Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

Anyone know when and where the challenge matches against Wexford and Kilkenny are on?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Great report thanks Paddy. I had heard Breen played well. Downes would be a huge addition if he got back fit. First game all year though, surely he couldn't be ready to start for the Clare game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Another club game and a challenge match wouldnt have him far off starting, depends how big a part he is of TJ's plan, definitely a great bench option at least.

Im assuming there are 2 rounds of club games? but then there's apparently a challenge in hospital next sunday, anyone know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

minor team named lads what dye reckon ?

Limerick Minor Hurling Team v Waterford this Wednesday:
    The Limerick minor hurling management has announced their team and panel for this Wednesday evening clash with Waterford in Thurles a number of changes were made since their defeat of Cork in the quarter final.
    The Limerick minor hurling team and panel is as follows 1,Eoghan McNamama (Captain)(Doon), 2, Thomas Hayes (Doon), 3, Conor McSweeney (South Liberties), 4, Jack O Grady (Knockainey), 5, Conor Byrnes (Murroe Boher), 6, Paddy O Loughlin (Kilmallock), 7, Conor Houlihan (Na Piarsaigh), 8, Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsaigh), 9, Willie O Meara (Askeaton), 10, Kyle Hayes (Kildimo Pallaskenry), 11, Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh Castlemahon), 12, Brian Ryan (South Liberties), 13, Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh), 14, Barry Murphy (Doon) & 15, Darragh Carroll (Kilteely Dromkeen).
    16, Adam O Brien (Ahane), 17, Ciaran O Connor (Kilmallock,), 18, Colum Carroll (Ahane), 19, Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh), 20, Mickey Mackey (Adare), 21, Eoin Ryan (Adare), 22, Paudie Ahern (Kileedy), 23, Michael Bourke (Garryspillane) & 24, Darren Golden (Monaleen).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

N20 wrote: »

The Limerick minor hurling management has announced their team and panel for this Wednesday evening clash with Waterford in Thurles a number of changes were made since their defeat of Cork in the quarter final.
    The Limerick minor hurling team and panel is as follows 1,Eoghan McNamama (Captain)(Doon), 2, Thomas Hayes (Doon), 3, Conor McSweeney (South Liberties), 4, Jack O Grady (Knockainey), 5, Conor Byrnes (Murroe Boher), 6, Paddy O Loughlin (Kilmallock), 7, Conor Houlihan (Na Piarsaigh), 8, Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsaigh), 9, Willie O Meara (Askeaton), 10, Kyle Hayes (Kildimo Pallaskenry), 11, Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh Castlemahon), 12, Brian Ryan (South Liberties), 13, Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh), 14, Barry Murphy (Doon) & 15, Darragh Carroll (Kilteely Dromkeen).
    16, Adam O Brien (Ahane), 17, Ciaran O Connor (Kilmallock,), 18, Colum Carroll (Ahane), 19, Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh), 20, Mickey Mackey (Adare), 21, Eoin Ryan (Adare), 22, Paudie Ahern (Kileedy), 23, Michael Bourke (Garryspillane) & 24, Darren Golden (Monaleen).

A strong team in certain areas but the sweeper system is set up again with caroll dropping back

Good to see mackey is on the bench and flangan at centre forward
    Certainly this team has better balance and have a chance on that team however loughin be better at full I think

It's tough to call but once daly doesn't stick to the sweeper it imo could win for limerick
    I haven't seen waterford play so it's hard to judge them but they if tipp game is good barometer then should be strong
    Waterford certainly owe limerick a defeat
    I thought Mccarthy would made the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Looks stronger.

Hayes & Houlihan are both good backs; by all accounts it was the half-back line that got cleaned the last day so Houlihan should bolster that and as ttm said Carroll might drop back too. Hopefully anyway. Around midfield, Grimes might do better there and Willie O'Meara is very talented and made an impression from the bench the last day... it's a total change from the last day and hopefully it will make a difference.

Elsewhere, Brian Ryan is back which is a huge boost. Scored 2 goals for Liberties' senior side and apparently was their star man. Very talented and if Seamus Flanagan does line out there, that's a very formidable half-forward line. I know Casey moved to centre-forward the last day but I'd prefer to have him closer to goal... him and Murphy inside could cause riot while Flanagan has the work rate and playmaking ability to get them good ball.

Mackey back fit will help as well. Again, disappointed not to have Darren O'Connell involved, by all accounts, he was scoring regularly in challenge games.

Waterford ran Tipp all the way though so can't be written off. Based on performances in the last round, they'd have to be favourites and our lads will need to improve a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

Another club game and a challenge match wouldnt have him far off starting, depends how big a part he is of TJ's plan, definitely a great bench option at least.

Im assuming there are 2 rounds of club games? but then there's apparently a challenge in hospital next sunday, anyone know for sure.

Next round of club hurling championship is week after Clare game, club football championship this weekend coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Vanolder wrote: »
    Loughnane's spies are bang on the money... big questions over Limerick's fitness. Clare to romp home I reckon.

I heard over the weekend from a panel member that very heavy training was undertaken during the league.
    I wouldnt doubt it especially looking at the dublin game. I would not be concerned about our fitness in 3 weeks. We have done okay in the last two years in that line.
    Its more the hurling and tactics side of things. Especially picking our strongest team and not as has been suggested here picking someone to track certain clare fellas. Play our own game. Concentrate on trying to rattle the net more. If its not good enough so be it.

Waterfords man of match on sunday said they went back in november way before everyone else. Their game plan requires huge work rate and energy. Can they keep it going until august/sept? More luck to them if they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

pajoguy wrote: »
    I heard over the weekend from a panel member that very heavy training was undertaken during the league.
    I wouldnt doubt it especially looking at the dublin game. I would not be concerned about our fitness in 3 weeks. We have done okay in the last two years in that line.
    Its more the hurling and tactics side of things. Especially picking our strongest team and not as has been suggested here picking someone to track certain clare fellas. Play our own game. Concentrate on trying to rattle the net more. If its not good enough so be it.

Waterfords man of match on sunday said they went back in november way before everyone else. Their game plan requires huge work rate and energy. Can they keep it going until august/sept? More luck to them if they can.
    Thats true Waterford put in a huge effort early in the year with the intention of getting a run on their 1b rivals and obviously it worked. Going to be hard to keep that level up for the year.

I wouldn't be overly worried about fitness, we were fine last year, I imagine Lyons knows what he's doing. Maybe a slighter bigger worry on our physical strength/power, but again that is Lyons area and I don't think it's an area we've been lacking in over the past couple of years and that's been his remit for a good while.

I'd say we'll be fine for when it matters, I'd be more worried about the hurling/tactics side of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Any word on upcoming challenges? On the back of the league there is plenty to worry about in relation to tactics and how we play the game, but the positioning of GOM at 6 and Browne at wing-forward are interesting developments if persisted with. Browne at 10 or 12 would suggest we would be dropping a half-forward deep, possibly playing Ryan, O'Brien and Browne as three midfielders. This would be a positive move, imo. The big worry for me is the fitness concerns over Breen & Downes. We will struggle big time to win possession in the forwards if both are out. If neither starts then we really need to consider starting Seanie O'Brien or David Reidy up front with the orders to simply harrass the ****e out of the Clare backs. We can't afford Clare (or any team, for that matter) to saunter out of defence with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Any word on upcoming challenges? On the back of the league there is plenty to worry about in relation to tactics and how we play the game, but the positioning of GOM at 6 and Browne at wing-forward are interesting developments if persisted with. Browne at 10 or 12 would suggest we would be dropping a half-forward deep, possibly playing Ryan, O'Brien and Browne as three midfielders. This would be a positive move, imo. The big worry for me is the fitness concerns over Breen & Downes. We will struggle big time to win possession in the forwards if both are out. If neither starts then we really need to consider starting Seanie O'Brien or David Reidy up front with the orders to simply harrass the ****e out of the Clare backs. We can't afford Clare (or any team, for that matter) to saunter out of defence with the ball.

No better man than Seanie O'Brien for that job. He'll really get in their faces and won't give up until the final whistle. He'd be familiar to Tony Kelly's play having played with and against him and would be very tuned in to how Clare play having played with some of the Clare lads in school and college and also being trained by Davy Fitz at LIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

A strong team in certain areas but the sweeper system is set up again with caroll dropping back

Good to see mackey is on the bench and flangan at centre forward
    Certainly this team has better balance and have a chance on that team however loughin be better at full I think

It's tough to call but once daly doesn't stick to the sweeper it imo could win for limerick
    I haven't seen waterford play so it's hard to judge them but they if tipp game is good barometer then should be strong
    Waterford certainly owe limerick a defeat
    I thought Mccarthy would made the bench
    Who is this McCarthy you speak of?
    Does not seem to be even on extended panel.

The word is we're playing Kilkenny and Wexford in challenge matches in the next couple of weeks, I'm not sure where.

I'd say Downes and Breen will be fit; not sure if both will start. I'd probably start both but if we are employing Browne at 12 and dropping him deep, I doubt there'll be room for both of them.

If that is what we do, we could see a formation a bit like:
    Murphy
    Walsh Richie Hickey
    Gavin
    Wayne........Condon
    Ryan
    Paudie Browne
    Breen Hannon
    Lynch
    Mulcahy Dowling

Gavin playing as a deep centre-back a bit like Dodge did in 2012 or De Burca for Waterford, with one of the midfielders, maybe Jim-Bob or Paudie giving the half-back line that extra bit of protection with the other one playing midfield alongside Browne.

Lynch allowed to float wherever he wants.

That's if that experiment has worked well in the challenges, otherwise we're likely to line out in a similar formation to last year, with maybe Lynch allowed a bit of freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Fireball07 wrote: »

Murphy
    Walsh Richie Hickey
    Gavin
    Wayne........Condon
    Ryan
    Paudie Browne
    Breen Hannon
    Lynch
    Mulcahy Dowling

Personally, I wouldn't start Lynch. I think he has more to offer at this point as a sub coming on. He has been inclined through the league to take the ball into traffic, and in the opening exchanges when space is at a premium I fear he will be swallowed up. But he has the pure skill in abundance to make an impact when he comes on. Other than the that, the lineup looks good, Tobin in for Lynch is the change I would make, Downes and Lynch serious impact to bring in off the bench.

Personally, I wouldn't start Lynch. I think he has more to offer at this point as a sub coming on. He has been inclined through the league to take the ball into traffic, and in the opening exchanges when space is at a premium I fear he will be swallowed up. But he has the pure skill in abundance to make an impact when he comes on. Other than the that, the lineup looks good, Tobin in for Lynch is the change I would make, Downes and Lynch serious impact to bring in off the bench.

I just think that he's almost too talented to leave you; I think that if we did give him the roaming role, that he could pick up the space better than most. Hannon could also be good in that role, but he's the type of player that sometimes drifts out of games- I'd prefer to put him centrally and have him involved constantly; whereas Lynch is probably a better man to go hunting for the ball.

If we weren't to play Lynch, I'm not sure I'd play Tobin though. I'm a huge fan of Seanie, but I'm not sure he's suited to that roaming role and I don't think we need another inside forward. Mulcahy is probably better suited for that role, like he played in 2011, or how Dunford operates for Waterford but it'd be a waste not to have him in and around the goal. I'd probably replace Lynch with Downes and stick him on the 40 as another ballwinner.

The word is we're playing Kilkenny and Wexford in challenge matches in the next couple of weeks, I'm not sure where.

I'd say Downes and Breen will be fit; not sure if both will start. I'd probably start both but if we are employing Browne at 12 and dropping him deep, I doubt there'll be room for both of them.

Murphy
    Walsh Richie Hickey
    Gavin
    Wayne........Condon
    Ryan
    Paudie Browne
    Breen Hannon
    Lynch
    Mulcahy Dowling

Gavin playing as a deep centre-back a bit like Dodge did in 2012 or De Burca for Waterford, with one of the midfielders, maybe Jim-Bob or Paudie giving the half-back line that extra bit of protection with the other one playing midfield alongside Browne.

Lynch allowed to float wherever he wants.

That's if that experiment has worked well in the challenges, otherwise we're likely to line out in a similar formation to last year, with maybe Lynch allowed a bit of freedom.

That seems to be the consensus as to the team to be named. Gavin named at 6 but playing as a sweeper, Wayne named at 5 but playing at 6, Paudie named mid but playing at 5, browne named 12 but playing at mid...

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Looks stronger.

Hayes & Houlihan are both good backs; by all accounts it was the half-back line that got cleaned the last day so Houlihan should bolster that and as ttm said Carroll might drop back too. Hopefully anyway. Around midfield, Grimes might do better there and Willie O'Meara is very talented and made an impression from the bench the last day... it's a total change from the last day and hopefully it will make a difference.

Elsewhere, Brian Ryan is back which is a huge boost. Scored 2 goals for Liberties' senior side and apparently was their star man. Very talented and if Seamus Flanagan does line out there, that's a very formidable half-forward line. I know Casey moved to centre-forward the last day but I'd prefer to have him closer to goal... him and Murphy inside could cause riot while Flanagan has the work rate and playmaking ability to get them good ball.

Mackey back fit will help as well. Again, disappointed not to have Darren O'Connell involved, by all accounts, he was scoring regularly in challenge games.

Waterford ran Tipp all the way though so can't be written off. Based on performances in the last round, they'd have to be favourites and our lads will need to improve a lot.

I'd say Waterford will be buoyed by their performance against Tipp and will certainly take game to Limerick - they have some very talented individuals - Darragh Lyons 3rd yr minor you wouldn't know where he will be deployed - he has played a sweeper role in past - supposedly they are a fast team albeit light and not as good in previous years but well up for battle

Weather might slow things which will be to limericks advantage as they seem a bigger team

With injured players back and Mackey on bench Limerick seem to have more options than last day and I give them the edge

this is real championship now - one teams journey ending this evening

I hope it will be a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

I'd say Waterford will be buoyed by their performance against Tipp and will certainly take game to Limerick - they have some very talented individuals - Darragh Lyons 3rd yr minor you wouldn't know where he will be deployed - he has played a sweeper role in past - supposedly they are a fast team albeit light and not as good in previous years but well up for battle

Weather might slow things which will be to limericks advantage as they seem a bigger team

With injured players back and Mackey on bench Limerick seem to have more options than last day and I give them the edge

this is real championship now - one teams journey ending this evening

I hope it will be a good one

Will be a tough one to win I think, waterford will be buoyed by the feelgood factor of the seniors going well and winning a league last Sunday and they have played championship in Thurles before, on the other hand have limerick learned more in getting a trimming from cork, how good are cork? And how good are tipp? All on the night, the prize is big, a game back in the Gaelic grounds in the semi so hopefully they start aswell as last day and don't let it slip...

Cu Baire wrote: »
    Who is this McCarthy you speak of?
    Does not seem to be even on extended panel.

Cal Mccarthy kilmallock was called up to the training panel last while

• Advertisement

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Will be a tough one to win I think, waterford will be buoyed by the feelgood factor of the seniors going well and winning a league last Sunday and they have played championship in Thurles before, on the other hand have limerick learned more in getting a trimming from cork, how good are cork? And how good are tipp? All on the night, the prize is big, a game back in the Gaelic grounds in the semi so hopefully they start aswell as last day and don't let it slip...
    That's to be fair a well balanced team bar imo two position and once daly get the tactics right limerick I think have a great chance
    Depends on how he sets them up
    But credit due he's picked a better balanced team then the last game

Flangan on lyons should be mouth watering and lucey for Waterford is a good hurler and played well with youghal in the harty all year

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

quote="glasagusban;95358008"]That seems to be the consensus as to the team to be named. Gavin named at 6 but playing as a sweeper, Wayne named at 5 but playing at 6, Paudie named mid but playing at 5, browne named 12 but playing at mid...[/quote]

Breen out of Clare game......
    According to clare fm he broke a bone in his foot.

Yeah, Liam Aherne said the same today, I thought it wasn't that serious an injury.

With that news, I don't think we have much option but to put Downes straight in. With no Breen or Dodge, we need to have someone with a bit of physicality and who can be a puckout target. Reidy is another option, but on what we've seen so far, Downes is a level above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Downes will be starting now regardless of fitness, as infuriating as breen is to me he's still a big loss.

That seems to be the consensus as to the team to be named. Gavin named at 6 but playing as a sweeper, Wayne named at 5 but playing at 6, Paudie named mid but playing at 5, browne named 12 but playing at mid...

I'd much rather Paudie in midfield than being back at half-back, with Jim-Bob as the most defensive as the midfielders. Paudie is probably the best score-taker of the three. Wayne is also better on the wing.

Yeah, Liam Aherne said the same today, I thought it wasn't that serious an injury.

With that news, I don't think we have much option but to put Downes straight in. With no Breen or Dodge, we need to have someone with a bit of physicality and who can be a puckout target. Reidy is another option, but on what we've seen so far, Downes is a level above.
    Downes will be starting now regardless of fitness, as infuriating as breen is to me he's still a big loss.
    I'd much rather Paudie in midfield than being back at half-back, with Jim-Bob as the most defensive as the midfielders. Paudie is probably the best score-taker of the three. Wayne is also better on the wing.

Agree, agree and agree!

Half-Time: Waterford 1-7 Limerick 0-7

Limerick got the last 3 scores of the half, last one a great score from Barry Murphy. Really upped the pace and intensity, it seemed, the likes of Seamus Flanagan, Barry Murphy and Kyle Hayes started getting involved after they had been very very quiet up until then. Waterford had been winning everything up until then and possibly should have been more than 6 ahead.

Darragh Carroll seems to be making an impact, as does Willie O'Meara and Peter Casey the most lively of the forwards but the trio mentioned above really need to stay involved and Brian Ryan too. In the backs, Conor Byrnes seemed to hurl an awful lot of ball, as did Conor McSweeney. Paddy O'Loughlin, Jack O'Grady and Conor Houlihan also seemed to be doing well.

Puck-outs a worry, their keeper seems to be having a stormer too. Molumby, Hogan, two Lyons' and O'Sullivan seem to be very prominent for Waterford. Hopefully we can come back in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Limerick dominant now 18 points to 1-9...into injury time

Peter Casey, Barry Murphy, Seamus Flanagan and Eoghan McNamara all having really strong games.

Great win in the end, seems that we played with a much higher intensity, a much better work rate, and a much smarter brand of hurling in the 2nd half. We took the points when they were available and Eoghan Mac slotted everything from distance whereas the Waterford goalkeeper missed a few similar frees and Prendergast missed a couple of handy ones.

Conor McSweeney sounded like he was a tower of strength at full-back, seemed to always be the one to come away with it. Conor Byrnes won a lot of ball in the half-back line too and Paddy O'Loughlin did well. In the 2nd half, Kyle Hayes started winning puckouts which no one had been winning, Seamus Flanagan and Brian Ryan also improved and Peter Casey was always lively.

But Darragh Carroll's work rate seemed to be vital, he was the sweeper and won a lot of the ball. Waterford had an extra man in the middle during the 1st half, but even then, he was one of our standout players. Even popped up with a great score.

So now we have Cork again, this time at home in the Gaelic Grounds. They beat us comfortably the last time but we should have been further ahead at half-time. We won't get away with only performing for one half, it will need to be a concerted effort, we know that Cork are very good. I think that in Shane Kingston, they have a marquee player that Waterford didn't really have- maybe their goalkeeper was their star man; Lyons & Molumby too but as a forward, they didn't have someone like Kingston. Limerick do have Flanagan, Murphy and Casey but they need to stand up and be counted, they should be the leaders of this team now. And I think the Cork backs are better equipped to hold our fellas than we are to hold theirs... we'll be asking a lot of Carroll, O'Loughlin and McSweeney again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

That's a good win for Daly, they can get momentum behind them now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement