Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I think its never good to have a player who appears to be undroppable regardless of their form, we have about nine forwards of a decent standard so it really should come down to picking the best six, regardless of captaincy or potential or anything else. When I say captaincy, I'm not for a second suggesting the only reason O'Grady is starting is due to being captain. I'm happy to see him being started though I'm not sure he's a 70 minute player any longer.

Hannon had an unusual game against Clare, normally he'll still pick off three or four points when he's quiet, he's the type of player who might only claim possession three or four times a game and hit it over the bar every time. He can appear somewhat static but I think he's deceptive in that respect, he's not the fastest so he can appear to be somewhat casual but I think its as simple as his positional sense isn't the best. Some players have a good sense of where to make their runs and some have a better read of the game than others. Hannon tends to wander into space but not often in such a way that makes him an easy option to pick out for the man in possession. He can almost appear to be in hiding but no player does that at this level, you wouldn't get within an asses roar of an inter county panel if you did. Hannon a terrific stickman but his off the ball movement in an attacking sense could be better. But I believe its up to the management to figure out a way best to deploy him and to give the team various options to bring him into the game.

I can see why he wouldn't be dropped, but bring dropped isn't such a terrible thing, because in his case he would be an excellent sub to bring on. It's a squad game now, the likes of Dowling and Downes have performed the sub role very effectively in the past, and Tobin was flying it earlier this year after a prolonged spell out of the starting XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I think its never good to have a player who appears to be undroppable regardless of their form, we have about nine forwards of a decent standard so it really should come down to picking the best six, regardless of captaincy or potential or anything else. When I say captaincy, I'm not for a second suggesting the only reason O'Grady is starting is due to being captain. I'm happy to see him being started though I'm not sure he's a 70 minute player any longer.

Hannon had an unusual game against Clare, normally he'll still pick off three or four points when he's quiet, he's the type of player who might only claim possession three or four times a game and hit it over the bar every time. He can appear somewhat static but I think he's deceptive in that respect, he's not the fastest so he can appear to be somewhat casual but I think its as simple as his positional sense isn't the best. Some players have a good sense of where to make their ruins and some have a better read of the game than others. Hannon tends to wander into space but not often in such a way that makes him an easy option to pick out for the man in possession. He can almost appear to be in hiding but no player does that at this level, you wouldn't get within an asses roar of an inter county panel if you did. Hannon a terrific stickman but his off the ball movement in an attacking sense could be better. But I believe its up to the management to figure out a way best to deploy him and to give the team various options to bring him into the game.

I can see why he wouldn't be dropped, but bring dropped isn't such a terrible thing, because in his case he would be an excellent sub to bring on. It's a squad game now, the likes of Dowling and Downes have performed the sub role very effectively in the past, and Tobin was flying it earlier this year after a prolonged spell out of the starting XV.

Couldn't agree more it would be unthinkable normally for me to suggest omitting Hannon and in fairness to him considering him and his opposite number the last day tony kelly were largely annoymous because i guess of the tactics he prob deserves the nod but i'd be loath to drop O grady though like you for me he isn't a 70 min man anymore

Tom Morrissey to start at full forward for the Intermediate team, I wonder does that mean a few changes have been made to the senior panel?

It suggests that the senior management aren't too worried about the injury situation in the forwards if they are willing to let him switch to the intermediates. If they were worried they surely would have kept him in reserve.

No starting place for Mike Fitzgerald despite having a positive influence when he came off the bench the last day. Two changes in total from the Clare game; Morrissey in for Mikey Ryan in the full forward line, and Darragh O'Donovan in for William Hickey.

Brian Murray (Patrickswell)
    Seán Finn (Bruff)
    Barry O’Connell (Kildimo Pallaskenry)
    Mike Reidy (Dromin Athlacca)
    Denis Moloney (Doon)
    Diarmuid Byrnes (Patrickswell)
    Barry Lynch (Feohanagh)
    Robert O’Donnell (Pallasgreen)
    Andrew Brennan (Caherline)
    Darragh O’Donovan (Doon)
    Kevin O’Brien (Patrickswell)
    Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    Willie Griffin (Adare)(C)
    Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    Mike Fitzgibbon (Feohanagh)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Kevin o'brien wasted at centre forward. 4 goals in 2 games at full forward for club, deadly in front of goal. Would prefer a full forward line of griffin, o'brien, morrisey

I stumbled upon the Limerick minors in Sixmilebridge just now playing a challenge game against the Sixmilebridge seniors. Couldn't stay for long but they were ahead with about ten minutes left, scored a nice goal while I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Wayne in for O'Brien and Downes in for Dodge... The rest as you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

My tuppence - the pace of the game is so fast now that if a player isn't really quick over the first 5 yards the are at a disadvantage, so for all the qualities that Dodge and Deccie have (and they have a lot) that pace isn't among them, IMO playing both in the same line on a dry fast day isn't ideal, plus having Paudie in and around the same area means there is a shortage of pace in the middle that can be hard to compensate for.

LMK wrote: »
    My tuppence - the pace of the game is so fast now that if a player isn't really quick over the first 5 yards the are at a disadvantage, so for all the qualities that Dodge and Deccie have (and they have a lot) that pace isn't among them, IMO playing both in the same line on a dry fast day isn't ideal, plus having Paudie in and around the same area means there is a shortage of pace in the middle that can be hard to compensate for.

Downes is in for Dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Vanolder wrote: »

Nope

Unless there's a late change, i don't think the above is correct. We'll see tonight anyway

• Advertisement

Any park and ride buses around this sunday for the match? Mike Hynan usually does 1 from South Court but i'm living out towards Castletroy/Annacotty now so wondering if there's anything going from ul or kilmurry lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Over 21k already sold - this will easily be a 30k attendance.

All 22k stand tickets sold out. Each terrace holds about 13k so you'd imagine the Limerick end will be at least 3/4's full and the tipp end half full anyway.

Would suggest circa 40k. Would be immense, and the atmosphere will be electric for the neutral like myself!

Here's to a last minute Limerick winner ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    All 22k stand tickets sold out. Each terrace holds about 13k so you'd imagine the Limerick end will be at least 3/4's full and the tipp end half full anyway.

Would suggest circa 40k. Would be immense, and the atmosphere will be electric for the neutral like myself!

Here's to a last minute Limerick winner ;-)
    Anyone know which end is Limerick and which is tipperary? Presuming city end is Limerick and Clare end tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Anyone know which end is Limerick and which is tipperary? Presuming city end is Limerick and Clare end tipp

Correct, although I'd imagine there'll end up being a good few from Limk in Clare End as well.

The key questions for me is [1] will Richie hold Callinan,[2]was Hickey's poor showing v clare a blip or something more permanent and [3]Hannon's form if we get a positive from 2 out of 3 of these questions we should prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Richie holding Callinan is not just Richie's job, we need to keep space to a premium again between the full and half back lines as Callinan is dangerous on any ball played into space, he's deceptively fast. If the ball is played direct on top of them you'd be confident that Richie won't be turned.

Outside of that I'm just eager to hear the starting 15, particularly wrt the half-forward line. It should tell a lot more about whether we are going to try and contain Tipp at first or if we are going for glory.

Richie holding Callinan is not just Richie's job, we need to keep space to a premium again between the full and half back lines as Callinan is dangerous on any ball played into space, he's deceptively fast. If the ball is played direct on top of them you'd be confident that Richie won't be turned.

Outside of that I'm just eager to hear the starting 15, particularly wrt the half-forward line. It should tell a lot more about whether we are going to try and contain Tipp at first or if we are going for glory.

I'm as interested in the full back line surely walsh won't start?Half forward line the one i'd like is dog,hannon and downes with downes rotating with dowling every so often but that's not going to happen

1 change for Sunday. Breen in for Browne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Would have picked wayne myself, worried about tipp half forwards winning a lot of ball and us conceding goals, if we get goals we win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Would have picked wayne myself, worried about tipp half forwards winning a lot of ball and us conceding goals, if we get goals we win

If we don't thump the ball down on top of them they won't be able to win it! Breen will hopefully provide an aerial option there for some puck outs and combined with mid range ones to midfield and working the odd one out from short.

Imagine the plan as always will be to create space for dowling and Mulcahy.

Interesting to see if we drop back someone in front of callinan. Winning and losing of this game could be midfield. Tipp really missed woodlock last year against us and we could really miss Browne.

If you go through the teams there is a lot of fifty fifty battles. If Dowling can win some early ball off James Barry it could be crucial for us. Big game for Cian Lynch, the element of surprise is well and truly gone so a big test for him Sunday.

Hopefully the sight of the blue and gold can bring out the ability we all know Declan Hannon has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Presumably it's Browne's injury that has ruled him out, such an important player for us. He's a huge loss, that will see Paudie drop deeper than he was the last day and he'll have a big role to fulfil. Dodge might end up playing the role he was playing the last day. Breen will at least give us a bit of physicality, but he's not been back long; thought Downes might make it.

I'm glad Seanie O'Brien held his place but it'll be a different test for him against Tipp. Gavin against Bonner, tough battle for Gavin, Bonner is probably the best in the country at what he does.

That team doesn't instill confidence but we know who we are and what we are capable of.... I'd imagine the like of Breen, Dodge and SOB will be told to run themselves ragged for 40-50 mins before introducing subs... this is where Tobin could be a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Just wondering if there is a match on before the seniors tomorrow, or is it just the seniors?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Just wondering if there is a match on before the seniors tomorrow, or is it just the seniors?

Intermediates play Tipp @ 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Intermediates play Tipp @ 2

Thank you, will bring the kids in to see that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Yeah on a broiling hot day seanie would have been a great player to bring on, shame for himself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Has anyone heard the bench?

Presumably Browne isn't fit enough for the bench either, Tom Morrissey is playing for the intermediates, Tobin is now suspended too, although Breen is back.

I actually can't remember the full bench from the last day but presumably Murphy is our main sub goalie, Wayne & Dan are our back subs, Fitzgibbon for midfield and Downes & Reidy up front. That's 5 anyway.

The other 5 will probably be King, Allis, Adrian Breen, Tommy O'Brien and Begley? As far as I know that's the whole squad... we are a bit light on defensive subs, especially in the full-back line, not sure I'd have faith in King coming in there given what we've seen in the league so Condon or Seanie would have to go back there and bring in a half-back.

Also up front, did Reidy even get a run the last day? I'd like to see some faith in him, I'd certainly like to see Downes a lot earlier, he's a proper impact sub. The rest though... not really top class, although Breen and O'Brien have both been in good form in the club Championship. But I'd take Tom Morrissey over both tbqh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Half forward line are non existent

Bench; Murphy, McNamara, D.Morrissey, Allis, King, Browne, Fitzgibbon, Reidy, Downes, T.O'Brien, A.Breen.

I don't think it matters who we bring on, Tipp exploiting the ever present weakness of the space in our defence. A third midfielder is no good once the ball goes in between the half and full back lines. Seanie O'Brien aside, our defence lacks pace, the rest all the wrong side of 26, good individual players but its not knitting together. Can't handle a dynamic forward unit.

Tipp can afford to be patient, unless we start scoring goals they can manage this lead, they'll get their chances, we're not tight enough to keep their score low in this half.

• Advertisement

Something special needed, here's hoping. Luimneach abú

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement