Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

We are going to murder these banjo playing, tin whistle loving hill billies come Sunday... Limerick by 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Vanolder wrote: »
    We are going to murder these banjo playing, tin whistle loving hill billies come Sunday... Limerick by 8!

When is the last time Limerick won any game by 8? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

When is the last time Limerick won any game by 8? :eek:

Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well, we beat Antrim by 8 in the league but Wexford in the Championship. A lot more than 8 it was too.

Last time we won a Munster Championship game by 8+ was the Munster final in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Well, we beat Antrim by 8 in the league but Wexford in the Championship. A lot more than 8 it was too.

Last time we won a Munster Championship game by 8+ was the Munster final in 2013.
    But that like wexford imo as two semi finals after proved limerick were never that good in cork down a man scorching heat for full half hurling
    What's significant is for full hour just two between them before cork tired and limerick bench won the day

Team announced pretty soon it will tell a lot about Sunday

If Condon o brien start and lynch huge huge chance

• Advertisement

Wexford.
    I'd be cautious using that game imo
    A tired wexford four games on the trot in a month so as proven games after not a real barometer as limerick were as good as wexford game wouldn't be poor games after

But that like wexford imo as two semi finals after proved limerick were never that good in cork down a man scorching heat for full half hurling
    What's significant is for full hour just two between them before cork tired and limerick bench won the day

Team announced pretty soon it will tell a lot about Sunday

If Condon o brien start and lynch huge huge chance

Still think we would have won that day, our bench was much stronger than Cork on the day who resorted to the likes of Cussen. Would never have won by 9 obviously, but at home, with the likes of Dowling, Downes & Moran in reserve; weren't going to lose.

Condon is 100% going to start, one of the first names on the teamsheet. Lynch will start too, everything points to it. I'm fairly sure Seanie will start but that would be an actual big call... he would have leapfrogged a few players.

I don't think we'll actually beat Clare by 8, it's going to be close. I picked 1-5 in the poll and I do think we'll do it.

Still think we would have won that day, our bench was much stronger than Cork on the day who resorted to the likes of Cussen. Would never have won by 9 obviously, but at home, with the likes of Dowling, Downes & Moran in reserve; weren't going to lose.

Condon is 100% going to start, one of the first names on the teamsheet. Lynch will start too, everything points to it. I'm fairly sure Seanie will start but that would be an actual big call... he would have leapfrogged a few players.

I don't think we'll actually beat Clare by 8, it's going to be close. I picked 1-5 in the poll and I do think we'll do it.

A brave bold selection that has to be admired if it happens and really postive for limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Getting the selection right is an important step but will mean nothing if we don't get the tactical set up right, encouraging signs in challenge games that something is being done but I just wish they did this during the league. I'm not confident but at the same time I still feel it's very much there for the taking.

I'm not overly concerned if we lose because we'd have a good six weeks to take stock and set about making whatever changes need to be made before the qualifiers begin.

I'm mainly concerned now in seeing what changes TJ makes in terms of how the team is set up and can he be a bit more ruthless when it comes to selection/substitutions. He's had the legitimate excuse of relative inexperience at this level for the last year but that doesn't really wash anymore; he's had sole charge for 13 months now, plenty of time to put his stamp on it and plenty of time to learn. I believe he is the right man, and I desperately hope not to be proven wrong in the coming weeks.

Getting the selection right is an important step but will mean nothing if we don't get the tactical set up right, encouraging signs in challenge games that something is being done but I just wish they did this during the league. I'm not confident but at the same time I still feel it's very much there for the taking.

I'm not overly concerned if we lose because we'd have a good six weeks to take stock and set about making whatever changes need to be made before the qualifiers begin.

I'm mainly concerned now in seeing what changes TJ makes in terms of how the team is set up and can he be a bit more ruthless when it comes to selection/substitutions. He's had the legitimate excuse of relative inexperience at this level for the last year but that doesn't really wash anymore; he's had sole charge for 13 months now, plenty of time to put his stamp on it and plenty of time to learn. I believe he is the right man, and I desperately hope not to be proven wrong in the coming weeks.
    A brilliant brilliant post
    I said this all week myself picking lads is the ist step but not having a coherent effective plan with full utilisation of its strength and durability of team to negate weak ness is absolutely crucial Sunday and I also believe that as o said before there's going to be a crucial turning point in the game management have to react by changing the system or dynamic of play or making key subs during the game so like a jig saw was never built on one pieces all the pieces have to join together for limerick to win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Wexford.

Yer second last championship game, and your mans alleged second favourite team allegedly. Yell beat Clare anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Very sceptical about it, all the evidence points to this Clare generation being superior to ours. But hope springs eternal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Team announced

1. Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock), 2. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe), 3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), 4. Seamus Hickey (Murroe Boher), 5. Seanie O Brien (Patrickswell), 6. Gavin O Mahony (Kilmallock), 7. Tom Condon (Knockaderry), 8. James Ryan (Garryspillane), 9. Paudie O Brien (Kilmallock), 10. Donal O Grady (Granagh Ballingarry)(Captain), 11. Declan Hannon (Adare), 12. Paul Browne (Bruff), 13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock), 14. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh) 15. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell).

slegs wrote: »
    Team announced

1. Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock), 2. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe), 3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), 4. Seamus Hickey (Murroe Boher), 5. Seanie O Brien (Patrickswell), 6. Gavin O Mahony (Kilmallock), 7. Tom Condon (Knockaderry), 8. James Ryan (Garryspillane), 9. Paudie O Brien (Kilmallock), 10. Donal O Grady (Granagh Ballingarry)(Captain), 11. Declan Hannon (Adare), 12. Paul Browne (Bruff), 13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock), 14. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh) 15. Cian Lynch (Patrickswell).
    Ist part done brilliant brilliant team imo
    I'd have tom Ryan at seven but still better than mac
    Injury actually strengthen ye imo
    Ye have a real real chance if tactics compliment the team
    I rarely if ever under Ryan terms felt confidence team selection as many know but credit due I'm confident that team

Expected team, and quite a good one.

But as Hanalei says, the tactics are arguably more important. But that team would seem to be set up to play a certain way, a way we didn't play during the league this year and a way that could lead to an improvement from last year.

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/three-newcomers-in-limerick-hurling-team-to-play-clare-in-munster-shc-1-6758155
    I think there's nothing between hennessy and Murphy and it's close call
    It's evident to see why margie questioned selection as mentioned on surname limerick in hennessy father was sub twenty one years ago
    The one worry slightly is margie was right that hennessy be keeper so fact team was known in advance and leaked our two days before announcement worry you have is the circle trust now broken and Murphy sub keeper Sunday

If this happenes like clare weeks ago it had time to heal but fact broke week match very interesting how it is sorted as if limerick loose this story will gather momentum is the likelihood

What she basically said was politics are at fore limerick hurling and while imo goal keeper issues was tough call I did raise issue before that certain lads were being picked
    Lynch and course o brien great calls but it's valid to say would Wayne mac breen fully fit started as all changes have been enforced through injury mainly and while it work to advantage Sunday it imo still give me unconvincing view limerick really changed but style play set up to sweep but must be possession orientated game
    If limerick win or loose tactics huge part and imo have to win in light tweet and clare weak team limerick loose no guarantee two players coming back strenghten limerick to any real degree so this is must must win and while it's for Davy is so he probably due injuries has bit immunity imo

We won't know til Sunday has the circle of trust within limerick been affected by Tuesday news
    Circle of trust is vital within any team or group and it's easily broken but not as easy to fix
    It takes time as time heals all but limerick don't have that time this week

Limerick have not a sports phycologist but a guy motivation skills helping this group and tj said after a game he wasn't at liberty to say more which is fair enough
    He'll earn he's cord now this week to rebind the circle of trust

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/three-newcomers-in-limerick-hurling-team-to-play-clare-in-munster-shc-1-6758155
    I think there's nothing between hennessy and Murphy and it's close call
    It's evident to see why margie questioned selection as mentioned on surname limerick in hennessy father was sub twenty one years ago
    The one worry slightly is margie was right that hennessy be keeper so fact team was known in advance and leaked our two days before announcement worry you have is the circle trust now broken and Murphy sub keeper Sunday

If this happenes like clare weeks ago it had time to heal but fact broke week match very interesting how it is sorted as if limerick loose this story will gather momentum is the likelihood

What she basically said was politics are at fore limerick hurling and while imo goal keeper issues was tough call I did raise issue before that certain lads were being picked
    Lynch and course o brien great calls but it's valid to say would Wayne mac breen fully fit started as all changes have been enforced through injury mainly and while it work to advantage Sunday it imo still give me unconvincing view limerick really changed but style play set up to sweep but must be possession orientated game
    If limerick win or loose tactics huge part and imo have to win in light tweet and clare weak team limerick loose no guarantee two players coming back strenghten limerick to any real degree so this is must must win and while it's for Davy is so he probably due injuries has bit immunity imo

We won't know til Sunday has the circle of trust within limerick been affected by Tuesday news
    Circle of trust is vital within any team or group and it's easily broken but not as easy to fix
    It takes time as time heals all but limerick don't have that time this week

Limerick have not a sports phycologist but a guy motivation skills helping this group and tj said after a game he wasn't at liberty to say more which is fair enough
    He'll earn he's cord now this week to rebind the circle of trust

Players are told the team the weekend before, stop trying to make an issue out of nothing...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Players are told the team the weekend before, stop trying to make an issue out of nothing...

I'm not trying to make an issue at all
    This story broke Tuesday I didn't break the story
    I'm asking a valid question that's all
    You're fast enough to discuss Davy incidents in clare thread but when limerick we cant discuss such incidents
    I asked a reasonable question that I ask any team same scenario will this affect the build up in any great way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I'm not trying to make an issue at all
    This story broke Tuesday I didn't break the story
    I'm asking a valid question that's all
    You're fast enough to discuss Davy incidents in clare thread but when limerick we cant discuss such incidents
    I asked a reasonable question that I ask any team same scenario will this affect the build up in any great way

I dont think some fella telling his mother at the dinner table that he isnt starting sunday constitutes a break of trust. who we selected in goals wasnt keeping davy awake at night.

I dont think some fella telling his mother at the dinner table that he isnt starting sunday constitutes a break of trust. who we selected in goals wasnt keeping davy awake at night.
    I don't think that's the question at all and I agree with you as players knew weekend
    It's the fact team was with keeper position announced public Tuesday by tweet and team wasn't named officially til Thursday and it's the fact that there was concerns over politics in selection being said
    And the circle of trust obviously will come in to question
    It may be all fine but if they loose Sunday it's not unreasonable to say in some quarters story won't gather momentum
    Even few posters here said on Tuesday that it wasn't ideal that news break publicly in who start as keeper when it's obvious the management didn't want that or of they did wouldn't waited till last night to announce the team publicly
    I don't think and agree totally Davy isn't bothered with this at all as he's no reason to be it's the circle of trust within limerick group is the concern now from this story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Hannon is 33/1 for HOTY. If he can recreate his form of the latter half of last season and maintain it...

Hannon is 33/1 for HOTY. If he can recreate his form of the latter half of last season and maintain it...

What's cian lynch for young hurler of the year please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

I'd sooner have Richie McCarthy at 50/1 than Hannon. Shane O'Donnell at 40/1 is also a tempting one. However I'm not sure I'd bet on either side to make it all the way to September at this point.

Cian Lynch 12/1 for YHOTY

I'd sooner have Richie McCarthy at 50/1 than Hannon. Shane O'Donnell at 40/1 is also a tempting one. However I'm not sure I'd bet on either side to make it all the way to September at this point.

Cian Lynch 12/1 for YHOTY

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

So Conor Mcgrath is 13-2 first goal scorer sunday. Paddy power must be in the know!
    Lycnh a good bet at 10-1 but i suppose he will be more in the half forward line if we play two man inside.

pajoguy wrote: »
    So Conor Mcgrath is 13-2 first goal scorer sunday. Paddy power must be in the know!
    Lycnh a good bet at 10-1 but i suppose he will be more in the half forward line if we play two man inside.

Paddy never change their FGS odds if a player is expected to be out.

Lynch for YHOTY is a good bet imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Paddy never change their FGS odds if a player is expected to be out.

Lynch for YHOTY is a good bet imo.
    save your money and go for Tadhg Bourke ;)

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    save your money and go for Tadhg Bourke ;)

Well yeah, he'd be the favourite in my eyes. Lynch's odds are a lot better though and I have to believe we'll get to the final so he'll have the chance to showcase his abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Well yeah, he'd be the favourite in my eyes. Lynch's odds are a lot better though and I have to believe we'll get to the final so he'll have the chance to showcase his abilities.
    I'm only messing with ya, I'm tempted to go for Cian Lynch also, the lad has broke my heart at the last two munster minor finals. Top class player ye have. But...what's he at in that video on youtube "i am hurling"...haha

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I'm only messing with ya, I'm tempted to go for Cian Lynch also, the lad has broke my heart at the last two munster minor finals. Top class player ye have. But...what's he at in that video on youtube "i am hurling"...haha

I'm sure if I was a Waterford man, I'd have my money on De Burca or Gleeson; I think De Burca is top class.

As for the video, we'll let him off he's only young :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement