Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

i think the ideal draw for either clare or limerick would probably be dublin or wexford at home i dont think hammering one of the other teams would do much good , espicaly when a team has somthing to try and put right
    Spot on. Pointless meeting any of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Out of curiosity who's the centre forward?

Ah I'm not being specific to a degree, I've been at matches where the no 11 does donkey work offloads to the lad who finishes, he gets his name in the paper for 2-3 scored or whatever and then gets a call to train with the seniors! ( has happened this year) It's the selection process that's the problem. Now I'm not goin to name lads but You understand my point

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Out of all teams beaten championship clare real ones with hope in yes struggle get fully fit team but heart resolve want desire almost get two wins league v kk and ran limerick point down man missing three key lads at least know huge improvement

Cork lesser extent in Harnedy and mcloughlin make huge difference but full back is the problem

Limerick were missing no real players make huge difference in tobin isn't great as he's made out be and limerick don't do change so I can't see them improving

Could yes get semi final but if kk play them kk learned so much last year game will have kk much better
    Cummins said limerick improve from mistake
    I'm sorry but this does not add up as clear as day conceded nine goals in five games up today were conceding goals in league yet management ignored the problem
    Now in six games they conceded twelve goals and it could been easily six goal today

How is that learning form the league
    Wexford should beaten them in the league but the long aimless balls attack were again evident today as we're v offaly also
    Tippeary played deep and dragged limerick all over the place just like clare did but management failed to react

Tippeary had the forwards clare had absent to punish them
    I have no doubt clare with galvin McGrath Collins would won and won well v limerick and if clare met limerick again they will beat them

Tippeary and clare This and last year lost to indiscipline also and once you stop that limerick don't score from play as despite good forwards don't play as a unit and got only ten points from play where tippeary got four goals and seventeenth points from play
    Clare out scored limerick from play also by two ten to limerick one eight
    A statics shows the gap between the top

The warning signs have been there since last year in limerick never improved
    Kk today all scores in the ist half were from play
    Limerick are no where near the top teams scoring wise from play and added to the defence issues have a lot problem in the team

None of the intermediate are ready bar morrisey but not now as he's brilliant player and he's time will come

Problem isn't the players it's the system within

I don't doubt as other poster said Ryan is great man management and he could work if he had a coach but he needs a proven coach
    That can only be solved by him as he decides who he brings in and doesn't

This is a huge huge blow to limerick and on top playing division two next year not good
    Bar the exception to the rule this year it won't happen next year lower league team wins the league
    And as the championship hits crunch time the difference will be shown as waterford will be beaten in the big games

I'd agree with most of the above but do feel quaid's importance to the team is hugely underestimated and him not being there today was a huge loss to us it wouldn't have chaanged the result but the sooner he returns the better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

lim4ev wrote: »
    I'd agree with most of the above but do feel quaid's importance to the team is hugely underestimated and him not being there today was a huge loss to us it wouldn't have chaanged the result but the sooner he returns the better

Fair point quaid massive loss no doubt about is starter when fit

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hockied

Thinks too much,
    Wouldn't have even considered Morrissey for seniors. Interesting choice. Thought O'Connell or griffin much nearer the mark for seniors for instance .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Cummins great keeper I mean really really great keeper and done lot good work laois kerry but imo terrible pundit just usual stuff no ruthless call it as it is

He says limerick can improve like tipp last year and limerick great v kk
    I said it then kk moral point defeat worst thing happened them as thought they were fine, tipp and kk evolved they haven't and so so predicable teams know how beat them

Out of all teams beaten championship clare real ones with hope in yes struggle get fully fit team but heart resolve want desire almost get two wins league v kk and ran limerick point down man missing three key lads at least know huge improvement

Cork lesser extent in Harnedy and mcloughlin make huge difference but full back is the problem

Limerick were missing no real players make huge difference in tobin isn't great as he's made out be and limerick don't do change so I can't see them improving

Could yes get semi final but if kk play them kk learned so much last year game will have kk much better
    Cummins said limerick improve from mistake
    I'm sorry but this does not add up as clear as day conceded nine goals in five games up today were conceding goals in league yet management ignored the problem
    Now in six games they conceded twelve goals and it could been easily six goal today

How is that learning form the league
    Wexford should beaten them in the league but the long aimless balls attack were again evident today as we're v offaly also
    Tippeary played deep and dragged limerick all over the place just like clare did but management failed to react

Tippeary had the forwards clare had absent to punish them
    I have no doubt clare with galvin McGrath Collins would won and won well v limerick and if clare met limerick again they will beat them

Tippeary and clare This and last year lost to indiscipline also and once you stop that limerick don't score from play as despite good forwards don't play as a unit and got only ten points from play where tippeary got four goals and seventeenth points from play
    Clare out scored limerick from play also by two ten to limerick one eight
    A statics shows the gap between the top

Limerick are no where near the top teams scoring wise from play and added to the defence issues have a lot problem in the team

None of the intermediate are ready bar morrisey but not now as he's brilliant player and he's time will come

Problem isn't the players it's the system within

I don't doubt as other poster said Ryan is great man management and he could work if he had a coach but he needs a proven coach
    That can only be solved by him as he decides who he brings in and doesn't

This is a huge huge blow to limerick and on top playing division two next year not good
    Bar the exception to the rule this year it won't happen next year lower league team wins the league
    And as the championship hits crunch time the difference will be shown as waterford will be beaten in the big games

Any chance you can quit posting leaving cert essays and just give us a few points people have time to quickly read and comment on.

elastico wrote: »
    Any chance you can quit posting leaving cert essays and just give us a few points people have time to quickly read and comment on.

I respect your right to your opinion
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Compare the performance of our backs to Tipps. Every time the ball was put into the corner for Cian or Graeme and you can see the Tipp half backs getting back to crowd them out.

Our half forward line was cleaned out and they just haven't shown they can win their own ball.

We just don't create clear cut goal chances. Look at how Tipp got theirs, direct running through the centre from midfield. No defence likes being run at.

Richie will be disappointed today, letting the ball in behind is a full back line no no. Very next ball that went up he stayed behind the yard and callinan popped it over. Got no help from the half back line at all.

Lost track of how many times we shot ourselves in the foot between bad puckouts, bad control, bad shot selection.

Paul Browne showed how important he is. Our little fightback was instigated by him but then Tipp woke up. A dark day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Today: Kilkenny 5-25 Wexford 0-16

Last year's QF: Limerick 4-26 Wexford 1-11

You need to maybe keep Kilkenny's scores from play in perspective. Limerick beat Wexford by the same amount last July.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Today: Kilkenny 5-25 Wexford 0-16

Last year's QF: Limerick 4-26 Wexford 1-11

You need to maybe keep Kilkenny's scores from play in perspective. Limerick beat Wexford by the same amount last July.
    Completely irrelevant in Wexford were four games in row tired were they not
    Clare outscored limerick two ten to one eight from play and tippeary four goals and seventeenth to limerick ten points or so from play
    Look at limerick kk last year also from play when kk outscored them two goals and nine to twelve points from play
    Explain the last two games that limerick were outscored by their opponents from play
    Don't forget clare were also missing key forwards

And with respect your missing the point of debate in my correlation is scores from play and while I don't regard the Wexford game as true last year seen as your highlights it
    From play now not total scores you picked from play Limerick last year got around four goals seventeen in the game
    Today from Wexford game kk got four twenty one from play
    I think by the statics shows limerick were second best from play
    My point is once teams hold their discipline limerick struggle from play to our score teams and it's not due to a lack of scoring forwards imo

• Advertisement

Away to Westmeath. God knows how we'll go.

Browney7 wrote: »
    Away to Westmeath. God knows how we'll go.

It's terrible draw in yell win handy and Ryan will talk the talk that look tipp was a blip these things happen it's sport but boys putting in unseen hard work He will reference tipp and clare having good qualifier runs when problem won't be rectified

Home draw against good team is what ye needed as round two Dublin Wexford or clare will be tough or Cork and Cork or Wexford who ever wins will have tough game to iron out mistake and Dublin possibly so limerick won't learn anything really with respect to westmeath

This is typically game limerick score four or five goals but given against top team then struggle for goals
    This game isn't much good to limerick as you learn nothing in these games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Mixed feelings there, as a traveling supporter Mullingar is the last thing I wanted. Not really sure how useful this game will be. I'll take it though, I was fearful of being dealt a trip to either Parnell Park or Wexford Park, at least that was avoided.

We should win this, Clare should win their game. A second round game means we'll have to take out one of Dublin (who you'd expect to beat Laois) or the winners of Wexford and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭LMK

We played well for 2 x 10 minute spells, after Dowlings goal we missed 3 point chances to bring it level, at that stage Tipp were very shaky.
    That type of match with reduced Limerick intensity, Tipp will win every single time.
    Our discipline was poor, I thought the forwards could have exerted more pressure on the tipp backs when they had possession, and when we had possession they could have given the man in possession more options.
    Too much room in front of Ritchie and Hickey especially in the first half, Walsh was lost as the spare man not his strength.
    Thought Dowling and Lynch were our best on the day.
    Have to say though that Bubbles is one serious forward.

It's terrible draw in yell win handy and Ryan will talk the talk that look tipp was a blip these things happen it's sport but boys putting in unseen hard work He will reference tipp and clare having good qualifier runs when problem won't be rectified

Home draw against good team is what ye needed as round two Dublin Wexford or clare will be tough or Cork and Cork or Wexford who ever wins will have tough game to iron out mistake and Dublin possibly so limerick won't learn anything really with respect to westmeath

This is typically game limerick score four or five goals but given against top team then struggle for goals
    This game isn't much good to limerick as you learn nothing in these games

Hard to know what'll be said. Not fair to judge him on what he says though when it comes to it. He can't come out and lambast the players. He may well lambast them in the dressing room or run the sh1te out of them in training but publicly he should say it was a bad day at the office for all and sundry.

Look it, Westmeath and Michael Ryan might target this all guns blazing. No upside to this game at all for us. Ye'll take Wexford barring JBM losing the dressing room (highly doubt he has or will though).

Realistically we'll be playing ye or Dublin in Thurles as we can't play Clare again and they should take care of the Biffos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Thats a good draw, we need 2 weeks to recover from injuries, the KK challenge was madness and we paid a price for it yesterday. Having 8 fellas on physio was always going to effect us, you cant have quality training sessions with half team injured and our squad was already threadbare. Add in the poor attitude to the league and yesterdays result against a top class outfit was predictable. Beat westmeath and try and get a short game going with players running off shoulders etc and carry it through to the real challenge in subsequent qualifier. Im not holding out any hope for an AI

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

Folks, anyone else wondering at why Seamus Hickey was left on Bubbles so long? You'd imagine after the 4th point a change (even if only for sake of change) was called for.

I'm not intending to slate Hickey at all in fact he's one of my favourite limerick hurlers and he couldn't do much about the delivery Bubbles was getting but it seems odd and points to a lack of trust in the other defenders that they were not put on him. All that said he was probably untouchable yesterday.

Hard to know what'll be said. Not fair to judge him on what he says though when it comes to it. He can't come out and lambast the players. He may well lambast them in the dressing room or run the sh1te out of them in training but publicly he should say it was a bad day at the office for all and sundry.

Look it, Westmeath and Michael Ryan might target this all guns blazing. No upside to this game at all for us. Ye'll take Wexford barring JBM losing the dressing room (highly doubt he has or will though).

Realistically we'll be playing ye or Dublin in Thurles as we can't play Clare again and they should take care of the Biffos.
    Wexford be a dicy game for Cork
    Cork have sort full back as McDonald could go to town and we need play a sweeper
    I think Cork limerick round two would suit both teams as both teams play style suit both managers
    Cork need avoid clare if they beat Wexford

I think there's tough game for Limerick in round two either way if it's away from home
    Westmeath will target ye but they just don't have the players and Hannon or lynch or dowling brilliant game will have this game won handy but ye could win still have problems as westmeath won't have enough possession to test ye and there movement would not keep limerick spread out across the ptich so limerick could win by twenty point like beat antrim hugely before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I think there's tough game for Limerick in round two either way if it's away from home

Probably be in Thurles and be a neutral venue for all?

Looks like Dublin, Cork, Clare and Limerick so a tough game for all teams.

elastico wrote: »
    Probably be in Thurles and be a neutral venue for all?

Looks like Dublin, Cork, Clare and Limerick so a tough game for all teams.

Thanks you could be right regarding Thurles
    Cork game is fifty to fifty especially if Wexford stay in games long as possible and have no doubt after yesterday they will play a sweeper and maybe two even and Cork hate sweeper system
    They had huge league lead in the spring in cork But Cork finished strong but at home there tough tough team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

LMK wrote: »
    We played well for 2 x 10 minute spells, after Dowlings goal we missed 3 point chances to bring it level, at that stage Tipp were very shaky.
    That type of match with reduced Limerick intensity, Tipp will win every single time.
    Our discipline was poor, I thought the forwards could have exerted more pressure on the tipp backs when they had possession, and when we had possession they could have given the man in possession more options.
    Too much room in front of Ritchie and Hickey especially in the first half, Walsh was lost as the spare man not his strength.
    Thought Dowling and Lynch were our best on the day.
    Have to say though that Bubbles is one serious forward.

Westmeath in the qualifiers, probably a decent draw in that players get a win under their belt and set up for a real winner takes all contest against Dublin or wex/cork...
    yesterday was shocking though, big Limerick crowd and had nothing really to shout for, what is it about Limerick, when expectation rises and a crowd turns out it gets at the team and they wilt under the pressure, major surgery needed though after yesterday, Richie had a harrowing afternoon, he doesn't look like a guy that is looking after himself and if he doesn't take that lesson on his Limerick career will be over soon, thought the Limerick back line didn't defend as a unit at all and the half back line and full back line were at odds all through, Stephen Walsh, while a solid cb, doesn't have the speed of hurling for this level, unfortunately. Seanie o brien had a decent game and is deserving of a place but don't think he has the defensive instincts, might be better at midfield, paudie was poor enough, the half forward line had no pace, think dodge has to become an impact sub, would give his place to kevin downed on the proviso that if he doesn't deliver this year his time is probably up too,
    There was no movement in the forwards at all, dunno if they need a forwards coach to come in and give them some pointers because they don't look like getting more than 10 points from play as a unit...
    intermediates provided a bright spot, they hopefully will win next day out, some of the minors such as Cosgrave, roman lynch, Nash should be drafted in, see Dylan Dawson was a sub on the programme, depending on how the rest of the year pans out it may be time to do a Waterford and rebuild with youth, whether with TJ at the helm remains to be seen, will be painful but the hard decisions have to be made...

Intermediate game is Wednesday two weeks in limerick I think and with finn and morrisey etc limerick doing right thing playing minors last year
    Credit due limerick management learned last year
    Cork over being champion have new team and dwane has doubts as coach over tactics so limerick would imo be favourite here and morrisey looking at Cork full back i think he'll cause him problem as finn good club Player but morrisey is unreal

What's the word on Ronan Lynch lads? Could be good to bring him into the squad now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Bad day at the office yesterday. Full back line was cleaned out by Callanan and Bubbles. I won't give any ratings but just a brief review on how i think everyone played yesterday:

Hennessey - Can get fine distance on his puckout but his short puckouts and decision making are very poor. He doesn't instil much confidence in goals and we desperately need Quaid back. Dropped a few weak shots at him and gave away a needless 65. Would Murphy do better? Probably not...

Walsh - Probably the best of the full back line but that's not saying much! He's fairly consistent and his decision making is good. Deserves his place in the team

McCarthy - Absolutely roasted all afternoon. Won some ball in the first 10 minutes but Callanan cleaned him out after that. Lack of pace is clear to see. Hopefully it was just a one-off because he has been one of our best players since his move to full back.

Hickey - Another bad day at the office for him. I lost count of the amount of times a Tipp score came from a mistake or poor defending from Hickey. Probably our worst player yesterday which is a big turn around from last year.

Seanie O' Brien - Perhaps one of our best players yesterday. Far from perfect and as mentioned above, he lacks the defensive attributes to become a mainstay at half back, at intercounty level anyway, but his pace caused problems and did a lot of running to set up chances and even get a point himself. I'd love to see his scoring record from half-back as i think he may have scored in every game he has played this year, including his 5 minute cameo against Wexford in the league!

O'Mahony - Played well in the first half and he's now without doubt our best option for centre back. Made some mistakes in the second half but at that stage Limerick were out of it

Condon - Played ok, nothing special. Not much else to say really!

Ryan - I can't remember seeing him on the ball much at all. Very unlike him.

Paudie O'Brien - Got on a bit of ball but very wasteful once again. Needs to be putting in the performances that we all know he's capable of.

O'Grady - Scored a nice point but was fairly quiet. This will probably be his last season I'd say

Hannon - 3 nice points in the first half and a big improvement from the Clare match. Still not playing half as good as we know he can but i'm pleased to see an improvement

Breen - Scored a nice point but other than that he was very very poor. I said it last year and was slated for it but how do people justify his selection in the team? Doesn't contribute anything and can't catch a ball albeit being taller than most players on the pitch.

Mulcahy - We need to get him on the ball more. Has the pace to trouble teams but just isn't getting enough quality ball in to him. Played ok i thought

Dowling - Is it me or does he look unfit? I know its been said before but surely with all the training for Na Piarsigh and Limerick you'd have to be some bit fit! Played alright but didn't get him enough ball also. Scorcher of a penalty

Lynch - Was moved into midfield at one stage to get some ball but was crowded out a lot also. Played as well as he could with the ball he was given.

Subs:

Browne - Massive difference once he came on but hit a few wides also. You could see as the game went on his fitness wasn't up to scratch so justified not starting him but we need a fully fit Browne if we're to be beating anyone

Downes - Didn't contribute anything. Very disappointing to see him consistently not performing for Limerick

Fitzgibbon - Got on a lot of ball and played well I thought. Fighting for a place in the team and wouldn't be surprised to see him start against Westmeath instead of Paudie O'Brien or O'Grady.

MacNamara - Didn't do much when he came on and probably justifies Seanie starting ahead of him. Very handy sub to have anyway.

Reidy - I think he got on 1 ball and just pumped it into the forward line. Seems to be a favourite of TJs and will see some game time. I thought Adrian Breen or Thomas O'Brien would have been better options though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Just to separate posts, a few comments on the intermediate game.

Great win for Limerick but I'd love to know how many wides Tipp had. Would I be exaggerating in saying 30? Every ball that went in was wide.

Standout players were O'Connell, Byrnes, O'Donnell, Griffin and Morrissey. My man of the match would have been Byrnes. Won so much ball although ran into trouble when carrying the ball at times. Most impressive though was his passing. It was excellent all game. Found his man with a bullet of a pass time and time again. Morrissey didn't get as much ball as he would have liked but he pointed every chance he got. Not ready for senior yet as his work rate isn't the best but very promising. Griffin very good once again.

What's the word on Ronan Lynch lads? Could be good to bring him into the squad now?

Finished he's leaving and wasn't going get involved til after it
    Likely to train with them but lynch unfair ask for him save limerick now and this management probably aren't ruthless enough to go against lynch favourite position of he's wants be forward when limerick need him as a back

Tom Ryan man should be tried get back
    Riche mac is getting a torrid time and imo unfair as he's been outstanding limerick last few years and one bad game but always done well v callilan even made superb hook last year problem was tippeary dragged him all over the shop just like clare and he had no protection from half back line at all

People blame him need blame system
    Lynch worked hard can not be faulted as imo not support well
    I also blame management for not having the wisdom to say look ist year you had press media up to clare your not do any v tipp as look tipp they learned with no press evening lead up game and only experience players done media interview

I don't blame lynch at all but should be kept out spotlight by management
    Do you see cody allowing young lads doing it so early no he is cute

Limerick half back line needs radical change and also need a sweeper

Colemania wrote: »
    Bad day at the office yesterday. Full back line was cleaned out by Callanan and Bubbles. I won't give any ratings but just a brief review on how i think everyone played yesterday:

Hennessey - Can get fine distance on his puckout but his short puckouts and decision making are very poor. He doesn't instil much confidence in goals and we desperately need Quaid back. Dropped a few weak shots at him and gave away a needless 65. Would Murphy do better? Probably not...

Walsh - Probably the best of the full back line but that's not saying much! He's fairly consistent and his decision making is good. Deserves his place in the team

McCarthy - Absolutely roasted all afternoon. Won some ball in the first 10 minutes but Callanan cleaned him out after that. Lack of pace is clear to see. Hopefully it was just a one-off because he has been one of our best players since his move to full back.

Hickey - Another bad day at the office for him. I lost count of the amount of times a Tipp score came from a mistake or poor defending from Hickey. Probably our worst player yesterday which is a big turn around from last year.

Seanie O' Brien - Perhaps one of our best players yesterday. Far from perfect and as mentioned above, he lacks the defensive attributes to become a mainstay at half back, at intercounty level anyway, but his pace caused problems and did a lot of running to set up chances and even get a point himself. I'd love to see his scoring record from half-back as i think he may have scored in every game he has played this year, including his 5 minute cameo against Wexford in the league!

O'Mahony - Played well in the first half and he's now without doubt our best option for centre back. Made some mistakes in the second half but at that stage Limerick were out of it

Condon - Played ok, nothing special. Not much else to say really!

Ryan - I can't remember seeing him on the ball much at all. Very unlike him.

Paudie O'Brien - Got on a bit of ball but very wasteful once again. Needs to be putting in the performances that we all know he's capable of.

O'Grady - Scored a nice point but was fairly quiet. This will probably be his last season I'd say

Hannon - 3 nice points in the first half and a big improvement from the Clare match. Still not playing half as good as we know he can but i'm pleased to see an improvement

Breen - Scored a nice point but other than that he was very very poor. I said it last year and was slated for it but how do people justify his selection in the team? Doesn't contribute anything and can't catch a ball albeit being taller than most players on the pitch.

Mulcahy - We need to get him on the ball more. Has the pace to trouble teams but just isn't getting enough quality ball in to him. Played ok i thought

Dowling - Is it me or does he look unfit? I know its been said before but surely with all the training for Na Piarsigh and Limerick you'd have to be some bit fit! Played alright but didn't get him enough ball also. Scorcher of a penalty

Lynch - Was moved into midfield at one stage to get some ball but was crowded out a lot also. Played as well as he could with the ball he was given.

Subs:

Browne - Massive difference once he came on but hit a few wides also. You could see as the game went on his fitness wasn't up to scratch so justified not starting him but we need a fully fit Browne if we're to be beating anyone

Downes - Didn't contribute anything. Very disappointing to see him consistently not performing for Limerick

Fitzgibbon - Got on a lot of ball and played well I thought. Fighting for a place in the team and wouldn't be surprised to see him start against Westmeath instead of Paudie O'Brien or O'Grady.

MacNamara - Didn't do much when he came on and probably justifies Seanie starting ahead of him. Very handy sub to have anyway.

Reidy - I think he got on 1 ball and just pumped it into the forward line. Seems to be a favourite of TJs and will see some game time. I thought Adrian Breen or Thomas O'Brien would have been better options though
    I'd agree regards breen totally and like you never rated him better than others
    Tj huge fan certain type hurler and won't change
    Downes great potential but never gets sustainable run so confident is shattered yet breen get game after game and while Hannon was good at the start he faded badly and as nick English said it's time for him to push on
    If not others should start
    Breen should got time but he's not rated by this management either it seems
    Guaranteed this will be put down to a blip in work rate etc and an off day and there won't be many changes the next day
    This set up you look at it doesn't change much as it's not their way

I'd agree regards breen totally and like you never rated him better than others
    Tj huge fan certain type hurler and won't change
    Downes great potential but never gets sustainable run so confident is shattered yet breen get game after game and while Hannon was good at the start he faded badly and as nick English said it's time for him to push on
    If not others should start
    Breen should got time but he's not rated by this management either it seems
    Guaranteed this will be put down to a blip in work rate etc and an off day and there won't be many changes the next day
    This set up you look at it doesn't change much as it's not their way
    Horses for courses, you can't just play your 'best' 6 forwards and be done with it, breen brings more physicality to the half forward line, not his biggest fan but he is there to do a job, Downes couldn't do the same job as breen, I think they should start Downes in place of dodge next day to get his confidence up and then see how he does against a higher calibre of opponent, if it's not good enough then at least we know where we are with him...Adrian breen has had chances in the league but never really grasped the opportunity when it came his way, no way could you trust him to start a championship match...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

It all feels like its unravelling

Outside the first 10 minutes of each half we cant have scored very much, big concern, once the game settled into a pattern and became one of tactics and skill we were comprehensively beaten. Individual performances too played a huge part those are 6 serious forwards, we look to have our 3 best inside and dont get ball to them quick enough and when we do they were totally crowded out.

Puck outs are an issue have been all year, static players waiting for ball to come to them etc

Game plan, we dont have one, and havent all year

Big problems in full back line and have had all year (injuries have played a role here) but not having dempsey available is a huge mistake.

Our attitude to the league was a mistake, while we did get the win over clare (who have their own problems) we were left totally short yesterday.

We simply have to be more tactically aware the next day, we had a breeze worth 6 points yesterday and conceded it by allowing Paidi maher to mop up everything and leaving acres in front of our own full back up against a serious operator, not good enough.

We can call for changes in personnel and some have to be made but really its tactics and approach that are wrong.

• Advertisement

It all feels like its unravelling

Outside the first 10 minutes of each half we cant have scored very much, big concern, once the game settled into a pattern and became one of tactics and skill we were comprehensively beaten. Individual performances too played a huge part those are 6 serious forwards, we look to have our 3 best inside and dont get ball to them quick enough and when we do they were totally crowded out.

Puck outs are an issue have been all year, static players waiting for ball to come to them etc

Game plan, we dont have one, and havent all year

Big problems in full back line and have had all year (injuries have played a role here) but not having dempsey available is a huge mistake.

Our attitude to the league was a mistake, while we did get the win over clare (who have their own problems) we were left totally short yesterday.

We simply have to be more tactically aware the next day, we had a breeze worth 6 points yesterday and conceded it by allowing Paidi maher to mop up everything and leaving acres in front of our own full back up against a serious operator, not good enough.

We can call for changes in personnel and some have to be made but really its tactics and approach that are wrong.
    Agree with that, letting Dempsey off the panel was a mistake, he would be pushing for a start at half back or corner back now...I think they thought that the tactics worked against Clare but now we can go back to 15 against 15 with tipp and have an old ding dong battle, they were out thought and they ruthlessly exposed our weaknesses, I have said it before in addition to that we are carrying a lot of players on the panel/team that are woefully out of form, whether that is a short term thing or running out of steam after 4-5 years on the go is hard to know,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement