Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I'll be disappointed if Murphy doesn't get the nod, he was only given just one start in the nine league and WCC games while Hennessy was unavailable due to club duty, he's been there for about four years now and hasn't put a foot wrong when given a chance, and he has a serious puck out on him. I think he's earned his chance, and to pick Hennessey ahead of him now would be a disappointment for him, and I'd understand if he decided ' enough is enough' and walked away from the panel. Hennessey must be turning heads behind closed doors in the training sessions because from what I've seen of him he's not conclusively better than Murphy.

Has played in a few big games this year, maybe that experience is what swung it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hard to know for sure. Obviously Kilmallock are a much bigger profile club than Hospital/Herbertstown and Barry Hennessy's father was a good player too (before my time, not sure if he actually played for Limerick).

Obviously I'm not privy to however TJ selects the team but I really doubt he'd select Barry Hennessy just because he's from Kilmallock. It doesn't benefit TJ in any way (unless you're going on some sort of supposition that he only got the job if he picked a certain number of Kilmallock players, which is madness) and I'm sure there are other players who he could have included if that was the case.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake here but it just dawned on me; she must have been referring to Nicky Quaid with her "correct surname" jibe, while the "certain club" is obviously related to Hennessy. I can see why she might have been unhappy that Quaid got the nod in 2011 when at that point he had played most (all?) of his hurling outfield, but he has been excellent since and is a worthy first choice keeper. Either way, she hasn't done her son any favours with her tweeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TreatyGuy

Im hearing that seanie o brien will start at wing back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

TreatyGuy wrote: »
    Im hearing that seanie o brien will start at wing back

Gavin Condon and o brien so?!!

Surely not mcnamra and Condon loose out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I'm a bit slow on the uptake here but it just dawned on me; she must have been referring to Nicky Quaid with her "correct surname" jibe, while the "certain club" is obviously related to Hennessy. I can see why she might have been unhappy that Quaid got the nod in 2011 when at that point he had played most (all?) of his hurling outfield, but he has been excellent since and is a worthy first choice keeper. Either way, she hasn't done her son any favours with her tweeting.

Can understand the frustration alright.

For sunday would like to see Murphy start - wont happen

Dont want to see POB falling back into orthodox half back if we do play a sweeper

Want to see tomas ryan on bench - looks unlikely

Would leave lynch on bench but looks like he will start

If SOB does start want to see wayne coming off the bench and morrissey at FF also

As the week progresses there's a bit more room for optimism, 3 areas that worried me, tactics, selection and fitness look like they will be addressed. Selection of SOB indicates its not a foregone conclusion and the same old 15 wont be selected.

Small bits of info ive heard from challenges suggest we will be prepared for clare playing a sweeper, hopefully half back selections mean we will give good ball into full forward line

Fitness can only have improved, our bench should be more than capable of making a positive impact this year. Roll on sunday, hopefully a good game and not overly tactical.

• Advertisement

Can understand the frustration alright.

For sunday would like to see Murphy start - wont happen

Dont want to see POB falling back into orthodox half back if we do play a sweeper

Want to see tomas ryan on bench - looks unlikely

Would leave lynch on bench but looks like he will start

If SOB does start want to see wayne coming off the bench and morrissey at FF also

As the week progresses there's a bit more room for optimism, 3 areas that worried me, tactics, selection and fitness look like they will be addressed. Selection of SOB indicates its not a foregone conclusion and the same old 15 wont be selected.

Small bits of info ive heard from challenges suggest we will be prepared for clare playing a sweeper, hopefully half back selections mean we will give good ball into full forward line

Fitness can only have improved, our bench should be more than capable of making a positive impact this year. Roll on sunday, hopefully a good game and not overly tactical.
    If Condon starts with o mahonry o brien huge huge imo postive for limerick and shows ruthless bold streak out of management that alluded them last year and they deserve immense credit if so

If mahony and mcnamra then only one change in that line means nothing has really changed
    Condon and o brien bring huge pace to that line and while id prefer tom Ryan to start o brien is better than mcnamra pace wise

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

O'Brien would add serious pace alright to the selection, he's a very useful player in that he can do a number of jobs across the field. O'Brien, GOM, Condon would be a lot pacier than last year's half-back line, as many have said Tom Ryan would boost it even further. Although I would say it is wrong to say McNamara is slow, slow in his hurling maybe, but is well able to cover ground. If SOB does start wing back it will be interesting to see how he does aerially - wouldn't be the strongest half-back line under the high ball by any means but against this Clare side that won't be as important.

Wayne rumoured to be injured the reason for O'Brien to start. Interesting that O'Brien has overtaken King in the pecking order, similar type players, O'Briend going well in training apparently.

O'Brien would add serious pace alright to the selection, he's a very useful player in that he can do a number of jobs across the field. O'Brien, GOM, Condon would be a lot pacier than last year's half-back line, as many have said Tom Ryan would boost it even further. Although I would say it is wrong to say McNamara is slow, slow in his hurling maybe, but is well able to cover ground. If SOB does start wing back it will be interesting to see how he does aerially - wouldn't be the strongest half-back line under the high ball by any means but against this Clare side that won't be as important.
    I'd agree and if so that's show for the ist time under Ryan management a horses for courses selection and that he must if it happens be applauded for as conceded seven goals four games last year was not down to any problems in the excellent full back line or keeper but a half back line that as a unit was poor
    Making two changes to it shows progress and lesson were learned

The next test is game plan then of course to be consistent team selection and adaptable but if that team starts that half back line and lynch starts ahead tobin imo it's bold brave selection that Ryan and co deserve immense credit for
    I can't wait for the team announcement now

Wayne rumoured to be injured the reason for O'Brien to start. Interesting that O'Brien has overtaken King in the pecking order, similar type players, O'Briend going well in training apparently.

Well whether it's by default or not bottom line is ye have real chance with that line Sunday
    That's a pacey mobile unit and clare won't challenge them ball winning wise
    There's real real pace there
    Very postive signs
    Worry is if breen and mcnamra were fit would started however now hand was forced if they have have game plan suits the team then maybe these two lads start other games that are needed for

Great interview with lynch in the examiner today

• Advertisement

Well whether it's by default or not bottom line is ye have real chance with that line Sunday
    That's a pacey mobile unit and clare won't challenge them ball winning wise
    There's real real pace there
    Very postive signs
    Worry is if breen and mcnamra were fit would started however now hand was forced if they have have game plan suits the team then maybe these two lads start other games that are needed for

Great interview with lynch in the examiner today

Ball winning wise Clare will challenge them. Conlon v Condon will be a big battle and if Bobby Duggan starts the other wing then whichever O'Brien plays that wing will have their hands full. Both Clare men will have a height advantage over their markers.

Ball winning wise Clare will challenge them. Conlon v Condon will be a big battle and if Bobby Duggan starts the other wing then whichever O'Brien plays that wing will have their hands full. Both Clare men will have a height advantage over their markers.
    Valid but I still think clare aren't as league proved fully sorted ball winning wise
    The movement and pace clare have up front was the danger but counter pace you need pace

That limerick half back line is mobile and o mahony should win he's aerial ball but the breaking ball Condon o brien and Browne limerick have players to break even

This game is so evenly matched who ever wins poession has a huge advantage
    Limerick on that side have picked a team that can play a running game poession game and makes them unpredictable
    If I was Ryan I'd name tobin but start lynch Sunday
    Tobin on he's day is good but equally prone to a bad day
    Lynch is made for the big day

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

I think its fair to say Conlon will win his fair share of aerial ball no matter whos marking him.Immense player for Clare,

Still backing Limerick, think ye'll pull through. Limerick by 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

If Condon starts with o mahonry o brien huge huge imo postive for limerick and shows ruthless bold streak out of management that alluded them last year and they deserve immense credit if so

If mahony and mcnamra then only one change in that line means nothing has really changed
    Condon and o brien bring huge pace to that line and while id prefer tom Ryan to start o brien is better than mcnamra pace wise

Totally agree this shows to me management saw a problem and worked on a solution if and from what I hear its going to happen sob starts i'll be thrilled even though I have time for w mac and he is a good man to have on the line.

Forget about Tom Ryan its not going to happen i'm told

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Obviously, SOB is being tipped to start by a lot of people, but I had heard that he was neck-in-neck with Dan Morrissey, who was in pole position after the league.

King and Allis never really impressed on the wing early in the season, while SOB as a sub did do very well. He is very quick, and he's a nice hurler; I still reckon he'd be better off in midfield and is well able to take a score but he's been trusted as a back. Does he have the discipline to be an intercounty wing-back; he's not particularly tall and how will he be defensively against the best?

Wayne apparently has been doing poorly enough in the challenge matches and has picked up an injury too. Maybe SOB would have leapfrogged him anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Limerick's half back line is a shambles - We are effectively 6 points down already due to it..

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Anyone want to have a go at picking a potential team from that? Looks very strong. Hard to know if precedence will be given to those who are likely to be involved with the 21s or whether everyone will be chosen on their merits.

Maybe:
    Murray
    O'Neill English Carmody
    Byrnes Brennan McNamara
    O'Donovan O'Connell
    Fitzgerald Madden C. Ryan
    Finn O'Brien Griffin

But to be honest, I have no idea. John Ryan, Mike Reidy, Brendan Hourigan, David O'Neill, Mikey Ryan all started last year; while Paudie Leahy did brilliantly from the bench... there are more of the younger contingent involved this year, like Carmody, O'Brien, O'Connell, Byrnes, Ryan, Finn, Casey, etc- I'd probably include them tbh, more benefit.

The actual team was named yesterday:
    Murray
    Finn O'Connell Reidy
    Moloney Byrnes Lynch
    O'Donnell Brennan
    O'Brien Hickey Carmody
    Griffin Fitzgibbon M. Ryan

Bench- McCarthy, Quaid, McNamara, Fitzgerald, J. Ryan, English, O'Donovan, C. Ryan, Murphy

I only got 8 of the starters right, which was pretty poor guessing, with a good few in the wrong positions. I did think that Barry Lynch had the possibility of starting, fine player, but only a few of the U-21 players are starting. Bit surprised Barry O'Connell is named at full-back, think he's better in a freer role and English is probably the obvious person to groom as the next senior full-back.

Carmody at wing-forward, he is a very versatile player. Sean Finn at corner-back rather than corner-forward, he is a free-scoring player but also a tenacious man-marker. Maybe O'Brien & Fitzgibbon will switch, it would be mad not to have someone of O'Brien's goalscoring prowess not on the edge of the square, while Fitzgibbon is an excellent ballwinner.

Bit surprised that Colin Ryan is involved at all but not starting, rate him very highly. Same with Darragh O'Donovan.

But it does look like a good team, half-back line in particular looks very strong with Cathal Mc and English as options on the bench for that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TreatyGuy

O Brien will get the nod over wayne whos been playing very poorly recently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Vanolder wrote: »
    Limerick's half back line is a shambles - We are effectively 6 points down already due to it..

If we lose on Sunday, it won't be at the fault of our half back line. It'll be for not taking our chances. Seanie has been the most impressive of all the non starters and has earned his place. Morrissey may have the height but he hasn't impressed at all. As I said before, seanie knows a lot of the Clare lads and plays the way Clare play. It'll suit him down to the ground. Up against Cork or Kilkenny would be a massive challenge for him but I do feel he won't let us down on Sunday if he starts or even comes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Colemania wrote: »
    If we lose on Sunday, it won't be at the fault of our half back line. It'll be for not taking our chances. Seanie has been the most impressive of all the non starters and has earned his place. Morrissey may have the height but he hasn't impressed at all. As I said before, seanie knows a lot of the Clare lads and plays the way Clare play. It'll suit him down to the ground. Up against Cork or Kilkenny would be a massive challenge for him but I do feel he won't let us down on Sunday if he starts or even comes on

Limerick are ravaged with injuries - 3 starters out and 2 (Downes, Dodge) not fully fit. It is a massive, massive ask to beat any inter-county team with those injuries, let alone this young outstanding Clare team.

• Advertisement

I'd totally agree from lit time he's used possession game and we won't be facing harnedy or tj Reid this weekend but a different type by player altogether

Never a forward but absolutely a fine defender for game limerick will hopefully play
    Injury to breen and Wayne worked imo yere favour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Limerick are ravaged with injuries - 3 starters out and 2 (Downes, Dodge) not fully fit. It is a massive, massive ask to beat any inter-county team with those injuries, let alone this young outstanding Clare team.

Outstanding? Ah come off it now

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RollOnD13th

Outstanding ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Vanolder has been playing the play down card for weeks. Surprised ye haven't noticed.

If our half-back line isn't our weakest line on the day, I think we'll win. Our forwards are fine, bar a lack of goals. The half-back line has been an issue for a while and while Condon should strengthen that up a bit, GOM at centre-back is a bit of a risk, as is SOB. If they do well, we should have enough.

Football team for Saturday night named:

1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffin’s)
    2. Sean O’Dea (Kilteely/Dromkeen)
    3. Johnny McCarthy (St.Kieran’s)
    4. Robert Browne (Fr. Casey’s)
    5. Iain Corbett (Newcastlewest)
    6. Cillian Fahy (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    7. Stephen Cahill (Mountcollins)
    8. Thomas Lee (Ballylanders)
    9. Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick’s)
    10. John Riordan (Fr. Casey’s)
    11. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen)
    12. Darragh Tracey (St. Kieran’s)
    13. Peter Nash (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)
    14. Seanie Buckley (Captain) (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    15. Ian Ryan (St. Senan’s)

Quite a decent team, I reckon we have a good chance after beating them in the league. Obviously we have to go to Cusack Park now but I still give us a chance, we improved during the league imo.

Delighted to see my clubmate Peter Nash get his Munster Championship debut, he scored three serious goals during the league, let's hope he gets another at the weekend.

Will rely on the likes of McCarthy, Hegarty, Buckley and Ryan to provide quality and leadership, spur the others on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

slegs wrote: »
    Vanolder has been playing the play down card for weeks. Surprised ye haven't noticed.

Pretty sure its spanned two years now.

Have a strong feeling ye'll win Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Sheflin tipping Clare in the Irish Times.. .shur what does he know.....hon Limerick....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RollOnD13th

Aye great to see a Kilcornan man playing for the County!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Who would you play?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement