Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

SFC results

Group 1
    May 8, 7pm- Ballylanders 1-11 Monaleen 1-08 (Bruff)
    May 9, 7pm- Drom/Broadford 1-08 St. Pat's 0-12 (Askeaton)

Group 2
    May 8, 7.30pm- Adare 0-05 Fr. Casey's 1-11 (NCW)
    May 8, 7.30pm- NCW 0-11 Na Piarsaigh 0-04 (Ballyagran)
    May 9, 7.30pm- Ballysteen 3-15 St. Kieran's 0-07 (Bog Garden)

Super win for Ballysteen! Absolutely wiped Kieran's out, possibly will see them into the knockout stages. It was so hard to call beforehand, both teams have been evenly matched in recent years but that is a huge victory. Big win for Pat's too, against Drom. Reached the final last year but to hold on to beat Drom is a fine victory to get and in what is a very tough group, they are already in a strong position. Monaleen's loss to Ballylanders is huge, hard to see them getting enough wins to qualify now. Others went as expected.

IFC

Group 1
    Hospital/Herbertstown 0-11 Mountcollins 2-20
    Bruff 0-12 Claughaun 1-09
    Castlemahon 1-11 St. Senan's 1-07

Group 2
    Athea 3-06 Cappamore 0-03
    Glin 1-11 Oola 1-11
    Galbally 1-7 Mungret 0-05

H/H have shipped two big beatings so far; bad loss for St. Senan's who have been knocking at the promotion door for a few years at this stage, would have expected them to beat Mountcollins. Still, they only have to make top 3 and they'll probably be there or thereabouts at the end of the year.

Cappamore have also been well-beaten twice, a total of 1-06 in two games is awful, admittedly against the two best sides (most likely)- Galbally and Athea. They play next time out at the start of June, will be an interesting clash; I think Galbally will go back up tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

11 days to go until we walk all over that lot! Can't wait...

Wexford cleaned Limerick out- forget about it.

Vanolder wrote: »
    Wexford cleaned Limerick out- forget about it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Seriously?

Hear wexford got a hiding from clare recently, so would not bode well so

edit: more nonsense so

• Advertisement

Seriously?

Hear wexford got a hiding from clare recently, so would not bode well so

edit: more nonsense so

Without knowing the teams, you don't know what to take from a challenge match.

wrote so 3 times in last post - shocking stuff

So, again plundering from elsewhere on the internet, the challenge match last night. Apparently, the official score from the referee was Wexford 2-22 Limerick 0-27 but there were no umpires and other people had Limerick winning by a point, or a draw. I imagine the score doesn't really matter tbh, it's all about performance. Apparently if the game had gone on for a bit longer, we would have won, we had upped the pace by a huge amount while Wexford were fading.

Worrying signs- we were apparently slow to start and were 2-10 to 0-8 behind at the break before we made a few subs. We did finish strongly and apparently looked a lot fitter than a few weeks ago. But again, no goals and no goal chances by all accounts. We'll need goals if we want to do anything this summer.

Starting team:
    Hennessy
    Walsh Richie Hickey
    Wayne Gavin Morrissey
    Paudie Jim-Bob
    Reidy Dodge Browne
    Tobin Dowling Lynch

Mulcahy & Hannon didn't feature, weren't togged; I hope to God they're okay. We'll need both, even with the reports in the papers today about Dillon & McGrath missing out for Clare. Hopefully it's just we don't want to risk them after a game only the other night. Interesting things in that Dan Morrissey started ahead of Condon on the wing, and Seanie O'Brien had started ahead of him the last day. I imagine Condon will start for Championship but it is interesting. Also that Dodge is back at centre-forward, looks like they are hoping that he'll be available, and Reidy ahead of Downes after a good performance the other day. It would also seem Hennessy will be in goal.

Tom Condon, Kevin Downes, Seanie O'Brien, John Fitzgibbon, Tommy O'Brien, Conor Allis, Cathal King and I think Tom Morrissey all came on. No Tom Ryan involved. Apparently made a good few subs and that did make a difference- Seanie O'Brien impressive, Downes looked a bit rusty but made an impression, Condon seemed to make an impact too.

Not sure how much you can read into it all, we were always chasing the game but it is good that we were able to up the pace at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

You would think we would get goals with the forwards we have. There is something wrong in our style or tactics when it comes to goals. Can't remember the last time I saw a Limerick forward beating down on goals with space in front of him

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

slegs wrote: »
    You would think we would get goals with the forwards we have. There is something wrong in our style or tactics when it comes to goals. Can't remember the last time I saw a Limerick forward beating down on goals with space in front of him

The Limerick forwards are supposed to have potential, but, goal scoring is a problem. Limerick have no forward like Shane O'Donnell, and if Conor McGrath will be playing..... Add Tony Kelly to the mix ....

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »

I think Graeme Mulcahy should be just told to go for it more often. Tobin is a finisher too, but he has to get the chances and our tactics don't really facilitate that as much. I think part of the problem is the half-forward line lacks players who take on defenders and beat them, creating overlaps. Breen is the only one who does it and his use of the ball can be poor, maybe if Downes starts there, he'll be the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I don't think goals would really be hugely significant actually as Clare arent really good at getting them either. That said they are definitly there as Clare leak goals due to not having backs with proper defensive abilities. Ye guys look like yere going to play 2 up top too which would make it a shootout from distance type game i think. Hannon v Ryan will be a big match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

letowski wrote: »
    I don't think goals would really be hugely significant actually as Clare arent really good at getting them either. That said they are definitly there as Clare leak goals due to not having backs with proper defensive abilities. Ye guys look like yere going to play 2 up top too which would make it a shootout from distance type game i think. Hannon v Ryan will be a big match up.
    That's fair points however clare while not goal merchants got five goals in the group stages division one isn't that bad yes hardly great but when you consider three goals were got v KK in two games imo it proves clare have one goal surely in them in the game while limerick you would remain doubtful goal wise

I'd wonder are these injury concerns with clare mind games from Davy as I expect both to be fit
    There's always doubts with players in clare games so I'll believe it when I see it
    Maybe they are injured just with Davy you never know.

Davy will I feel wait for it the start of next week say clare way off where they should be, feels limerick should beat KK and won the all Ireland and clare have a huge huge ask
    It's the usual mind games from Davy and I'd be surprised if he doesn't do it
    He'll say he believes he's clsre team and they have talent etc but off where he expects them to be
    Davy will be trying to down play he's team chances

letowski wrote: »

Surely the fact that neither team is great at getting them means they are more valuable? Whoever does manage to get them will have a big advantage.

Clare have never scored loads of goals under Davy bar the AI replay; but I think that does show that if it does go to a 15-on-15 game, Clare have serious forwards. But yeah, Wexford definitely got the run on your backs last year and there is a bit of a weakness there.

Limerick when they really focus on getting goals, can do it, but it tends to be against weaker backlines. 4 against Wexford in the league, 4 against Wexford last year but none against Kilkenny, none against Cork (who had O'Neill at full-back), only 1 in the Championship in 2013. I don't know what it is tbh. And while our full-back line is generally fairly solid, I think there's a weakness in our half-back line and if Clare can get a run on them, there's not much our full-back line can do about it.

If it does come to a shootout from distance, ye have Kelly obviously; Colin Ryan, Bobby Duggan, players like that can do damage if they get space; we have Paul Browne, Paudie O'Brien, Tom Condon to hopefully do similar. Thing is there isn't likely to be a lot of space around the middle- I'd say it will be quite congested if both teams are playing a 3rd midfielder, it's inside where the space will be and so may open up for goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Limerick haven't had a fully fit and in form Downes Dowling and Hannon hurling in the same forward unit yet. When they do I think they'll cause serious damage.

Limerick haven't had a fully fit and in form Downes Dowling and Hannon hurling in the same forward unit yet. When they do I think they'll cause serious damage.

I'd agree but one should keep in mind it's simply or never was a case of having forwards of outrageous talent, pick them in a team and let them just turn up.
    Limerick will have to have a coherent effective strategy of getting all these fabulous talents in to the game and like with any teams is a challenge in itself
    Give them that no doubt that will score, that's the easy part
    For the last five years cork have had an array of golden football forwards and even when they won the all Ireland some were never fully utilised to full efficency imo
    Certainly in championship last year colm and hurley weren't
    Cork minors showed it the other night despite have at least four top forwards cork never had a game plan that allowed them in to it while kerry on the other hand had one that counter attacked cork one by their blanket closing off any space or time for cork potent line.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

The balance of the Limerick forwards over the last few years has not been right imo:

2013 - you could argue that the gameplan was more one of containment, with a defensive half-forward line, Hannon (who is not a natural goalscorer) playing full-forward.

2014 - operating with O'Grady/Hannon at centre-forward, isolating players who will drive at defences like Breen & Downes on the wing or in the corner. Downes had a poor year and Mulcahy was used further out from goal, but we did generally lineup in a traditional 6 man forward line fashion, which restricts the space.

The hints so far that Browne will start at wing forward would suggest that we are going to drop him deeper and go with 5 men up front. This may well create space but you still need to feed effective ball in - Dowling at 14 would make hay under high-ball, especially given the frailties Clare have shown in this department. Mulcahy would thrive on low crossfield ball a la Geary/Foley feeding AOS in the 2007 semi vs Waterford. Playing GOM at 6 gives me hope that we are planning to improve our deliveries forward, more brains and more hurling at centre-back than Wayne. Tobin is our best poacher and I hope he starts, as with Breen out and Downes possibly not ready to start we are weakened at the moment on the goal-scoring front.

The balance of the Limerick forwards over the last few years has not been right imo:

2013 - you could argue that the gameplan was more one of containment, with a defensive half-forward line, Hannon (who is not a natural goalscorer) playing full-forward.

2014 - operating with O'Grady/Hannon at centre-forward, isolating players who will drive at defences like Breen & Downes on the wing or in the corner. Downes had a poor year and Mulcahy was used further out from goal, but we did generally lineup in a traditional 6 man forward line fashion, which restricts the space.

The hints so far that Browne will start at wing forward would suggest that we are going to drop him deeper and go with 5 men up front. This may well create space but you still need to feed effective ball in - Dowling at 14 would make hay under high-ball, especially given the frailties Clare have shown in this department. Mulcahy would thrive on low crossfield ball a la Geary/Foley feeding AOS in the 2007 semi vs Waterford. Playing GOM at 6 gives me hope that we are planning to improve our deliveries forward, more brains and more hurling at centre-back than Wayne. Tobin is our best poacher and I hope he starts, as with Breen out and Downes possibly not ready to start we are weakened at the moment on the goal-scoring front.

Good post. It will be interesting to see how we operate this year. Looks like it will be a 5 man forward unit.

As I said, our three most talented forwards (IMO) despite being around for while now have yet to hit form and fitness at the same time, this could be the year for that if Downes hits the form we know he is capable of later in the championship. Mulcahy in addition is lethal and those are four serious scoring forwards. I think we've yet to see what they can do when all on form.

At the moment it looks like Reidy will start ahead of Downes for the first game. Looks like the fifth forward will be Lynch, who has incredible vision and could knit things together, he's the type of player we've lacked until now. It's been frustrating last year especially seeing our half forwards waste good possession when it looked like our corner forwards had the beating of their men if we would have just let the ball in to them.

Looks like a new departure in the forward set up for the Clare game, hopefully we can finally unlock the goal scoring potential most limerick fans see in the players we have.

Of course, this could be a set up for the Clare game only and we could see a reversion to 6 forwards like last year for later rounds, especially when Downes, Breen and Dodge are fit and on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Fireball07 wrote:
    Surely the fact that neither team is great at getting them means they are more valuable? Whoever does manage to get them will have a big advantage.

I think you kinda answered my response with your post. Imo both teams have 2 very good goal finishers in Sod McGrath and Dowling Mulcahy, its just all about strategy. If we think both teams go defensively its hard for them to get goals on 2v3. Youre quiet right about about Wexford last year, that was horrid viewing in the first half for us, but when the sweeper was played in both games, things shored up.

How TJ sets Limerick up to deal with Kelly will be interesting i think. Theres a big change in dynamic the way Kelly is playing this year for Clare, he is making his runs and scores towards closer to goal this season, instead of coming short out the field. Im not sure congesting the midfield like Wexford did last year is still the way to go now, if LK want Browne as an extra midfielder. I think GOM as a sweeper looks better in stopping Sod and Kelly linking up and scoring circa 20-40m. We will see i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

For me if we want to score goals we need a fully fit Downes at 14 as I feel he is the traditional type swashbuckling 14 of old.I know he has to be fit and also he has been poor ish of late but give him the 14 jersey as I think that's where he;s more at home I remember in mun final of last yr ball after ball going in on dowling who in fairness is good in the air too but I felt at the time that had downes been there he would have made one of them count.

If all available for sunday week this is my 6 forwards,browne hannon dowling mul downes lynch.

There's word going around that Morrissey will be in instead of w mac I for one on what I have seen so far would not agree with this if its true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

lim4ev wrote: »
    There's word going around that Morrissey will be in instead of w mac I for one on what I have seen so far would not agree with this if its true.

Neither would I. For all the criticism Wayne gets, he has some engine on him and has covered other's blushes in the half-back line many a time over the last few years by tracking back and preventing the goal chance opening up. More importantly, he is far, far better at delivering the ball forward than Morrissey is atm.

Morrissey's time will come, but not yet.

Clare by 6.

Vanolder wrote: »
    Clare by 6.
    Your playing a blinder the last few weeks with the yerra stuff, rumours of trouble in the camp which there wasn't, challenge matches etc :-)
    For what it is worth I think it's very reasonable to expect clare to win but I sense some trying to play limerick as total underdogs in hoping that it worked the last two years with surprise wins v tipp it will happen again
    The difference is clare are very quiet going in under the radar very much and have a lot to prove
    I'd expect clare however limerick are always due one huge huge performance per year and clare record been poor in munster recently
    If limerick play a sweeper but not just that but actually play it effectively with a coherent strategy then there's no doubt they have the hurling
    If lynch is allowed roam and allowed grow in to the game he could be sensational
    While allowed roam it must be still however imo be a structured roaming role for lynch that he knows certain zonal aera to roam and stay within the parameter as if you tell young guy go out roam all over the ptich on senior debut v clare it could back fire as he needs still to be protected by structure and guidance that there's a controlled direction to he's play even in a roaming role
    He can play deep and be unprohibhted to a point but at the same time being told go everywhere and end up no where won't imo help this outstanding young talent who not just can make a pass but can see a pass ten seconds before many others can
    It's also important to know a player in he's role will make mistakes but you got to trust him he's instincts and tell him if fails you still belive him keep doing what he does as it will come good for him
    Lynch has it no doubt it's up to management and he's team to give him a platform Sunday week to grow in to game

As for Wayne mac he's passionate and commitment is a credit no doubt to limerick hurling in many ways but he's lack of crisp hurling lack of hurling finesse key moments and pace imo he needs be dropped
    If tj drops him he deserves huge credit and certainly imo would go up in my estimation he dropped him as it be a bold ruthless courageous call that shows evolution
    I'd drop him but wouldn't start Morrissey but start tom Ryan who has pace and speed of hurling mind and hurling legs imo.

the big question for me is was the performance v kilkenny down to the abiilty of limerick or was it down in some way to kk taking their eye a little off the ball in assuming they would eventually beat us in the end.I hope it was our ability and hope we can kick on from here.

Regarding the team i agree with ttm re lynch really think this guy has it all and hope he announces himself to the hurling world sunday week

Would prefer to see lynch off the bench myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Nice intermediate panel for the opener on Sunday week in Thurles

LIMERICK PANEL: Brian Murray (Patrickswell, David McCarthy (Glenroe, Cathal McNamara (Doon), Denis Moloney (Doon), Mike Fitzgerald (Doon), Richard English (Doon), Darragh O’Donovan (Doon), Mark Carmody (Patrickswell), Kevin O’Brien (Patrickswell), Diarmuid Byrnes (Patrickswell), Andrew Brennan (Caherline), Gary Murphy (Caherline), Brendan Hourigan (Caherline), William Hickey (South Liberties), David O’Neill (South Liberties), Shane O’Neill (South Liberties), Barry Lynch (Feohanagh-Castlemahon), Mike Fitzgibbon (Feohanagh-Castlemahon), Robert O’Donnell (Pallasgreen), Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen), Colin Madden (Bruff), Sean Finn (Bruff), Barry O’Connell (Kildimo-Pallaskenry), John Ryan (Cappamore), Mike Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca), Willie Griffin (Adare), Mikey Ryan (Murroe-Boher), Mike Casey (Na Piarsaigh), Kieran Larkin (Croom), Tommy Quaid (Effin), Paudie Leahy (Blackrock).

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

I'd rather we play 3 in midfield than play 7 backs.
    7 backs would hand the initiative to Clare.

Every time this Clare side have won they have led from the off, gives them confidence and allows their system to be imprinted on game.
    When they lost Cork & Wexford last year - but got off to flying starts, got the goals at the right time and won.

If we start straight off with 7 backs we're on a hiding to nothing. We don't have the scoring power to match Clare I think with 5 forwards. The need is to impose our game on theirs and beat them. We're more physical than they are, fitness shouldn't be an issue - seasoned players. I hope it's a wet day, we can use all the help we can get but at the moment I think Clare will win comfortably.

My XV would be:
    Murphy - long range frees could be needed, huge belt of a ball.
    Walsh, McCarthy, Hickey
    Condon, Wayne, Gavin
    Ryan, Browne
    Hannon, Downes, O'Grady/Lynch/Reidy
    Dowling, Mulcahy, Tobin

As much as I don't like Wayne at 6, there is no proven alternative. I don't think Gavin would be strong enough to man the centre - I've visions of AI final 2013 when Clare ran straight down the middle for those goals.

I've also thought that Fitz may throw Conlon in at full forward if McGrath ain't fit, hopefully it's something management have thought about, he done havoc against Wexford in the replay last year placed there.

I think we're in a bad place at the moment, I don't expect us to beat Tipp in the following round. And we'll be in same round of qualifiers even if we do win.

Could need to be more flexible than just playing an extra mid or extra back. Clare will certainly be more flexible than that. Which team dictates the first quarter and forces the other to adjust and react will have a bearing on the game. O'Donnell had a massive impact against kk playing one on one inside, while Richie was in serious trouble against shutte in a similar position. I'm sure limerick will set up not to leave themselves exposed to that again. I think Gavin would be perfect for playing between the full and half back lines which is what some are expecting, excellent all round hurler and very intelligent on the ball, great place to start distribution. If we can use the ball well our forwards can definitely get on top of the Clare backs.

St. Mary's/Sean Finn's beat Pallasgreen in the delayed football match, seemed to have a lot of their big guns back and won 2-11 to 0-11. Kevin Barry scored 0-10 from frees for Pallasgreen, relying too much on that it would seem.

• Advertisement

francozola wrote: »
    I'd rather we play 3 in midfield than play 7 backs.
    7 backs would hand the initiative to Clare.

Every time this Clare side have won they have led from the off, gives them confidence and allows their system to be imprinted on game.
    When they lost Cork & Wexford last year - but got off to flying starts, got the goals at the right time and won.

If we start straight off with 7 backs we're on a hiding to nothing. We don't have the scoring power to match Clare I think with 5 forwards. The need is to impose our game on theirs and beat them. We're more physical than they are, fitness shouldn't be an issue - seasoned players. I hope it's a wet day, we can use all the help we can get but at the moment I think Clare will win comfortably.

My XV would be:
    Murphy - long range frees could be needed, huge belt of a ball.
    Walsh, McCarthy, Hickey
    Condon, Wayne, Gavin
    Ryan, Browne
    Hannon, Downes, O'Grady/Lynch/Reidy
    Dowling, Mulcahy, Tobin

As much as I don't like Wayne at 6, there is no proven alternative. I don't think Gavin would be strong enough to man the centre - I've visions of AI final 2013 when Clare ran straight down the middle for those goals.

I've also thought that Fitz may throw Conlon in at full forward if McGrath ain't fit, hopefully it's something management have thought about, he done havoc against Wexford in the replay last year placed there.

I think we're in a bad place at the moment, I don't expect us to beat Tipp in the following round. And we'll be in same round of qualifiers even if we do win.

If clare are to beat us comfortably surely we don't have to worry bout tipp?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement