Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Best thing to take away from Sunday is that we won a tactical battle, that the management showed a bit of this fabled "nous", an ability to deviate from the norm and go for a horses for courses approach. We set out not to lose, rather than to go out and win. It paid off, just about in the end, but on the balance of play I felt we were worth our win. The refereeing was all over the shop, though it probably all balanced out in the end.

The team will change the next day, the assumption is that it will revert to a more standard 15 v 15 lineup against Tipp. Tipp are the ones in the long grass for a change coming into this one, they've had a lot of injuries and absentees to contend with during the league, so there are doubts about Barry, Corbett, Noel McGrath also out. A lot of teams are missing key players at the moment, managing injuries is import - it may be too early yet for Quaid and Breen and they shouldn't be rushed back, but I would expect Downes to be pushing for a starting spot and hopefully Tobin's suspension is cleared.

Observations:

Richie Mc very much playing the percentages with O'Donnell, SOD thrives on getting in behind defenders, he got on the world of ball on Sunday but always had McCarthy between him and the goal and another player covering. You need pace, but you also need power if playing two up front, it's why I think Downes would be more suited to the 14 role if we employ it again this season. I'd stick with Dowling in a one-to-one matchup scenario.

Declan Hannon probably got a harsh doing in a lot of the comments in fairness. He did pop up here and there playing largely out of position, the first half was extremely stop-start and difficult for a player in a drifting role to get into the match. Doesn't seem to cut sidelines much any more, he has nailed some beauties in the past I wonder if it's gone out of his game. I certainly wouldn't bench him. Front six of O'Brien, Downes, Hannon, Mulcahy, Dowling, Lynch the next day. Lynch and Mulcahy combined brilliantly at times on Sunday, there's goals there.

You'd forget how much James Ryan gets on the ball because he generally goes for the hand-pass rather than striking. When he does it's almost always a high ball. He can score on his day, but I wish he'd hit the odd low one into the corner. Paul Browne will surely improve.

McNamara to come into the half-back line the next day is a change we'll see. Was back to vintage GOM against Clare and Condon boosts the line considerably from a defensive point of view, maybe looking at Seanie O'Brien dropping back to corner to speed up full-back line.

What's the story with this KK challenge on Sunday, there is a round of club on so I'd be intrigued as to what players will be available. It's a good opportunity to try and bolster the squad, think with Tobin possibly out we're particularly light on forward options off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Valid points but at the same the counter debate would be there was in truth a win that you couldn't really get carried away with getting just one eight from play having extra man for crucial start of the second half and conceding two goals and bar quaid no one really in Wayne mac won't or breen improve the team hugely so lot a lot to ponder as limerick scraped home

Tom Ryan would make a huge improvement but I said this before he's not rated by this management yet he'd walk on most teams in the country

Limerick played a sweeper well in defence to a point however that failed to get the balance between attack and defence right and I said this before the game no point setting up defensive if you play long aimless direct balls down to the forwards
    They need the short game but it won't happen they played this style as they had to v clsre and they will revert to default v tipp
    Tipperary have the better hurlers and pace to beat them but tipperary bottle for appetite is questionable but this is not kk there playing so if they realise that limerick are very beatable then they could win

Lynch is a terrific player but if Cathal Barrett is fit he'll have a huge battle
    Lynch is so good however all he needs is ball but I think Limerick could struggle in that regard the next game

Would you ever give over. As far as you are concerned as long as TJ is manager Limerick will not beat anyone, well his record already proves you to be talking through your "you know what."

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Would you ever give over. As far as you are concerned as long as TJ is manager Limerick will not beat anyone, well his record already proves you to be talking through your "you know what."
    Best thing to take away from Sunday is that we won a tactical battle, that the management showed a bit of this fabled "nous", an ability to deviate from the norm and go for a horses for courses approach. We set out not to lose, rather than to go out and win. It paid off, just about in the end, but on the balance of play I felt we were worth our win. The refereeing was all over the shop, though it probably all balanced out in the end.

The team will change the next day, the assumption is that it will revert to a more standard 15 v 15 lineup against Tipp. Tipp are the ones in the long grass for a change coming into this one, they've had a lot of injuries and absentees to contend with during the league, so there are doubts about Barry, Corbett, Noel McGrath also out. A lot of teams are missing key players at the moment, managing injuries is import - it may be too early yet for Quaid and Breen and they shouldn't be rushed back, but I would expect Downes to be pushing for a starting spot and hopefully Tobin's suspension is cleared.

Observations:

Richie Mc very much playing the percentages with O'Donnell, SOD thrives on getting in behind defenders, he got on the world of ball on Sunday but always had McCarthy between him and the goal and another player covering. You need pace, but you also need power if playing two up front, it's why I think Downes would be more suited to the 14 role if we employ it again this season. I'd stick with Dowling in a one-to-one matchup scenario.

Declan Hannon probably got a harsh doing in a lot of the comments in fairness. He did pop up here and there playing largely out of position, the first half was extremely stop-start and difficult for a player in a drifting role to get into the match. Doesn't seem to cut sidelines much any more, he has nailed some beauties in the past I wonder if it's gone out of his game. I certainly wouldn't bench him. Front six of O'Brien, Downes, Hannon, Mulcahy, Dowling, Lynch the next day. Lynch and Mulcahy combined brilliantly at times on Sunday, there's goals there.

You'd forget how much James Ryan gets on the ball because he generally goes for the hand-pass rather than striking. When he does it's almost always a high ball. He can score on his day, but I wish he'd hit the odd low one into the corner. Paul Browne will surely improve.

McNamara to come into the half-back line the next day is a change we'll see. Was back to vintage GOM against Clare and Condon boosts the line considerably from a defensive point of view, maybe looking at Seanie O'Brien dropping back to corner to speed up full-back line.

What's the story with this KK challenge on Sunday, there is a round of club on so I'd be intrigued as to what players will be available. It's a good opportunity to try and bolster the squad, think with Tobin possibly out we're particularly light on forward options off the bench.

100% in agreement with these two posts.

Twoman Fullbackline, that's pretty much exactly how I'd see us shaping up for the Tipp game too. Hopefully Downes starts for Dodge, possibly Breen too for O'Brien if he's available. Although O'Brien might be better playing a deep wing forward almost midfield type role which is what left acres to space for Lynch the last day. Tipp won't leave all that space I imagine. Wayne coming in I hope will strengthen half back and his physicality will be needed against Tipp. Hickey looked rusty and maybe not fully fit last day out, well below his usual standard anyway, 4 weeks will improve him immeasurably. Don't think Walsh did much wrong but a toss up between him and Seanie for the corner spot. Seanie brings a lot of pace and is good on the ball but Walsh is probably a more steady defender. Clare's sweeper sat in front of Dowling the last day and I think we can expect more from him and more from Hannon in a more traditional set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Totally respect your opinion but hard to debate that as always you don't really engage in meaningful debate but odd few remarks here
    I ask the same question as before what record exactly
    A waterford crystal cup and second grade cotk intermediate club title but a poor under twenty one season a fifty per cent record last year and beating clare in a game they could of just as easily lost by a point with bulger and mcgrath huge looses to clare I think logic says he's still a lot to prove yet and when he wins the all Ireland then he has convinced me

Unfortunately you were wrong in your assement on cian lynch being hyped up incorrectly as if he was not good enough to start when I was correct lynch would have the game temperament and be absolutely fine on sunday and he was
    To be fair glauaban was also correct in he's judgment of lynch as he said also lynch would be fine

You should also look at the posts before you jump in in i said limerick would win here before the game unlike your good self who never say much before the games
    And I also was correct as many will know here I said limerick would beat clsre intermediate but I remain be convinced on management and I was right on both counts when apparently limerick made it difficult for themselves and tipp with a strong team this year will test them

Thank you for your kind words also

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Just returning to the frees/discipline thing. Remember last year, Limerick got way more frees than Tipperary and a lot of people were giving out that the free count was leaning in our favour?

Maybe, just maybe, we are actually a well-disciplined side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Just returning to the frees/discipline thing. Remember last year, Limerick got way more frees than Tipperary and a lot of people were giving out that the free count was leaning in our favour?

Maybe, just maybe, we are actually a well-disciplined side.

Myself and brother commented on same during the match. We are the best team out there at close in hassling without fouling and also close in 50/50 possession. This is missed in a lot of the analysis as its not as sexy as goals and points but it's probably the key to our recent successes in tight matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Totally respect your opinion but hard to debate that as always you don't really engage in meaningful debate but odd few remarks here
    I ask the same question as before what record exactly
    A waterford crystal cup and second grade cotk intermediate club title but a poor under twenty one season a fifty per cent record last year and beating clare in a game they could of just as easily lost by a point with bulger and mcgrath huge looses to clare I think logic says he's still a lot to prove yet and when he wins the all Ireland then he has convinced me

Unfortunately you were wrong in your assement on cian lynch being hyped up incorrectly as if he was not good enough to start when I was correct lynch would have the game temperament and be absolutely fine on sunday and he was
    To be fair glauaban was also correct in he's judgment of lynch as he said also lynch would be fine

You should also look at the posts before you jump in in i said limerick would win here before the game unlike your good self who never say much before the games
    And I also was correct as many will know here I said limerick would beat clsre intermediate but I remain be convinced on management and I was right on both counts when apparently limerick made it difficult for themselves and tipp with a strong team this year will test them

Thank you for your kind words also

Alright me old pal.... I'd agree with parts of that. Training has been an issue alright and was an issue up to the Dublin game but I think the team got down to buisness after that but it was a short window to be fully ready for Clare and that was my one big worry. The team were out on their feet with 5 minutes to go and they also looked like a team caught between two game plans.. However, their fighting spirit got them over the line the other day and that's a great sign to see in May. They will improve a lot for the next day and I think in the last couple of years or 1b base meant we were coming into both Tipp games cold and it took us until half time to get going, I expect us to hit the ground running here and i'm gonna back us to win another tight game. TJ and co had us right last year - they aimed for August with their training, including some heavy training the week of the Munster final, and were not far off getting to an All Ireland. I agree the jury is still out but he's slowly going about his business.

slegs wrote: »
    Myself and brother commented on same during the match. We are the best team out there at close in hassling without fouling and also close in 50/50 possession. This is missed in a lot of the analysis as its not as sexy as goals and points but it's probably the key to our recent successes in tight matches

The discipline and focus and concentration has been outstanding and they live on the edge but not outside it and that's huge bonus but it can't be lost in translation the defence conceded nine goals in the last five championship matches taken for two in every game bar wexford who got one so there's huge problem still defence goal wise that have to be simply have to be to even think about getting to croke park not to mind an all Ireland win imo

slegs wrote: »

The counterpoint is for both goals we conceded would Clare have conceded a free before the goal threat materialised?

However I agree, I think we have a decent set of backs that usually work well together. Not as cohesive as usual against Clare maybe. But they should come on for having played that game. Hickey looked below his best against Clare and should be back to the level he displayed last year for the Tipp game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

The discipline and focus and concentration has been outstanding and they live on the edge but not outside it and that's huge bonus but it can't be lost in translation the defence conceded nine goals in the last five championship matches taken for two in every game bar wexford who got one so there's huge problem still defence goal wise that have to be simply have to be to even think about getting to croke park not to mind an all Ireland win imo
    Agreed goals are our problem at both ends but our middle third is playing a style of hurling that smothers the opposition and shifts the ball well in possession. If we could click in the forwards I think we could have a right cut at this championship. I think the backs will be ok as the season goes on

• Advertisement

The counterpoint is for both goals we conceded would Clare have conceded a free before the goal threat materialised?

However I agree, I think we have a decent set of backs that usually work well together. Not as cohesive as usual against Clare maybe. But they should come on for having played that game. Hickey looked below his best against Clare and should be back to the level he displayed last year for the Tipp game.

Whatever about the first one, it would be hard to think that he'd weave through such a tight space; the second one though, had to be hauled down. Might be cynical, but Kilkenny/Clare/Tipp would probably all do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Gaelic Grounds naming rights up for sale...

Vanolder wrote: »
    Alright me old pal.... I'd agree with parts of that. Training has been an issue alright and was an issue up to the Dublin game but I think the team got down to buisness after that but it was a short window to be fully ready for Clare and that was my one big worry. The team were out on their feet with 5 minutes to go and they also looked like a team caught between two game plans.. However, their fighting spirit got them over the line the other day and that's a great sign to see in May. They will improve a lot for the next day and I think in the last couple of years or 1b base meant we were coming into both Tipp games cold and it took us until half time to get going, I expect us to hit the ground running here and i'm gonna back us to win another tight game. TJ and co had us right last year - they aimed for August with their training, including some heavy training the week of the Munster final, and were not far off getting to an All Ireland. I agree the jury is still out but he's slowly going about his business.
    I'd agree with most of that
    Lynch has more in him once they continue to get him ball as he's outstanding absolutely outstanding
    I think tom Ryan as a sub be very good also
    Sunday challenge is an ideal game to try a few regular lads with lot new lads and they should try the sweeper again as they have nothing to loose but kk is the only team in Ireland that take challenge matches serious so there a real test and limerick hsve a great opportunity Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Gaelic Grounds naming rights up for sale...

The JP McManus Gaelic Grounds :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Supermacs Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Whatever about the first one, it would be hard to think that he'd weave through such a tight space; the second one though, had to be hauled down. Might be cynical, but Kilkenny/Clare/Tipp would probably all do it.

As a KK man I'd agree with that and I wouldn't have it any other way. IMO if somebody is going to score a goal against us he's going to have to seriously earn it and not just waltz through the defence. I'd imagine Hennessy was wishing somebody would've stopped Cunningham way before he got into a scoring position. If I recall rightly, the likes of Ryan/Cregan/Hartnett etc did not exactly step aside when their men were bearing down on goal and rightly so...

citykat wrote: »
    As a KK man I'd agree with that and I wouldn't have it any other way. IMO if somebody is going to score a goal against us he's going to have to seriously earn it and not just waltz through the defence. I'd imagine Hennessy was wishing somebody would've stopped Cunningham way before he got into a scoring position. If I recall rightly, the likes of Ryan/Cregan/Hartnett etc did not exactly step aside when their men were bearing down on goal and rightly so...

Obviously Dodge had the same idea in Croker when he tripped the KK man (was it Reid or Power?). But I can think of plenty other goals were the forward was let through too easily- even Hogan's goal on the same day, Wayne Mac should have sent him into the middle of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Obviously Dodge had the same idea in Croker when he tripped the KK man (was it Reid or Power?). But I can think of plenty other goals were the forward was let through too easily- even Hogan's goal on the same day, Wayne Mac should have sent him into the middle of next week.

Twas Richie Power. I think DOG was too overt in his tackle , Power was too far ahead of him. He could've gotten the line. In fairness to WMC, I think he did everything he could have within the law. Anything more, it could have been far worse. In fairness to the lads involved, they were last ditch situations. You need your defenders intervening earlier to be more effective and less punitive i.e. in terms of cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

I am delighted we won the game Sunday but a few things worried me:

6 points, a man up and we done everything within our power to nearly lose the game. We ended up winning by a point and i know a win is a win in the Munster championship but for such an experienced team, we should have been able to see out the match comfortably. There is no excuses for it really. The truly top teams take advantage of these situations and are a bit more cynical and clever than we are. If Kilkenny or Tipp were six points up and a man up Sunday, do you think they would do what we did? I highly doubt it. There is no way we should be conceding a goal straight after we scored one , especially against 14 men. Our defenders should have enough experience to deal with these situations. We need to be more cynical at times. Then again , when did Limerick ever do things the easy way.

Our whole half forward line. I know the game was a bit all over the place but we need more scores from our half forward line and this line needs to be sorted for the Tipp game or we will be destroyed. Being at the game i felt Hannon did nothing but having watched it on TV he layed on a few scores but overall he was poor. We need more from him, he was very poor last year up until the quarter and semi of the all Ireland, the potential is there and he needs to start hurling.

Hickey falling all over the place , is it just me or does anyone else think he goes down way too easy and always seems to be looking for the free. Sometimes, fair enough he is fouled but other times its just laughable. Makes it hard for the ref to know when he is actually fouled.

Our use of the ball in the first half was terrible. Big high ball into Dowling with two men on him. He did his best to compete but he was never going to beat two men to the ball. I know the next day will be 15 on 15, more than likely but we need to get more support beside him.

Lack of goal chances created , we never look like scoring a goal.

Positives to take from Sunday:

I guess the first positive to take from Sunday was that we showed great spirit and fight to win a match that so many other times would have got away from us.

Breaking ball , i felt we won a lot of the 50/50 balls and breaking balls mostly due to James Ryan. Hopefully the next day we can use this ball wisely.

GOM i thought had a great game at centre back, looked composed and had clever use of the ball.

Cian Lynch showed everyone how talented he is and hopefully he keeps performing like that. He adds a new dimension to the team and if we get Hannon and Downes hurling well, we would have a very dangerous forward unit.

Seanie O'Brien, I thought that he played well on his debut and gives us more options at the back which is very important.

I think that we have a few things to improve on but the Game last Sunday will bring this Limerick team on and give us a bit of momentum going into the Tipp game. Tipperary will be very difficult to beat and we will need to be at our best to beat them, a performance like last Sunday won't be enough.

I'd agree with most of that
    Lynch has more in him once they continue to get him ball as he's outstanding absolutely outstanding
    I think tom Ryan as a sub be very good also
    Sunday challenge is an ideal game to try a few regular lads with lot new lads and they should try the sweeper again as they have nothing to loose but kk is the only team in Ireland that take challenge matches serious so there a real test and limerick hsve a great opportunity Sunday

Tom Ryan is gone to the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Vanolder wrote: »
    Tom Ryan is gone to the States.

Already gone?? Not even playing friday evening?

Already gone?? Not even playing friday evening?

Or going... Won't be involved with Limerick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

For what it is worth i was told that T ryan has re joined the panel i have tried to get more info on this but it would be easier to get some info from Stalin on the gulags.Anyway i'll go to a few matches over weekend and try get more info.

For me i was a little bit disappointed with our performance v clare with their missing players i thought we'd put them away easier but after watching it again clare are a serious outfit with loads of talent plus i thought we were sluggish after the bad league plus of course we were missing a few ourselves.If clare had a manager that would let them hurl and could find 2 corner backs they'd be very hard to stop, this messing fitz is doing is holding clare back.I reckon for whatever reason Hickey and r mac were not 100% fit and maybe condon too.

My changes for the tipp game would be S o brien to 2 w mac to 5 p browne to 9 my half forward line would be breen downes pob[hannon] with same full line.I think some players are living off reputation and maybe need a little incentive to improve their game.I think last week was worth 3 weeks good training and am amazed that tipp are strong favourites[ i know there isn't much between them in the bookies but i thought it'd be even money with tipp being slight favs]but i shouldn't be as all the coverage is on clare and how good they could be as i don't think Limerick are being taken too serious just yet and with our recent history they can't be blamed i suppose.If we could drive on from here and beat tipp we'd be in a good place as i feel we were potentially only at 75% last sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Tobin's red not being rescinded. I fear this leaves us a bit weak with forward options to bring in off the bench for the next day, you're looking at T Morrissey, Reidy, Adrian Breen; Downes you'd hope would be starting and Breen will hardly be fit - Tobin's experience made him the stand-out player to introduce.

Paddy O'Loughlin scored a hat-trick tonight for Kilmallock by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Na Piarsigh beat Ballybrown by 6
    2-18 to 0-18

Three decent points for Kevin Downes on his first match back. Looked sluggish early on and not too sharp, but showed glimpses of his ability in the second half, lovely pass to Dowling (for a wide). Big ask but three weeks training should see him ready to play some part in the Tipp game. Breen will be back fit the week before the Tipp game. Might be too much to expect either to start. Adrian Breen looked very sharp, excellent goal and point. King was prominent in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Liberties well beaten by Kilmallock game was pedestrian O mahony most prominent for me T ryan anonymous most were going through the motions as everyone believed there was only going to be one result.Fine crowd there though.Ahane beat Effin by one after leading by I think 6-7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Adare will beat Croom? for the weekend accumulator lads :)

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Adare will beat Croom? for the weekend accumulator lads :)

They should. But I'd have expected them to beat Ballybrown last time too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement