Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    save your money and go for Tadhg Bourke ;)

Agree. Lynch has another year to qualify for YHOTY anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I'm only messing with ya, I'm tempted to go for Cian Lynch also, the lad has broke my heart at the last two munster minor finals. Top class player ye have. But...what's he at in that video on youtube "i am hurling"...haha

It was a national competition from a few years ago would you cop on to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

It was a national competition from a few years ago would you cop on to yourself.

He's only having a bit banter with the ha ha to be fair
    Surely you can see that
    We all know your a huge lynch fan and this time your actually correct in your assement but he wasn't in anyway saying he's bad player in fact he praised him hugely be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Stupidly optimistic for weekend, based on mentions of a game plan I haven't seen and that has been trialled in 1 and 1/2 games. Also the introduction of SOB a fella I cant recall seeing play before. Logic out the window on this one but thats championship. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It is a big enough jump for Seanie O'Brien to be fair; had a fine year in 2011 for the U-21s and was involved in the panel for 2012 but think he was cut from the panel for 2013 & last year. Had a good Fitzgibbon this year but I was still surprised to see him in there as a back ahead of the likes of Richie English, Alan Dempsey, his own clubmate Mark Carmody, etc- all who had been ahead of him in previous years.

His pace & versatility make him a good option, let's see how he gets on against a top team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Stupidly optimistic for weekend, based on mentions of a game plan I haven't seen and that has been trialled in 1 and 1/2 games. Also the introduction of SOB a fella I cant recall seeing play before. Logic out the window on this one but thats championship. Love it.

ye have every right to be optimistic , clare have won one game in nearly 8 years in munster , bad league campaign surrounded by controversy , we are notorously slow starters at this time of year ,feed back from our challenge games have been hit an miss and when i compare ye'r midfield to whats been tried out for us dose'nt spark confidence either i genuinely would be surprised if we won sunday , i cant imagine limerick been any where near as bad as they were against dublin
    i expect the argument that ye are a far stronger championship team then league team will stand up

I give us a decent chance tomorrow in the football too, it's unlikely to be double scores as it was in the league but that will have been encouraging for us. The loss of Paudie Browne is big but although Gary Brennan is back for Clare, he mightn't be fully fit and Gearoid Hegarty is an absolute beast. With Tom Lee, Darragh Tracey and Seanie Buckley likely to be helping out too; hopefully we can assert dominance in midfield.

I'm just not 100% sure where we're going to get all our scores from, even having one of the lads who opted out this year would be big. But apparently Clare have similar problems, so it's likely to be a war of attrition. Goals may decide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

I dont think some fella telling his mother at the dinner table that he isnt starting sunday constitutes a break of trust. who we selected in goals wasnt keeping davy awake at night.

Good piece by Brendan Cummins. And a sensible perspective on the mammygate kerfuffle:  ‘It’s time for Clare to deliver again, 2014 was a write-off’ http://the42.ie/2117888 via The42.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I give us a decent chance tomorrow in the football too, it's unlikely to be double scores as it was in the league but that will have been encouraging for us. The loss of Paudie Browne is big but although Gary Brennan is back for Clare, he mightn't be fully fit and Gearoid Hegarty is an absolute beast. With Tom Lee, Darragh Tracey and Seanie Buckley likely to be helping out too; hopefully we can assert dominance in midfield.

I'm just not 100% sure where we're going to get all our scores from, even having one of the lads who opted out this year would be big. But apparently Clare have similar problems, so it's likely to be a war of attrition. Goals may decide it.

I think we're building as well as we can considering. We have a few decent prospects coming up from the league aswell, and Nash has proved a real find. Hopefully he can open his championship account just as easily tonight!

The lads who opted out, I reckon only maybe the likes of Lavin would be worth holding onto for his experience and quality of play, and Eoghan O'Connor for his pace and scoring threat. The loss of Galvin was obviously huge, but I think losing Ger Collins has been a blessing as he was seriously out of form the last few years. Here's hoping he can come back next year with the shooting boots.

I think we're building as well as we can considering. We have a few decent prospects coming up from the league aswell, and Nash has proved a real find. Hopefully he can open his championship account just as easily tonight!

The lads who opted out, I reckon only maybe the likes of Lavin would be worth holding onto for his experience and quality of play, and Eoghan O'Connor for his pace and scoring threat. The loss of Galvin was obviously huge, but I think losing Ger Collins has been a blessing as he was seriously out of form the last few years. Here's hoping he can come back next year with the shooting boots.

Bobby O'Brien as a bolster up front, Eoin Hanrahan for another scoring threat, same with Seamus O'Carroll... think O'Carroll was involved with the junior footballers?

It is hard to justify the commitment when you've got little chance of winning, I suppose.

• Advertisement

9 to 4 down at the break, in a spot of bother in Cusack Park. Clare have hit a lot of wides too; we seem to be very slow in building our attacks and Clare are moving everything quickly.

Have the wind in the second half but will need a much better performance too. We can definitely do it, but Tom Lee has had to be replaced, not winning a lot of possession. Gary Brennan doing serious damage.

We've only got a single point from play which says it all really, think Clare have got all theirs from play. It's a manageable gap but we'll probably need a goal.

John Galvin on the radio, showing why he was such a great player for us. Being very critical of some of the bigger names, asking why someone isn't just grabbing control of the game, running at the team, winning the kickouts, etc.

He sounds like he's equally inspirational in the dressing-room too, sounds angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Five or six points on the bounce. Only 1 in it now Clare 12 Limerick 11

Very disappointing. Left ourselves too much to do after an awful first half; although we were by far the better team in the second half, every time we closed the gap, Clare tagged on a score. Maybe went for goals when we should have gone for points?

A brave, battling display but playing for only 35 minutes isn't enough in the Championship. Disappointing to lose, intense stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

John Galvin on the radio, showing why he was such a great player for us. Being very critical of some of the bigger names, asking why someone isn't just grabbing control of the game, running at the team, winning the kickouts, etc.

He sounds like he's equally inspirational in the dressing-room too, sounds angry.

When i heard him say those words i thought if only he had the gear in the boot. Get this man involved at under age in some capacity. Inspirational in his day.

pajoguy wrote: »
    When i heard him say those words i thought if only he had the gear in the boot. Get this man involved at under age in some capacity. Inspirational in his day.

I think he might be actually?

The only problem with someone like that involved is that he had the ability to do that, many of the players on the pitch today, didn't. He was the type of player who could rise above all opponents, take a kickout, fcuk a few fellas out of the way, run the pitch and take a score. In terms of physical attributes and skill, he had both in spades, other players may not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I think he might be actually?

The only problem with someone like that involved is that he had the ability to do that, many of the players on the pitch today, didn't. He was the type of player who could rise above all opponents, take a kickout, fcuk a few fellas out of the way, run the pitch and take a score. In terms of physical attributes and skill, he had both in spades, other players may not have.

Yeah I suppose he was a bit of a freak in Limerick football. Maybe John Quane in his day too. He did as you described above to score very first point from the throw in in 2010 in killarney. Same day he slapped ball from kerry midfielder scanlon i think and ran in 40/50 yards nearly took the net of the goals.
    Great servant.
    Pitt about result tonight.
    Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Any word on Clare team. Probably in hiding!

pajoguy wrote: »
    Yeah I suppose he was a bit of a freak in Limerick football. Maybe John Quane in his day too. He did as you described above to score very first point from the throw in in 2010 in killarney. Same day he slapped ball from kerry midfielder scanlon i think and ran in 40/50 yards nearly took the net of the goals.
    Great servant.
    Pitt about result tonight.
    Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Any word on Clare team. Probably in hiding!

We did have some real warriors, obviously lead by Galvin, but Johnny Mac, Lavin, Lucey, O'Riordan, Browne, Jim-Bob, Buckley, Ranahan, Kelly etc.- some of them still persevering but the legs are getting tired. Hegarty is the closest to Galvin now, I think- super footballer. But we'll hope for a good run in the qualifiers.

Word from a leaked team during the week seems to say that McGrath is definitely out, Dillon & Ryan will play.
    Kelly
    O'Donovan McInerney Dillon
    O'Connor
    Browne Ryan Donnellan
    Gudgie Ryan
    Golden Kelly Conlon
    Reidy O'Donnell

Golden is a midfielder but people seem to reckon he'll line out on the wing with Colin Ryan playing midfield. The reverse would seem to make more sense to me, and it may happen. O'Connor is nailed on to be sweeper if they do employ one. I'd be shocked if they went 15-on-15. They may even just leave one man inside, they did it a few times in the league; in that case I imagine Kelly would drift as he normally does and Reidy would play as a roving playmaker around the half-forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Very disappointing. Left ourselves too much to do after an awful first half; although we were by far the better team in the second half, every time we closed the gap, Clare tagged on a score. Maybe went for goals when we should have gone for points?

A brave, battling display but playing for only 35 minutes isn't enough in the Championship. Disappointing to lose, intense stuff.

Were you not at it?? Very proud of the second half display, just lacked that little bit of composure. Left everything they had on the field, which is all anyone can ask for.

to be honest i was far more optimistic about the football then the hurling , i think our midfield is very weak today and the fact that shane golden is once again selected ahead of bobby duggen has angered a lot here in the county i was expecting to hear a stronger line up then what has been named from our side of things

good to see a big crowed last night for the footballers i didnt expect it , thre was hardly 500 for th leage game in newcastle west think it was'nt too far off 5000 last night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

The championship is back!!

Have a safe trip to Thurles folks; LUIMNEACH ABÚ!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

If we took the finger out in the first half, we would have won it by a few points. We slowed down everything, while Clare were all about pace and urgency. Despite the low scoring, we hit very few wides in the first half. We showed well in the second half, but it seemed all too little too late. Saying that, we had an opportunity to equalise when Darragh Treacy was taken out from behind as he was shooting just on the 21. No free, Clare work it up the field to score a point. A crucial call that could have made all the difference, but there you go.

There is major surgery that needs to be done to that team, with a few places up for grabs. I'm very sorry, as I greatly respect the lads who tog out for us, but there were a few there last night who are living off their previous reputations. A couple of the lads starting just are not good enough for senior inter county. I thought Treacy, Lee and Ranahan (an outstanding servant, but the clock has run out) were very poor, and Hegarty wasn't too far behind if truth be told.

On the plus side, Nash kicked a few lovely points and looks to be a great find. Hugely impressed with Stephen Cahill who was outstanding I thought. Rob Browne was also excellent and got a great score in the first few minutes. Seanie Buckley was horrendous in the first half, but came into it when he was brought to midfield and his leadership was needed. Scanlon also kicked some frees that were out of this world.

The next day, we need Neville, Sheehan and maybe Moore starting. Pace and urgency rather than laborious and ultimately poor decision making is what is required now, which was very evident last night. I don't see why we can't get 2-3 games out of the qualifiers if we start adopting this.

We have some of the tools to improve, let's just hope that management sees this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Looking forward to Thurles, I'm not optimistic though. Clare by 3+

Good piece by Brendan Cummins. And a sensible perspective on the mammygate kerfuffle:  ‘It’s time for Clare to deliver again, 2014 was a write-off’ http://the42.ie/2117888 via The42.ie

Agreed totally a wonderful piece

There's a great part where he says clare players under no pressure to support Davy and they made their own mind and that supports my view o connell galvin Ryan o donnell all support and praised Davy management and it's expected with great management

I think he was correct with the Murphy incident but I do feel if they loose it could raise questions down the line
    Win and it's forgotten

Limerick imo have been around since the last three years and having lost league play off to Dublin two awful results to offaly the past two years a awful result to clare two years ago a defeat to kk a munster final win clouded by beating fourteen men for full half hurling and limerick normally not winning in croke park and a management team still unproven with concerns still about imo limerick have to win today and I dont belive a performance is good in loose limerick loosing to a severely depleted clare team where limerick injured players there's argument wouldn't strenghten limerick style for today anyway bar quaid limerick can't imo loose today

Clare are under huge pressure but having won seniors and dominated at under age a performance they with a full team can regroup as two years ago proved

Limerick are not underdogs either so huge pressure in can they win a game their expected to win

I think this is very very hard to call but credit Ryan picking the excellent team and while id like to know if breen and mac were fit would he picked the same team still credit due for this team
    He done the ist part right

Now he has to prove he can play a short game and do tactics
    Win and it's huge boost to limerick with home game v tipp and while bigger tests remain like croke park and going further than comfort zone munster today is the ist step

Clare are very weakened by injury so I expect limerick to win but if it's close then I'd be wary clare down the line who while Davy under pressure fact lot out gives him a bit immunity

Limerick have play a varied smart concise game that is short but also mixes long game and have to support guide nourish lynch and if he's slow get in game don't take him off give him fifty minutes as he needs time and can't make him puck out option regularly but he must roam in a zonal defined zone where he picks up breaking ball and uses he's elegance and guile and creativity to score or bring mulchay dowling and hannon in to the game

He could be the conductor of the orchestra but he still needs a back up chorus group with lyrics suit he's skills so game plan must suit lynch talents

Limerick to win
    I'm happy with the team but I'm not fully convinced this set up can do tactics and haven't seen them in the league so I remain slightly worried but I'm willing to say today is the day based on team named they will get it right
    Limerick to win and on paper should win the intermediate but I'm not fully convinced that management having lost game they should won v tipp last year but should win

Limerick football while lost done well last night as clare were always favourites in ennis but brudair is a good coach I rate highly

If we took the finger out in the first half, we would have won it by a few points. We slowed down everything, while Clare were all about pace and urgency. Despite the low scoring, we hit very few wides in the first half. We showed well in the second half, but it seemed all too little too late. Saying that, we had an opportunity to equalise when Darragh Treacy was taken out from behind as he was shooting just on the 21. No free, Clare work it up the field to score a point. A crucial call that could have made all the difference, but there you go.

There is major surgery that needs to be done to that team, with a few places up for grabs. I'm very sorry, as I greatly respect the lads who tog out for us, but there were a few there last night who are living off their previous reputations. A couple of the lads starting just are not good enough for senior inter county. I thought Treacy, Lee and Ranahan (an outstanding servant, but the clock has run out) were very poor, and Hegarty wasn't too far behind if truth be told.

On the plus side, Nash kicked a few lovely points and looks to be a great find. Hugely impressed with Stephen Cahill who was outstanding I thought. Rob Browne was also excellent and got a great score in the first few minutes. Seanie Buckley was horrendous in the first half, but came into it when he was brought to midfield and his leadership was needed. Scanlon also kicked some frees that were out of this world.

The next day, we need Neville, Sheehan and maybe Moore starting. Pace and urgency rather than laborious and ultimately poor decision making is what is required now, which was very evident last night. I don't see why we can't get 2-3 games out of the qualifiers if we start adopting this.

We have some of the tools to improve, let's just hope that management sees this also.

any idea why danny neville didnt start , made a huge impact when he came on , big man had everyone beaten for pace, taught ye went for goals a bit early too and in fairness to ye'r forwards they did play an awful lot better the last in the league , the wind did have a say in things too last night

Were you not at it?? Very proud of the second half display, just lacked that little bit of composure. Left everything they had on the field, which is all anyone can ask for.

Sadly not, I've been a very poor supporter this year at all grades in both codes tbh.

Limerick been pretty awful ist half against injury depleted clsre but management no idea implement tactics in aimless ball limerick hit at times huge worry

Clsre man deserved go but game over now limerick to win but there haunted as with the wind lot, scores lot frees so struggling from play and stronger team with less injured players been pretty awful

Limerick will win but second half cant be taken face value as extra man huge advantage game like this

Lynch been terrific like I said he would but he such big game temperament but limerick still could use him better

Awesome skill

I fancied limerick shade it now they could win bit spare but it's down To being up man

O brien having blinder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Limerick been pretty awful ist half against injury depleted clsre but management no idea implement tactics in aimless ball limerick hit at times huge worry

Clsre man deserved go but game over now limerick to win but there haunted as against wind lot scores frees and stronger team been pretty awful

Limerick will win but second half cant be taken face value as extra man huge advantage game like this

Lynch been terrific like I said he would but he such big game temperament but limerick still could use him better

Awesome skill

I fancied limerick shade it now they could win bit spare but it's down To being up man

O brien having blinder
    You'll use every excuse in the world to defend your friend Davy Fitz

Look Davy not my friend and again just since I went against waterford thank you for new found loyalty my posts with same remarks yet you will not answer points debate when asked
    No one can deny fifteen men have advantage half hurling go such is intensity physics demands out there
    Nothing do with Davy but a logical thought but look your entitled to your view and I respect it but disagree as I know your not which is fair enough fan waterford last manager get them to an all Ireland

• Advertisement

Shefflin said it four all star out now man down and lot more hooking blocking on tip ist half huge huge ask and sheedy fancied clare start said limerick now win

Game is effectively over and clare so tired with no bench and effort stay in game could blow up last quarter and limerick could win easily

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement