Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Galway- 5 goals
    Waterford- 3 goals

Admittedly, both against lacklustre defences but that's how you put a team to the sword. Limerick did it against Wexford last year and we romped home. Goals win games and we won't get near an All-Ireland or even a Munster without an ability to get goals. Sometimes you just have to take the risk and go for it, and I think Mulcahy/Lynch/whoever should be encouraged to go for it if they see the opportunity.

You really have to take into account how poor both defences were. Mannion had taken Schutte for 3 goals before Dublin realised he could barely walk and Cork practically invited Waterford in yesterday, comical stuff.

But of course on the basic point you are right. Wexford are the one team we've bagged goals against in recent times, both in the league and championship. Outside of that, it is our major, major failing.

Away to Tyrone in the football. Looks like it will be a short year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Tyrone away! Call it off. If we lose by less than 10 it'll be an acheivement.

Tipp game is vital to win. Qualifiers look already frought with danger and if we could put Tipp in there it would do our All Ireland ambitions no harm at all as then only 2 of Dublin, Cork, Clare, probably Wexford and hopefully Tipp would make the last 6. (I know I've struck Laois, Westmeath and Offaly off although our record against Offaly is crap as well.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

walsh
    richie
    seamus
    SOB
    Wayne
    Condon

if GOM is out that leaves king and morrissey as backs subs right? or have I forgotten someone. Will dodge be a back or does someone have to be added to the squad at this stage? English/Lynch?

Rough on the footballers, but hope they have a real go at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

walsh
    richie
    seamus
    SOB
    Wayne
    Condon

if GOM is out that leaves king and morrissey as backs subs right? or have I forgotten someone. Will dodge be a back or does someone have to be added to the squad at this stage? English/Lynch?

Rough on the footballers, but hope they have a real go at the same time.

I suppose we could turn to Paudie or Jim-Bob if we were in an emergency. Allis has been playing there but I'm not sure I'd trust him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Saw a post on the HoganStand that Richie has a shoulder injury..
    Could be BS too..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Saw a post on the HoganStand that Richie has a shoulder injury..
    Could be BS too..

I'd say it is the latter alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I'm led to believe we will be short two players at most but there is concern over how ready some of those on the way back are going to be. Preparations very badly hit, going to be a lot of rusty players on the pitch. Most the injuries not exactly our fault but playing that challenge match last Sunday night (against Kilkenny of all opposition) with all the players having played club championship within the previous 48 hours? Madness.

I'm led to believe we will be short two players at most but there is concern over how ready some of those on the way back are going to be. Preparations very badly hit, going to be a lot of rusty players on the pitch. Most the injuries not exactly our fault but playing that challenge match last Sunday night (against Kilkenny of all opposition) with all the players having played club championship within the previous 48 hours? Madness.

Absolutely, even from a recovery perspective was nuts, your always likely to pick up injuries when your already stressed. Though 2 injuries were from dirty kk play.

Is that 2 players in total, or 2 players further from the Clare game? I don't expect Quaid or Breen to be back that soon.

Lots of rumours about Tipp injuries too- Cathal Barrett seems to be the one that is sticking the most. He's a fine player but Tipp have lots of players who can play in the backs, no one would complain about having to play Stapleton & Cahill as corner-backs.

It'll be interesting to see how Tipp line out in the midfield and half-forward lines. I know it was very close last year, but our midfield definitely outhurled theirs, they missed Woodlock a lot. We will surely bring serious work rate at the very least and Tipp will have to match that. They were seriously intense in the AI finals, but it will be interesting to see where they select Brendan Maher and Kieran Bergin. Personally, I think Maher is best at midfield but he seems to be down the pecking order there, and I'm not sure I'd have Bergin in my strongest Tipp 15 but he does have his uses.

You could definitely say it's Tipp's strongest panel in a while, they have a lot of options on the bench now too. Even without Noel McGrath, they'll have players to call on. John Meagher is a serious hurler, Michael Breen and John McGrath were both introduced and did really well during the league. You have a fit Niall O'Meara and Gar Ryan; Ronan & Denis Maher and Jason Forde are all a year older and can now probably be trusted to start Championship games.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Tobin appealing his red card again, it shows how thread bare our squad is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

francozola wrote: »
    Tobin appealing his red card again, it shows how thread bare our squad is.

Or maybe he just feels he didn't deserve the red card,i don't agree by the way that or squad is threadbare

Didn't know you could do two appeals.

I'm not sure I'd call our squad threadbare, but with an injury to Breen and Downes still returning from fitness and Dodge possibly not having the legs for 70 minutes; Tobin is a serious, serious option to have and we would be a lot weaker without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Didn't know you could do two appeals.

QUOTE]

You can actually appeal 3 times, first appeal to Hearings Committee, second appeal to Appeals Committee and finally another appeal to the DRA whose decison is then final. DRA are external and independent.

Tobin is appealing because he is adamant it wasn't a red card and that he didn't strike the man. It's that simple.

He may have difficulty proving it however. I don't believe it was a red card at all, and that it was a classic case of the referee looking to make up for giving Clare the red card. But that view counts for nothing, the tv evidence is all that matters. And while it doesn't directly show the alleged strike, it does strongly suggest and imply one, and by the letter of the law the referee can stand over his decision, and the authorities can back the referee.

I wish Tobin well with this but the odds are not in his favour in my opinion.

Tobin's actions are in no way a commentary of the strength of our squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Tobin lost appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Vanolder wrote: »
    Tobin lost appeal.

I look forward to refs giving reds for all similar incidents this championship and for all appeals to be rejected so as not to undermine referees. Somehow don't think it will happen though

Vanolder wrote: »
    Tobin lost appeal.

He can still bring it to the DRA, it's his final remaining option but he has ten days so worth giving it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Jerome O'Connell has reported that they are not taking it to the DRA

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Any word from camp? Are we going to see Browne returned to midfield and a more orthodox half forward line or will the same team be picked again? Wayne to come back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Browney7 wrote: »
    I look forward to refs giving reds for all similar incidents this championship and for all appeals to be rejected so as not to undermine referees. Somehow don't think it will happen though

It's the GAA isn't it though, pat Horgan and Henry shefflins Reds were rescinded fairly quickly after the Sunday game caused a fuss and all the columnists came out batting for them, when it's a limerick sub nobody cares, even the Sunday games lads couldn't give a toss enough bar to say it was harsh but was the letter of the law, as were the incidents with the lads above...

• Advertisement

Mehapoy wrote: »
    It's the GAA isn't it though, pat Horgan and Henry shefflins Reds were rescinded fairly quickly after the Sunday game caused a fuss and all the columnists came out batting for them, when it's a limerick sub nobody cares, even the Sunday games lads couldn't give a toss enough bar to say it was harsh but was the letter of the law, as were the incidents with the lads above...

Horgan's was nowhere near a red card in my opinion, and it being rescinded was probably aided by Paudie coming out and saying it was the impact of the sliothar that made him go down. Tobin's incident was off the ball and Pat O'Connor went down like he'd been mortally wounded. Personally, I would sooner give a red to O'Connor for simulation than Tobin for his part in a fairly harmless jostling match, but dems not the rules.

On refereeing, I see that Brian Gavin is down for the Tipp game and this is being broadly welcomed. I'd be interested to see the free-count for Gavin's matches against other referees; Gavin is a ref that likes to "let things flow". In a good few games in recent years we've been surviving on Dowling frees, the Tipp game last year being a case in point. We really need the likes of Hannon and Downes to step up and chip in with scores from play.

Examiner saying everyone fit bar nicky. Still having 8 players who've missed large parts of training and tobin suspended isnt the best shape to be going into sunday week.

Am a bit doubtful for tipp tbh, if callinan is a bit more clinical than the last few years and forde adds to their forwards then tipp should win. Hickey and richie still arent at the top of their games and I can see us conceding a couple of goals more than we score which as everyone has pointed out is our biggest weakness at this stage.

Some good ball into the forwards and a comprehensive victory at midfield will be needed if we are to win, but just see tipp goals edging it.

Examiner saying everyone fit bar nicky. Still having 8 players who've missed large parts of training and tobin suspended isnt the best shape to be going into sunday week.

Am a bit doubtful for tipp tbh, if callinan is a bit more clinical than the last few years and forde adds to their forwards then tipp should win. Hickey and richie still arent at the top of their games and I can see us conceding a couple of goals more than we score which as everyone has pointed out is our biggest weakness at this stage.

Some good ball into the forwards and a comprehensive victory at midfield will be needed if we are to win, but just see tipp goals edging it.

By and large I agree with that, but one thing in our favour is that by all accounts Tipp are in a similar situation with injuries. Barrett possibly out, Barry has hardly any hurling done this year - the full-back line is there to be targeted, imo. Noel McGrath out also. I'm just hoping that we don't rush someone back that isn't fully fit - Dublin did that against Galway and paid a heavy, heavy price.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

By and large I agree with that, but one thing in our favour is that by all accounts Tipp are in a similar situation with injuries. Barrett possibly out, Barry has hardly any hurling done this year - the full-back line is there to be targeted, imo. Noel McGrath out also. I'm just hoping that we don't rush someone back that isn't fully fit - Dublin did that against Galway and paid a heavy, heavy price.

Ya both panels have struggled with injuries for the last 6 weeks or so. On the Tipp side, Barrett looks near certain to miss out, Bergin, Barry & Bubbles all missed a fair chunk through injury and Mickey Cahill is also only coming back also. Paudie Maher missed a few weeks with an infection in his knee which hospitalized him for a couple of nights. All have been back in action lately though so should be okay for Limerick match but similarly to Limerick it was not ideal preparation.

I am not sure if Gavin reffing is a good thing for Tipp. We often come out on the wrong side of results when he is in charge but then again you would imagine he might let a lot go which might suit our backs as they have a tendency to foul a lot. I think the free count from last year was 18-6 in favour of Limerick with Kelly in charge. If we can even that stat up a bit I think we should have enough to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

If we were to look at Waterford and who they have brought through in last yr or two the future for our panel has to look promising considering we played that superb Waterford minor team over two yrs with our record being one draw and two wins.This time next yr we could have additions to the panel of the following[in no order]

B Nash
    S Flanagan
    le touche
    R lynch
    C Ryan
    S finn
    M casey
    R English

There's probably more and i'm not for one second suggesting any of the above are guaranteed to make it but they are good prospects

dcrosskid wrote: »
    I am not sure if Gavin reffing is a good thing for Tipp. We often come out on the wrong side of results when he is in charge but then again you would imagine he might let a lot go which might suit our backs as they have a tendency to foul a lot. I think the free count from last year was 18-6 in favour of Limerick with Kelly in charge. If we can even that stat up a bit I think we should have enough to win.

I'd disagree with this actually, I think we have one of the best set of backs in the country as regards fouling, very few stupid fouls are given away. Tipp gave away a hape of stupid frees last year when they really didn't need to.

I'd disagree with this actually, I think we have one of the best set of backs in the country as regards fouling, very few stupid fouls are given away. Tipp gave away a hape of stupid frees last year when they really didn't need to.

Sorry I thought it was obvious that I was from Tipp so when I said "we" I ment Tipp!!:D

dcrosskid wrote: »
    Sorry I thought it was obvious that I was from Tipp so when I said "we" I ment Tipp!!:D

Ah, my apologies, makes more sense now I read it back. :D Any idea what Tipp team is likely to line out, ye are the ones in the long grass this year for a change.

Ah, my apologies, makes more sense now I read it back. :D Any idea what Tipp team is likely to line out, ye are the ones in the long grass this year for a change.

How I see us lining out is

Gleeson, Paddy Stapleton, James Barry, Micky Cahill, Ronan Maher, Paudie Maher, Kieran Bergin, James Woodlock, Mickey Breen, Bonnar Maher, Brendan Maher, Bubbles, Niall O Meara, Callinan & John McGrath.

Forwards might be totally different with Forde & Lar possible starters also & I know many want O Mahonney at full back also.

It makes for a welcome change not to be the main focus coming into the championship. Little enough talk coming from the camp unlike other years where 2 or 3 lads seemed to be making headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

May be the very wrong place to ask this, but anyone have an idea of a pub in Paris I'd be able to catch the game Sunday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement