Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

dcrosskid wrote: »
    How I see us lining out is

Gleeson, Paddy Stapleton, James Barry, Micky Cahill, Ronan Maher, Paudie Maher, Kieran Bergin, James Woodlock, Mickey Breen, Bonnar Maher, Brendan Maher, Bubbles, Niall O Meara, Callinan & John McGrath.

Forwards might be totally different with Forde & Lar possible starters also & I know many want O Mahonney at full back also.

It makes for a welcome change not to be the main focus coming into the championship. Little enough talk coming from the camp unlike other years where 2 or 3 lads seemed to be making headlines.

I know tipp will be favourites and prob will always be v limk but i think that team dcrosskid can be got at by limk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Wonder how many will go to this. Would be great to see around 40k but it'll probably end up closer to 30k.

Anyway here's to a win for my adopted hurling county! COYBIG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Closer to 25k I reckon, maybe even 20k?

This is going to be a long week waiting for that team announcement! There's uncertainty over so many players and positions, things have been nice and quiet from the camp and I gather the players are in good spirits.

I'm not worried about the prospect of being without a few players, but I am concerned that although some players will be declared fit this week, will they be fully match ready? Ideally you want your players flying fit in training for at least two or three weeks before the main event. We've seen plenty of lads return from injury this year only to be a little rusty for their first game or two back.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Gonna be very interesting to see what the team is. Wayne Mc and Downes could both be ready to come in which I'd like to see, Breen may be ready too. Personally I'd start Wayne wing back with a toss up between Walsh and O'Brien in the corner, can't call that one, O'Brien brings great pace but Walsh is the steadier defender, I think I'd lean towards Walsh unless we are expecting Tipp to have a speed merchant corner forward. If Downes is fit and in form he starts every time for me, he should be close to ready by now too. I'd restore Browne to midfield and start Downes for O'Brien or O'Grady, both are favourites of TJ though I reckon so not sure the likelihood of that.

Closer to 25k I reckon, maybe even 20k?

This is going to be a long week waiting for that team announcement! There's uncertainty over so many players and positions, things have been nice and quiet from the camp and I gather the players are in good spirits.

I'm not worried about the prospect of being without a few players, but I am concerned that although some players will be declared fit this week, will they be fully match ready? Ideally you want your players flying fit in training for at least two or three weeks before the main event. We've seen plenty of lads return from injury this year only to be a little rusty for their first game or two back.

Can't see how you think it could be 20k when in 2013 when we weren't expecting much 25k came.For me 30-35k will attend

• Advertisement

lim4ev wrote: »
    Can't see how you think it could be 20k when in 2013 when we weren't expecting much 25k came.For me 30-35k will attend

I'd expect 30 anyway

lim4ev wrote: »

I also said 25k, which as you said is exactly what came in 2013, so maybe that will help you see how I think that!

Limerick fans don't travel in large numbers unless they sniff success or a big occasion. Tipp are favourites and we have a ridiculous injury situation. I'll be very surprised if more than 25k. The turnout at the Clare game was nothing special at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Limerick greatly outnumbered Tipp on both occasions. It won't happen this Sunday as the AI winners elect will bring a huge support with them from the premier county.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Vanolder wrote: »
    Limerick greatly outnumbered Tipp on both occasions. It won't happen this Sunday as the AI winners elect will bring a huge support with them from the premier county.

You're not serious surely..
    Elect?..

Troll better if you're going to troll..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

I reckon there'll be a sizeable crowd at this, 30-35k for me as well. Match already played so the bandwagon is in gear.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    You're not serious surely..
    Elect?..

Troll better if you're going to troll..

What? Tipperary are the bookies favourites for Munster and the AI?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 The growler

I also said 25k, which as you said is exactly what came in 2013, so maybe that will help you see how I think that!

Limerick fans don't travel in large numbers unless they sniff success or a big occasion. Tipp are favourites and we have a ridiculous injury situation. I'll be very surprised if more than 25k. The turnout at the Clare game was nothing special at all.

You're being very harsh on Limerick fans there (and I'm from Tipp). In my opinion they are the best fans in the country, they turn up in large numbers year after year, it doesn't matter how good the team is. I'm surprised there was only 19k at the 2013 game between the counties although Limerick fans still outnumbered Tipp and did so last year also.

If you want to see sunshine supporters have a look at Wexford especially and to a lesser extent Waterford and Clare. I remember the Wexford chairman telling us all last year they were the best fans in the country and deserved more tickets for the AI quarter finals. Their fans were nowhere to be seen for a few years until they beat Clare last year.

Regarding the ridiculous injury situation Tipp aren't much better. Looks like Bubbles is now out and Barrett very doubtful. Add to that Lar, John McGrath and Noel McGrath. Michael Cahill and James Barry saw very little league action. The teams will be well matched. 50/50 game.

You're being very harsh on Limerick fans there (and I'm from Tipp). In my opinion they are the best fans in the country, they turn up in large numbers year after year, it doesn't matter how good the team is. I'm surprised there was only 19k at the 2013 game between the counties although Limerick fans still outnumbered Tipp and did so last year also.

If you want to see sunshine supporters have a look at Wexford especially and to a lesser extent Waterford and Clare. I remember the Wexford chairman telling us all last year they were the best fans in the country and deserved more tickets for the AI quarter finals. Their fans were nowhere to be seen for a few years until they beat Clare last year.

Regarding the ridiculous injury situation Tipp aren't much better. Looks like Bubbles is now out and Barrett very doubtful. Add to that Lar, John McGrath and Noel McGrath. Michael Cahill and James Barry saw very little league action. The teams will be well matched. 50/50 game.

Limerick always bring numbers. Always.

Well, having gone to the majority of league games over the last few years I always find myself disappointed at turnout in league games. I just find this notion that our support is any better than other counties to be nonsense. We're no better or worse than any other county.

When we won the Munster final in 2013 our support was lauded and the pitch invasion was hailed as a great sight. However many forget that that was almost five years to the day after a disturbingly large amount of scumbags booed them off that very same pitch at half time and at full time when we were knocked out by Offaly. I've never been so disgusted in all my time following the county.

Zombie

Limerick always have a great support when you consider what we have won in last god knows how many yrs I know they came out with 19000 in 2013 but i'm sure you were there and there was 22-25k imo of course that's just a guess and that was 2013 since then we have beaten them in thurles and ran kk very close and that's the sniff you talk about and that's why in my view there will be 30=35k there on sunday, we'll turn up in huge numbers.For me the breakdown will be 20k from limk 12k from tipp and 3k neutrals roughly speaking.
    Anyway the attendance is not here nor there who will win the match is the big question and forgetting injuries I can't call it,it may take a stroke of genius from some player to win it for either county.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Less than a week to go and we're going for three in a row. But we need a huge improvement if we are to beat Tipp.

But injuries could decide it, both teams seem to be struggling, and whoever fields closer to a full-strength team could win it. At home, we'll have a bit of an advantage but then again, Tipp will be hurting after losing to us twice in a row. I think they have a bit of a point to prove... I know they got to an All-Ireland final last year and were very close to winning it but if they were to lose to us again, I'm sure hard questions would be asked. They probably feel they have the better hurlers.

We still need to secure the space between our half-back and full-back lines and we either put a sweeper there or drop the half-back line deep. Cunningham had too much space for his two goals. And we simply have to feed Mulcahy better ball, he has the potential to cause havoc but not if he doesn't get the ball.

Some big problems and some players really have to step up. I do think Tipp are a team that suit our style, Richie Mc likes a full-forward like Callanan, Jim-Bob and Browne will definitely fancy their chances in midfield, Dowling has tended to play very well against them too. Their movement in attack could cause us big problems so we better hope that Hickey is fully fit this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

By all accounts EOS was on Tipp FM earlier and the only player definitely ruled out was John Maher, so despite all the injury worries it looks as though both sides will have nearly full panels to choose from. The question is how close to full fitness both squads will be and how much work will they have been able to get done over the past number of weeks. Will be very,very interesting to see what team Teege names here, particularly in the half-forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

bennyl10 wrote: »
    May be the very wrong place to ask this, but anyone have an idea of a pub in Paris I'd be able to catch the game Sunday?

Maybe here!

http://www.kittyosheas.com/james_joyce_paris.asp

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

2013:

Limerick: N Quaid; S Walsh, R McCarthy, T Condon; P O’Brien, W McNamara, G O’Mahony; P Browne, D O’Grady; S Hickey, D Breen, J Ryan; G Mulcahy, D Hannon, S Tobin.
    Subs: C Allis for Breen (42), S Dowling for Hickey (49), N Moran for Tobin (61), C King for Browne (66), K Downes for Ryan (69).

Tipperary: B Cummins; P Stapleton, P Curran, M Cahill; K Bergin, C O’Mahony, Pádraic Maher; B Maher, S McGrath; P Bourke, Patrick Maher, J O’Brien; S Bourke, S Callanan, N McGrath.
    Subs: J O’Dwyer for S Bourke (half-time), E Kelly for P Bourke (44), B O’Meara for Callanan (49), C O’Brien for S McGrath (64), L Corbett for B Maher (67).

Looking at the team two years ago, we're arguably stronger in every line if everyone is fit, apart from goalie. Completely different system though, which is what made that team difficult to beat.

• Advertisement

Over 21k already sold - this will easily be a 30k attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

2013:

Limerick: N Quaid; S Walsh, R McCarthy, T Condon; P O’Brien, W McNamara, G O’Mahony; P Browne, D O’Grady; S Hickey, D Breen, J Ryan; G Mulcahy, D Hannon, S Tobin.
    Subs: C Allis for Breen (42), S Dowling for Hickey (49), N Moran for Tobin (61), C King for Browne (66), K Downes for Ryan (69).

Tipperary: B Cummins; P Stapleton, P Curran, M Cahill; K Bergin, C O’Mahony, Pádraic Maher; B Maher, S McGrath; P Bourke, Patrick Maher, J O’Brien; S Bourke, S Callanan, N McGrath.
    Subs: J O’Dwyer for S Bourke (half-time), E Kelly for P Bourke (44), B O’Meara for Callanan (49), C O’Brien for S McGrath (64), L Corbett for B Maher (67).

Looking at the team two years ago, we're arguably stronger in every line if everyone is fit, apart from goalie. Completely different system though, which is what made that team difficult to beat.

I'd agree that we are stronger in every position, on paper at least. I would say though that while that half-forward line drew a lot of criticism at the time, they were quite effective and our current half-forward line is possibly underperforming. Hickey basically played as a sweeper and all three worked their arses off.

You could argue that the bench then was stronger, if just because of Dowling.

Of course, Tipp are probably a stronger and more balanced outfit now too. Callanan has really stepped up over the past two years, Bubbles is now a key player and I would never have been a huge fan of Shane Bourke.

I don't think we're actually stronger at all, (we're more or less the same but with added experience) though we do have more depth. Certain players have not exactly developed as we would have hoped a few years ago, I hate to pick on individuals but we could all identify a few forwards who have yet to fulfill their potential despite being around the best part of five years now, and some arguably had a greater impact when they first came on the scene than they have in the last 2 to 3 years. On the flip side, these guys are on the right side of 25 years old so time still very much on their side. Going to learn a lot about where exactly we're at this weekend. If we come through this I'm going to be very optimistic about All-Ireland prospects.

One thing I have absolute faith in is the character of this group of players. I've never felt pride in a team quite like I did after the Kilkenny game. We went toe to toe with them, both teams battered the sh1t out of each other for twelve rounds and they won on points. These guys have bottle, bottle is an important ingredient but only one of many required. I still believe the messy injury situation and the disruption it caused to our preparations will swing it in favour of a Tipp panel who will be desperate to get one over on us after the last two years. But one annoying cliché about Limerick hurling is the favourite tag does not rest well on our shoulders, I wouldn't bet on it, but at the same time I wouldn't be too surprised to see us produce one of those ambush backs to the wall victories we sometimes produce in these situations. Looking forward to it either way!

Team prediction:

Hennessy,
    Hickey, McCarthy, Walsh,
    McNamara, O'Mahony, Condon,
    Ryan, O'Brien,
    Downes, Hannon, Browne,
    Mulcahy, Dowling, Lynch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

22,000 tickets already sold for match on Sunday. Only terrace left and likely to breach 30,000 easily. That will be the biggest crowd for a Munster Semi Final in years

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Team prediction:

Hennessy,
    Hickey, McCarthy, Walsh,
    McNamara, O'Mahony, Condon,
    Ryan, O'Brien,
    Downes, Hannon, Browne,
    Mulcahy, Dowling, Lynch
    How can you genuinely look to have Hannon playing after the performance's he has given so far this year! !! He has gone hiding in every big match since clare in coke park, he is the biggest passenger limerick are carrying . Dodge at least gives you a bit of honesty, be honest and think about the last time he has performed for limerick or even adare for that matter, John fitzgibbon is top performer this year for adare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    How can you genuinely look to have Hannon playing after the performance's he has given so far this year! !! He has gone hiding in every big match since clare in coke park, he is the biggest passenger limerick are carrying . Dodge at least gives you a bit of honesty, be honest and think about the last time he has performed for limerick or even adare for that matter, John fitzgibbon is top performer this year for adare.

One simple reason. He's Declan Hannon

Stonehall9 wrote: »

How was he in all Ireland semi v Kilkenny? Idiotic post.

We'll revisit this one after the Tipp game.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Nothing idiotic about it boy.it's true, how can you have a center forward who didn't touch the ball against clare till the 42 minute, against kk last year fair enough ill give you that, how many different positions was he tried in against Dublin in the league and couldn't get a touch of the ball, hasn't , much as I'd like to say he has, but hasn't preformed all year for limerick

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be as hard on hannon as the other poster but he does raise some valid points and this is coming from a supporter who always would have stated because he's declan hannon,For me he needs to up it big time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement