was
    My team would be
    Walsh
    Riche
    King
    O mahony
    Carmody
    Condon if hickey was fit he'd be centre with carmody at seven and Condon at corner
    Against other teams the day may come physical players like o brien and Wayne are needed but against clare you need pace and mobility and creativity as clare half forward line is not really potent aerial wise
    Every game you pick horses for courses selection so while some work v clare may not work v tipp so you change where needed

Midfield
    Browne
    Ryan

Half forward line

Hannon
    He's intelligent and superb reader of the game he'd sweeper any ball around half back line
    Downes
    Full forward line

Lynch
    Mulchay
    Dowling
    Lynch but he plays deep and roams and picks up loose ball and he's pace and creativity is brilliant and yes young but imo so good temperament well able start now and fills the gap o grady leaves by playing deep

That team could still play traditional intense style and passion pride limerick but it's not predictable and dimensions and would cause clare problems and limerick I feel would win
    It wont be for lack players if limerick loose it's going to be tactics and being predictable and easy to beat

I agree with most of that but I'd have to disagree about Carmody. He's a good player but he's not close to being an intercounty centre-back at all... I mean he's never played there in his life. Even at half-back, I don't really rate him, reckon he's a good sweeping corner-back and good in midfield. Did play on the wing at underage and was good there but while I do think he is a good player, I'm not sure of his man-marking ability. He is pretty decent in the air alright and has a lot of pace but I'd be picking Alan Dempsey ahead of him 10 times out of 10, just a better player full stop tbh.

The rest seems fair enough although I'd have reservations about throwing King in for a game against Clare. I do like him as a player and he is a good man marker as well as a sweeper but he didn't look up to it at all in the pre-season games and his touch lets him down at times. If he had been played at corner-back during the league and he'd done well, I'd play him but again, I reckon his clubmate Dempsey is just a better player, I don't know why he's not on the panel.

Dodge will definitely start except that he's likely to miss out through injury so I'd have Hannon at 11 and Breen at 10.

I'd prefer Hickey at centre-back too but it's not going to happen at this stage, and I suppose we'll need someone to pick up McGrath inside.

My team would be
    Walsh
    Riche
    King
    O mahony
    Carmody

Midfield
    Browne
    Ryan

Half forward line

Hannon
    Downes
    Full forward line

Lynch
    Mulchay
    Dowling

Ah here....

Big shock in the football championship today, Pallasgreen beat Ballylanders. Scored 3 goals. Don't think anyone saw that coming, could end up seeing last year's champions not make the knockout stage, it's likely to be very tight.

Drom beat Monaleen, Ballysteen edged out Na Piarsaigh, St. Kieran's scored a couple of late goals to beat Adare, Pats hammered Rathkeale and I was wrong about NCW/Casey's- NCW won by a couple of goals- Quilligan & Cian Sheehan afaik.

Ah here....

Debate the points you want

Usual stuff do short one liner or phrase you never engage in debate with respect but your own argument for direct orthodox hugely supportive tj game plan has been proven be outdated
    Feel free tell me what you disagree with please
    It's no value to debate just two words now to be fair
    And you will find we agree on lynch should start know you're fan
    You would be correct in your view on him as he's outstanding player

Fireball yes carmody hasn't player centre back but played lot half back and against kelly won't need be normal centre back but imo fine player mark kelly

Has hurling and pace and as proved when even full forwards limerick minors he's day

Certainly better than Wayne mac who pace be exposed v clsre imo

Big shock in the football championship today, Pallasgreen beat Ballylanders. Scored 3 goals. Don't think anyone saw that coming, could end up seeing last year's champions not make the knockout stage, it's likely to be very tight.

Drom beat Monaleen, Ballysteen edged out Na Piarsaigh, St. Kieran's scored a couple of late goals to beat Adare, Pats hammered Rathkeale and I was wrong about NCW/Casey's- NCW won by a couple of goals- Quilligan & Cian Sheehan afaik.
    Is this group stages or knock out please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Is this group stages or knock out please?

Only the first match of the group stage. Championship is 2 groups of 6 teams.
    So each team plays 5 group games. Top team in each group goes straight to semi-final with 2nd and 3rd in each group playing 1/4 finals.
    The extra game (1/4 final) can actually suit some teams.
    Bottom team in each group play off to avoid relegation.

Debate the points you want

Usual stuff do short one liner or phrase you never engage in debate with respect but your own argument for direct orthodox hugely supportive tj game plan has been proven be outdated
    Feel free tell me what you disagree with please
    It's no value to debate just two words now to be fair
    And you will find we agree on lynch should start know you're fan
    You would be correct in your view on him as he's outstanding player

Fireball yes carmody hasn't player centre back but played lot half back and against kelly won't need be normal centre back but imo fine player mark kelly

Has hurling and pace and as proved when even full forwards limerick minors he's day

Certainly better than Wayne mac who pace be exposed v clsre imo

Where to start.

Downes hasn't played hurling yet this year so should play no part.

But Carmody at 6? I like him and think he should be on the panel, but he'd be behind Dempsey and maybe King for a corner back spot. I don't think he has ever at any level played at 6 and you want to parachute him in there for senior inter county. Complete nonsense.

You also seem to reckon putting a fast player on Kelly will do the job which is equally ridiculous. If a centre back follows Kelly all over the field and marks him out of the game the rest of the Clare forwards would have a field day with the space left.

• Advertisement

Where to start.

Downes hasn't played hurling yet this year so should play no part.

But Carmody at 6? I like him and think he should be on the panel, but he'd be behind Dempsey and maybe King for a corner back spot. I don't think he has ever at any level played at 6 and you want to parachute him in there for senior inter county. Complete nonsense.

You also seem to reckon putting a fast player on Kelly will do the job which is equally ridiculous. If a centre back follows Kelly all over the field and marks him out of the game the rest of the Clare forwards would have a field day with the space left.

Downes should be playing next week and if comes through and two challenge I play him
    Half fit Downes better fully fit breen

Role for kelly is Brian Murphy man markers role and that's why carmody centre back follows him every where o grady as sweeper fills the space at six

Wayne mac and mahony as unit will be easily beaten by clare
    It's predictable what tj will do though and expect no great team changed

Waterford poster said limerick went orthodox last week challenge and it was not good and allowed Waterford second string team open them up as they had a sweeper
    Tj has no idea how beat a sweeper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Tj has no idea how beat a sweeper

Never ends does it? At this stage TJ is not fit to coach an under 10 team by some posters here. It really is time for the sh7te to end. This is a man dedicated to Limerick for God only knows how many years and who cannot defend himself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Never ends does it? At this stage TJ is not fit to coach an under 10 team by some posters here. It really is time for the sh7te to end. This is a man dedicated to Limerick for God only knows how many years and who cannot defend himself here.

It's only one poster, with a great way of making every fact fit with his opinion, so Limerick beat tipp and Wexford last year? come up with a reason why that was no great feat(Wexford were tired, tipp were not interested), come within 2 points of Kilkenny in a knife edge game?( Kilkenny would have hammered limerick on a dry day!)...and on and on, it gets tiresome but you have to wade through a lot of crap to get good info here...

Would your stop please seriously debate points you want rather than same one line statement again

we had same regards cork football manager look at shambles we have
    Debate points cause I no interest going toe to toe with you
    Leave everything else out of it just answer one question please
    What has he ever won or done intercounty management
    And seen as you pick my posts out repeatedly question other limerick support where three say no faith tj either
    All some done questioned he's record which perfectly entitled to do
    Nothing more or less
    Your fast enough to critse other proven managers

Again TJ WAS MY HERO AS A PLAYER BUT JUDGE HIM AS A MANAGER

Go away there and read hurling revolution years book page 244 to page two fifty by Denis Walsh
    Yes he's a cork writer but hopefully it won't put you off reading it
    Mick o flynn clearly explain what makes cody tick and says critsom players is harsh but has be done and same concept with management

I raised a point regards a sweeper and as offaly KK wexford and Waterford as Waterford poster said there thread last week challenge again proved he's difficulty beating a sweeper
    If you can give me example he has fair enough I'll agree with you
    Please give me examples

I would definitely be in favour of putting someone on Kelly to mark him but you can't leave a big, gaping hole at centre-back either. If we were going to do it, you'd name a man marker at wing-forward or corner-forward and let him after Kelly... if Kelly was being man-marked by whoever was supposed to be at 6, you'd have a huge hole in the middle of your defence and your half-backs would be outnumbered too which is exactly what Clare would want. Imagine what Reidy or Tots or Cunningham could do with that much space.

And there is no guarantee Kelly will play that roving centre-forward role either, remember that Galvin is leaving and he's a huge player for them. Who else are they going to play in midfield? Donnellan/Bugler? Maybe Nicky O'Connell or Shane Golden, maybe Seadna Morey? Without being offensive to them, I would expect Jim-Bob and Paul Browne to dominate against them. I think Clare will have to name Kelly in midfield and let someone like Tots or Reidy play that roving role, or possibly put in another ball-winner like Duggan or someone. I'm not 100% sure.

And even then, who has actually successfully man-marked Kelly? Now I know he drifts in and out of games and isn't always effective but usually that's down to himself rather than being marked... I would say Brian Murphy is the only one who is one of the best man markers of the last 20 years. There's not a chance that Carmody could be anywhere near as effective as him, it would be incredibly harsh on a young player who isn't even known as a man marker. Hickey would be the man for the job but there's any number of people I'd use ahead of Carmody (Browne, Condon, King, Dempsey). But Kelly isn't going to win the match on his own, if we can dominate from puck-outs and win the midfield battle, I would say we'll win. I'd be more interested in picking a half-back line that could do that. Obviously our backs will have to be aware of the Clare movement, which is exceptional at times and Kelly is arguably the best at it.

Would your stop please seriously debate points you want rather than same one line statement again

we had same regards cork football manager look at shambles we have
    Debate points cause I no interest going toe to toe with you
    Leave everything else out of it just answer one question please
    What has he ever won or done intercounty management
    And seen as you pick my posts out repeatedly question other limerick support where three say no faith tj either
    All some done questioned he's record which perfectly entitled to do
    Nothing more or less
    Your fast enough to critse other proven managers

Again TJ WAS MY HERO AS A PLAYER BUT JUDGE HIM AS A MANAGER

Go away there and read hurling revolution years book page 244 to page two fifty by Denis Walsh
    Yes he's a cork writer but hopefully it won't put you off reading it
    Mick o flynn clearly explain what makes cody tick and says critsom players is harsh but has be done and same concept with management

Ryan has half of one season in charge as manager. He reached and all Ireland semi final losing very narrowly to the eventual champions.

We know your opinion on Ryan now and are sick of hearing it. Could you please stop repeating yourself over and over again if you have nothing new to say.

I would definitely be in favour of putting someone on Kelly to mark him but you can't leave a big, gaping hole at centre-back either. If we were going to do it, you'd name a man marker at wing-forward or corner-forward and let him after Kelly... if Kelly was being man-marked by whoever was supposed to be at 6, you'd have a huge hole in the middle of your defence and your half-backs would be outnumbered too which is exactly what Clare would want. Imagine what Reidy or Tots or Cunningham could do with that much space.

And there is no guarantee Kelly will play that roving centre-forward role either, remember that Galvin is leaving and he's a huge player for them. Who else are they going to play in midfield? Donnellan/Bugler? Maybe Nicky O'Connell or Shane Golden, maybe Seadna Morey? Without being offensive to them, I would expect Jim-Bob and Paul Browne to dominate against them. I think Clare will have to name Kelly in midfield and let someone like Tots or Reidy play that roving role, or possibly put in another ball-winner like Duggan or someone. I'm not 100% sure.

And even then, who has actually successfully man-marked Kelly? Now I know he drifts in and out of games and isn't always effective but usually that's down to himself rather than being marked... I would say Brian Murphy is the only one who is one of the best man markers of the last 20 years. There's not a chance that Carmody could be anywhere near as effective as him, it would be incredibly harsh on a young player who isn't even known as a man marker. Hickey would be the man for the job but there's any number of people I'd use ahead of Carmody (Browne, Condon, King, Dempsey). But Kelly isn't going to win the match on his own, if we can dominate from puck-outs and win the midfield battle, I would say we'll win. I'd be more interested in picking a half-back line that could do that. Obviously our backs will have to be aware of the Clare movement, which is exceptional at times and Kelly is arguably the best at it.

A lot valid points
    Would you agree o grady plays a sweeper to cover space by carmody man marking kelly
    If Hickey fit he's man initially to mark him

Ryan has half of one season in charge as manager. He reached and all Ireland semi final losing very narrowly to the eventual champions.

We know your opinion on Ryan now and are sick of hearing it. Could you please stop repeating yourself over and over again if you have nothing new to say.

In fairness I said nothing about him but twice KK supporter picks up my posts and asks me explain myself
    What am I meant to do
    Point I raises be fair is valid point ye have beat sweeper beat clare but haven't yet
    I'm sorry but you don't like my view fair enough I respect your but you can't expect someone not say a point just cause you disagree with it

Yere playing clsre a double sweeper system so it's a huge talking point to beat the sweeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

TJ out.

• Advertisement

Vanolder wrote: »
    TJ out.

Would not agree with that now but he should try and get some one like declan Fitzgerald involved coaching for rest year and he knows limerick hurling well and we'll respect and real tactical bonus and he's huge experience all level minors school club in tipp and cork and ul and limerick minors under twenty one cork delevopment squads
    Would be smooth transition now imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement