Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

chatjunkie wrote: »
    E

How did Geary go at full back?

I was at it, and to be honest it wasn't a game where either full-back line was overly tested. I'd worry about Geary at 3 on a hard pitch with a pacy full-forward line, especially when if Richie McCarthy was also there, as was the case on Sunday.

Best on the day were probably Hickey at 6, Dowling at 12, Allis and Tommy O'Brien in midfield and Sean Tobin when moved out to the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

is that the youngest of the Tobin borthers? is the older fella still on the panel, Pat i think his name is?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The Lopper wrote: »
    I was at it, and to be honest it wasn't a game where either full-back line was overly tested. I'd worry about Geary at 3 on a hard pitch with a pacy full-forward line, especially when if Richie McCarthy was also there, as was the case on Sunday.

Best on the day were probably Hickey at 6, Dowling at 12, Allis and Tommy O'Brien in midfield and Sean Tobin when moved out to the wing.

Good stuff, nice to hear news from it.

I've always liked Tommy O'Brien, good to hear he played well. I'd love to see him get some time in the Championship.

I heard Tom Ryan had a good game?

We definitely need to get our full-back line sorted.
    is that the youngest of the Tobin borthers? is the older fella still on the panel, Pat i think his name is?

No Pat's retired/dropped.

Seanie is the best of them anyway. Great eye for a goal, good work rate.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    No Pat's retired/dropped.

Seanie is the best of them anyway. Great eye for a goal, good work rate.

ah right, Pat was a good sub, used always ruffle a few feathers when he came on, is seanie about 25? i went to college with one of them, think his name was kevin though...

ah right, Pat was a good sub, used always ruffle a few feathers when he came on, is seanie about 25? i went to college with one of them, think his name was kevin though...

Yeah but I think his contribution grew less and less as years went on.

Nah Seanie is younger, about 22. He was overage for the U-21s last year by a month.

Kevin also played for Limerick a few years back. Fairly talented but he was rumoured to be a bit of hothead and he was droppped off the panel and never made it back on.

• Advertisement

Yeah Kevin is the guy im thinking of

Martin Kiely reckons Geary is the best option as full-back for the Championship.

I'd always worry a bit about him there though, the years are catching up with him and he's always had injury problems. Probably at fault for a couple of goals in last year's quarter-final, I think we'd have gone through otherwise. Definitely not the quickest, though he's always been extremely strong in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Martin Kiely reckons Geary is the best option as full-back for the Championship.

I'd always worry a bit about him there though, the years are catching up with him and he's always had injury problems. Probably at fault for a couple of goals in last year's quarter-final, I think we'd have gone through otherwise. Definitely not the quickest, though he's always been extremely strong in the air.

He's very slow alright but the likelihood is for the Tipp match he will be marking either Buggy O'Meara or Eoin Kelly so pace wont really be an issue, Seamus Callinan would be the only possible FF we would have where pace would be an issue.

He's very slow alright but the likelihood is for the Tipp match he will be marking either Buggy O'Meara or Eoin Kelly so pace wont really be an issue, Seamus Callinan would be the only possible FF we would have where pace would be an issue.

That's true...and I wouldn't fancy Richie McCarthy being faced up with Kelly either.

Hickey proved last year that he's not a full-back and shouldn't be played there. Same with GOM. Leaving Condon. The 3 corner-backs in the full-back line could work, all tight man-markers. I'd want Condon to be watching Kelly in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Agree with you. i would go for 3 corner backs too. but maybe Richie Mac could come good in the championship?? is it too late to try Geary at full forward? surley he would have fared better than what we had V Clare in league final. Limerick tend to run at opposing backs now but when we could'nt do this V Clare our option of a long hoof to full forward didnt exist either due to a lack of a ball-winner. Geary is one of the best "high catchers" i've ever seen and would cause problems at 14. but father time has caught up on him legs-wise and for that reason i would'nt like to see him at No.3 Just my opinion BTW...

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Agree with you. i would go for 3 corner backs too. but maybe Richie Mac could come good in the championship?? is it too late to try Geary at full forward? surley he would have fared better than what we had V Clare in league final. Limerick tend to run at opposing backs now but when we could'nt do this V Clare our option of a long hoof to full forward didnt exist either due to a lack of a ball-winner. Geary is one of the best "high catchers" i've ever seen and would cause problems at 14. but father time has caught up on him legs-wise and for that reason i would'nt like to see him at No.3 Just my opinion BTW...

Well Richie Mac is the best club full-back in the country, but I'm not sure whether he's good enough for intercounty. I'd say he probably will be picked considering Allen persisted with him throughout the league. I'd just worry about him against someone like Kelly.

I definitely wouldn't put Geary at full-forward...I know he's well able to catch a ball but I don't think he'd have the necessary movement or ability to take scores under pressure from backs, he's never played forwards for the country team. Downes should be full-forward imo, he's coming back into form, he's well able to win his own ball. And he should be flanked by Tobin and Mulcahy who are also able to win their own ball. Tommy Quaid isn't strong enough imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I see Ciaran Carey has resigned from the county set up, big loss and all but ruins the championship before it has started.

He is very critical of the set up.

liammur wrote: »
    I see Ciaran Carey has resigned from the county set up, big loss and all but ruins the championship before it has started.

He is very critical of the set up.

That's a big shock and not great news.

Doesn't ruin the championship per se, but it hints that all is not well which is disappointing. I thought we'd got over that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Takkies1974

if they lose in four weeks or fall away like they did against Thomond then Ciaran will be vindicated. However if the team win then his action will be looked on as stupid and childish. I for one think like Ciaran that ther the unfittest team ive seen for some years, a team of beefys if you will :)

That's a big shock and not great news.

Doesn't ruin the championship per se, but it hints that all is not well which is disappointing. I thought we'd got over that stuff.

I wouldn't put a cent on them winning a match of any significance now, the bookies have moved tipp in as high as 1/5 on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Jesus Christ, after all the progress made last year we're back to having to put up with sh*te like this again.

And Carey is right, they're nowhere near where they need to be physically, they faded very badly after half an hour in both the Clare games.

What is reported problem with the physical training setup in Limerick?? Are they not having a few pints afterwards anymore or something??

What is reported problem with the physical training setup in Limerick?? Are they not having a few pints afterwards anymore or something??

No pints allowed. Just shorts.

Wow, yet another smartarse comment from you in this thread :rolleyes:

You have a MASSIVE chip on your shoulder when it comes to Limerick for some reason, 90% of your comments here are childish tripe trying to get a rise out of people, so please do explain; what exactly is your problem??

And before you try and deny it, I'm basing what I'm saying here on this. Oh wait, there's a few more than that; like this, and this, and this, and this one and this one and this one and this and that and these and those and here and there and everywhere.

Please do explain your persistent negativity.

Have to say looking from the outside in, Carey seems to be hedging he's bets here and setting himself up for the Job next year, I was suprised that he was a selector this year after basically been passed over for the job in favour of another Cork man, does anyone know if Allen requested him, to have a Limerick input, or was Carey forced upon him as part of the deal??

Oh and btw jordainius, he has been doing that on multiple threads re. Limerick for as long as I can remember and It is amazing the amount of people that take the bait time and time again, trolling can be an art form when done well but he even fails at that, best off to ignore ;)

• Advertisement

Have to say looking from the outside in, Carey seems to be hedging he's bets here and setting himself up for the Job next year, I was suprised that he was a selector this year after basically been passed over for the job in favour of another Cork man, does anyone know if Allen requested him, to have a Limerick input, or was Carey forced upon him as part of the deal??

Oh and btw jordainius, he has been doing that on multiple threads re. Limerick for as long as I can remember and It is amazing the amount of people that take the bait time and time again, trolling can be an art form when done well but he even fails at that, best off to ignore ;)

It's not impossible, I suppose... but I don't think Carey's track record would suggest that he'd be a natural successor to Allen. I'd much prefer someone like TJ Ryan tbh.

I'm not sure whether Carey came as part of the deal, but I'd say he was.

Still it doesn't bode well for the Championship.

It's not impossible, I suppose... but I don't think Carey's track record would suggest that he'd be a natural successor to Allen. I'd much prefer someone like TJ Ryan tbh.

I'm not sure whether Carey came as part of the deal, but I'd say he was.

Still it doesn't bode well for the Championship.

Ah ye'll be grand Fireball, Tipp are in turmoil if the majority of our supporters are to be believed!

Ah ye'll be grand Fireball, Tipp are in turmoil if the majority of our supporters are to be believed!

Ah yeah, but Limerick turmoil always seems to be so much worse than other counties :P

And I had an exam today but I completely forgot that the minor game against Cork is on now. For some reason it's not on the radio, but it's 8-all at half-time apparently.

Limerick won 0-16 to 1-12, great win!

This was the team btw:

1 Darragh Stapleton
    2 Shane Irwin
    3 Richie English
    4 James Carrig
    5 Diarmuid Byrnes
    6 Barry O' Connell
    7 Evan Fitzgerald
    8 Brian Finn
    9 Kieran Cleary
    10 Ronan Lynch
    11 David Condron
    12 Eoin O' Farrell
    13 Kevin O' Brien
    14 Bryan Griffin
    15 Cian Lynch

Tbh I don't know much about them beyond the ones that were in my school. Apparently two of the starting forwards are still U-16. Don't know who the scorers were yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Ronan Lynch got around 10 pts.
    think this guy is still U-16??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Liam O'Sullivan from Knockaderry got the winning point. Knockaderry are "knocking" out some lovely hurlers in recent years, for a relatively small club.

Brilliant win, congrats to all. Great work being done at underage level in the county.

Proud to be a Limerick man in Cork tonight :cool:

jordainius wrote: »
    Wow, yet another smartarse comment from you in this thread :rolleyes:

You have a MASSIVE chip on your shoulder when it comes to Limerick for some reason, 90% of your comments here are childish tripe trying to get a rise out of people, so please do explain; what exactly is your problem??

And before you try and deny it, I'm basing what I'm saying here on this. Oh wait, there's a few more than that; like this, and this, and this, and this one and this one and this one and this and that and these and those and here and there and everywhere.

Please do explain your persistent negativity.

I have no problem with Limerick GAA, i have good time for them and would love to see them make the break through someday and maybe challenge in Munster and the qualifiers. As I said previously Im glad they are finally competitive in division 2, i mean division 1b, would love to see some of the young lads come through and stand up and be counted

like you do so often

I have no problem with Limerick GAA, i have good time for them and would love to see them make the break through someday and maybe challenge in Munster and the qualifiers. As I said previously Im glad they are finally competitive in division 2, i mean division 1b, would love to see some of the young lads come through and stand up and be counted

I rest my case, yet another smartarse comment:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jordainius wrote: »
    I rest my case, yet another smartarse comment:rolleyes:

I'm sorry you feel that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement