Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Congrats to Limerick, ye deserved your win tonight. You are producing some very good minor teams of late, bodes well for the future, Hope ye get revenge against Cork next time out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Congratulations a fine minor win as caroll as I thought played sweeper and was brilliant with Murphy and hoinhan and o loughin and mackey will improve after game time tonight

All credit to daly he got the tactics spot on and huge game with cork
    I think cork can win but beating same team twice is a huge ask and more so for minors

Limerick will feel they have the motivation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Very good win last night after that horror second half in Cork. Championship format is daft, Clare have still yet to play, pure silly that one team each year gets no second chance. And Cork's reward for defeating Limerick; is a tie with Limerick, this time in Limerick. Not fair.

Round robin, like old 5 nations format would be the best, each team getting two home and two away games, top two into Munster final. Wouldn't be the worst idea for the Munster SHC too for that matter.

Very good win last night after that horror second half in Cork. Championship format is daft, Clare have still yet to play, pure silly that one team each year gets no second chance. And Cork's reward for defeating Limerick; is a tie with Limerick, this time in Limerick. Not fair.

Round robin, like old 5 nations format would be the best, each team getting two home and two away games, top two into Munster final. Wouldn't be the worst idea for the Munster SHC too for that matter.
    It's a fair question were limerick holding back the ist day

Based on the difference teams named it seems they were and nobody can blame if so

Cork hadn't beaten limerick in an age so had to win and I think we're not playing strongest team and expect three changes the next game
    I also expect limerick to start mackey
    Cork are probably favourites but very hard to beat the same team twice
    at any level not to mind minor
    Flangan has it all terrific player
    Loughin was good i think he's a better full back

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Absolutely agree on both those points, limerick have played two games and may have played 3 before Clare get a game in the championship, crazy stuff altogether...they'd have 2 rounds of a round robin down by now, with 3 left after the leaving, top two into the final, couldn't be simpler, forgot though that gaa admins are allergic to anything that isn't 'do or die' knockout and training 6 months for 1 game....have a feeling if limerick beat cork(very big if) they'd have to change it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Entertaining game in Thurles last night, despite showers and smallish crowd putting a bit of a damper on things, typical of neutral venue for a minor game I suppose. this was opposite of Limericks outing against Cork in that Limerick were slow starters on this occasion and Waterford roared into the game. Waterford playing in the same style as their seniors were on top all over the field. They were easily winning possession and immediately looking to find a team mate in a better position with a pass. I wasn’t counting but I’d say they set a new record for the number of hand passes made is the first half of any hurling game last night. And it was working for them. With 10 minutes to go to half time Waterford led 1 - 7 to 0 - 5. But from then on their accuracy let them down big time. Having not hit any wides for the first 20 minutes of the game they struck 6 in quick succession in the 10 minutes before h/t. Combined with an improved intensity from Limerick (they began to get a foothold in the middle of the field) in that crucial few minutes before h/t the Waterford lead was a very manageable 1—7 to 0 - 7 from a Limerick point of view. Conor Houlihan hit a load of ball and made his presence felt at 7. The Waterford goalie was heroic throughout game with great saves and really intelligent use of the ball under pressure
    Limericks improvement continued after the break and Waterford under pressure fell away completely, Darragh Lyons was the main man, wearing no 6, but playing primarily in midfield and Aaron O Suulivan another go to man, but Limerick started to dominate. Eoghan Mcnamara put over some terrific frees for Limerick and Waterford were scorless from 7/8 mins before half time to nearly 20 mins afterwards. They had a chance early in the second half to make it a 4 point lead but overplayed the ball. They didn’t score again until 9 minutes from the end and were to add only 3 points to their first half tally. IDuring that period all of the good hurling was coming from Limerick. Barry Murphy by his standards was quiet enough, and Flanagan certainly imposed himself although I thoought he held onto ball too long on a few occassions. Peter Casey was busy enough. Waterford didn’t help themselves by continuing to hit bad wides at crucial times ( a further 7 in the second half) including 3 very scoreable frees that would have kept them very much in the game. Waterford finished the game with 13 wides to Limericks 5.
    As Waterford were becoming increasingly desperate the gaps became wider at the back and Limerick picked off some good points to run out comfortable 5 point winners.
    So a mixture of the good with the bad but overall Limerick can be happy with a very decent performance. The manner of the victory will be a boost to their confidence in advance of a rematch with Cork. On paper I would think Cork have better forwards but as I said here before a game is never won on paper and Cork wont relish travelling to Limerick for rematch. Id have an interest in both camps but I think Cork need the win more than Limerick 1st July.

It's a fair question were limerick holding back the ist day

Based on the difference teams named it seems they were and nobody can blame if so

Cork hadn't beaten limerick in an age so had to win and I think we're not playing strongest team and expect three changes the next game
    I also expect limerick to start mackey
    Cork are probably favourites but very hard to beat the same team twice
    at any level not to mind minor
    Flangan has it all terrific player
    Loughin was good i think he's a better full back

so you reckon Cork holding back (again) in first game v Limerick - what changes do you envisage, where and why ?

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Absolutely agree on both those points, limerick have played two games and may have played 3 before Clare get a game in the championship, crazy stuff altogether...they'd have 2 rounds of a round robin down by now, with 3 left after the leaving, top two into the final, couldn't be simpler, forgot though that gaa admins are allergic to anything that isn't 'do or die' knockout and training 6 months for 1 game....have a feeling if limerick beat cork(very big if) they'd have to change it...

Great if it worked but complicated by an already frantic schedule - Harty / Corn Ui Mhuri + later stages, u/21 & in some cases college - and throw a few dual players into mix

Unfortunately I don't think it would work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

The only problem with a round robin system is that you'd end up with dead rubber games and teams easing off if they're already through to the final etc. hard to beat the intensity of knock out championship. I dont think they should change it, the back door is fine. As for it being unfair on Clare, or Cork or whoever, that's the luck of the draw. In the old days teams had only one bite of the cherry anyway

N20 wrote: »
    so you reckon Cork holding back (again) in first game v Limerick - what changes do you envisage, where and why ?

I think both were
    Limerick were way stronger last night and way better balance and caroll was outstanding as a sweeper
    The cork half back line will need changes as that limerick half forward line is very good with flangan and Ryan and mackey if he starts seriously good players
    I think both teams be changed and much stronger than the ist game
    Should be a great game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I do think it's a bad system currently but I definitely wouldn't like a round robin for the Munster SHC. It would definitely take away the bite from some of the games.

For minors, you could maybe justify it although these players are all playing minor, U-21 and senior/intermediate club as well as minor intercounty; you'd be saying 5 games at least to get out of the province presuming you have a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I do think it's a bad system currently but I definitely wouldn't like a round robin for the Munster SHC. It would definitely take away the bite from some of the games.

For minors, you could maybe justify it although these players are all playing minor, U-21 and senior/intermediate club as well as minor intercounty; you'd be saying 5 games at least to get out of the province presuming you have a final.
    By the same token if limerick beat cork and play in the final that is 4 games they have played, surely you can fit in another game, even in lieu of the challenge matches they played between the cork and waterford matches....all you are doing is getting all teams to play on the already established dates, for instance this year you'll have a first round in April, playoff in May, semis in July and final in July, so you could have 1st round robin April, 2nd round robin April(when all the challenges were played), 3rd in May, 4th in July, 5th july, move the final to standalone and play in august, no back door...could be done easily with proper scheduling...each team has a round off too...
    Not so sure of SHC but I think with no back door games will have plenty of bite, the trick is to try to keep all teams with something to play for, hard I know but the 5 nations matches became occasions in themselves, the triple crown is made up within the main competition but used to mean something...something along those lines....

The only problem with a round robin system is that you'd end up with dead rubber games and teams easing off if they're already through to the final etc. hard to beat the intensity of knock out championship. I dont think they should change it, the back door is fine. As for it being unfair on Clare, or Cork or whoever, that's the luck of the draw. In the old days teams had only one bite of the cherry anyway

I'd disagree that the backdoor works fine for the simple reason that there aren't enough teams to make it work properly, 5 teams is too few to make a logical and fair double knockout system. Double knockout just doesn't work unless you have an absolute minimum of 6 teams.

Ideal scenario would be to use the Senior hurling format, where teams defeated in provincial championships move to All-Ireland qualifiers containing at least 8 teams. I'd also move Galway and Antrim to Leinster.

I think both were
    Limerick were way stronger last night and way better balance and caroll was outstanding as a sweeper
    The cork half back line will need changes as that limerick half forward line is very good with flangan and Ryan and mackey if he starts seriously good players
    I think both teams be changed and much stronger than the ist game
    Should be a great game

I wouldn't agree teams were shadow Boxing Day 1 but I wouldnt rule out changes

I respect your opinion of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

N20 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree teams were shadow Boxing Day 1 but I wouldnt rule out changes

I respect your opinion of course

Indeed. That's crazy talk, either team could easily have lost to the losers of Tipp/Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

for me it was a great win and if we could beat cork that team will be hurling hopefully into August which can only be good,big ask to win v cork though wasn't at the cork game and from all accounts Kingston seems to be the man to watch and for me the other night I didn't see anyone outstanding that might be able for him

2nd round of the Football Championship on this weekend, except for Rathkeale against Pallasgreen which has been delayed until next weekend.

Group 1
    May 8, 7pm- Ballylanders vs Monaleen (Bruff)
    May 9, 7pm- Drom/Broadford vs St. Pat's (Askeaton)
    May 15, 7pm- St. Mary's/Sean Finn's vs Pallasgreen (Ballybrown)

Group 2
    May 8, 7.30pm- Adare vs Fr. Casey's (NCW)
    May 8, 7.30pm- NCW vs Na Piarsaigh (Ballyagran)
    May 9, 7.30pm- Ballysteen vs St. Kieran's (Bog Garden)

Ballylanders were shocked in the first round by Pallasgreen, they really need to beat Monaleen, who lost themselves. Be very close in that one, but if Ballylanders can't beat Pallasgreen, Monaleen would expect to beat them. Drom should beat Pats even though they hammered Rathkeale. They themselves will benefit from the week off, apparently they are missing a lot of players they might get back.

Can't see Adare beating Casey's, very hard to see NaP beating NCW and Ballysteen and St. Kieran's will be very close. Wouldn't like to bet on it but I think I might just tip Kieran's.

Predictions: Monaleen, Fr. Casey's, Newcastlewest, Drom/Broadford, St. Kieran's, St. Mary's/Sean Finn's

Was wrong about Ballylanders/Monaleen; Monaleen got a goal through Graeme O'Connell and were winning at half-time but it seemed that Ballylanders had a very strong 2nd half, Stephen Fox scored a penalty and they won by 3. Monaleen already in a spot of bother, may struggle to make the knockout stages now with Pats & Drom both in the group.

Other two games tonight went as expected with NCW & Casey's winning comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Heard there was a bit of hassle in the squad over a soccer match. Did Limerick pick a player who played a club soccer match 48 hrs before the Waterford match? Should be a cracker between Limerick And Cork in june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Smith614 wrote: »
    Heard there was a bit of hassle in the squad over a soccer match. Did Limerick pick a player who played a club soccer match 48 hrs before the Waterford match? Should be a cracker between Limerick And Cork in june.

Bit silly to be playing a soccer match two days before a Munster Championship match, and this is coming from someone who's more pro-soccer than GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Bit silly to be playing a soccer match two days before a Munster Championship match, and this is coming from someone who's more pro-soccer than GAA.
    It would have been worse if it was a football match. Then he would be off the panel. (-;:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Thomas Ryan played tonight in an A v B game in Hospital and impressed along with David Reidy according to Martin "Backpage" Kiely on the twitter machine.
    Has he been drafted in after breens injury?

pajoguy wrote: »
    Thomas Ryan played tonight in an A v B game in Hospital and impressed along with David Reidy according to Martin "Backpage" Kiely on the twitter machine.

He's brilliant and would be ideal to play a sweeper
    Should been included earlier
    Outstanding hurler with such pace poise guile and elegance and plays with huge intelligence in he's game

pajoguy wrote: »

Great to have Ryan back, his time away was never intended to be permanent so it's good to have him back in the picture so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Great news, made monday less dreadful. Was dempsey involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Great news, made monday less dreadful. Was dempsey involved?

Ryan was dropped with a view to bringing him back in if possible, Dempsey was plain dropped and is going to Boston for the summer and will be back for the business end of the club championship. TJ has given Ryan loads of chances and starts and clearly rates him, the opposite with Dempsey unfortunately.

I read about the match elsewhere, and while it sounded like Ryan did really really well, as you'd expect, no guarantee that he's back on the panel. He was on the '2nd team' and there were a good few other players on it that aren't near the panel.

I know TJ seems to like him a lot, so hopefully he is back. Would be a big boost. Apparently the match told very little though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I read about the match elsewhere, and while it sounded like Ryan did really really well, as you'd expect, no guarantee that he's back on the panel. He was on the '2nd team' and there were a good few other players on it that aren't near the panel.

I know TJ seems to like him a lot, so hopefully he is back. Would be a big boost. Apparently the match told very little though.

Ah you'd have to think he's come in from the cold if he was involved last night, especially with him playing well. Any chance of posting the B team fireball even if you do have to plunder it from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Was at the match last night. Looks like it might be Barry Hennessy in goal for the Clare game after playing on the A team last night. Big difference in skill levels between the two sides. John Fitzgibbon had an excellent game for the B team, very skillful. Downes and O'Grady looked very ring rusty.

Shane Dowling struggled in full forward but became much more involved when he wandered outfield. Cian Lynch had a few very good moments.

• Advertisement

Ah you'd have to think he's come in from the cold if he was involved last night, especially with him playing well. Any chance of posting the B team fireball even if you do have to plunder it from elsewhere.

This is what I read as the teams:
    "As"
    Hennessey
    Walsh Condon Hickey
    Wayne GOM S. O'Brien
    Jim-Bob Paudie
    Reidy Hannon Browne
    Mul Dowling Lynch

"Bs"
    Murphy
    O'Callaghan Morrissey King
    Allis Byrnes R. O'Donnell
    Fitzgibbon Ryan
    Downes Dodge T. O'Brien
    Griffin Morrissey A. Breen

Apparently the standard was not great at all and was a pointless enough game but it would seem to indicate that Hennessey is in pole position in goal, I really thought it would be Murphy. I also thought it was interesting that Seanie O'Brien got the nod ahead of Dan Morrissey (and Tom Ryan) at wing-back. I hope Ryan is back, but I'm not sure at all...

Reidy starting at wing-forward and apparently doing well, with Downes & Dodge starting for the Bs and looking rusty possibly makes him the favourite for Clare? Also interesting that they see Allis as a wing-back out-and-out, it would seem, I don't really rate him there, think he's better as a midfielder or half-forward and they could have played Ryan at wing-back, they could have played Tommy O'Brien in the corner and not had to call up Willie Griffin, Fitzgibbon could have played elsewhere... I just don't see him as being good enough as a Championship wing-back.

Encouraging that Hickey is likely to be fit at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement