Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Anytime i saw richie exposed twas the half backlines fault more or less not richies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

One week to go, like the last two years I for one will head to our first game in hope rather than expectation, there's nothing in either teams form that points to either team but I guess that's one saving grace of the long gap between league and championship, when teams haven't played for 7 weeks you can't really read too much into form as the long gap takes the sting out of any momentum be that good or bad.

Which is better for us than them, they may have gotten relegated but we were shocking against Dublin (who they beat a few weeks previously) while they twice kept Kilkenny to within a point in Nolan Park in two very competitive games.

Subsequent challenge games are somewhat encouraging in terms of signs that we're formulating some kind of an alternative game plan but I really wish they had done this in the league, the league really wasn't used that well, a few guys got a good amount of game time but the only new thing we tried tactically has been abandoned as it failed miserably against Waterford and Laois.

If neither team makes a convincing case with their form then you look at things like potential. And unfortunately I believe they have more potential to do damage to us than we do to them. Both teams have a point to prove, them more so than us, they have had a difficult 12 months, and plenty of questions have been asked. He'll claim he doesn't care what anyone thinks but despite that he seems to know what everyone thinks, Davy will have them right up for this. I hope I'm wrong but I just find it hard to come up with a compelling argument as to how and why were will win this, hopefully it will be a good competitive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

One week to go, like the last two years I for one will head to our first game in hope rather than expectation, there's nothing in either teams form that points to either team but I guess that's one saving grace of the long gap between league and championship, when teams haven't played for 7 weeks you can't really read too much into form as the long gap takes the sting out of any momentum be that good or bad.

Which is better for us than them, they may have gotten relegated but we were shocking against Dublin (who they beat a few weeks previously) while they twice kept Kilkenny to within a point in Nolan Park in two very competitive games.

Subsequent challenge games are somewhat encouraging in terms of signs that we're formulating some kind of an alternative game plan but I really wish they had done this in the league, the league really wasn't used that well, a few guys got a good amount of game time but the only new thing we tried tactically has been abandoned as it failed miserably against Waterford and Laois.

If neither team makes a convincing case with their form then you look at things like potential. And unfortunately I believe they have more potential to do damage to us than we do to them. Both teams have a point to prove, them more so than us, they have had a difficult 12 months, and plenty of questions have been asked. He'll claim he doesn't care what anyone thinks but despite that he seems to know what everyone thinks, Davy will have them right up for this. I hope I'm wrong but I just find it hard to come up with a compelling argument as to how and why were will win this, hopefully it will be a good competitive game.

I have a certain amount of expectations, simply because I don't think we were any worse in the league this year than we were last year, with the Galway performance of last year being one of the worst tactical displays, with players way off the pace that I have ever seen from Limerick. We've bounced back 2 years in a row, I think we will again... fitness-wise, we looked off against Dublin, I think we'll be fine for Championship.

Clare did run Kilkenny close but it was a weakened Kilkenny team, Paul Murphy was given the runaround at full-back, twice. The best thinng for Clare is that it was closer to Championship intensity than anything Limerick have played. But yeah, the league was a big pile of **** for us. A few players did get a run, but the main style & positional changes came after which seems pointless. I don't really blame them for losing to Offaly, with 14 men; but the performance against Dublin wasn't good enough, Richie Mc got destroyed. I expect he'll be better and he'll need to be.

If we can bring Championship intensity as we have in the last few years, and TJ can continue from last year in facilitating our best players to play their own game, hopefully we'll have enough. Clare have a lot of players missing and they still have major issues throughout their team- what puckout targets do they have outside of Conlon? We don't have the strongest aerial half-back line but we know that Conlon is pretty much it. Who will they have in midfield? With Galvin gone, anyone they put there is not going to be as good as Ryan/Browne. Their backline tends to foul a lot and if we can isolate Mulcahy or Dowling one-on-one with any of them, they could cause havoc.

Obviously, they do hold a threat, a huge threat. Tony Kelly has unbelievable talent, I'd say he's pretty much unmarkable but I'd say Browne will give it a go... what you need to do is just shut off his space as much as possible. Shane O'Donnell had a great league, we have to give Richie protection; we could see Walsh picking up SOD with Richie being the sweeper, but then Richie will have to protect both. Conor McGrath, if fit, has the potential to destroy any team and we may struggle to win puckouts against Ryan/O'Connor/Donnellan/Browne/whoever.

But I think we have good reason to be confident tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

As i posted previously Limerick did some very heavy training during the league. Fitness and physical side of things wont be an issue.
    Its all about cutting off the supply to their inside forwarsds. Maybe gavin will be a roaming type sweeper covering the deliveries. He has a good read of the game. He might be named centre forward and drop back with one of our inside men coming out and playing two man full forward line.
    I presume downes is way off the lace to start.
    I hate to say it but dodge is not up to it anymore id say. Great servant and would be fitting for him ro lift LIAM but unlikely to happen.

Roll on sunday.

lim4ev wrote: »
    Anytime i saw richie exposed twas the half backlines fault more or less not richies

Ah now, it was definitely his fault against Dublin. He was given the runaround in a one-on-one duel which he normally flourishes in. I presume he'll be fine though, always has been before.

pajoguy wrote: »
    As i posted previously Limerick did some very heavy training during the league. Fitness and physical side of things wont be an issue.
    Its all about cutting off the supply to their inside forwarsds. Maybe gavin will be a roaming type sweeper covering the deliveries. He has a good read of the game. He might be named centre forward and drop back with one of our inside men coming out and playing two man full forward line.
    I presume downes is way off the lace to start.
    I hate to say it but dodge is not up to it anymore id say. Great servant and would be fitting for him ro lift LIAM but unlikely to happen.

Roll on sunday.

Looking at the team from that Wexford challenge game, it would seem that there's a fairly strong chance that Dodge will start. Downes probably not sharp enough yet, but maybe if he goes well in training this week.

• Advertisement

Colemania wrote: »
    Nice intermediate panel for the opener on Sunday week in Thurles

LIMERICK PANEL: Brian Murray (Patrickswell, David McCarthy (Glenroe, Cathal McNamara (Doon), Denis Moloney (Doon), Mike Fitzgerald (Doon), Richard English (Doon), Darragh O’Donovan (Doon), Mark Carmody (Patrickswell), Kevin O’Brien (Patrickswell), Diarmuid Byrnes (Patrickswell), Andrew Brennan (Caherline), Gary Murphy (Caherline), Brendan Hourigan (Caherline), William Hickey (South Liberties), David O’Neill (South Liberties), Shane O’Neill (South Liberties), Barry Lynch (Feohanagh-Castlemahon), Mike Fitzgibbon (Feohanagh-Castlemahon), Robert O’Donnell (Pallasgreen), Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen), Colin Madden (Bruff), Sean Finn (Bruff), Barry O’Connell (Kildimo-Pallaskenry), John Ryan (Cappamore), Mike Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca), Willie Griffin (Adare), Mikey Ryan (Murroe-Boher), Mike Casey (Na Piarsaigh), Kieran Larkin (Croom), Tommy Quaid (Effin), Paudie Leahy (Blackrock).

Anyone want to have a go at picking a potential team from that? Looks very strong. Hard to know if precedence will be given to those who are likely to be involved with the 21s or whether everyone will be chosen on their merits.

Maybe:
    Murray
    O'Neill English Carmody
    Byrnes Brennan McNamara
    O'Donovan O'Connell
    Fitzgerald Madden C. Ryan
    Finn O'Brien Griffin

But to be honest, I have no idea. John Ryan, Mike Reidy, Brendan Hourigan, David O'Neill, Mikey Ryan all started last year; while Paudie Leahy did brilliantly from the bench... there are more of the younger contingent involved this year, like Carmody, O'Brien, O'Connell, Byrnes, Ryan, Finn, Casey, etc- I'd probably include them tbh, more benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ah now, it was definitely his fault against Dublin. He was given the runaround in a one-on-one duel which he normally flourishes in. I presume he'll be fine though, always has been before.

I will say that it did not help that Dan Morrissey was dragged way out the field that day by his marker, leaving absolutely acres of space in front of Schutte & McCarthy. McCarthy won't beat most forwards in a foot-race, we are only codding ourselves if we believe that, so we cannot allow chasms of space to open up between the full and half back lines.

I will say that it did not help that Dan Morrissey was dragged way out the field that day by his marker, leaving absolutely acres of space in front of Schutte & McCarthy. McCarthy won't beat most forwards in a foot-race, we are only codding ourselves if we believe that, so we cannot allow chasms of space to open up between the full and half back lines.

That is true, I really think we need our half-back line to drop pretty deep; they're only get exposed if there's a lot of space in behind them and then our full-back line will be in trouble. It's a risk because Clare do have players capable of taking scores from distance but I'd have more faith in Browne/Ryan shutting them down than our half-back line catching up with runners who have broken past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

He's great over the first 5 or 10 which is what a full back needs. Against Dublin though he was left one v one in acres of space -only going to be one winner no matter who the back is in that scenario. We won't all that to happen v Clare. We need to cut the space between the full and half back lines which is what Clare thrive on, either putting balls into that space or having runners tearing into it. That said, Richie in championship will also be a different animal, as will the limerick team in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

That was the point I was trying to make originally and I think if you let that amount of space in front of any full back he would be exposed.I doubted r mac up until the Tipp match in thurles last yr but remember v cork in mun final when he went down praying for him to get up.outside of the odd thing here and there since then I've seen nothing to change my view and hope it continues on sunday.

I must say in all my time following Limerick I don't think I have ever travelled to an opening round match really not knowing what to expect as much as this time I don't think it would be an unreasonable thought to say we could win or lose this one by 6 pts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Thing about Limerick though is that ye have a very seasoned team now. If Lynch doesnt start yere going to be sending out a team with at least 4 years experience or more. Ye have consistently performed to a high standard now for a good few years while Clare havent had a good performance in munster in yonks. These Limerick lads know where the bar is and how to get themselves right for the first round. Clare and i dont think Davy do, his teams have consistently been slow starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

letowski wrote: »
    . These Limerick lads know where the bar is .

Ah lads I hope we are not back to the bad old days!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Limerick town end for Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

http://www.the42.ie/aaron-murphy-mother-tweet-limerick-hurling-2111110-May2015/
    Hennessy is a good keeper so imo it always would be a tough choice between the two keepers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Father was asking are the tickets cheaper from centra or supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

bigpink wrote: »
    Father was asking are the tickets cheaper from centra or supervalu

the same id say

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

http://www.the42.ie/aaron-murphy-mother-tweet-limerick-hurling-2111110-May2015/
    Hennessy is a good keeper so imo it always would be a tough choice between the two keepers

Jesus, I don't think young Aaron is going to be happy with mammy after that! and TJ will hardly be impressed with her either, basically leaking some of the team before the official announcement!
    She should stay off the twitter machine I think, and let him fight his own battles...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Jesus, I don't think young Aaron is going to be happy with mammy after that! and TJ will hardly be impressed with her either, basically leaking some of the team before the official announcement!
    She should stay off the twitter machine I think, and let him fight his own battles...
    I'd have to agree
    It's in the independent also so it made the news
    I don't particularly rate management in certain areas but I'd have to say in this scenario it's a call that could go either way in nothing to separate the keepers and hennessy had a fine club season so either keeper getting in strong claims imo so it's hard to fault Ryan in this case
    I feel for Murphy as it's put him in a difficult position as he could well be asked how he leaked team before Thursday when it's not he's fault at all really
    At the same time I understand the mother defending her son fair enough but she is hardly doing him any favours the week before the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I do think its rough as guts that he's been dropped, Barry Hennessey was far from flawless in the kilmallock games and think Murphy deserved a chance tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Stay off Twitter lads, and above all keep the mammies off it. Asking for trouble. :D

• Advertisement

I do think its rough as guts that he's been dropped, Barry Hennessey was far from flawless in the kilmallock games and think Murphy deserved a chance tbh.

He did make an awful mistake v cratole but he's outstanding all seasons for kilmallock generally making great saves

Murphy is outstanding keeper too and when Davy rated him lit so highly it's a good sign
    This was a tough call imo
    Cork have the same scenario with Collins and Mccarthy vying for the number two spot
    For and against both so little between them

There's other calls imo aren't as close to call but likely hood is team will not change too much

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Thats some joke...... what was she thinking. Murphy must be mortified. He will never live it down. Also the management cant be happy about leaks like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Limerick leader reckon Seanie O'Brien will start half back on Sunday. Massive game for him if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

I honestly believe ye underperformed completely in the league.
    IMO versus Clare if those Clare forwards get space they will do Serious damage. Limerick backs cant follow their men to far outfield. Limerick need to have either 3 midfielders or sweeper system.

I think Limerick have key target men such as Lynch Dowling possibly Downes to play a 4 or 5 up front system. My money is on Limerick, think it will be won or lost on the line. Ye have the players to win it.

I don't think there's much between Murphy & Hennessy, both are good players; I would have picked Murphy myself, he's been around the panel as the main backup for a few years and the length on his puckouts is amazing. But Hennessy is also very solid.

But his mother complaining on twitter? That's not good, must be embarrassing for him and for the team in general. Silly by her, no matter how she feels.

HillFarmer wrote: »
    I honestly believe ye underperformed completely in the league.
    IMO versus Clare if those Clare forwards get space they will do Serious damage. Limerick backs cant follow their men to far outfield. Limerick need to have either 3 midfielders or sweeper system.

I think Limerick have key target men such as Lynch Dowling possibly Downes to play a 4 or 5 up front system. My money is on Limerick, think it will be won or lost on the line. Ye have the players to win it.

That's the key point clare forwards will score huge scores and if you look at the under twenty one last year, five goals v tipp, high scores v cork and wexford, go back to senior in 2013 high scores v cork both finals, v Laois, wexford and limerick there consistently high scoring

Last year they still got beaten by cork but got around two eighteen or so and also v wexford another high score
    In the league bar one game they have always scored above twenty point average
    In two games v kilkenny even allowing for kilkenny missing a few the fact the week after they scored a lot in knowlan park shows they can score well averageing over twenty points or so
    Cody is a master mind but the fact clare the week after still caused he's defence problems showed how lethal they are even with out Collins
    If Collins and galvin were playing limerick would be beaten before the ball was thrown in
    Without those they have a chance but such is clare depth there still in a good place

Clare don't defend well at times but limerick aren't renowned for goals normally and if this becomes a shoot out clare will win
    Limerick have to make this a war of attrition a dog fight close game
    A wet day would suit limerick more as it will take the pace and tempo and fluidity out of clare game that they thrive on

Limerick defence is being talked up as very good when despite wonderful full back and outstanding corner backs the problems were there for all to see last year at half back

Against tipp kilkenny and cork two goals in all of the three game were conceded so six goals in total shows huge defence problem they have from half back and if mcnamra and o mahony start in the same unit you would have concerns as not much has changed then
    Wexford got a goal also against limerick so seven goals in four games conceded shows limerick are not defensive as strong as their made out to be

Full back line is outstanding but they get little protection at half back
    Limerick have to find balance staying deep to protect them from clare runners but also not staying two deep as clare will pick off scores from distance if not marked

This game will I agree be won and lost by the sideline in who ever picks the right team but game flow management is going to be crucial in there will be times for both teams during the game that requires changes or systematic adaption to alter the game flow and who ever does this will ultimately win the game
    The team selection Thursday will give us an indication of limerick chances
    If limerick make bold radical selection and not a conservative predictable one they have absolutely the players to win

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I don't think there's much between Murphy & Hennessy, both are good players; I would have picked Murphy myself, he's been around the panel as the main backup for a few years and the length on his puckouts is amazing. But Hennessy is also very solid.

But his mother complaining on twitter? That's not good, must be embarrassing for him and for the team in general. Silly by her, no matter how she feels.

What do you think she meant by being what club you are from and about ones surname?

cnoc wrote: »
    What do you think she meant by being what club you are from and about ones surname?

Hard to know for sure. Obviously Kilmallock are a much bigger profile club than Hospital/Herbertstown and Barry Hennessy's father was a good player too (before my time, not sure if he actually played for Limerick).

Obviously I'm not privy to however TJ selects the team but I really doubt he'd select Barry Hennessy just because he's from Kilmallock. It doesn't benefit TJ in any way (unless you're going on some sort of supposition that he only got the job if he picked a certain number of Kilmallock players, which is madness) and I'm sure there are other players who he could have included if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

Limerick town end for Sunday?
    No Town end is for Clare. It says it on Munster GAA site

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I'll be disappointed if Murphy doesn't get the nod, he was only given just one start in the nine league and WCC games while Hennessy was unavailable due to club duty, he's been there for about four years now and hasn't put a foot wrong when given a chance, and he has a serious puck out on him. I think he's earned his chance, and to pick Hennessey ahead of him now would be a disappointment for him, and I'd understand if he decided ' enough is enough' and walked away from the panel. Hennessey must be turning heads behind closed doors in the training sessions because from what I've seen of him he's not conclusively better than Murphy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement