Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

they are but as said earlier both teams played with a notion that there is more to come nither side were at there best

there was also a bit of maturity in limericks victory today , there was no one getting carried away in interviews after the game , no pitch invasion's supporters having a sit in on the terrace , it was very much a case of just go home and worry about the next day , i remember last year in thurles and the year before in the park were very much different you can see there is a different mindset this year already
    Valid points but at the same the counter debate would be there was in truth a win that you couldn't really get carried away with getting just one eight from play having extra man for crucial start of the second half and conceding two goals and bar quaid no one really in Wayne mac won't or breen improve the team hugely so lot a lot to ponder as limerick scraped home

Tom Ryan would make a huge improvement but I said this before he's not rated by this management yet he'd walk on most teams in the country

Limerick played a sweeper well in defence to a point however that failed to get the balance between attack and defence right and I said this before the game no point setting up defensive if you play long aimless direct balls down to the forwards
    They need the short game but it won't happen they played this style as they had to v clsre and they will revert to default v tipp
    Tipperary have the better hurlers and pace to beat them but tipperary bottle for appetite is questionable but this is not kk there playing so if they realise that limerick are very beatable then they could win

Lynch is a terrific player but if Cathal Barrett is fit he'll have a huge battle
    Lynch is so good however all he needs is ball but I think Limerick could struggle in that regard the next game

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Valid points but at the same the counter debate would be there was in truth a win that you couldn't really get carried away with getting just one eight from play having extra man for crucial start of the second half and conceding two goals and bar quaid no one really in Wayne mac won't or breen improve the team hugely so lot a lot to ponder as limerick scraped home

Tom Ryan would make a huge improvement but I said this before he's not rated by this management yet he'd walk on most teams in the country

Limerick played a sweeper well in defence to a point however that failed to get the balance between attack and defence right and I said this before the game no point setting up defensive if you play long aimless direct balls down to the forwards
    They need the short game but it won't happen they played this style as they had to v clsre and they will revert to default v tipp
    Tipperary have the better hurlers and pace to beat them but tipperary bottle for appetite is questionable but this is not kk there playing so if they realise that limerick are very beatable then they could win

Lynch is a terrific player but if Cathal Barrett is fit he'll have a huge battle
    Lynch is so good however all he needs is ball but I think Limerick could struggle in that regard the next game
    Actually David Breen would improve the half forward line as he's an option from puck outs, we lacked that yesterday...bottle for appetite? New catch phrase for Cyril right there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

You certainly need to watch it again if you thought he lost possession. I was right beside it in the front row. That ball he won for Kellys point was unreal, could have been another goal he set up. Everytime hes played hes been getting goals but that wouldn't have convinced me alone to be honest, but his general play was outstanding. The role of a full forward has changed a lot, didn't Dowling get an all star last year? Didn't get a goal in the two biggest games he played in.

To be double marked essentially and do what he did was top class and there's no doubt that created space for Cunningham to get some of his chances.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Actually David Breen would improve the half forward line as he's an option from puck outs, we lacked that yesterday...bottle for appetite? New catch phrase for Cyril right there...
    Breen does that no problem but so much other stuff he can't do then so it's a rock and a hard place scenario

My team would be
    Quaid if fit
    Condon
    Mac
    Walsh
    Hickey
    O mahony
    Seanie o brien
    Ryan
    Browne
    Tom Ryan but playing deeper
    O grady
    Downes in hannon needs be dropped get work rate hunger back
    Mulchay
    Dowling
    Lynch
    Play possession game all the time mixed with direct game all the time so team gets used to it and not just one off where they were way off the cohesive elegance required but I don't blame the team I blame management as this should been done during the league
    That limerick team has inter change ability and versatile front six that they can move and alternate and be huge threat to tipp in you can't be predicable
    Tipp are going to be under dog away from home compared to the past two years so tipp love the under dog role and again yesterday limerick struggle being favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Breen does that no problem but so much other stuff he can't do then so it's a rock and a hard place scenario

My team would be
    Quaid if fit
    Condon
    Mac
    Walsh
    Hickey
    O mahony
    Seanie o brien
    Ryan
    Browne
    Tom Ryan but playing deeper
    O grady
    Downes in hannon needs be dropped get work rate hunger back
    Mulchay
    Dowling
    Lynch
    Play possession game all the time mixed with direct game all the time so team gets used to it and not just one off where they were way off the cohesive elegance required but I don't blame the team I blame management as this should been done during the league
    That limerick team has inter change ability and versatile front six that they can move and alternate and be huge threat to tipp in you can't be predicable
    Tipp are going to be under dog away from home compared to the past two years so tipp love the under dog role and again yesterday limerick struggle being favourite

I'd be stunned if Tipp weren't favourites. Sure all the talk after yesterday is Clare were crap and still nearly won. Nothing being said of Limerick really.

We need to get ruthless for goals but never really got the chance yesterday as Clare kept fouling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Without having watched the game on tv again, impressions:

Hennessy - I actually thought he'd pulled off a great save from Cunningham right after the introduction but I think that shot rifled over the bar. I know one or two puckouts went out over the line, but with a bit of work there's great potential there, puckouts have an excellent low trajectory, easier for half-forwards to win.

Walsh - Solid, if unspectacular. I do think that with Walsh and McCarthy in the full back line we are leaving ourselves open pacewise.

McCarthy - looks in bother so much of the time, but by the same token O'Donnell never really got past him. I was surprised that he ended up directly marking O'Donnell for most of the game. A bit of conditioning wouldn't go astray....

Hickey - I doubt he was fully fit. Hobbled off and was caught for pace for at least one of Cunningham's goals, which is unusual. Seeemed to be growing into it just before he was taken off though.

S O'Brien - Did very well, great pace, clever use of the ball. One hilarious moment where he was in acres of space and lost the hurley, had to turn around and retrieve it...still made it to the ball first. In a more traditional line-up where you are battling under puck-outs he may be a bit more suspect, he could end up starting in the corner the next day.

O'Mahoney - Brilliant, best game I've seen him play. Lots of the diagonal ball which Lynch did so well with came from GOM. He has the brains and the hurling to unlock the forwards we have. Intercepted and broke clear with ball so many times as well, my motm actually.

Condon - Completing a good day for the half-back line. I think he is at home on the wing, brings a nice bit of bite to the line and as the man himself says, he likes to score!

P O'Brien - started very, very well, faded a bit but came back into it. Played as half-forward and won us a fair amount of ball there as well. May start as an orthodox half-forward the next day.

Ryan - I don't know it is about Ryan's striking, maybe he is stopping up as he is hitting the ball, but everything goes straight up in the air. Wasted a good few balls by hitting hail Marys on top of Dowling or driving wide. An improvement on the deliveries would be a massive boost, he's been at this for years.

O'Grady - quiet game, could struggle to hold onto his place.

Hannon - a very, very quiet game. I saw him drifting into acres of space a few times alright, which is where I think his game is, but he wasn't seen, or the players aren't tuned in to looking for that option, I'm not sure. There was one stage in the second half where there he made two half-hearted dives to try and get the block in and it kind of summed up his day. He did get on the ball at bit more in the second half, mostly very deep and delivering good ball forward. Between him and a fully fit Kevin Downes for centre-forward I would start Downes all day long.

Browne - played midfield, not his best day at the office tbf, as someone mentioned he struggled to get the ball in hand at times, which is unusual. Browne/Ryan have been a great midfield partnership over the last few years but we shouldn't be afraid of trying other options there.

Mulcahy - starved in the first half, made a telling contribution when swapped with Lynch in the second half and he started receiving deliveries in front. In fairness both Lynch and Mulcahy roasted DOD, so it's hard to know how much of that was down to the corner back as well. Brilliantly taken goal, he has such composure and precision on broken ball.

Dowling - Was double marked and struggled to make an impact from play. I thought the high-balls into him might reap more rewards than it did. Has struggled to make any impact during the league at 14 and a similar story today. Did well on the frees though, especially to recover from missing a few in the first half, which has signaled bad days for us so many times in the past. Am convinced he would be more at home on the wing, whether he has the mobility is another question.

Lynch - I really didn't expect him to go as well as he did. He didn't even operate in the drifting role we expected, more of an orthodox corner-forward and he caused Clare endless problems. What I liked yesterday, despite the superb stickwork this guy has, he was always looking to get the ball directly into the paw. A superb debut.

Mostly the subs didn't see enough action to make an impact (Tobin...) but two deserve mention:

McNamara - broke out of at least one ruck with the ball towards the end, will probably be in the shakeup for a starting spot next day.

Fitzgibbon - I've great time for this lad and he was brilliant when he game on yesterday - made about four or five crucial interceptions by getting the hurley in, uses the ball intelligently and popped up for the winning score. Mightn't start the next day but a very good option to bring on in the middle of the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

A good training session yesterday for bigger days to come-

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Thoughts on Walsh from lads at the game? Not apparent whether he did much right or wrong from TV and not apparent from posts since either. Wayne Mc looked sharp and motivated when he came on and his physicality could be needed against Tipp. I'd be having him back in at 5 I think, possibly moving Seanie back into the corner.

A big call to be made on goalkeeper, stick or twist. Lost 11 of 28 puck outs, Hennessy's fault, the teams' set ups or our absentee half forward line? A bit of all of the above maybe. Aaron Murphy with the wind would nearly have landed them on Dowling.

Paudie better moved out of wing back and made a case for himself as a half forward if anything. I'm still not sure I'd start him next day out. Browne plus Jim Bob needs to be restored.

If Downes is up to speed he needs to start for Dodge the next day. Not sure what the prognosis is on Breen but fully fit he'd have been better than Dodge and Hannon too. We still need at least one half forward that tracks back the field though, it protects Gavin at half back and the absentee wing forward (since Jack Browne didn't maintain his position on the wing) gave Lynch the space in front of him to do wreck (and seriously sold out DOD for Clare), Lynch likely won't get that space against Tipp. Hannon spent a lot of time out in the middle of the field, should we have found him more with passes from defence or was he really as passive as lads are saying? He tore it up as a traditional 11 against kk, can he do against Maher or do should Downes or Breen come in?

Browney7 wrote: »
    I'd be stunned if Tipp weren't favourites. Sure all the talk after yesterday is Clare were crap and still nearly won. Nothing being said of Limerick really.

We need to get ruthless for goals but never really got the chance yesterday as Clare kept fouling
    The fact it's home and tipp lost the last two makes them underdog
    Limerick won't come in under the radar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

The fact it's home and tipp lost the last two makes them underdog
    Limerick won't come in under the radar

Tipperary are massive favourites for the All Ireland- They will be favourites here too and righly so, they are an amazing team. Tipp by 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Thoughts on Walsh from lads at the game? Not apparent whether he did much right or wrong from TV and not apparent from posts since either. Wayne Mc looked sharp and motivated when he came on and his physicality could be needed against Tipp. I'd be having him back in at 5 I think, possibly moving Seanie back into the corner.

A big call to be made on goalkeeper, stick or twist. Lost 11 of 28 puck outs, Hennessy's fault, the teams' set ups or our absentee half forward line? A bit of all of the above maybe. Aaron Murphy with the wind would nearly have landed them on Dowling.

Paudie better moved out of wing back and made a case for himself as a half forward if anything. I'm still not sure I'd start him next day out. Browne plus Jim Bob needs to be restored.

If Downes is up to speed he needs to start for Dodge the next day. Not sure what the prognosis is on Breen but fully fit he'd have been better than Dodge and Hannon too. We still need at least one half forward that tracks back the field though, it protects Gavin at half back and the absentee wing forward (since Jack Browne didn't maintain his position on the wing) gave Lynch the space in front of him to do wreck (and seriously sold out DOD for Clare), Lynch likely won't get that space against Tipp. Hannon spent a lot of time out in the middle of the field, should we have found him more with passes from defence or was he really as passive as lads are saying? He tore it up as a traditional 11 against kk, can he do against Maher or do should Downes or Breen come in?

I thought Walsh was fine, nothing special but nothing awful. Fairly solid. Wayne did well when he came on, not sure if I'd bring him back but Tipp are a completely different prospect in the half-forward line with Bonner Maher very hard to mark.

I don't think the puckouts were Hennessy's fault, obviously Murphy has longer range but judging from the warm-ups, he's not as accurate. We don't really have ball-winning options and not enough runs were made. If Quaid is back, I think he's even better at delivering accurate puckouts and hopefully we'll have Breen and/or Downes too.

I think Paudie should start the next day, at wing-forward. And if Hannon was dropped for Downes, you couldn't blame TJ, I just don't think it will happen. I'd replace Dodge with Downes too. At least a half-forward line of Paudie/Downes/Breen would be strong, hard-working and willing to run at the backline. He likely will keep Hannon but he needs to get involved more, or we need to work to get him involved. Same with Mulcahy.

Not a chance Lynch will do as well the next day but he has to continue to fight tooth and nail to win every ball he can, and he will win frees if he does, his first touch is top class.

Tipp are everyone's favourites for the all ireland, unanimous except for Brennan and Shefflin who have tipped Kilkenny unsurprisingly. No way will Limerick be favourites.

Vanolder wrote: »
    Tipperary are massive favourites for the All Ireland- They will be favourites here too and righly so, they are an amazing team. Tipp by 6.

You're slipping limerick by ten you should of said
    I don't know what you aim to achieve by starting off this yerra talk like you done up to the clare game
    Fact is limerick hugely at least breaking even and tipperary have a huge motivating factor
    Tippeary are not massive favourite for all Ireland just cause joe blogs lays a huge bet on them
    Most pundits have kk as favourites
    Tipperary ist game out as well all pressure and talk is on Limerick

Tipp are everyone's favourites for the all ireland, unanimous except for Brennan and Shefflin who have tipped Kilkenny unsurprisingly. No way will Limerick be favourites.
    I can't see how there favourites unless kk are beaten as tipperary haven't beat tipp since how long in a big big game
    Kk may be in transition but we had that for years and they still won

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I guess guess we're slightly better off after the weekend than before, we can improve a lot still. First touch specifically.

The naivety of our defence and the fact we consistently come out the wrong end of the goal count is the biggest concern.

Wonder will TJ go horses for courses and bring wayne mac in to mark bonner maher. Think wayne deserves a chance with two performing half backs beside him.

Kilmallock v liberties on friday be very interesting to see how tomas ryan performs. Wont get to it myself.

I guess guess we're slightly better off after the weekend than before, we can improve a lot still. First touch specifically.

The naivety of our defence and the fact we consistently come out the wrong end of the goal count is the biggest concern.

Wonder will TJ go horses for courses and bring wayne mac in to mark bonner maher. Think wayne deserves a chance with two performing half backs beside him.

Kilmallock v liberties on friday be very interesting to see how tomas ryan performs. Wont get to it myself.

Where is that game on paddy please
    Interesting see how he's brother Brian does also the minor as he's in terrific form for club and county at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

All in all, a lot more negatives than positives; but one crucial positive; we won. Before the game I wasn't overly happy with the four week gap, I feel three weeks is the optimal gap not to take the sting out of any momentum but that extra week will come in handy now.

I kind of got the feeling that in the first half we were more concerned with countering what Clare were likely to do rather than focusing on ourselves, it kind of worked but at the same time it kind of didn't? I thought Clare were very indisciplined at times, I'm disappointed with how Davy sets them up at times and they go out with a bit too much aggression, four red cards in three championship games says something. Oddly enough in those three games they played their best hurling when reduced in numbers. They have some fabulous hurlers at their disposal, it's a shame to see how they play sometimes because at their best they can be an absolute joy to watch.

It had the feel of a high intensity challenge game, that's not to dismiss it as an unimportant game, both teams went out and gave everything they could to win it but you just got the sense that both teams have plenty of room to improve. Clare can be much better than yesterday and we can be too, we most likely will drive on, and we will need to against Tipp.

I'd agree with most of what people are saying here in terms of individual performances, I had a right cut at Hannon earlier today; I really feel it's a sh1tty thing to do to criticise individuals like that, I have great time for Hannon, I know he's a terrific player but I just wish he'd illustrate it more. I know that no player goes out to play badly and no player gets to that level and goes out to hide. Are we not utilising him correctly? Or was it just part of Clare's tactics to specifically play around him?

Where is that game on paddy please
    Interesting see how he's brother Brian does also the minor as he's in terrific form for club and county at the moment

Friday night in Bruff.

It's actually a double header with Ahane v Effin, fair play to the county board, I've criticised for lack of double headers before so it's only fair to give them credit now.

Ahane v Effin @ 6.15
    Kilmallock v S.Liberties @ 7.45

Thursday
    PIHC: Knockainey v Garryspillane (Kilmallock, 7:30)
    PIHC: Monaleen v Blackrock (Hospital, 7:30)

Friday
    SHC: Ahane v Effin (Bruff, 6:15)
    SHC: Kilmallock v South Liberties (Bruff, 7:45)
    SHC: Na Piarsaigh v Ballybrown (Claughaun, 7:30)
    IHC: Cappamore v Caherline (Hospital, 7:30)
    IHC: Mungret v Feenagh-Kilmeedy (Askeaton, 7:30)
    IHC: Newcastlewest v Feohanagh (Knockaderry, 7:30)

Saturday
    SHC: Doon v Bruff (Caherconlish, 7:30)
    SHC: Murroe-Boher v Patrickswell (Claughaun, 7:30)
    PIHC: Pallasgreen v Granagh-Ballingarry (Kilmallock, 6:00)
    PIHC: Bruree v Dromin-Athlacca (Kilmallock, 7:45)
    IHC: Knockaderry v St.Kierans (Dromcollogher, 7:30)
    IHC: Glenroe v Hospital-Herbertstown (Kilfinane, 3:00)

Sunday
    SHC: Adare v Croom (Kilmallock, 7:30)
    IHC: Kildimo-Pallaskenry v Claughaun (Mungret, 7:30)

I thought our discipline was superb in the 2nd half, gave away hardly any frees in scorable positions.

Davy might complain about the number of frees given against them, but to be honest, I was looking back and there were incidents with Cian Lynch & Graeme Mulcahy totally taken out off the ball which would have been 2 more points for Dowling.

Although maybe we should have committed fouls for the two goals, one good thing about Clare is that if they get ahead, those kind of fouls stop teams getting goals. If Hickey had dragged down Cunningham and got the yellow card, no goal. We all remember 2013 where any time a Limerick player looked anywhere near breaking through on goal, he was hauled down. Clare were happy to get a few yellow cards and concede a free if it meant no goal... maybe Limerick need to be a bit more cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Thursday
    PIHC: Knockainey v Garryspillane (Kilmallock, 7:30)
    PIHC: Monaleen v Blackrock (Hospital, 7:30)

Friday
    SHC: Ahane v Effin (Bruff, 6:15)
    SHC: Kilmallock v South Liberties (Bruff, 7:45)
    SHC: Na Piarsaigh v Ballybrown (Claughaun, 7:30)
    IHC: Cappamore v Caherline (Hospital, 7:30)
    IHC: Mungret v Feenagh-Kilmeedy (Askeaton, 7:30)
    IHC: Newcastlewest v Feohanagh (Knockaderry, 7:30)

Saturday
    SHC: Doon v Bruff (Caherconlish, 7:30)
    SHC: Murroe-Boher v Patrickswell (Claughaun, 7:30)
    PIHC: Pallasgreen v Granagh-Ballingarry (Kilmallock, 6:00)
    PIHC: Bruree v Dromin-Athlacca (Kilmallock, 7:45)
    IHC: Knockaderry v St.Kierans (Dromcollogher, 7:30)
    IHC: Glenroe v Hospital-Herbertstown (Kilfinane, 3:00)

Sunday
    SHC: Adare v Croom (Kilmallock, 7:30)
    IHC: Kildimo-Pallaskenry v Claughaun (Mungret, 7:30)

Limerick supposedly playing Kilkenny in a challenge Sunday evening, must mean the adare lads will be missing...quick turnaround and busy few weeks for the county lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Limerick supposedly playing Kilkenny in a challenge Sunday evening, must mean the adare lads will be missing...quick turnaround and busy few weeks for the county lads.

They are playing at the opening of a GAA development in Inistioge 7pm Sunday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

16e46295817090d7c435feaa27d0dca9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If I was a limerick man, one of the most satisfying things from Sunday was to win with Hannon being quiet. I thought he'd need a big game for Limerick to come out on top.
    From a Clare perspective, the main problem we had with Cian Lynch was the space in front of him. Limerick lofted some lovely balls in front of him where he had room to manoeuvre when he won possession. We needed to cut out that room but failed to do. Huge credit to a young lad making his debut. He punished us big time.

A full forward line of mcgrath, SOD, cuningham is keeping backlines across the country awake. Would be happy for limerick to avoid them for rest of year.

If TJ continues to pick a horses for courses selection then I think we're 50/50 against every other team in the country (assuming we continue to develop)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

16e46295817090d7c435feaa27d0dca9.png

They're fairly poor odds on tipp given that we lost to ye last 2 games. Think Limerick are great value.

I'd be pretty concerned about the Limerick performance to be honest. Bar the first 15 minutes where they exploited the space, they seemed to revert to type with some aimless long balls. Declan Hannon for the most part didn't want to know about it, and Dowling and Mulcahy were only alright. Ye were carrying DOG and Stephen Walsh I thought and I just don't see the options on the bench.

Fairplay to John Fitzgibbon getting the winning point, him aside I don't think any of the subs really helped yer cause, but those two mentioned could have been replaced long before they were. James Ryan and Tom Condon were out on their feet with the effort they'd given. Hickey was poor enough too, hes only back from injury though, yeah? So entitled to improve. Thought Seanie O Brien was decent on his debut but Conlon cleaned ye.

I think yer halfback line is still a big problem and a major concern going forward. Cian Lynch will go onto be one of the best players of his generation in my opinion, but this early in his development he can't be expected to be leading the line. He'll be targeted and no other team is going to leave their worst back on him for 50 minutes.

Ye have defied the odds twice and come out on top against Tipp and its back in the Gaelic Grounds, and I didn't think ye'd win either game. They are being setup for a fall with the way nearly everyone is tipping them for the all Ireland and have injury concerns, though I think a few are over stated. They've still not got full back nailed down, and Stapleton is a liability.

But I feel like yell need to improve a good bit to beat them.

I'd be pretty concerned about the Limerick performance to be honest. Bar the first 15 minutes where they exploited the space, they seemed to revert to type with some aimless long balls. Declan Hannon for the most part didn't want to know about it, and Dowling and Mulcahy were only alright. Ye were carrying DOG and Stephen Walsh I thought and I just don't see the options on the bench.

Fairplay to John Fitzgibbon getting the winning point, him aside I don't think any of the subs really helped yer cause, but those two mentioned could have been replaced long before they were. James Ryan and Tom Condon were out on their feet with the effort they'd given. Hickey was poor enough too, hes only back from injury though, yeah? So entitled to improve. Thought Seanie O Brien was decent on his debut but Conlon cleaned ye.

I think yer halfback line is still a big problem and a major concern going forward. Cian Lynch will go onto be one of the best players of his generation in my opinion, but this early in his development he can't be expected to be leading the line. He'll be targeted and no other team is going to leave their worst back on him for 50 minutes.

Ye have defied the odds twice and come out on top against Tipp and its back in the Gaelic Grounds, and I didn't think ye'd win either game. They are being setup for a fall with the way nearly everyone is tipping them for the all Ireland and have injury concerns, though I think a few are over stated. They've still not got full back nailed down, and Stapleton is a liability.

All the criticism is fair, however hickey, condon, hannon and dodge were all coming back from injury, plus quaid breen and downes out injured. Add in the fact that we seem to have left our training late and only worked on a gamplan for 1 and a half challenge matches its not surprising that things broke down after 15 mins. The big plus is 2 debutants gave great performances. We'll take that and move on. Tipp are a known quantity and we wont fear them. 50/50 game same as last 2.

Yeah fair enough, ye got the win which was the most important thing. It'd be naive at this stage to be writing a team off on the basis of one game, especially given they won. But big improvement required.

• Advertisement

Those points are all fair enough, but I thought Wayne Mac made a big difference when he came on. There were two occasions where his strength won balls that we mightn't have won otherwise. Fitzgibbon also worked very hard.

Dan was alright, nothing too outstanding, but Seanie was sent off straight away and Downes was only on for less than a minute. I can't wait for Downes to be back to full fitness and apparently we're appealing the red card too. Bit surprised Reidy wasn't called upon but our bench is growing, I think.

I thought Mulcahy was excellent any time he touched the ball... it's hard for a corner-forward to be noticed when he gets no service. Dowling wasn't at his best but he does work hard, and has traditionally been excellent against Tipperary.

A load of work to do for sure but personnel-wise, I think we're alright. With Dempsey & Ryan going abroad, I'm not sure the options are there beyond what we have anyway. There were a few players who impressed a lot in the intermediate game but the Clare intermediates weren't great tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement