Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

dzilla, you were warned not to post in this thread again, do not post here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Exposed. No hiding place today. Forwards just dont have a cutting edge to get goals. Thoroughly out played today. Tipp played some lovely stuff and quelled our mini uprising in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Something special needed, here's hoping. Luimneach abú

My fear after clare was defence as a unit and many know here I said five championship games up today conceded nine goals
    Today now add four in that's thirteen conceded six games
    That's woeful defence statics
    This has been evident all league and unlike Cork no defence full back limerick have best game but unit not coherent or effective so they shouldn't be as bad
    Playing as individuals is the problem in defence and not as a unit

Imagine kk do today dry day that defence
    Limerick management have to take accountability and coaching for defence and also wait fifty minutes bring on downes when breen was poor and waited total half make changes

I genuinely feel sorry limerick players and fans as t limerick management have no proven successful coach and management tactics are not great and be fair were never great
    O shea won the tactic battle by a distance
    I was going for tippeary today to win only for i didn't want tippeary in the qualifier draw round two but I did want limerick competitive game
    Limerick if meet Cork won't fear Cork but I don't think Cork anything fear limerick outside limerick if it's in Thurles etc if we meet in round two etc

I said after clare that limerick struggling beat injured down man team by point was not great sign for the next games
    Huge huge set back as this team while probably do well qualifiers as no stand out team in them but they are no where near an all Ireland
    They showed heart passion commitment and have skilful hurlers no doubt but lack top top coaching set up win all Ireland
    At home and had game over tippeary and tippeary with barret and McGrath out should at least been competitive but they weren't
    The best limerick hope for is all Ireland semi final but likely kk will beat them

As if back line probably haven't been solved now all year there's nothing to say they will improve it in few weeks

Congratulations on the intermediate win all credit due outstanding win by all accounts
    Play Cork now in the final
    Having new team from last year Cork over all Ireland championship limerick having beaten favourite tipp with excellent morrisey and a few more excellent young players limerick have a good chance winning munster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Some cold harsh truths served up to us today, the warning signs have been there for a year, this goes back to when Cork exposed our weakness in the Munster final last year and unfortunately, we either haven't learned from it or we're incapable of putting it right. We have serious issues in our defence, it hasn't always been obvious as its not so much individual performances, as a unit our defence has not been up to scratch for a long time now. It's easy to miss when you're dazzled by outstanding all action individual performances by the likes of McCarthy, Condon and Hickey.

I'm too despondent to say any more about this game right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

What are Limericks permutations now?

• Advertisement

Some cold harsh truths served up to us today, the warning signs have been there for a year, this goes back to when Cork exposed our weakness in the Munster final last year and unfortunately, we either haven't learned from it or we're incapable of putting it right. We have serious issues in our defence, it hasn't always been obvious as its not so much individual performances, as a unit our defence has not been up to scratch for a long time now. It's easy to miss when you're dazzled by outstanding all action individual performances by the likes of McCarthy, Condon and Hickey.

I'm too despondent to say any more about this game right now.
    I agree totally with you my own thoughts to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Very disappointing but rather get found out today and have another bite.

Soft goal conceded and a stupid point from a short puckout.

Then Dowling went for a goal from a free that he should have tapped over, Tipp scored from the clearance.

There was a bad short puckout that went straight over the sideline.

Constantly give Tipp a free run at short puckouts in the first half.

Faded badly but the game was gone by then against the wind.

Hopefully the draw tomorrow will be kind. Its still only June and 3 months to the All Ireland Final.

Nobody in the draw tomorrow is to be feared and Galway in the quarter final are no better than whats in the qualifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

What are Limericks permutations now?

in the draw for the qualifiers tomorow morning where they will meet one of

dublin
    offaly
    laois/westhmeath
    wexford

they will be played in two weeks time as far as ii know

I agree totally with you my own thoughts to be honest.

And you've pretty much been saying the same for a very long time as well to be fair, the writing was on the wall. Some people haven't liked some of the things you say, I don't doubt that you take no pleasure whatsoever out of todays game even if it vindicates some of your opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm not even going to talk about it now tbh, too disappointing. I'm off for a few weeks now, will miss the qualifier. Hopefully we're still involved by the time I'm home.

Well done to the intermediates though, totally outplayed their opponents.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

dublin
    offaly
    laois/westhmeath
    wexford

I believe that's the case, so we could have Clare Limerick and Cork against teams considerably weaker on paper at least.

dublin
    offaly
    laois/westhmeath
    wexford

Two weeks time is correct. Some potentially tricky away trips there. I wouldn't fancy a trip to play the Dubs in Parnell Park or a long trip down to Wexford. We should defeat Laois or Westmeath regardless of venue, as for Offaly, we're a better team than them but Offaly love playing us in championship hurling, plus they have been responsible for us not getting out of division 1B for the last two seasons. They would love to get us.

elastico wrote: »
    I believe that's the case, so we could have Clare Limerick and Cork against teams considerably weaker on paper at least.

yep basicaly its munster losers v leinster losers in the first round
    round 2 will be an open draw for the winners but limerick cant meet clare as they have played already should both teams advance

And you've pretty much been saying the same for a very long time as well to be fair, the writing was on the wall. Some people haven't liked some of the things you say, I don't doubt that you take no pleasure whatsoever out of todays game even if it vindicates some of your opinions.

I genuinely don't like see limerick loose that much the only reason I going tipp was thought limerick be better draw for us just like understandably limerick would rather Cork draw than tippeary etc
    The defence is at poor as Cork goals wise but Cork have no options limerick actually half best full-back game but gets no protection at half back and individuals are there just not working as a unit

When a unit is ineffective and individuals are there imo comes down to coaching
    Bears Clark committed limerick hurling men no doubt but their coaching imo unproven top level
    Some one like mcdonagh Peter finn or declan Fitzgerald would imo make huge difference to this team and tj could still be manager

Great managers are great as have great coaches around them take pressure of them by coaching basics and systems so well
    Like Cork limerick have to develop possession game
    Only way forward imo

Two weeks time is correct. Some potentially tricky away trips there. I wouldn't fancy a trip to play the Dubs in Parnell Park or a long trip down to Wexford. We should defeat Laois or Westmeath regardless of venue, as for Offaly, we're a better team than them but Offaly love playing us in championship hurling, plus they have been responsible for us not getting out of division 1B for the last two seasons. They would love to get us.

i think the ideal draw for either clare or limerick would probably be dublin or wexford at home i dont think hammering one of the other teams would do much good , espicaly when a team has somthing to try and put right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Tipp must have score a dozen + scores off Limerick puckouts. Limerick's short game was totally unsuited to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Puck outs were a disaster, lost the game right there, we played into paidi maher and tipps hands, 3rd midfielder was a waste of time, we needed a sweeper.

This was all too predictable

the injuries, lack of goals, individuals who aren't up to it all came back to haunt us today, and it'll happen again if we don't react.

We need another 3 seanie o briens, our best performer. John fitz needs to start the next day.

Next day
    Nicky and Fitz have to come back in

Dodgy only really a sub

Honestly think the back door my suit us we need more games we're way off the standard, if we're not good enough to beat 1 of those 4 sides then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

dublin
    offaly
    laois/westhmeath
    wexford

Thanks windy.

Tipp must have score a dozen + scores off Limerick puckouts. Limerick's short game was totally unsuited to the team.

Limerick only way forward is the short game
    The reason it's bad today as they never actually play it league done it against clare as force will rather than a choice
    Chopping changing styles no good in you need consistent cohesion and telephaty short games only can be refined by regular practice like any system is the same like Donegal clare Newtown hurling etc

Surely the past forty years proved long direct game is long gone for Limerick and traditional hurling won't win you all Ireland
    Cork and limerick have to evolve with the times
    Traditional ways are nothing unless you allow evolution to happen
    It's the only way to survive
    Kerry proved it in football and jack o Connor who said never play sweeper or kerry allow blanket any team well won two all Ireland last year and now likes sheehy selector says new ways best think ever happened kerry as it made them stronger

Kilkenny who apparently don't do system played sweeper today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Hard luck lad's but ye were warned by Thinkstoomuch about TJ Ryan but ye were too stubborn to listen to him.Im telling ye that all Ireland semi final last year and the celebrations at nearly beating an under par Kilkenny team were the worst thing ever to happen to ye.That's the problem in Limerick yere not angry enough with going 40 years and counting without an all ireland.Yere not angry enough at being stuck in division 2 as Donal Og said.Limerick hurling like the top table of the GAA hierarchy in Cork needs an attitude change.Limerick hurling is just too happy to accept the brave and moral defeat.The players are there in Limerick but it's all about the attitude and if this defeat makes people realise that TJ Ryan is too old school a manager for Limerick then it will do ye the power of good.Limerick hurling has to stop being happy enough with mediocrity.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Puck outs were a disaster, lost the game right there, we played into paidi maher and tipps hands, 3rd midfielder was a waste of time, we needed a sweeper.

This was all too predictable

the injuries, lack of goals, individuals who aren't up to it all came back to haunt us today, and it'll happen again if we don't react.

We need another 3 seanie o briens, our best performer. John fitz needs to start the next day.

I said it here earlier in the week, we have lads who aren't doin it against big teams!! doin it in training and in camp matches doesn't count for jack when it comes to championship, that's where the men stand up, we have lads starting for limerick who aren't even dominating games in the senior championship for there clubs, and genuine hurling men here will if their honest will agree with me. I have been to a fair share of club games and have never seen limerick management present! All of a sudden a lad scored 2-4 in a club game and it's bring him in he must be good we will have a look at him, nothing about the centre forward who set 2-3 up for him !! The set up needs to change it's same old story too long

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The day Ritchie got a roasting was always coming one way or another. he lacks pace and today it was evident. Not sure Condon @ Full back is the answer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

It seems to me that a one or two of the intermediate lads should be on senior team. Any one agree ?

I don't really want to slaughter individual players, it has to be said that Tipperary were well worth their win, even if the scoreline seems harsh, although arguably it was fair. Even if every one of our players played well I'm not sure it would have mattered, strategy was the let down today. To a large degree we're stuck in the past in terms of how we set up, there's a strong touch of "traditional" Limerick hurling. The game has moved on, and in any case, "traditional" Limerick hurling has yielded one All-Ireland title since the second World War.

All-Ireland? Absolutely not going to happen this year. Right now, getting back to the quarter-finals is a must. We will have a winnable game next time out, get over that hurdle and we can't meet Clare in the second round. Will most likely be Cork or one of Wexford or Dublin. There's no team in the qualifiers we can't beat. And we need to win the next two games, otherwise the season (including the league) has been a disaster. A step backwards. Today was a huge blow, just two short weeks to get over it and get the show back on the road. Not enough time to make any major changes tactically.

Like I said at the start, I'm not going to criticise individuals. Hard to pick out positives though, I was critical of Hannon after the Clare game, today was an improvement from him, got a few nice scores and got a bit more involved than the last day. Lynch did his best, was tightly marked and crowded out a few times, a few lovely touches and pick ups and tried a few passes that most players wouldn't. Could have done with a bit more support at times. Seanie O'Brien; by no means perfect but justified his selection in my opinion. A few of the players who had injury issues in the lead up were rusty.

Puck outs a major concern, we need to improve there. Would like to see us be better with possession, retain the ball better, players need to stop being as static, no point sticking to positions when in possession, particularly in the forwards, more movement and interchangeability required up there, we tend not to drag opposing defenders all over the place, we don't force their men to pick between manning their zone or following our man.

A lot of things today pointing to one-dimensional coaching. TJ Ryan is an excellent man-manager, and a good man to spearhead a management team, but has he got the right men around him? The players are supposed to have a big input into how the team sets up and plays, that is not to say they are running the show, I can 100% confirm that, but maybe the management need to take a firmer grip of the steering wheel. The funny thing is that's partly where the issues were that led to Donal O'Grady's departure last year. O'Grady is less inclined to go with the players input than Ryan, Ryan is more in tune with the players. A pity that didn't work out in a way, they complement each other quite well in some ways.

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    I said it here earlier in the week, we have lads who aren't doin it against big teams!! doin it in training and in camp matches doesn't count for jack when it comes to championship, that's where the men stand up, we have lads starting for limerick who aren't even dominating games in the senior championship for there clubs, and genuine hurling men here will if their honest will agree with me. I have been to a fair share of club games and have never seen limerick management present! All of a sudden a lad scored 2-4 in a club game and it's bring him in he must be good we will have a look at him, nothing about the centre forward who set 2-3 up for him !! The set up needs to change it's same old story too long

Out of curiosity who's the centre forward?

Cummins great keeper I mean really really great keeper and done lot good work laois kerry but imo terrible pundit just usual stuff no ruthless call it as it is

He says limerick can improve like tipp last year and limerick great v kk
    I said it then kk moral point defeat worst thing happened them as thought they were fine, tipp and kk evolved they haven't and so so predicable teams know how beat them

Out of all teams beaten championship clare real ones with hope in yes struggle get fully fit team but heart resolve want desire almost get two wins league v kk and ran limerick point down man missing three key lads at least know huge improvement

Cork lesser extent in Harnedy and mcloughlin make huge difference but full back is the problem

Limerick were missing no real players make huge difference in tobin isn't great as he's made out be and limerick don't do change so I can't see them improving

Could yes get semi final but if kk play them kk learned so much last year game will have kk much better
    Cummins said limerick improve from mistake
    I'm sorry but this does not add up as clear as day conceded nine goals in five games up today were conceding goals in league yet management ignored the problem
    Now in six games they conceded twelve goals and it could been easily six goal today

How is that learning form the league
    Wexford should beaten them in the league but the long aimless balls attack were again evident today as we're v offaly also
    Tippeary played deep and dragged limerick all over the place just like clare did but management failed to react

Tippeary had the forwards clare had absent to punish them
    I have no doubt clare with galvin McGrath Collins would won and won well v limerick and if clare met limerick again they will beat them

Tippeary and clare This and last year lost to indiscipline also and once you stop that limerick don't score from play as despite good forwards don't play as a unit and got only ten points from play where tippeary got four goals and seventeenth points from play
    Clare out scored limerick from play also by two ten to limerick one eight
    A statics shows the gap between the top

The warning signs have been there since last year in limerick never improved
    Kk today all scores in the ist half were from play
    Limerick are no where near the top teams scoring wise from play and added to the defence issues have a lot problem in the team

None of the intermediate are ready bar morrisey but not now as he's brilliant player and he's time will come

Problem isn't the players it's the system within

I don't doubt as other poster said Ryan is great man management and he could work if he had a coach but he needs a proven coach
    That can only be solved by him as he decides who he brings in and doesn't

This is a huge huge blow to limerick and on top playing division two next year not good
    Bar the exception to the rule this year it won't happen next year lower league team wins the league
    And as the championship hits crunch time the difference will be shown as waterford will be beaten in the big games

• Advertisement

Worringly today's game reminded of TJ's effort with the u-21's incoherent and disjointed, no discernable game plan. Ok Tipp are 2nd best team in country and have a dynamite set of forwards but it doesnt look good. A mountain of work to be done for 2 weeks time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement